Author Topic: Antitheft device for keyboards / HHKB Pro 2?  (Read 6446 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Antitheft device for keyboards / HHKB Pro 2?
« on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:59:23 »
Hey all,

I should be working in a "co-working" / "hackerspace" thinggy starting from september. I saw that several people had Kensington locks on their laptops.

The goal is obviously not to protect oneself against some thief skilled enough to enter Fort Knox (poor him, he doesn't know there's not any gold left in there !? ; )

It's just a little security measure to keep honest people honest and to prevent a passerby thief from walking away with a shiny laptop.

My "problem" is that I won't just be bringing in my laptop: it's gonna be laptop + HHKB Pro 2.

Would you have any idea as to which simple steps I could take to secure my HHKB a bit too, in addition to the Kensington lock on my laptop?

(I saw that Kensington makes something that you can apparently "stick" / glue to your MacBook Air and then offers the possibility to use a Kensington lock, so I was maybe planning to buy one to stick / glue on my HHKB but the problem is that that "thing" is 40 mm in diameter which seems taller than the HHKB and I definitely cannot glue this on the back of the HHKB).

I don't mind non-reversible mods as I don't plan to sell that HHKB.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Neo.X

Re: Antitheft device for keyboards / HHKB Pro 2?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:00:46 »
Get a carry case for HHKB2 and carry it with you when you leave the office.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:22:01 »

Oops I haven't explained well enough: I'll be only working there one or two days a week so I'll be bringing my keyboard with me every day I'll go there.

What I'd like would be something like the Kensington lock so I can go to the bathroom, go for a walk, grab something to eat, etc. without fearing that a passerby would decide that my HHKB is his : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:29:15 »

Oops I haven't explained well enough: I'll be only working there one or two days a week so I'll be bringing my keyboard with me every day I'll go there.

What I'd like would be something like the Kensington lock so I can go to the bathroom, go for a walk, grab something to eat, etc. without fearing that a passerby would decide that my HHKB is his : )

Something like this?

Not saying it can't be defeated, you did say it was a "hacker" space, right?   :p  The primary objective is to make potential thievery more difficult, keeping random people from walking away with it.  Couple this plate with a cable lock, and you should have a pretty good/cheap security solution.  (Just don't get the cable locks with the tubular keys, Bic pens unlock them in a jiffy...)

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA400P-Defcon-Security-Baseplates/dp/B00006B92A/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:37:55 »
The metal cased HHKB HG does come with what appears to be a kensington lock slot

If you are okay with case mods, you may consider cutting a rectangle into your case to add that functionality. Other than that, you'll have to risk it or glue something on.

What you really need is a burroughs keyboard with a lock to disable the keyboard unless the key is in. Sadly I lost the last auction for one.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:45:24 »
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?sku=ASP04US

Targus has a mouse/keyboard cable lock.

You also have to use one of their Defcon cable locks but it's an idea. Couldn't find a review.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:51:41 »
i would take the case apart and bolt an eyelet hook to the back of it and then cable it to the desk.

example:  something small than this obviously
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:57:17 »
Or you could scuff it up a bunch so that it looks so bad that no one would even want to steal it.

My Model M is 24 years old. Its case has chips in it. The keycaps have dirt engrained into the surface(trust me, I tried to clean them). I love it and absolutely no one would ever steal it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 14:03:25 by Thimplum »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:58:13 »
Or you could scuff it up a bunch so that it looks so bad that no one would even want to steal it.

Duct tape it. 

:cool:

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:59:12 »
Drill a hole through one corner of the case and pass a bolt through it.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 14:01:53 »
Get a laptop backpack, and put both your laptop as well as the keyboard in it.  If you leave stuff lying around, and somebody wants it, your stuff will find a way to grow legs.

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 14:44:33 »
So unnecessary. The HHKB looks to other non keyboard enthusiasts the same as any other generic keyboard on a desk. They wouldn't want your keyboard any more than they would any other dime a dozen board.

If you are genuinely concerned about theft in the workplace, it sounds more like you need to reconsider your working conditions.
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline gnubag

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 14:46:22 »
So unnecessary. The HHKB looks to other non keyboard enthusiasts the same as any other generic keyboard on a desk. They wouldn't want your keyboard any more than they would any other dime a dozen board.

If you are genuinely concerned about theft in the workplace, it sounds more like you need to reconsider your working conditions.

so he should carry some kind of gaming keyboard with him and put it next to the hhkb when he is leaving for a second?

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 14:51:45 »
Do not put any CCs on the HHKB for sure, that will attract someone.  :)
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline aesthetics1

Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 15:18:38 »
Would be pretty cool if a manufacturer included a built-in dip switch config or other 'tech lock' on the bottom of the PCB for this.  Kind of like the old school garage door openers.

Could be too late by the time the thief realized the keyboard won't work b/c most probably wouldn't expect this to begin with. Also, if they had enough patience, I suppose they could try every possible combination until it works.

I'm just spit-balling...
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 15:58:34 »
If you don't want your stuff to get crap spilled on it, food dumped on it, snot blown on it, and stolen?

Don't tolerate the crap that is a "co-working space." Read the rules. Chances are you're not allowed to make any modifications to the furniture like installing a Kensington base (forget a security plate.) And guaranteed that there's a total liability waiver. If you leave a keyboard alone for five minutes, it will disappear. If they find out it's expensive, you won't get it back. And if you leave it there over lunch it will vanish.

Either way, anything you bring which is perceived as being "nicer" than anything anyone else has WILL GET STOLEN and they will not even hesitate at breaking a Kensington lock to do it. A friend stupidly tolerated a coworking space - crap rubber dome keyboards floated around as people swiped them back and forth. Then they got EliteBooks which were kept in the supposedly secure storage if they left for more than 5 minutes and went home with them. Took less than a week for one of them to disappear over lunch.

Point being: Humanity. Sucks.
The cargo-cult of "hackerspace" BS cheerfully amplifies it.
If having it defecated upon by perpetually drunk 20-somethings is not something you want, don't set foot in the place.
It's that simple.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 16:02:00 »
I don't know if it would fit, but you could put a toggle switch between USB power. Ideally, this would be a key / lock switch, though I don't know where it would fit on the case.

Now I want to put one on a model M with a teensy, so I can use the lock switch to put in a blank layer mode, then I can lock it and be done.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 06:41:12 »
Thanks to all for your answer...

Not saying it can't be defeated, you did say it was a "hacker" space, right?   :p  The primary objective is to make potential thievery more difficult, keeping random people from walking away with it.

Exactly  :)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:17:55 »
This shall take care of the computer end, but now the problem is on the hhkb end

This one seems like the best option. Only $15 USD
http://www.technalock.com/shop/Laptop_Security-c15.html

I'll take a cold beer as a gratitude ;-)

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:33:51 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:30:57 »
HHKB doesnt look especially fancy. If you work in any kind of reasonable environment just leave it there. Most people could care less about keyboards, you are more likely to have your monitor stolen at night I would think.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline dadgh

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:43:54 »
Don't bring it. I wouldn't park my car in the Detroit ghetto no matter what kind of security system it has.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 08:44:03 »

Offline tgujay

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 09:50:47 »
Why are you working in a place where you wouldn't feel safe leaving your belongings for 5 minutes?  Where I work I leave my **** here all the time, over night even and nothing goes missing and I'm sure if it did it would be on the cameras and we could find out who took it.  I don't see how you could stand to work next to people you can't even trust to not steal your ****.
Gotta collect them all

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:04:06 »
This shall take care of the computer end, but now the problem is on the hhkb end

This one seems like the best option. Only $15 USD
http://www.technalock.com/shop/Laptop_Security-c15.html

I'll take a cold beer as a gratitude ;-)

i was looking for that usb kensington lock thing for a while.  ::thumbs up::
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:26:20 »
HHKB doesnt look especially fancy. If you work in any kind of reasonable environment just leave it there. Most people could care less about keyboards, you are more likely to have your monitor stolen at night I would think.
Before I knew anything about keyboards the first time I saw a HHKB I thought wow that's way cool and wanted one until I found out the price. I think most would be interested in it even non keyboard enthusiasts.   

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:32:14 »
Seriously though, if you're worried about your co-workers stealing your stuff, then it's time to get new co-workers.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:24:04 »
Open carry a firearm. That'll be plenty of security on them nerds.

Offline zoolzoo

Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline bigx333

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:25:15 »
Seriously though, if you're worried about your co-workers stealing your stuff, then it's time to get new co-workers.

Words of truth
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline Lessaire

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 21:05:27 »
I should be working in a "co-working" / "hackerspace" thinggy starting from september.

And they don't have a CCTV system?

Open carry a firearm. That'll be plenty of security on them nerds.

I like you.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 03:14:01 »
NZXT made a 5.25 bay device that allowed you to plug usb devices in and then lock it.  I think it was called the bunker?? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2013, 03:15:32 by tipo33 »
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 04:40:01 »
NZXT made a 5.25 bay device that allowed you to plug usb devices in and then lock it.  I think it was called the bunker??

Too bad most of the electronics these days use a modular mini usb to usb :\. Can't lock the mini end.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 05:38:38 »

Too bad most of the electronics these days use a modular mini usb to usb :\. Can't lock the mini end.

Didn't think that.  :(  At least you can stop them from stealing your awesome Mimic cable!
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:45:01 »

Didn't think that.  :(  At least you can stop them from stealing your awesome Mimic cable!

Yeah, and you pretty much have to be a full on retard to leave a desktop or deskside chassis in a coworking space. That thing will disappear the second you leave.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:09:14 »
Yeah, and you pretty much have to be a full on retard to leave a desktop or deskside chassis in a coworking space. That thing will disappear the second you leave.

The cool part about owning a desktop is that you can bolt it to the floor. That said, a laptop is probably a better bet for this sort of thing so you can take it with you. I keep 3-4 keyboards at work and I'm fine leaving them.