Author Topic: dvorak ukp layout on hhk2 - any problems?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline pauld

dvorak ukp layout on hhk2 - any problems?
« on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:30:16 »
I'm thinking of getting a Happy Hacking keyboard (HHKB Pro 2).  I currently have a Filco TKL but even that wastes a good deal of desk space as it has lots of keys I never use.  I remap it to Dvorak with UK punctuation layout.  If I have the HHK keyboard, will the FN+[:'/ sequences for the arrow keys still work in the same positions or end up getting put somewhere else?  With my current mapping, the colon is bottom row left, and the slash is top row left, neither of which works (the other two keys are the same as with the standard HHK layout).

Thanks!

Offline saturnotaku

Re: dvorak ukp layout on hhk2 - any problems?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:15:38 »
Keymapping software like Karabiner (Mac) or AutoHotKey (Windows) should do what you need. If not, you could install one of hasu's alternate controllers, which allows for full hardware programming, though you would lose the ability to use the built-in USB hub.

Since there are no Dvorak keycaps for Topre (at least that I know of), it might be a good idea to purchase a non-printed HHKB.

Offline pauld

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 14:32:27 »
Thanks for reply - from which I take it that the answer is that switching to Dvorak would indeed relocate the arrow keys.  Not really a problem, I just wondered: I don't use Windows or OS X at all, only Linux/FreeBSD, but I have a custom keyboard mapping file, and I'll just amend that. 

It is the blank keys version I am looking at: I currently have blank keys on the Filco for the same reason.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 14:42:01 by pauld »

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 16:30:44 »
I use Colemak and an HHKB as well as other TKL boards. I just installed a Colemak layout. Assuming you're running Windows, go to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Language options and install your Dvorak layout. The HHKB Fn layer will work just as it does in qwerty.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 16:33:19 »
Assuming you're running Windows

You know what they say about that...

I don't use Windows or OS X at all, only Linux/FreeBSD

Offline ssdt

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 16:40:48 »
Why should this change the arrow positions? The fn-layer is not reprogrammable for the hhkb with the standard controller.   So changing to Dvorak, colemak or whatever does not do anything to the fn-layer. Correct me if I am wrong.

Poker II         HHKB Pro 2

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 16:43:56 »
Assuming you're running Windows

You know what they say about that...

I don't use Windows or OS X at all, only Linux/FreeBSD

Ahh, I didn't read his second post. Still, I'd be surprised if installing and using a Dvorak layout would change the Fn layer in Linux.