Author Topic: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!  (Read 128150 times)

Offline SICAR187

Re: cherry linear switches have different stems, supersmooth!
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 01:18:49 »
  Does anyone have a 100% confirmation that MK.com and Winkeyless, both stocking/selling this new design?

I emailed mk.com and they said they don't know.

Thnx!

Then Winkeyless is the only one that seem to be confirming stocking/selling the new switches then? Or, am I reading wrong?

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 01:26:28 »
I don't know how this applies to RGB MX Blues, but the RGB Blues on the Ducky Shine 6 (and YOTM) are the NICEST RGB blues I've ever seen.  I don't know how many of you have new batches of blues/RGB Blues, but you really have to try them.  They feel like a completely different manufacturer made the switch, even in comparison to the inconsistent, scratchy, fluttery click RGB Blues on the iKBC F keyboards made last year...and they also feel more tactile and bouncy than both the regular blues and greens on my Ducky Fire 69.

It's probably as close as you'll get to the feel of a buckling spring from a Cherry switch.
1) the tactile bump is more defined than before.
2) there seems to be more resistance in spring weight.
3) the feel of the switch feels more robust (pressing, recoil)
4) the click is deeper pitched and tighter, with far less flutter than older switches (Not every switch is perfect though).

It's literally night and day comparing my Shine 6 vs my iKBC F108.
The iKBC (both of them) were assembled 08/2016 according to the serial# and a stamp on the PCB, but God knows when the switches were produced on it.  They're much worse than the Shine 6's blue switches, and Ducky told me that Cherry "improved their manufacturing of blues recently."

Came here from https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88031.0, I have a POK3R RGB w/ Blacks, they also (unless I'm looking at them wrong) appear to have the "new" design of the slider w/ the notched upside down "U". As seen in the aforementioned post and the 2 Cherry Reds mentioned below by Daniel Beardsmore w/ the 2016 purchase date. I don't have any reference as I've never used vintage Blacks, but my RBGs Blacks are smooth. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

More pictures of the new mx blacks, side to side with silent switches (gray).

http://wemedia.ifeng.com/10872347/wemedia.shtml

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I have a POK3R RGB w/ Blacks, they also (unless I'm looking at them wrong) appear to have the "new" design of the slider w/ the notched upside down "U". They also match the 2 Cherry Reds mentioned below by Daniel Beardsmore w/ the 2016 purchase date, in this post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88594.msg2396718#msg2396718.
  I don't have any reference as I've never used vintage Blacks, but my RBGs Blacks are smooth. I'll (try) post some pics tomorrow.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 03:25:57 »
I just received a second hand mx black fc660m I bought which was advertised as about a month old. Instantly noticed it feels very smooth. just a quick look at the top of the stems in comparison with the old ones and it's obvious that these mx blacks are from the new moulds. I have this right next to an older mx black board and the difference is night and day!

It feels at least on par with Gateron smoothness and of course without the wobble of Gateron switches.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 17:14:04 »
Just a note, I have here: MX Red (bought in 2013), MX RGB Red (old slider shape; ordered 2015-11-21), MX Silent RGB Red (ordered 2016-09-19), MX RGB Red (new slider shape; ordered 2016-09-20), all bought new.

The original MX RGB Red with the old slider shape does use the new materials. It has the same shiny plastic surface and more vivid pigmentation.

These are not wiki-grade photos, and I used a portable lamp to get better control over the illumination and get in close; I've tried to hold the lamp as best as I can to approximate what human binocular vision affords, but I can't light all three identically to a single camera lens.

L-R: ca. 2013 Red, 2015 RGB Red mk I, 2016 RGB Red mk II:

165267-0
165269-1
165271-2

You can see how much shinier the original RGB Red is. The new RGB Red slider is still smooth at the sides, but the back is not as smooth and shiny. The the pink silenced slider is smoother than all three -- very smooth and shiny surface.

What's not as clear as it could be in these photos is that the red pigment is more vivid with the new sliders. Edgar Matias did reveal that pigmentation affects smoothness, so maybe they changed pigmentation as part of this process.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 17:16:29 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 20:11:54 »
I think that pigment has no role, because new blacks seem to have the same old color.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 00:59:56 »
I think that pigment has no role, because new blacks seem to have the same old color.
SOME pigments do though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 01:15:44 »
If the new stems are confirmed (looks like they are) I may get some Blacks for my upcoming Revo build (in August)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 09:13:28 »
Is there a way to tell from the top of the switch?

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline menuhin

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:07:50 »
Is there a way to tell from the top of the switch?

Good question and good observation!  :cool:

It seems to me that the new revised stem has the upper edge at an angle, when the previous generation has a stepped edge. One can see such difference when trying to look at the photos more closely:
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 17:32:02 »
Wow, well spotted.

In case it's not clear, this is the difference:

165607-0

Image intentionally terrible ; )

It's fairly subtle and it can't even be made out in my normal photos, as due to the flash I can't get close enough to the subject.

Check out these two though:

http://cherry.de/cid/keymodules_CHERRY_MX_SILENT_RED.htm?
http://cherry.de/cid/keymodules_CHERRY_MX_SILENT_BLACK.htm?

Open each in a separate tab and flick between the tabs ....

Yeah. Cherry have posted fake photos to their website! Cherry's website is down right now, but I've just checked the datasheets I'd already saved and those have the same fake images. Not only have Cherry faked the photos, but they're doubly false as they don't even have the correct slider shape!

(Edited, as I've just removed the images from the wiki as they're pure garbage.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 17:37:00 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 02:48:05 »

(Attachment Link)
So, we can just file our stems, can't we?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 02:58:53 »
Not sure if serious …
Bore Awards

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 05:02:47 »
Wow, well spotted.

(Attachment Link)

Image intentionally terrible ; )

It's fairly subtle and it can't even be made out in my normal photos, as due to the flash I can't get close enough to the subject.

Check out these two though:

http://cherry.de/cid/keymodules_CHERRY_MX_SILENT_RED.htm?
http://cherry.de/cid/keymodules_CHERRY_MX_SILENT_BLACK.htm?

Open each in a separate tab and flick between the tabs ....

Yeah. Cherry have posted fake photos to their website! Cherry's website is down right now, but I've just checked the datasheets I'd already saved and those have the same fake images. Not only have Cherry faked the photos, but they're doubly false as they don't even have the correct slider shape!

(Edited, as I've just removed the images from the wiki as they're pure garbage.)

Quite interesting, thank you! I wonder if that portion is the one that impacts on the casing. This could also affect the upstroke sound, but I didn't notice any improvement, so probably the lateral sliders are the one that make the upstroke noise, and that's the part that is modified in the silent switches.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 06:48:39 »
It appears not to be anything to do with the damping.
Bore Awards

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:48:13 »
Can anyone compare the new Cherry MX Blacks to Gateron Blacks?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 02:36:13 »
Jacob has vintage MX Black and presumably non-vintage MX Black of some type here:

https://plot.ly/~haata/65

You can see that the vintage black switch here is smoother, and the red switch is much rougher.

I assume RGB Black is in the works. No Gateron black yet, but he does have Gateron grey, whatever that is — very strange graph, too.

You should wait for the new graphs, as they're the only presently-available objective assessment of smoothness.

The new RGB MX Red sliders still sound scratchy — they're still nothing like reed or Hall effect switches.
Bore Awards

Offline briancvrrbs

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:04:16 »
About to be building a Duck Viper but really want this to be endgame linear (Nixies to tough to acquire).

Does anyone know if Vintage Blacks are smoother than the New Blacks?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 00:49:29 »
About to be building a Duck Viper but really want this to be endgame linear (Nixies to tough to acquire).

Absoluetly. It's not that simple though...recently I had a chance to try three different cherry g80 boards: serial nr. B, C and F. Which means 1989, 1990 and 1993 boards. All considered vintage.
89' and 90' are way smoother than 93' board. They're so smooth lube is kind of not neccessary...just a little softer, like 62g springs and you have an endgame switch. As much as 55g are phenomenal, imho they've tend to be a little too soft for me personally...lots of accidental presses.

Offline cutterline

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:29:04 »

If you want readily available smooth linear, harvest Gateron's stems. The smoothest is their clear. If you want to know how smooth that stem, just grab cherry clear and check the surface. You can also check it on blue, on the white part that makes click noise.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:30:35 »

If you want readily available smooth linear, harvest Gateron's stems. The smoothest is their clear. If you want to know how smooth that stem, just grab cherry clear and check the surface. You can also check it on blue, on the white part that makes click noise.

Gaterons wobble too much. Plus there are some small differences from cherry to gaterons, and parts aren't perfectly interchangeable.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:42:38 »
 I have not used Gaterons, but someone told me that Gaterons have a "weird feeling" bottoming out compared to MX. Something about Gateron using a softer plastic in their slider? This could just be BS though.

Offline Azaicorp

Re: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 03:25:43 »
Can anyone investigate into the new cherry mx clears too? I recently built a KBD75 with mx clears that I ordered from switchtop earlier this year in march. I also have a used pok3r with mx clears and the previous owner said he got it around february 2016. The KBD75 feels a LOT better to me but I thought it was just because of factors such as the heftier case and the new unused switches.

However, after I saw this thread I got really excited thinking I must have gotten lucky and got a batch of the new smoother stems from switchtop so I checked my switches. I expected to see the angled upper edge and the new "windowed" stems for the mx clears but neither was present. But the switches undeniable do feel slightly smoother and less rattly(?). I also ordered 1 mx blue and 1 mx black from switchtop with my order of mx clear just to test them out since I'm still new to keyboards. I checked them and sure enough the mx blacks from switch top have the angled upper edge and the windowed stem design and the mx blues also have the angled upper edge so at the very least it seems like mx blues and mx blacks have a new stem design and switchtop has them. However, since the mx clears don't have a clear visual tell I can't be sure if the mx clear stems have been changed to be smoother at all or if its just in my mind. Frankly I don't have the experience or equipment to say with any certainty that mx clears have been changed or to do any investigation of my own.

Therefore could someone with more experience look specifically into mx clears? I'm really interested in this as the new mx clears that I have on my kbd75 feel absolutely amazing and I prefer them over zealios even. What I might do is ask winkeyless if his new mx clears have angled  upper edges/windowed stems or not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2017, 03:27:15 by Azaicorp »

Offline cutterline

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 06:07:18 »
Gaterons wobble too much. Plus there are some small differences from cherry to gaterons, and parts aren't perfectly interchangeable.
Source of your claim?
Parts aren't perfectly interchangeable? This is the maddest claim I've heard within this week as I'm writing to you on a keyboard using a gateron clear slider in cherry case switches.
Wobble? As far as I can tell my setup's wobbliness is same as cherry.
Unless you can give me the side movement degree for each cherry, gateron slide-cherry case, and gateron using good enough sampling numbers, your claim is invalid.

I have not used Gaterons, but someone told me that Gaterons have a "weird feeling" bottoming out compared to MX. Something about Gateron using a softer plastic in their slider? This could just be BS though.
Maybe it's true, maybe it's BS. There are many factors such as case/slider material and thickness, plate/pcb mount, etc. FYI, my daily driver is 50g spring with gateron clear slider in cherry case, that's really far from stock.

I tried using single switch comparison on my switch tester, I can tell that using same environment (SS304 plate, lubed, 45g, cherry case) cherry red and gateron clear gives you different feeling from the start. I can't really comment on bottoming out feeling because I never really pay attention to bottoming out as I practice not to bottom out (my finger is already accustomed to light switches). I won't say I don't bottom out when typing fast (>90 wpm) but to be honest, at that speed, what kind of maniac cares about bottoming out feeling? Me, myself, my mind is already somewhere else.

However, after I saw this thread I got really excited thinking I must have gotten lucky and got a batch of the new smoother stems from switchtop so I checked my switches. I expected to see the angled upper edge and the new "windowed" stems for the mx clears but neither was present. But the switches undeniable do feel slightly smoother and less rattly(?).

Therefore could someone with more experience look specifically into mx clears? I'm really interested in this as the new mx clears that I have on my kbd75 feel absolutely amazing and I prefer them over zealios even. What I might do is ask winkeyless if his new mx clears have angled upper edges/windowed stems or not.

That's pretty interesting. I already consider mx clear's texture to be very smooth, now someone claims there's a smoother version? What a mad world!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:11:34 »
Source of your claim?
Parts aren't perfectly interchangeable? This is the maddest claim I've heard within this week as I'm writing to you on a keyboard using a gateron clear slider in cherry case switches.
Unless you can give me the side movement degree for each cherry, gateron slide-cherry case, and gateron using good enough sampling numbers, your claim is invalid.

"Your claim is unvalid unless"... get a life.

Linear gateron whites inside a cherry housing wobble more that the already wobbling gateron inside its ****ing housing.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:52:33 »
Can anyone investigate into the new cherry mx clears too?

+1   

I have some Clears that I got from mechanicalkeyboards.com at the beginning of last year, and they do not have the new style sliders.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:05:12 »
Source of your claim?

Maybe it's true, maybe it's BS. There are many factors such as case/slider material and thickness, plate/pcb mount, etc. FYI, my daily driver is 50g spring with gateron clear slider in cherry case, that's really far from stock.

I tried using single switch comparison on my switch tester, I can tell that using same environment (SS304 plate, lubed, 45g, cherry case) cherry red and gateron clear gives you different feeling from the start. I can't really comment on bottoming out feeling because I never really pay attention to bottoming out as I practice not to bottom out (my finger is already accustomed to light switches). I won't say I don't bottom out when typing fast (>90 wpm) but to be honest, at that speed, what kind of maniac cares about bottoming out feeling? Me, myself, my mind is already somewhere else.

However, after I saw this thread I got really excited thinking I must have gotten lucky and got a batch of the new smoother stems from switchtop so I checked my switches. I expected to see the angled upper edge and the new "windowed" stems for the mx clears but neither was present. But the switches undeniable do feel slightly smoother and less rattly(?).

Therefore could someone with more experience look specifically into mx clears? I'm really interested in this as the new mx clears that I have on my kbd75 feel absolutely amazing and I prefer them over zealios even. What I might do is ask winkeyless if his new mx clears have angled upper edges/windowed stems or not.

That's pretty interesting. I already consider mx clear's texture to be very smooth, now someone claims there's a smoother version? What a mad world!

Gaterons wobble much more than cherry mx. It is very obvious. This has been a widespread observation for a long time. You can read about the Zealio switches (made with/by Gateron.) According to member posts, these initially had the same wobble as other Gateron switches and by about the 3rd or 4th GB period the wobble issue was addressed and fixed.

Also @moonmaster. Yes I posted previously that the new mx black feels about the same as Gateron black with their smoothness. New MX black also does not wobble to the degree that Gateron black does and of course spring weight feels a tad heavier on the MX black.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 11:42:35 »
Just built a B.Mini with MX Blacks from Winkeyless, can confirm he has the new stems!

I'm loving the feel (even as a Topre fan), is this what vintage blacks are meant to be like?

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 20:25:22 »
Source of your claim?

Gaterons wobble much more than cherry mx. It is very obvious. This has been a widespread observation for a long time. You can read about the Zealio switches (made with/by Gateron.) According to member posts, these initially had the same wobble as other Gateron switches and by about the 3rd or 4th GB period the wobble issue was addressed and fixed.

Also @moonmaster. Yes I posted previously that the new mx black feels about the same as Gateron black with their smoothness. New MX black also does not wobble to the degree that Gateron black does and of course spring weight feels a tad heavier on the MX black.

I have a switch tester that has both the gateron and cherry MX black on them and its super apparent that the gaterons have a ton more wobble. I had both switches put on the 2u shift and plus (without stabilizers) and you can tell that the gaterons wiggle much more. Still think that the gaterons are much smoother though.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline kconfire

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:15:37 »
I just received a second hand mx black fc660m I bought which was advertised as about a month old. Instantly noticed it feels very smooth. just a quick look at the top of the stems in comparison with the old ones and it's obvious that these mx blacks are from the new moulds. I have this right next to an older mx black board and the difference is night and day!

It feels at least on par with Gateron smoothness and of course without the wobble of Gateron switches.

Now when you say new MX blacks is better, you're referring old MX blacks as the one that was believed to be scatchy and all before this new mx black that are apparently smoother?

The old MX black =\ vintage MX black is what I wanted to ask, because I just purchased a bunch of keyboards with vintage mx black switches dating back to 1988, in NIB condition.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline kconfire

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:20:44 »
So...

Let me skip to the real questions:

1) Is it now proven that new-new MX blacks are smoother and improved with Cherry's new manufacturing design?
2) If 1) is true, where can I purchase MX blacks? I see some people mentioning TaoBao, but I've recently had a really bad experience with TaoBao and would like to avoid all these sites.

Last week I bought 4 full layout worth keyboards with vintage mx blacks in the year 1988...
I hope I didn't make a stupid mistake when new MX blacks are just so much better lol

Looking at my luck in the past, it looks like new MX blacks will do just fine while I went a little crazy with vintage black switches...

Thanks in advance!

Offline kconfire

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:31:27 »
They're 100% better. Built my LZ yesterday and it's smoother than the Filco I've been using for years.

Where did you order yours from? Is switchtop the only confirmed shop? I'd order from them but no PCB-mount.

I bought mine from mechanicalkeyboards /shrug

Wait, so the mx blacks mechanicalkeyboards sell is the new-new mx blacks?
Here I come new blacks! lol

Thanks.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:38:55 »
Alright, sorry for spamming but can anyone confirm if the Cherry MX Blacks they bought from MechanicalKeyboards (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=54) are the new-new Cherry MX black switches?

They have PCB mounted and Plate mounted, and I'm assuming if you're building a custom alu keyboards you're most likely be buying the Plate mounted Cherry MX blacks.

I would like to know if anyone has had an experience with the new mx black switch purchase.
If not from MK, where else can I get a new-new mx black switches?

Thanks in advance!!

p.s. - if I can get my hands on new cherry mx blacks, they'll be on my beautiful keyboards and I'll be so happy not having to worry about extracting vintage blacks from dusty and dirty old keyboards..

Offline kconfire

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:56:17 »
Just built a B.Mini with MX Blacks from Winkeyless, can confirm he has the new stems!

I'm loving the feel (even as a Topre fan), is this what vintage blacks are meant to be like?

I have some vintage mx blacks coming on my way.
I can compare between the two and see how they're different if I can get my hands on the new-new cherry mx blacks..

It looks like it's sold out on MechanicalKeyboards.com, but stocks are in at switchTop- has anyone ordered from switchTop and received a new-new Cherry MX blacks?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:04:54 by kconfire »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 19:42:47 »

I can compare between the two and see how they're different if I can get my hands on the new-new cherry mx blacks..

It looks like it's sold out on MechanicalKeyboards.com, but stocks are in at switchTop- has anyone ordered from switchTop and received a new-new Cherry MX blacks?

I can confirm getting the "new" MX blacks from switchtop.com. I ordered a batch about 2 months ago & they were from the new tooling.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:04:17 »
Has anyone tried POLISHING the stems ?
Never even thought of this. Interesting idea.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap dremel kit with some polishing attachments. Might have to do some experimenting!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:05:54 »

Definitely an interesting idea, but on such a small scale I fell like it would be hard to get consistent results. Worth a shot none the less.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:45:11 »
Never even thought of this. Interesting idea.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap dremel kit with some polishing attachments. Might have to do some experimenting!

Hahahaha.. that is not how you would do this.

For small plastic parts such as this..  we would take the rock tumbler approach.

Using a hyper-fine polishing compound.. usually some sort of dioxide + oil.   Take all the stems, place them into a jar..

Then Tumble this jar slowly for 5 to 10 hours..

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 00:54:43 »

Even if it did work, and it doesn't, by polishing you remove material and you add wobble.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 01:00:14 »

I can confirm getting the "new" MX blacks from switchtop.com. I ordered a batch about 2 months ago & they were from the new tooling.

Thanks for the reply!
I also got an e-mail back from SwitchTop that they in fact do have a re-tooled version of Cherry MX Blacks. :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 05:46:01 »
There's an old thread in Making stuff together, where someone tried _setting stems on fire_ to polish them, and it worked IIRC.

Someone also did mechanically polish browns/clears before lubrication back then.

I don't have time to luck up the exact threads right now.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:35:37 »
On fire? Some sort of attempt at graphite dry lubricant?
Bore Awards

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:38:17 »
I'm not sure, if this is the thread, but flame polishing.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 13:08:21 »
I'm not sure, if this is the thread, but flame polishing.

This "flame-polishing" member njbair, who also ran the late GB of Alpine Winter, eventually converted to mainly use vintage Alps switches, as far as I can tell from his post history. Perhaps after setting his MX on fire for polishing, he somehow really set all his MX switches on fire and simply switched to vintage Alps.  :))
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 13:10:47 »
Haha. "Soon cherry switches will have to be: flamed, lubed, stickered to be usable."

Oh dear.

So he's actually melting the plastic a bit. I can see this working out wonderfully.
Bore Awards

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:02:43 »
That's it. I draw the line. I'm never going to use another switch other than lubed vintage blacks. That way, I'll be none the wiser as to what I might be missing.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:15:36 »
That's it. I draw the line. I'm never going to use another switch other than lubed vintage blacks. That way, I'll be none the wiser as to what I might be missing.

Now someone from another keyboard community mentioned that new-new MX Blacks in their stock form felt similar to Vintage MX Blacks (NIB condition) found from Wyse terminal keyboards.

Take it with a grain of salt but that means "good" vintage mx black switches are still better. ;)

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:42:01 »
Yeah I still haven't had a chance to try these supposed "better" vintage blacks. I've got tons of NOS wyse from 92' though.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:52:54 »
Yeah I still haven't had a chance to try these supposed "better" vintage blacks. I've got tons of NOS wyse from 92' though.

I got me some NIB vintage Wyse keyboards dated for 1988 from eBay, and they are expected to arrive tomorrow by EOD.
I will be putting in a order for these "new" cherry mx black switches so I will be able to compare them.

I also have vintage cherry mx blacks with them still on old dusty PCBs (2 of them) coming from Germany (Apparently they're the G80-1800 series), so I will also be able to compare them altogether.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:36:16 »

I got me some NIB vintage Wyse keyboards dated for 1988 from eBay, and they are expected to arrive tomorrow by EOD.
I will be putting in a order for these "new" cherry mx black switches so I will be able to compare them.

I also have vintage cherry mx blacks with them still on old dusty PCBs (2 of them) coming from Germany (Apparently they're the G80-1800 series), so I will also be able to compare them altogether.

Which board? LINK w/German layout or WYSE w/Belgian layout? I've gotten more than a few of each of those boards from that seller's seemingly endless stash. I also have a G80-3000 in the mail, so I can test those switches when they get here too.