Author Topic: The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]  (Read 19932 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:16:07 »
That's not mne, mine is full hand

ic.. did that guy also sand the edges? or does it come like that?

Offline sordna

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:19:22 »
I don't think the edges are sanded. No sanding is needed in the acrylic case. Here is mine, with a mix of Kinesis and DSA keycaps. You can also see an LED and buzzer (to produce click sounds) I put on the top right:

Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:22:18 »
I don't think the edges are sanded. No sanding is needed in the acrylic case. Here is mine, with a mix of Kinesis and DSA keycaps. You can also see an LED and buzzer (to produce click sounds) I put on the top right:

very nice sordna, they look like fists, 'internet fists

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:56:51 »
"MSRP $570" lolz, I think not
I lol'd at that too, There is no MSRP; but that number is based on their cost to make prototypes, or what I would assume the cost to make one would be.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:01:33 »
Maybe this time I'll remember to hop on board. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:58:35 »
How much of the board has to be soldered before you can test if it is working? I got the entire right hand done, and it looks like I can upload to the teensy from windows so the USB is working. When I try to type though I get nothing so I'm guessing it requires the left side to be completed also?

Additionally there were 4 resistors together so I assumed those were the 3x 220Ω resistor, and I had another 3 resistors together so I assumed those were the 2 x 2.2kΩ resistor
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 15:44:27 »
I'm currently building one of these for someone. Once it's done and I like it, I'll grab one from this round 2 for myself.

How much of the board has to be soldered before you can test if it is working? I got the entire right hand done, and it looks like I can upload to the teensy from windows so the USB is working. When I try to type though I get nothing so I'm guessing it requires the left side to be completed also?

If you already have the right hand, then just solder in the diodes for the left hand. You don't need switches on there for it to work. Just short the pads for the switch pins when you want to test it.

Offline JmactheAttack

• http://angelsofthewarp.com
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:33:13 »
Keycaps come properly long. The OP has a prototype picture with random keycaps slammed on.
This blog post (good one too) has photos of a finished keyboard with the keycaps that are sold by massdrop:
http://hairysun.com/blog/2013/04/02/oh-ergonomic-keyboard/

Thanks for the heads-up, I updated the pic with your image. I'm sure others will appreciate seeing a realistic picture of the keyboard rather than somewhat of a mock-up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:43:05 by JmactheAttack »

Offline sordna

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:00:59 »
It's not my image, I wish you didn't include this huge image in your quoted replies folks :-)
Say, since your OP has a classic case, why don't you use the image of this full hand build instead, from this post:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg841116#msg841116

I think it's better. Oh and please don't attribute any of these images to me, mine is only the one with the kinesis mix keycaps and blue home row which is not representative of what MD sells :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:06:25 »

Hi Sordna,

How does typing on the Ergodox compare to the Kinesis? Do you miss the concave layout at all? And do you find you use a different spacing or angle at all compared to the Kinesis?

Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:18:56 »
Does anyone think we should have maybe "white" keycaps this round?

Cuz black last round seems kinda boring.. now white would look pretty cool.. 

Grey also, but idk if people would all agree on grey...

Offline sordna

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:25:53 »

Hi Sordna,

How does typing on the Ergodox compare to the Kinesis? Do you miss the concave
layout at all? And do you find you use a different spacing or angle at all
compared to the Kinesis?

They are similar, although it's harder for me to find my home position on the Ergodox without looking.  Perhaps it's because it has an extra column of keys in the middle, or because on the Kinesis the middle finger column is quite a bit deeper set than the rest, guiding your hand in place.
But the flat surface of the ergodox requires less effort to type on, because all the keystrokes are downward. I find it easier to type fast on the Ergodox. I change the spacing and angle throughout the day, I like the variability, but I usually use less spacing and more angle, like you see in my photo. Haven't tried really wide spacing because my keyboard tray isn't large enough.
I miss my palm keys though :-) Maybe I'll add some to it!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:29:06 by sordna »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 07:29:46 »
What function did you assign to palm keys?

Offline sordna

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 10:44:07 »
To avoid going off topic please see this thread
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26579.0

and I'll be happy to answer any questions there.

Offline JmactheAttack

• http://angelsofthewarp.com
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:26:12 »
As of this post, 46 more orders needed for the lowest tier. We're almost there!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:48:02 »
Are the keycaps the same profile as the old one?
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:51:54 »
GDI... just 20 more people... are you guys telling your friends? 

Offline sordna

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:59:33 »
As you probably expect, as soon as the new GB is over, people will come in droves posting "can't believe I missed this again, are they going to do a 3rd one, blah blah".

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 21:22:32 »
As you probably expect, as soon as the new GB is over, people will come in droves posting "can't believe I missed this again, are they going to do a 3rd one, blah blah".

haha so true

its so worth getting-- its like my new favorite thing.

hats off to massdrop for the first round, i was pissed off they shipped it ground but it came beautifully packaged and everything about the massdrop transaction was good

also that layout configuration tool they have is awesome.

i wonder if they will be offering case-only purchasing options again once it hits 100, because i think i want to try out the full hand option and do some modding.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:44:13 »

haha so true

its so worth getting-- its like my new favorite thing.

hats off to massdrop for the first round, i was pissed off they shipped it ground but it came beautifully packaged and everything about the massdrop transaction was good

also that layout configuration tool they have is awesome.

i wonder if they will be offering case-only purchasing options again once it hits 100, because i think i want to try out the full hand option and do some modding.
Here's my rational "FOR" the classic. Against' the full hand

For example.. Lets say you buy the classic and want to "add" a wrist rest...

Simple,, you can bolt one on, or just buy 2 small wrist rests for it..

Now, if you got the full hand... and decide that the big piece isn't awesome, wtf would you do, saw off all that plastic? un-possible...

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:32:09 »
I have yet to try the full hand but I think I would like it more than the short hand.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:48:25 »
and what if you dont?

tp4tissue point is pretty valid, its the reason i didnt go full hand on the 2 i bought from round 1. i wouldn't mind having both though but not be stuck with the full hand

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:07:44 »
My hands are on a weird position when I type. I do need the elevation.
SmallFry! <3

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:26:37 »
Just committed to buying. Hopefully we can get 17 more people to make that $199 point!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:54:05 »
So close to pulling the trigger on this.

I was going to do it if I could order both case types, but apparently that isn't an option.  :'(

I type with my wrists up now, but I've never typed on one of these boards before, so I'm leaning towards a full hand case, but then I waffle back to not pulling the trigger on anything.

#firstworldproblems.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 17:02:38 »
My hands are on a weird position when I type. I do need the elevation.

Then you would use separate wrist rest instead like i did

they come in all shapes and sizes out there :)

So close to pulling the trigger on this.

I was going to do it if I could order both case types, but apparently that isn't an option.  :'(

I type with my wrists up now, but I've never typed on one of these boards before, so I'm leaning towards a full hand case, but then I waffle back to not pulling the trigger on anything.

#firstworldproblems.

they may offer buying the cases separately when it reaches 100 buyers, thats what happened last time. Or though you could buy two  :)) one with full hand and one with classic, you just do two massdrop transactions. then you could sell the one you don't want or sell them both if you end up not liking the ergodox at all lol, im 99% sure someone from GH or DT would buy an unwanted ergodox at the price you paid, especially if you pre-assembled it.

Offline sordna

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:16:19 »
I bought 2, all you need to do is buy them in different transactions. The arrived in the same box.
I like the full hand a lot. I would get the full hand AND add wrist rest on top of it. This would simulate the Kinesis Advantage, where the keys sit lower than the base of the hand which is a very ergonomic position since it prevents the wrist from bending up and keeps it straight with the rest of the arm.

Offline Larken

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 00:12:39 »
getting a wrist rest the right height for the classic, especially if you intend to tent it, is almost impossible in aftermarket sources without alot of modding. 'bolting' a rest on sounds easy only if you plan to use the ergodox flat, but otherwise, prepare for a lot of work. It is probably easier to just get some thick leather pads and wrap it around the fullhand rests for some extra height if needed.

I bought both the fullhand and a classic (the classic is yet to be assembled), and I can say the fullhand will be better in terms of wrist support. The only reason to get the classic is due to the small size - makes for easy transportation.

@mashby, like glod and sordna said, you can get both by doing 2 transactions, or just talk to the massdrop guys. They'd be able to help you with that if you have any problems.

anyone interested in the ergodox should probably jump in at this second round - while the keyboard is great to use, I just don't see a lot demand for this to get a third round in the very near future.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 19:18:34 »
oh wow this went up like 50 orders in less than a week, i guess a lot of people committed to 199

i just went ahead and purchased a 3rd one (without switches), i'm just too much in love with this thing that i want to keep an extra kit around just in case something happens to the first two. I'm pretty paranoid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 19:31:18 »
oh wow this went up like 50 orders in less than a week, i guess a lot of people committed to 199

i just went ahead and purchased a 3rd one (without switches), i'm just too much in love with this thing that i want to keep an extra kit around just in case something happens to the first two. I'm pretty paranoid.

dat's love righ... dere'   for all those of you'who've bandon'ed such notions~

Offline sordna

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:08:14 »

3rd one! Cool. BTW have you tried a Kinesis Advantage? How do you compare the 2 ?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:21:51 »

3rd one! Cool. BTW have you tried a Kinesis Advantage? How do you compare the 2 ?

haven't tried the advantage and i feel stupid for not doing so but i feel it's no longer necessary anyway. However, i used a Kinesis freestyle for 2.5 years but the ergonomics on it was a joke because of the staggered layout instead of matrix and it wasnt programmable if i wanted to try colemak. Also of course it was rubber dome and not very high quality rubber dome either. I was better off using a normal keyboard layout or so i thought (after buying like 5 other keyboards including HHKB). The one thing i loved/missed about the Freestyle was the ability to put some distance between the hands, i prefer more than a foot of room between the hands and now with the ergodox i get that ability back. I also loved the slope ability with the fresstyle but bam! solved that problem by re-using parts from freestyle :)

/longstory TL:DR => no i havent

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 01:01:22 »

Wow! Now that's some true love.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 09:53:41 »
Question for those who got one in the first round: How long after the GB ended did it take to receive your ErgoDox?

Offline magnific0

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:30:37 »
Congrats to all the new Ergodox owners :D.

Question for those who got one in the first round: How long after the GB ended did it take to receive your ErgoDox?

On the massdrop discussion they said the following about delivery:
It'll be roughly 3-5 weeks after the groupbuy ends. International shipping times will also affect arrival times by an additional 1-4 weeks.

So it will be a while unfortunately :(.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:02:24 »
3 - 5 weeks is fine. I'm moving at the end of the month, so managing all my shipments right now is kinda funky

Offline spm

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:54:26 »
3 - 5 weeks is fine. I'm moving at the end of the month, so managing all my shipments right now is kinda funky

Yeah, the first round was about 2.5 months for me :) also hope that the second round will be faster - as I found that after writing on my first ergodox I can't type on normal keyboard I had to order second :-D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 13:34:47 »

Yeah, the first round was about 2.5 months for me :) also hope that the second round will be faster - as I found that after writing on my first ergodox I can't type on normal keyboard I had to order second :-D

what percentage of speed did you drop, and how long before you recovered.

Offline spm

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 08:04:03 »

For typing on ergodox - till now I think I still can't type with same speed but I'm very close to. On regular keyboard on 10fastfingers I can write above 90 wpm when I really want. On Ergodox I'm now above 80 wpm. But I think it is still growing :) In my work I regularly need some special symbols (@, &, etc) which I'm writing with right alt (because of national specific layout). This is quite problem with ergodox because I map alt to bad position so I'm going to do some changes to my layout :)) I'm using ergodox from Tuesday 16th, first two days was quite horibble, then was quite ok.

Related to keyboard switching - I still can write on normal keyboard with same speed but it take some time on start :) When I get home from office to normal keyboard I'm pressing bad keys for several ten minutes, then it's ok too :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 05:35:13 »

For typing on ergodox - till now I think I still can't type with same speed but I'm very close to. On regular keyboard on 10fastfingers I can write above 90 wpm when I really want. On Ergodox I'm now above 80 wpm. But I think it is still growing :) In my work I regularly need some special symbols (@, &, etc) which I'm writing with right alt (because of national specific layout). This is quite problem with ergodox because I map alt to bad position so I'm going to do some changes to my layout :)) I'm using ergodox from Tuesday 16th, first two days was quite horibble, then was quite ok.

Related to keyboard switching - I still can write on normal keyboard with same speed but it take some time on start :) When I get home from office to normal keyboard I'm pressing bad keys for several ten minutes, then it's ok too :))

Hm... you've still got 30wpm more before you hit any sort of barrier...  ;D

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 11:11:12 »
Perhaps you could try changing the layout a little bit such as putting a layer changer on the thumb buttons. Then you could use the shifted symbols and type them that way, without AltGr.

Offline martin360

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 20:53:41 »

So, are they going to do a 3rd round? :rolleyes:

Offline spm

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 04:04:26 »
Perhaps you could try changing the layout a little bit such as putting a layer changer on the thumb buttons. Then you could use the shifted symbols and type them that way, without AltGr.

Yes, only it requires quire more changes to firmware which is hard to do in web configurator :) I'm going to do this when I will have some time :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 12:27:00 »
I used Gimp to add a solder "bridge" on MD's assembly photo, I'll ask them to put it on their website so people from round 2 don't miss that point.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:08:23 »
sordna, I didn't jump that and all three of my ErgoDox boards are working great.  One thing I've noticed, using the configurator from the MassDrop site, I can't get my layers to "stick"... they don't toggle, in other words.  Anyone else find that?  I've tried the L1+ and L1- to no avail...
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline sordna

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 22:18:45 »
If you don't bridge the pads, the capacitor is actually not connected to any other component. If anyone goes to the trouble of soldering the capacitor, they SHOULD solder the pads, otherwise don't bother soldering the capacitor at all.  It's already mentioned the capacitor is optional; what it does is smooth any voltage spikes but it will only ever operate if you bridge the pads.

What they call "toggle" (~L1) is actually a momentary activation. But +L1 works for me, the top left key in the right keyboard half that you see in my layout engages L1 and leaves it there. Then I press it again (-L1) to return to the default layer (L0).

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=BY6MGD&hash=8ced300daaee3253c8bf19d038b17cce
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 22:26:28 by sordna »

Offline orki

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 20:17:25 »

So, are they going to do a 3rd round? :rolleyes:

Indeed. As a someone new to GH (found GH after trying to find "something better than my Kinesis Freestyle2"), I just became aware of the ErgoDox which looks like it has almost everything I want, with the exception of more modifier keys. It looks like about 25 prople per week have been requesting a GB on Massdrop's ErgoDox second round web page. I know that I am in for at least 2. I'd probably get 3 if Findecanor's changes to bpiphany's PCB layout can be incorporated into the next GB.