Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449165 times)

Offline mseaworthy

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #650 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:38:26 »
Has anyone ever tried click modding dampened cream Alps? There are so many of these switches lying around from old AEKII boards that have been harvested for caps. I decided to give it a try on my lunch break today. I desoldered a handful, opened them up and bent back the tabs. This completely changed the feel! I couldn't believe how similar they felt to the click modded oranges I made the other day. I tried removing the rubber bumpers on a couple of the click modded ones but I couldn't tell a difference with or without the bumpers.

If anyone else has some orange and/or cream Alps lying around, I would love some other opinions on the click mod.

I can only tell so much from a loose switch versus mounting in a board. So once I get more free time (read: when AW is done shipping) I'll probably load up one of my Alps Party plates with switches and caps and actually do some typing tests, comparing to my white Alps boards.

I think what I'm really trying to find out is whether or not click modded tactile Alps are an adequate substitute for the increasingly harder to find blue Alps.

This is an excellent experiment. As you say, the AEK IIs are in great supply and affordably priced. I’ve got a couple AEKs and AEK IIs but I’ve got them all disassembled for retrobriting right now. Should have them back together in a week, and I’m very interested to if you’ve discovered a poor man’s Porsche.

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #651 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 01:40:07 »
Just dropping by to say, for those of you who want an ADB-to-USB converter, you should be buying one from hasu: fully programmable (running TMK) + supporting the community! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0
EDIT: Forgot to advertise that the same converter can be used as a PS/2, NeXT, ... (and a bunch of other protocols - pretty much everything that uses mini-DIN connector) just by flashing a different firmware. EDIT2: changing the type also involves re-soldering SMT jumpers. Ah well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:33:44 by flabbergast »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #652 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 02:20:00 »
Matias switches aren't really Alps switches. They might look the same, and are advertised as pretty much the same, but in practice, they're not much further off Cherry MX than they are off Alps, really.
Both Matias clicky switches and Matias tactile “quiet click” switches feel very similar to white Alps, in my opinion. They don’t feel remotely like any Cherry switch.
Really? I've found Matiases to be much more tactile and quite clunky, and they have a second tactile point near the bottom where the slider clears the contact figure. They also don't sound anything like Alps, much hollower, and the clicker isn't as loud or as bassy Oo. That's just my opinion though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #653 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 02:30:10 »
Matias switches aren't really Alps switches. They might look the same, and are advertised as pretty much the same, but in practice, they're not much further off Cherry MX than they are off Alps, really.
Both Matias clicky switches and Matias tactile “quiet click” switches feel very similar to white Alps, in my opinion. They don’t feel remotely like any Cherry switch.
Really? I've found Matiases to be much more tactile and quite clunky, and they have a second tactile point near the bottom where the slider clears the contact figure. They also don't sound anything like Alps, much hollower, and the clicker isn't as loud or as bassy Oo. That's just my opinion though.
I like both Matias and ALPS - but I have to side with chyros here: the white clicky ALPS sound much more "mature" than matias clicks. (Though the quality of the feel&sound of both is way removed from anything Cherry switches can produce.)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #654 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:50:03 »
Find some NIB white Alps keyboard, put on some earplugs, and try it back to back with a Matias clicky keyboard. Very similar IMO, though the Matias switch has quite a bit more front-to-back wobble. (Not identical by any means, but pretty close. In general the Matias boards are “much more tactile” than white Alps boards because they’re new instead of 25 years old.) As you say, the sound is somewhat different, though that’s also greatly affected by context. Try soldering some clicky Matias switches next to some white Alps switches into the same board if you want a fair sound comparison.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:53:15 by jacobolus »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #655 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:25:08 »
Find some NIB white Alps keyboard, put on some earplugs, and try it back to back with a Matias clicky keyboard. Very similar IMO, though the Matias switch has quite a bit more front-to-back wobble. (Not identical by any means, but pretty close. In general the Matias boards are “much more tactile” than white Alps boards because they’re new instead of 25 years old.) As you say, the sound is somewhat different, though that’s also greatly affected by context. Try soldering some clicky Matias switches next to some white Alps switches into the same board if you want a fair sound comparison.

How bad IS the wobble actually with matias? I've heard mixes stories.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline umeboshi

« Reply #656 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:32:45 »
Has anyone ever tried click modding dampened cream Alps? There are so many of these switches lying around from old AEKII boards that have been harvested for caps. I decided to give it a try on my lunch break today. I desoldered a handful, opened them up and bent back the tabs. This completely changed the feel! I couldn't believe how similar they felt to the click modded oranges I made the other day. I tried removing the rubber bumpers on a couple of the click modded ones but I couldn't tell a difference with or without the bumpers.

If anyone else has some orange and/or cream Alps lying around, I would love some other opinions on the click mod.

I can only tell so much from a loose switch versus mounting in a board. So once I get more free time (read: when AW is done shipping) I'll probably load up one of my Alps Party plates with switches and caps and actually do some typing tests, comparing to my white Alps boards.

I think what I'm really trying to find out is whether or not click modded tactile Alps are an adequate substitute for the increasingly harder to find blue Alps.

I did the same thing (click-mod + remove bumpers) on an AEK-II, and also click modded some oranges into a minitouch.  They are very similar, but the oranges seem to be just a tad heavier.  Since I had them out, I took a switch apart on each to compare.

Didn't know that the legs on the click leaves were different:

127185-0

I guess this explains why the oranges were a tad heavier...  :))

127187-1

I've never tried blues so I can't compare against those though.  Was hoping for a poor man's version of them with these mods though...  :p

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #657 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:53:58 »

I did the same thing (click-mod + remove bumpers) on an AEK-II, and also click modded some oranges into a minitouch.  They are very similar, but the oranges seem to be just a tad heavier.  Since I had them out, I took a switch apart on each to compare.

Didn't know that the legs on the click leaves were different:

(Attachment Link)

I guess this explains why the oranges were a tad heavier...  :))

(Attachment Link)

I've never tried blues so I can't compare against those though.  Was hoping for a poor man's version of them with these mods though...
Those are some cool comparison shots. Interesting what you said about oranges being heavier. I thought the creams were ever so slightly heavier.

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those longer legs on the click leaf look like they wouldn't really matter much since the extra length is after the bump. That should all just be clearance, I would think.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #658 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:44:51 »
For me, the bottom-line question is whether the "blue mystique" can be reproduced by modding more common switches. Specifically, I have a bag full of nice oranges that I am considering taking apart and rebuilding. I have never messed with Alps switches internally before.

I really need a tactile switch, but I have no need or desire for noise. In fact I consider the sound to be a disadvantage, but the feel is essential. A lighter force would be great but I will not be cutting any springs - too much too precise work to get real consistency. I have loads of spare switches, especially black, which I would rob for springs if I thought that they were significantly lighter, but I don't think they are.

Lubing seems to be the answer, and dry is clearly the way to go.

The other thing that I like about Alps is the high actuation point, but I don't think that will change in any case, will it?

While I am generally indifferent to the stock dampened cream style, I do appreciate that they seem to have the upstroke dampened, which is a good thing, but otherwise I plan to not get involved with them at this point.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #659 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:51:48 »
For me, the bottom-line question is whether the "blue mystique" can be reproduced by modding more common switches. Specifically, I have a bag full of nice oranges that I am considering taking apart and rebuilding. I have never messed with Alps switches internally before.

I really need a tactile switch, but I have no need or desire for noise. In fact I consider the sound to be a disadvantage, but the feel is essential. A lighter force would be great but I will not be cutting any springs - too much too precise work to get real consistency. I have loads of spare switches, especially black, which I would rob for springs if I thought that they were significantly lighter, but I don't think they are.

Lubing seems to be the answer, and dry is clearly the way to go.

The other thing that I like about Alps is the high actuation point, but I don't think that will change in any case, will it?

While I am generally indifferent to the stock dampened cream style, I do appreciate that they seem to have the upstroke dampened, which is a good thing, but otherwise I plan to not get involved with them at this point.
Taking apart Alps switches is easy, for sure you should give it a go :) .

The actuation point shouldn't change because that's a factor of the contact leaf, so if you don't change that, there's no reason it would be different.

Oranges themselves are lighter than other Alps switches (which tend to be ~70 gf). Whether this is due to a looser spring or a looser tactile leaf, I don't know.

I wouldn't advise substituting in springs from later Alps switches. Early Alps have gold-coloured springs with fewer windings than the later ones like blacks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a difference in keyfeel.

I've looked for dry lubricants for Alps switches but frankly I'm stumped, I have no idea at all what they could've used, and dry lubricants are expensive.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #660 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:55:08 »
It doesn't help that KBP advertises on the box that it has Alps switches.

Yeah Matias are definitely Alps-mount switches but not exactly Alps SKCM/SKCL. Still, I don't think thats a detractor. Just semantics.

I agree with you mr Chyros

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #661 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:30:02 »
I did some blind testing this morning with blue Alps, click-modded orange, and click-modded dampened cream. I wanted to see if I could tell the difference by sound and feel alone.

It seems like the click-modded dampened cream Alps are much closer to blues than the click-modded oranges. Orange Alps have a stiffer bump, which makes them feel more like whites when click-modded. It doesn't feel like oranges have a heavier spring (at least not by much), but the stiffer bump makes them feel heavier. Not bad, but different.

Meanwhile, I had an incredibly difficult time telling apart the blues and creams. The blues have an ever so slightly deeper click sound, and when I plug my ears I perceive that blues are slightly heavier than creams. But other than that I can't tell them apart.

Next, I broke out a stack of nickels for a good old-fashioned actuation force test. I discovered that both the cream and blue switches require about 60g actuation force. Oranges were about 70g. Interestingly, non-click-modded cream Alps were also about 70g, so it's true that the click mod substantially affects the feel. White Alps are about 60g, but they feel much stiffer than blues or click-modded creams. I believe this is due to the combination of a lighter spring and a more pronounced bump on the leaf.

Summary: Click-modded oranges are closer to white Alps, and click-modded creams are closer to blue Alps.

I'm glad I did this because it's helped me make a decision on which switches to use for my next builds. I was going to click mod my remaining oranges and use those on my ANSI 60% build, but I already have some white Alps boards and I believe a board full of click-modded oranges would be too similar. Besides, I really like tactile oranges as-is, and if it ain't broke...

Instead, I'm going to click mod some cream Alps and use those for my next 60% build. I'm saving my bag of blues for my Monarch build, but after this experiment I truly believe that click-modded creams are a solid substitute for hard-to-find blues. The best part is, this simple mod takes an otherwise forgotten switch (dampened cream Alps) and turns it into something very desirable.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what to call this cream alps click mod. I was thinking about Ghetto Blues, because they're so similar to blues. But they're not blue, so that's confusing. I really like the fact that this mod has the potential to save cream alps from obscurity, so I was thinking of calling them Rescue Alps, kind of like a rescue dog that you save from the pound. Then again, the last thing this hobby needs is more jargon, so maybe just Click-modded Creams.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #662 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:31:23 »
Can I borrow a few of those switches to play with njbair? I'm really curious about the click-modding stuff. Just haven't had the time to test it out myself. And yeah, I think click-modded creams is fine. The naming has gotten crazy.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #663 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:03:35 »
I did some blind testing this morning with blue Alps, click-modded orange, and click-modded dampened cream. I wanted to see if I could tell the difference by sound and feel alone.

It seems like the click-modded dampened cream Alps are much closer to blues than the click-modded oranges. Orange Alps have a stiffer bump, which makes them feel more like whites when click-modded. It doesn't feel like oranges have a heavier spring (at least not by much), but the stiffer bump makes them feel heavier. Not bad, but different.

Meanwhile, I had an incredibly difficult time telling apart the blues and creams. The blues have an ever so slightly deeper click sound, and when I plug my ears I perceive that blues are slightly heavier than creams. But other than that I can't tell them apart.

Next, I broke out a stack of nickels for a good old-fashioned actuation force test. I discovered that both the cream and blue switches require about 60g actuation force. Oranges were about 70g. Interestingly, non-click-modded cream Alps were also about 70g, so it's true that the click mod substantially affects the feel. White Alps are about 60g, but they feel much stiffer than blues or click-modded creams. I believe this is due to the combination of a lighter spring and a more pronounced bump on the leaf.

Summary: Click-modded oranges are closer to white Alps, and click-modded creams are closer to blue Alps.

I'm glad I did this because it's helped me make a decision on which switches to use for my next builds. I was going to click mod my remaining oranges and use those on my ANSI 60% build, but I already have some white Alps boards and I believe a board full of click-modded oranges would be too similar. Besides, I really like tactile oranges as-is, and if it ain't broke...

Instead, I'm going to click mod some cream Alps and use those for my next 60% build. I'm saving my bag of blues for my Monarch build, but after this experiment I truly believe that click-modded creams are a solid substitute for hard-to-find blues. The best part is, this simple mod takes an otherwise forgotten switch (dampened cream Alps) and turns it into something very desirable.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what to call this cream alps click mod. I was thinking about Ghetto Blues, because they're so similar to blues. But they're not blue, so that's confusing. I really like the fact that this mod has the potential to save cream alps from obscurity, so I was thinking of calling them Rescue Alps, kind of like a rescue dog that you save from the pound. Then again, the last thing this hobby needs is more jargon, so maybe just Click-modded Creams.
why does my click modded orange have a soft bump instead the overpowered bump in blue alps?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #664 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:09:44 »
Can I borrow a few of those switches to play with njbair? I'm really curious about the click-modding stuff. Just haven't had the time to test it out myself. And yeah, I think click-modded creams is fine. The naming has gotten crazy.

No problem. I'll send you my mini test platform I built for this from an old IIGS plate, along with one of each switch type:

1. Stock orange
2. Click-modded orange
3. Stock white
4. Stock cream
5. Click-modded cream
6. Stock blue

I'll toss in in a bubble mailer and get it out to you today.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #665 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:10:19 »
Sick, thanks so much njbair. PM me your Paypal, I'll kick you some cash for shipping.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #666 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:31:31 »

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #667 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:14:22 »
I did the impossible.  Bought a AEK for under $500

That looks like a very nice one. Usually they are seriously yellowed. With a high serial number it is very likely salmons.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #668 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:39:57 »

Yeah Matias are definitely Alps-mount switches but not exactly Alps SKCM/SKCL. Still, I don't think thats a detractor. Just semantics.

I think that's a factor of Matias switches being clones of the simplified SKBM/SKBL series instead of the complicated. Since Matias used to get their switches from Forward, it would make sense for Matias to have copied the switches from Forward.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Apple-M0115-ADB-Keyboard-with-Cord-27353042.html

So YOU'RE the one who outbid me on that! I would've bid more but shipping is RIDICULOUS on Goodwill's website.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #669 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:43:47 »

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Apple-M0115-ADB-Keyboard-with-Cord-27353042.html
Note that this is one with salmon switches and no (pretend) claim to being NIB. Still a nice keyboard though. :)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #670 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:57:43 »

I think that's a factor of Matias switches being clones of the simplified SKBM/SKBL series instead of the complicated. Since Matias used to get their switches from Forward, it would make sense for Matias to have copied the switches from Forward.

So YOU'RE the one who outbid me on that! I would've bid more but shipping is RIDICULOUS on Goodwill's website.

Shipping is a bit ridiculous.  Still, I figured @ under 30 shipped, it was a good deal, even though its salmon vs orange.  This was right at the top of my budget.  I was assuming I would have got out bid at the last second.  Had I known I probably wouldn't have bid on it.  I never posted about it, in hopes that keeping it on the low down would keep the price low. 

@jacobolus  :D  Yeah, just making light of the crazy $500 auction, and the recent price hike in ALPS in general.  My collection is slowly growing.  Still have never tried Blue orange or amber alps.  I'm hoping salmon trumps dampened cream.  I quite enjoy them.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline E3E

« Reply #671 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:13:04 »

Note that this is one with salmon switches and no (pretend) claim to being NIB. Still a nice keyboard though. :)

Haha, a good price! I got my original orange Alps AEK for $16 before shipping, $30 shipped. There will always be some that fly under the radar, but with everyone's antennae up because of the Alps love in the community atm, it might not happen too often.

Offline E3E

« Reply #672 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:20:03 »

Bleu Cheese Alps

Bleu Alps

Blueberry Cream Cheese Alps

Fat Lady Alps

Singing Cream Alps

Blues and Jazz Alps

Exonerated Creams

Transcendental Cream Alps

T-Pain Creams

Ice Cream Alps

THEY SOUND FANTASTIC.

You know, I have STILL never tried white Alps yet.

On my haven't tried list, I have only but the most common switches - dampened cream, SKCM black, SKCM white, and the odd NeXT SKCM cream (non-dampened).

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #673 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:46:32 »

Shipping is a bit ridiculous.  Still, I figured @ under 30 shipped, it was a good deal, even though its salmon vs orange.  This was right at the top of my budget.  I was assuming I would have got out bid at the last second.  Had I known I probably wouldn't have bid on it.  I never posted about it, in hopes that keeping it on the low down would keep the price low. 

@jacobolus  :D  Yeah, just making light of the crazy $500 auction, and the recent price hike in ALPS in general.  My collection is slowly growing.  Still have never tried Blue orange or amber alps.  I'm hoping salmon trumps dampened cream.  I quite enjoy them.

I'm glad to see that someone bought it who has never tried Salmons before, I prefer them to Cream Damped Alps myself. I'd also much rather someone in the keyboard community buy it instead of some Apple collector who will just let it sit on a shelf in the box.

You know, I have STILL never tried white Alps yet.

On my haven't tried list, I have only but the most common switches - dampened cream, SKCM black, SKCM white, and the odd NeXT SKCM cream (non-dampened).

How strange! I've tried most of the common switches such as Cream Damped, Black, and White. I still need to find some Greens, Yellows, Grays, etc. though. Hopefully when I buy another SHARP X68K it actually has Green Alps.  :confused:

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find some Alps clones that have the LED cutout? I'd love to get some of the green Xiang Min switches but I don't know where one would find those. I need to replace some switches in my Focus but I need switches that support an LED.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:48:03 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #674 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:24:48 »

[/
quote]

Thanks for sharing this--great comparison, and so good to elevate creams.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #675 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:18:09 »

That looks like a very nice one. Usually they are seriously yellowed. With a high serial number it is very likely salmons.

Wait what? So if I were out to buy an AEK I need at least 500$? I thought they were cheap, more like 50-80 USD? All hope is lost..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #676 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:19:00 »

Wait what? So if I were out to buy an AEK I need at least 500$? I thought they were cheap, more like 50-80 USD? All hope is lost..

It's a joke lol. They're about $30 USD. Someone paid $500 in an earlier post in this thread.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #677 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:20:36 »

The relieve is real. I cannot wait to get my hands on an AEK. It will be my first vintage board. And it will bring me great nostalgia feels.

It's a joke lol. They're about $30 USD. Someone paid $500 in an earlier post in this thread.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #678 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 19:17:37 »
They're about $30 USD.

That is a very good price and you would have to be patient.

Twice that would be more common.

Offline E3E

« Reply #679 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 19:33:25 »
They're about $30 USD.

Especially now, but that is what I paid for mine.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #680 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:56:05 »
I have an AEK with click modded oranges, an AEK II with click modded creams (dampers removed), and a Northgate Omnikey Ultra with SKCM whites.  Of these three, I like the AEK with the modded oranges the best.  The switches are very smooth and have a nice deep, bassy sound.  I haven't done a fair side by side comparison between the AEK and AEK II, as the AEK is at my work office, but my finger memory and ears prefer the oranges.

At the present time, the oranges are my second favorite switch after Model F buckling springs (or maybe a tie with the Model M buckling springs).  I haven't had the opportunity to try out SKCM Blues and cannot comment on how the oranges compare to them.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #681 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:27:49 »
Just bought an AEK with Oranges for $30, and I have another one on offer that was accepted.

Offline E3E

« Reply #682 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:35:30 »
Just bought an AEK with Oranges for $30, and I have another one on offer that was accepted.

Dang Blaise. Do you mind my asking of where you got the boards?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #683 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:59:31 »
Dang Blaise. Do you mind my asking of where you got the boards?

Ebay. I just make offers and sellers are usually willing to accept them.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #684 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:30:34 »
They're about $30 USD.

I'm used to Realforce/HHKB-prices with import customs / import tax prices on top of that. So 60$ still sounds like "free".

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #685 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:31:04 »
ALPS fans  :D
IBM M 1390131 ALPS SKCM blue switches,Nov 86
Some high resolution pictures updated!!!
http://xiangce.baidu.com/picture/album/list/5a6c7908687be23f1d2ef80de074fe040d81c660?isscore=1#pic

I take back my doubts, xixihaha. Seems this is real. Amazing find!

Looks like another one turned up on Deskthority, https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-blue-alps-t12798.html

And holy **** those F row keycaps are tall:
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:27:04 by jacobolus »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #686 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:56:59 »
Is it just me or what? Why does alps feel cheap? After I tried old cherry mx black with thick og caps its just feels that alps is cheap. well I've yet to try all the alps

Its like cherry is a good beef with lots of exotic ingredients
And alps is like a good beef but with mediocre herbs

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #687 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:03:04 »
After I tried old cherry mx black with thick og caps its just feels that alps is cheap. well I've yet to try all the alps

Its like cherry is a good beef with lots of exotic ingredients; And alps is like a good beef but with mediocre herbs

If a rubber dome is like a bowl of sugar cereal in a bowl of non-dairy milk substitute...

Cherry MX is like cheap macaroni with american cheese and chunks of mystery-meat hot dogs tossed in. You can pick whichever color of food coloring you want to have mixed in with the cheese. It won’t give you instant diabetes but it’s hardly a healthy lifestyle.

Alps from the 80s–early 90s gives you the choice of well-made sandwich at the corner sandwich shop: pastrami on rye, BLT, Italian sub, maybe even a burger.

All those sexy switches and keycaps from the 60s–70s are the real gourmet stuff.

You want OG? These Alps switches and keycaps make Cherry MX black feel like a toy:

For more see:
https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/alps-cb14182b-scb1a163-aka-super-alps-t6525.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/albums/72157635545864692/page2
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:25:28 by jacobolus »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #688 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:31:03 »
After I tried old cherry mx black with thick og caps its just feels that alps is cheap. well I've yet to try all the alps

Its like cherry is a good beef with lots of exotic ingredients; And alps is like a good beef but with mediocre herbs

If a rubber dome is like a bowl of sugar cereal in a bowl of non-dairy milk substitute...

Cherry MX is like cheap macaroni with american cheese and chunks of mystery-meat hot dogs tossed in. You can pick whichever color of food coloring you want to have mixed in with the cheese. It won’t give you instant diabetes but it’s hardly a healthy lifestyle.

Alps from the 80s–early 90s gives you the choice of well-made sandwich at the corner sandwich shop: pastrami on rye, BLT, Italian sub, maybe even a burger.

All those sexy switches and keycaps from the 60s–70s are the real gourmet stuff.

You want OG? These Alps switches and keycaps make Cherry MX black feel like a toy:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

For more see:
https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/alps-cb14182b-scb1a163-aka-super-alps-t6525.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/albums/72157635545864692/page2
I have to say that board is a beauty  :thumb:

I've heard about that board and haata said that its his favourite right?

The problem with the real gourmet stuff is just that they are hard to find, hard to maintain, and hard to use, and even hard to ship to another country which is sucks

Well I need to try find a good caps for alps and some custom that could use alps so I could call my final verdict of alps

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #689 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:33:06 »
I've only been fortunate enough to have an orange alps m0116 my favorite switch, but I hate the layout. I really want to get my hands on a m0115 but haven't been able to find one at a good price. Also wish I had access to other alps and mantis keys to try for comparison I don't want to buy them in bulk in case I don't like one but if any of you guys have a sampler pack or one of each you like to sell I'd pay for shipping that would be awesome. :) Also where the heck do you find blues for sale?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #690 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:42:51 »
Show Image

MMMMmmm those caps... nice.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #691 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:28:15 »
problem with fancy oldskool boards like that is
- finding one
- paying for one
- restoring one
- getting one to work with modern hardware
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #692 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:29:35 »
problem with fancy oldskool boards like that is
- finding one
- paying for one
- restoring one
- getting one to work with modern hardware

But the dopamine / adrenaline rush when you get it to work... mmmm

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #693 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:08:25 »
I've only been fortunate enough to have an orange alps m0116 my favorite switch, but I hate the layout. I really want to get my hands on a m0115 but haven't been able to find one at a good price. Also wish I had access to other alps and mantis keys to try for comparison I don't want to buy them in bulk in case I don't like one but if any of you guys have a sampler pack or one of each you like to sell I'd pay for shipping that would be awesome. :) Also where the heck do you find blues for sale?
I am also interested in a sampler pack :)
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #694 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:26:25 »
I am also interested in a sampler pack

At one point I think that Orihalcon was planning to put together some samplers. There is a problem that they (with the exception of Matias) are old and out of production. A company like Cherry has real incentive to help you evaluate before you decide which one of their products to purchase. There is little incentive for anyone to buy, process, sell, and ship scavenged Reagan-era gear "just to be nice"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #695 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:30:18 »

At one point I think that Orihalcon was planning to put together some samplers. There is a problem that they (with the exception of Matias) are old and out of production. A company like Cherry has real incentive to help you evaluate before you decide which one of their products to purchase. There is little incentive for anyone to buy, process, sell, and ship scavenged Reagan-era gear "just to be nice"

Too bad :-(

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #696 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:34:33 »
Dying to get back to work so I can put my alps board into my winner FMJ !!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #697 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:04:40 »
Too bad

Or, you could do like us old-timers: just buy a whole bunch of junk keyboards and keep using them until you figure out what you like.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #698 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:18:02 »
Here are some fun Alps keycaps:

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #699 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:45:42 »

Actually I hesitate whether I want to jump into world of vintage Alps. (some of) They are hard to find and the condition varies. Even in good condition, they are around 20 years old. Not sure how long they will last, but probably shorter than new switches. It will be very sad if I fall in love with some vintage Alps and can't find any replacement when my old switches fail. I am quite happy with Matias switch now. Maybe I should just stick with Matias switches.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.