Author Topic: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.  (Read 325851 times)

Offline would

Re: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 04:47:48 »
I registered to GH only a few months ago, and have been in read-only mode ever since. I never talked to Smallfry, but I did see quite a few of his posts, and he looked like someone worthy of paying attention to. My condolences to his family and the community as well.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 04:57:24 »
Regrettably, SmallFry and I never really had the opportunity to get to know each other intimately as others have but I still remember the first time SmallFry and I talked, as he was congratulating me on my first CC. Even now, I still remember that moment because I was so happy that someone was actually sharing my happiness with me on my first CC. I was just so happy that someone understood my feelings and where I was coming from as someone who was just getting into the world of keycaps (no one in my close vicinity is into keyboards as I am). I will remember you, SmallFry, as someone who shared his love for keyboards with others on this site with great character.

You will be greatly missed.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 04:58:36 »
Never knew SmallFry but his posts always seemed really friendly and gracious. My heart goes out to his family and you GH members who knew him well.
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 06:39:10 »
Really sad to see a young life cut short. I talked with him once, when we had the Toronto meeting and he wanted to come up here.
Wherever you went, Nathan, I hope there are nice keyboards there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 06:50:41 by poxeclipse »

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:06:21 »
I too was wondering where he went, this is the absolute worst answer :(

RIP SmallFry

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:12:34 »
Omg I remember SmallFry well. This is very sad news. RIP buddy, you will be missed!

Offline Bim Gao

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:21:11 »
RIP smallfry

Offline Saviant

In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:42:03 »
It is always sad news to hear about things like this. I am so sorry to see him go as he was always quite alive in his posts. RIP Nate :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:56:35 by Saviant »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:55:50 »
RIP Nater Tater. Good kid and great contributor to our community.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:05:59 »
Heavenly Father, today I pray on behalf of Nathan Walter, that he is now in a better place with You.  Thank You for comforting him during his last two weeks on earth, and for giving his family time to say goodbye.  May Nate be content that his family will endure without him, that the pain of his loss will fade over time, but those with him in their memories will never forget his presence.  To Nates family I pray You help them in dealing with the loss of their son, that they may be comforted in the knowledge that he is with You, and they will see him again in time.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline affect656

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:15:03 »
This is terrible, someone so young leaving the world so early. RIP Smallfry
I like linear.

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:28:14 »
Wow.  How terrible.  I always enjoyed seeing him post.  So young, smart, and enthusiastic.  But really caring, too.  He really elevated this place.

I'm pretty new and not very prolific. But if there is a way to contribute to his family, I would like to participate.  As a dad, I feel for his parents.

RIP Smallfy.

Offline llovro

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:31:00 »
oh my god.
Rest in paradise Nathan ...

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:39:04 »
I’ll remember SmallFry as being level headed and optimistic, he stuck up for what he liked without denigrating what others like, and he seems to have a comfortable sense of humor, even about himself.   I recall he raved about the support he got from his family and especially how his dad was helping him with projects, keyboard related and otherwise.  His full life only magnifies the loss.

I don’t know when it appeared but I just noticed the smallfry header; it’s a great idea so thanks to GH for putting it up. 

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:45:08 »
Oh wow. :( Take care up there, brother SmallFry.

He was an incredible addition to this board and will definitely be missed greatly.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:02:23 »
I'm speechless.

Sent with love and remembrance.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:24:46 »
First ran into him in IRC a few weeks ago, he was so helpful and friendly, asked him to work on my poker and he felt the need to disclose his age to me, can't believe how young he was.

He seemed like an incredible person for the brief period I knew him, my condolences to the family, I can't imagine what they are going through losing someone so young and bright.

QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:38:17 »
I have been moving and getting settled in, so I just found out.  I met SmallFry twice, at the two chicagoland meetups.  I'm speechless,  I'm not even sure what to write.   I will contribute something more meaningful when I gather my thoughts..
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:49:39 »
It's difficult to find words; this is such sad news. Nate was such an energetic and enthusiastic member of this community, both on the forum and on IRC, who contributed a lot. He had no pretence, didn't try to be cool, he just was cool for being himself... a refreshing presence and a joy to have around. Yes, he could be an annoying young pup at times! Yet talking with him it was often easy to forget just how young he was. I will miss him.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:51:17 »
That's an awesome banner :)
I love Elzy

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:56:10 »
I too was wondering where he went, this is the absolute worst answer :(

RIP SmallFry

Ditto.  He was one of the first to take me under his wing and provide really constructive, useful feedback/advice when I stopped lurking and joined the community.  He will be missed.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:16:52 »
I can't believe I'm reading this; my thoughts go out to SmallFry's family and friends.  I hope he is in a better place.  No one's life should be cut so short, especially such a good-hearted person like SmallFry.  He was an eagle scout and a respected member of a predominantly adult internet community (no small feat), and I'm sure he did many more great things in his short but sweet life.  RIP SmallFry, you will be missed.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:38:10 »
I've just read the whole thread and I'm speechless. I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I saw the forum logo connected from my phone at work.

I'm really sad about this and it was hard to read the whole thread without crying. I work in a hospital and I can imagine how hard the last weeks may have been for him and his family.

I'm here to help in anything we can do for his family and to honour him in any way.

Rest in peace Nathan.

Offline rhubarb

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:42:19 »
RIP from a first time poster long time reader. From the moment I started lurking geekhack, I could tell what kind of person he was, helpful and selfless; a true community leader.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:15:56 »
smallfry, wherever you are, GLHF.  You will be missed.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:21:24 »
I first got to know smallfry when iMav formed the initial moderator team in the GeekHack of old.  We were all trying to find our way.  Smallfry helped balance out the team with his high energy and positive attitude.

I just found out about his passing late last night.  So young and so full of energy and now robbed of his future.  You'll be missed, Nathan.  RIP.
Russ

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:51:43 »
So very sad... What a tragic loss.

Thank you Nathan... Thank you for spending your short time here with us. You will be greatly missed.

Offline dave23

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 12:16:17 »
I am new to geekhack, but wanted to express my deepest sympathies to Smallfry's family and friends, for someone so young it is a terrible tragedy.

Offline evolyn

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 12:30:35 »
one of the first members i talked and helpd me. Please send me ur clack pictures... oh no iam shocked. Well i wanna say thx u for beeing a help to me and nice geekhack friend u will be missed here and alot of strenght to ur family.
thx u alot.

Iam Looking Desprate for Championship Riven QQ

Offline Glissant

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 12:32:26 »
This is extremely saddening. My best thoughts and feelings go out to the family.
Nathan will be sorely missed.
I hope we can gather and do something thoughtful and nice as a community for the family.

Offline typo

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:39:47 »
I was not going to say anything. I just feel really bad though. he replied to a thread of mine on the 12th. I don't know what to say.

Offline Saix

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:44:44 »
His impact and memory ensures he'll never fade away. Thanks to this community for people like him to have a place to express his interests. RIP to an amazing fellow.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:45:36 »
I don't even know what to say.  I've been away for a while getting married and I just found out.  I just can't believe this.  This is a terrible tragedy

Offline elttaboi

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:45:37 »
so sad. It's so unreal. I used to read his posts all the time and suddenly gone. :(

Offline metafour

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 13:59:32 »
Humanity will be worse off without him. I can't help but think about all the lives he's touched here and all the lives that he would have touched throughout his life. Things like this just make me angry.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 14:59:16 »
A scary reminder that death can often only be recognized when it's too late. Living life to its fullest potential, treating every day like it's your last, and not taking your life nor health for granted is something that people often say, but seldom take into action. Thanks for your contributions to GH SmallFry, I sincerely appreciate what you've done for GH and the community.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:22:59 »
I hope we can gather and do something thoughtful and nice as a community for the family.
we will, but i don't want to interfere with their business at hand, so we will need to take our time. please leave your messages here and on his caringbridge guestbook so his family knows how much he was loved, but we will wait for the family to have their time to grieve privately before we come together and make any grander gestures.

in the meantime, thank you everyone for your kind words.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline realex

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:31:46 »
even though i did not have the chance to know nathan personally, it was obvious to tell what kind of a positive spark he impersonated for this community just be reading his posts.

my sincerest condolescences to his family.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:38:36 »
A scary reminder that death can often only be recognized when it's too late. Living life to its fullest potential, treating every day like it's your last, and not taking your life nor health for granted is something that people often say, but seldom take into action.

Many of us did a lot of stupid things in our youth, putting our lives on the line without thinking and just plain lucky to still be here today.
I didn't know smallfry personally but following the trails he left behind. I see a young man with a good head on his shoulders and who cares for others.

Then he gets hit while riding a lawnmower home - It's absurd and not fair.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:46:56 »
I can't help but feel so...
There's a lump in my throat. A bit hard to swallow.
It wasn't so long ago he was hosting files and helping funkymeeb and me on the Birch keyboard.
I didn't even notice he'd stopped posting for 2 weeks.
When I saw the smallfry 1996-2013 thing on top, I didn't even believe it. I thought it just meant smallfry had decided to stop getting involved in this forum. 17 years old really
is too young to die.
It's just not fair.

I hope they arrest the driver. A lawnmower isn't a fast moving vehicle, so it's probably someone DUI.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 15:54:49 »
I can't help but feel so...
There's a lump in my throat. A bit hard to swallow.
It wasn't so long ago he was hosting files and helping funkymeeb and me on the Birch keyboard.
I didn't even notice he'd stopped posting for 2 weeks.
When I saw the smallfry 1996-2013 thing on top, I didn't even believe it. I thought it just meant smallfry had decided to stop getting involved in this forum. 17 years old really
is too young to die.
It's just not fair.

I hope they arrest the driver. A lawnmower isn't a fast moving vehicle, so it's probably someone DUI.

It could have been a kid who thought they had more room and was still learning how to drive properly or there could have been other mitigating circumstances that caused it to happen.  If it truly was an accident, I can only imagine how much pain the person who caused it must be in and the kind of guilt they feel.  It's something I would never wish on anyone. 

What happened to SmallFry was tragic and he should be remembered and celebrated for who he was, but please don't start blaming people and wishing suffering on others, especially when we don't know the surrounding circumstances. 

Offline Batmann

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:02:50 »
That's a terrible news...words won't come out

Rest in Peace Nathan †

(In France we usually bring flowers for funerals, I'll  be happy to donate if something like this is worked out)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:09:38 »
That's a terrible news...words won't come out

Rest in Peace Nathan †

(In France we usually bring flowers for funerals, I'll  be happy to donate if something like this is worked out)

From the page that has been posted in here, it sounds like the family would like donations made to the Wisconsin Ronald McDonald house in lieu of things like flowers.  So maybe make a donation to it in remembrance of him.

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:34:52 »
My condolences to his family and all of his loved ones.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:45:37 »
It is really a shame, his time here was cut too short, RIP Smallfry.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:58:09 »
R.I.P. smallfry
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline iri

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 17:23:56 »
i сan't believe this.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 17:30:11 »
It was plain to see that he was so extremely smart, helpful, and friendly - enough so that I saw him as one of the greatest contributors to the GeekHack community, even at such a young age. It's very sad and very hard to believe that he's gone.. he will be missed by all. My condolences go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 18:31:21 »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 18:35:27 »
When I was checking the forum today I had noticed that the top header said "Smallfry" and not GeekHack like it normally does, at first I didn't think too much of it, but upon closer inspection I noticed there were dates under his name....

I am relatively new to the forum, and only just starting to get to know some of the personalities on here, but from what I've seen so far, GH has certainly grown to be an amazing community of helpful people, and I can clearly see that Smallfry was a large part in helping it get that way. Regardless of not knowing him, it truly pains me to see someone so young leave this world. I give my condolences to the family, I can't imagine the pain they're going through...

Let us remember that Smallfry lives on, through all of our keystrokes!
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :