Author Topic: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.  (Read 325836 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 08:58:26 »
From here.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #351 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:04:57 »
From here.

I love that it's there, under the keyboard -- I would have also included a link to a page hosted here at GH, in an Easter Egg sort of way, but regardless, that's a great tribute.

We were talking via PM making a Boy Scout merit badge in Smallfry's honor, so I'm wondering what kind of design would be appropriate. It could be something very simple -- a circle with the center saying, 'Nate "Smallfry" W." + his birth/death date + "YOU ARE MISSED"

I wonder if his avatar on the patch would be seen as too "happy"? He seemed like a very happy-go-lucky guy, and the avatar suited his personality, but would it be appropriate for a memorial-style patch? Suggestions?

GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:22:55 »
This may sound weird but has there been a GH'er in contact with Nate's fam?  I wondering what will become of everyone's gear that he was working on.
yes, cptbadass and i are in direct contact with Nate's father. i informed him in no uncertain terms that anything that nate had in his possession at the time of his passing is now theirs, but he is insistent on making sure that everyone get the items that nate was working on or trading.

if there was an item that nate was working on for you that you would like sent, or if he was in the middle of a trade with you that was finalized and just waiting for shipping, please let me know and i will pass the information on to his father. it is clear that there was a strong morality that runs through nate's genes, another one of nate's traits that we will miss so dearly on the forums.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:38:26 »
I will also be meeting with Mr. Walter so if you do have anything left with the family, I can also pick it up and proxy/distribute/ship it to you when I return from Keycon.

For a badge idea? I was thinking the shape of a flat brim hat and maybe a french fry in the center. Does anyone else want to contribute ideas? Post 'em up here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 19:15:23 »
I will also be meeting with Mr. Walter so if you do have anything left with the family, I can also pick it up and proxy/distribute/ship it to you when I return from Keycon.

For a badge idea? I was thinking the shape of a flat brim hat and maybe a french fry in the center. Does anyone else want to contribute ideas? Post 'em up here.

The FF mystery key 3 logo?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 00:11:50 »
We already have the caps, seems redundant to have a badge with the same logo. But that's not a bad idea.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 02:58:34 »
We already have the caps, seems redundant to have a badge with the same logo. But that's not a bad idea.

Depends how the keycaps are going to be distributed.

If the badges are available for sale, then anyone could order one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 07:44:34 »
just putting a quick note in here in case you're not checking the keycon thread. nate's father will be at keycon, and there will be a private place reserved that you can share remembrances with him (and possibly the rest of the family) and collect yourself.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 09:00:42 »

Depends how the keycaps are going to be distributed.

If the badges are available for sale, then anyone could order one.

Flynn has already said he wanted to do something with the caps for the family and then sell the rest to the community at cost or have the profit donated to the Boy Scouts of America/Nate's Family/Charity.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #359 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:00:02 »
I haven't been hanging around the forum lately, but if mkawa's avatar is a good representation of the new key legends, then "SmallFry" is spelled wrong.  He repeatedly insisted on that capitalization in IRC.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 21:21:31 »
they aren't, they're a quick mockup that hashbaz did quite a while ago. for the time being i'll switch to Hashbaz's avatar

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:05:11 »
CPTBadAss just submitted my order! Thanks to the both of you!

I traded SmallFry an alixinhzai case Poker/GH60 case in exchange for assembly services. Today I got a call from the Post Office near his town. They wanted someone to sign for the case but the carrier was confused since it was my name on the package being delivered to his address.

I had to explain what happened and now the case is being forwarded to me.

ur order now
Poker    Crystal Clear   Crystal Clear   Crystal Clear   Pure Black   Pure Black   Christmas Red   fixed switch

I forgot if this will fit my GH60 (I ordered a ANSI 1.5x plate) but regardless, I'll be making a tribute board: Klaxon caps and this case on my GH60. I'll never swap the caps or sell the board.

Offline majnu

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 07:40:36 »
My condolences go out to the family and friends of Nathan and to all those people who knew him well on the forums. Such a great loss to us all :(

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:26:11 »
So sorry to hear that...
He was an eager member of GH.
Rest in Peace an in Memory of all GH members, Smallfry.
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 19:23:49 »
Rest in peace! Just said a prayer today.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #365 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 17:25:58 »
His mom posted about being at Keycon.  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/natewalter
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:47:10 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:53:24 »
Just in case that the link is hard to find later, the text from the post:       

Yesterday and today, we spent time with a bunch of people from the Geekhack community....it's a group of people who love keyboards the way Nathan did. I found myself listening to people talk about keyboards with the enthusiasm Nathan always had for these things, and while I didn't understand most of what they were talking about, I heard the spirit of my son in what they said. It made me emotional to hear their words because in them I heard the things I had not wanted to listen to when Nathan was here. I so wish I had paid more attention....not that I will ever understand what they are talking about or be interested in what they like, but to hear the spirit of my son is so beautiful, such a gift.
       Some of these folks came to the house today to see Nathan's keyboard collection and tell us about it. They continued to talk about his contributions to their world and how he continues to add to new members. People still want to know him. This is all such a mystery to me that people who never met my son in the flesh could have such love and passion for him. This type of love is true, rich faith.
         I thank them for their friendship because in that friendship, my son truly found a place that he could feel good, feel at home. I'm so pleased that he found this place! And while I would have loved him to have completed more homework and less Geekhack posts, I will always be thankful to Geekhack for their place in my son's life!

Eternally blessed,

Mama Fry

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 22:11:28 »
Just in case that the link is hard to find later, the text from the post:       

Yesterday and today, we spent time with a bunch of people from the Geekhack community....it's a group of people who love keyboards the way Nathan did. I found myself listening to people talk about keyboards with the enthusiasm Nathan always had for these things, and while I didn't understand most of what they were talking about, I heard the spirit of my son in what they said. It made me emotional to hear their words because in them I heard the things I had not wanted to listen to when Nathan was here. I so wish I had paid more attention....not that I will ever understand what they are talking about or be interested in what they like, but to hear the spirit of my son is so beautiful, such a gift.
       Some of these folks came to the house today to see Nathan's keyboard collection and tell us about it. They continued to talk about his contributions to their world and how he continues to add to new members. People still want to know him. This is all such a mystery to me that people who never met my son in the flesh could have such love and passion for him. This type of love is true, rich faith.
         I thank them for their friendship because in that friendship, my son truly found a place that he could feel good, feel at home. I'm so pleased that he found this place! And while I would have loved him to have completed more homework and less Geekhack posts, I will always be thankful to Geekhack for their place in my son's life!

Eternally blessed,

Mama Fry

The feels.
Chopping onions!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #369 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 18:54:00 »
For everyone who has asked me or said they wanted to do something to help commemorate/remember SmallFry, please check below.

Future SmallFry memorial plans can be found here.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:43:59 »
As a more casual member, I didn't really know the guy like many of you.
I'm not really one for words, so I'd rather just not say much.

Once everything is brought together, I'll be purchasing my first real set and making what I believe is my first donation.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #371 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:58:57 »
Wow...I'm glad this thread is still busy. I haven't been here for a year...and I DO remember Smallfry.
Very sad as he will be missed badly. Condolences to his family.
 :(
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline wyatt8740

• Machine code enthusiast
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:52:18 »
I am rather new here, but I lurked a lot before I registered and I feel I know him somehow.
...I'm just as old as he was...
I don't know what to say, but I'm a bit shocked myself.
RIP.
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline grave00

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:52:46 »
I second the post above.  I was moved to write when I noticed this bit of advice I just tracked down was from your friend.  Just a little tidbit on holding the spacebar pins in.  Gonna try it.  His words live on here.

You can also use paper. Anything that would increase the size a hair amount. -smallfry

Worth noting, his advice ended a 2 hour struggle at work with about 2 minutes at home.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:56:56 by grave00 »

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:34:14 »
I am new to this community so I did not know him, unfortunately. I'm sure he was a great guy.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 11:15:03 »
R. I. P. SmallFry
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 11:18:03 by Thimplum »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
« Reply #376 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 14:25:56 »
My heart goes out to all of Nathan's family and friends.

You left us too soon mate.

Offline Netbootz

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 13:23:40 »
I'm new to GH but read through this thread - moving. So sorry to hear a young man passing.  Especially feel for his parents and family.  Also feel for the guys that interacted with him in here.  This part of life is difficult.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 09:48:33 »
I'm new so unfortunately I did not get to meet you, but judging from everyone's kind words you were a very good person.

You will be sorely missed, my heart goes out to the family and friends involved.
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:14:56 »
I'm an infrequent user, and just clicked here.

This is sad. I didn't know Nate, but he was just a 'baby' really. Seemed like a really good kid, and it's heart breaking to see and hear about good young people dying.

Offline SNF

« Reply #380 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 17:29:27 »
RIP Smallfry

Offline MyNameIsFinn

« Reply #381 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:03:14 »
Just heard about it, I've been gone. He was always looking to help though. I was trying to get a price check, on what I don't know. But he wanted to help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline Rebel

• MAZANet
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 04:06:09 »
R.I.P. is all can say for the man, even i didn't know him, it is obvious that he was beloved around here.

Offline Cycane

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:09:20 »
R.I.P :(

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:18:40 »
I got tears in my eyes after reading the story, the blog, and the visit. I previously knew SmallFry has passed away but this is the first time I took some time to read more about it. I'm not very active in GH but I'm always lurking around from time to time. He was such a young kid, and I can't image how hard it must've been (and it's being) to the family to lose a son like that (he is young, healthy and active, and suddenly he is no more). My sincere condolences to his family.

GH helping the family's funding through selling/auctioning items is a really nice idea. You found a way of translating your passion for keyboards to other people that doesn't necessarily understand the value in this hobby, it's a beautiful gesture. I would never pay hundreds of bucks in a single keycap, but I'm eager to see some collector's keycaps to be sold for hundreds and the money being converted to the family.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline jevvix

« Reply #385 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 01:29:10 »
I lurk a lot but have ran across his posts several times. From what I can tell he was a great and helpful guy. What a tragedy this. Condolences to his family and friends.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:41:56 »
Alright, I guess now is the time to post in this thread.

If you've ever looked, you'll see that my account was created on the day after this thread was originally posted. Prior to that, I had never once been to GH. I feel I've finally grasped who Smallfry was, even though I've only been here 5 months (feels shorter). Smallfry wasn't "some user." He was... Smallfry. He knew so much, and he was willing to share that knowledge with everyone. You could always get excited to see a new post from him.

I guess that's as close as I'll ever get to properly expressing my thoughts on this.

-TS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:07:28 »
wow, as somebody who used to browse here a fair bit, coming back and finding this is heartwrenching.  I never knew him in real life but he was never anything but a class act on the boards.
RIP.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #388 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:03:02 »
Went back to using the Ergodox at work that SmallFry built for me.  A great reminder of a kid that did so much in his small time.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Reptile

« Reply #389 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 16:35:04 »
Man this sucks. I haven't logged on here in forever and this is one of the first things I see. I've lost way too many friends that were too young. R.I.P.
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 16:39:41 »
Man this sucks. I haven't logged on here in forever and this is one of the first things I see. I've lost way too many friends that were too young. R.I.P.

Welcome back, Reptile. Yeah, it's been rough without him here. He was like a sanity check, sometimes, you know?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 21:45:17 »
ditto. welcome back reptile. you might want to hit the keycon 2013 forum. nathan was an amazing kid, and i'm sure it's hitting you like it hit all of us at the time. there's a bit of closure in the keycon forum. what one can get from such a tragedy, anyway :(

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:30:58 »
Well..

I went on hiatus and arrive back to learn of this. It's a shame to lose someone to unfortunate events, and hits close to home at that as he was my younger brother's age, born in '96.

Albeit late, I do hope that his family gets closure and that he rest well. RIP, brother.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:42:14 »
I know there's a lot of people here that look at me oddly for mourning Smallfry, since I joined after he had passed, but I continue to dig through old posts, and I keep getting to know him better. It hurts, to know I'll never get to know him.

Yesterday I found the GH Great Coffee Exchange, and I went to go add my name to the ledger, just to be stopped in my tracks.

I'm a parent, and I can't even imagine. It's obvious we was something special, just by going on these forums. He touched so many people, and continues to brighten the lives of people he didn't even know.

I just can't even. I don't know.
Words fail.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #394 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:05:53 »
It's comforting to see that even now Smallfry posts are still helping people. I had just began to talk with him in IRC and on group Skype chats shortly before his passing. Since then I haven't really been on the IRC or any Skype chats which is something I really should get back to doing. There is no better way to really get to know people here. A few days after his passing, maybe a week, I opened up my Skype for the first time since I spoke with him in a group chat only to be greeted with this.
I kept it open on my Skype for days because I didn't want to click decline, even tho I knew I had to.... Happy New Year Nate. I'm sure we would have had some great conversations. Cheers!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:08:10 by YoungMichael88 »
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 19:41:46 »
:'(

I had something similar happen to me a while ago. It's hard.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LargeFry

• SmallFry's Father
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 21:44:16 »
Just wanted to drop a line and let you guys know that we still stop by periodically to see what is going on.  I always check this tread and appreciate the comments.  Thanks for keeping my son alive in your comments.

LargeFry

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #397 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 21:47:13 »
Just wanted to drop a line and let you guys know that we still stop by periodically to see what is going on.  I always check this tread and appreciate the comments.  Thanks for keeping my son alive in your comments.

LargeFry

He will forever be here as new and old members run across his posts!! I run across the occasional PM from Smallfry when I'm looing for older pm's, he was so helpful.

Hope you family is doing well and surviving this brutal winter!

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 22:13:43 »
What a bummer. 

*raises glass* 

Cheers, SmallFry -  Until we meet again...

"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 06:05:06 »

LargeFry

thanks for giving us a chance to get to know him. take care.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace