Author Topic: Converting SA Base Keycap Set To: Ergodox  (Read 4962 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Converting SA Base Keycap Set To: Ergodox
« on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 09:45:50 »
Hello!

I am trying to figure out what is needed to convert SA-profile keycap sets to fit an Ergodox.

So far, I've gathered that an Ergodox contains:

2.0x : 4
1.5x : 12
1.0x : 60

With your base SA set, you'll have your sculpted 4 x 5 1.0x's per hand, so that takes care of your main keys: numbers + letters.

1.0x : 60 - 20(2) = 20

So that leaves you with:

4x 2.0's
12x 1.5's
20x 1.0's

There are several modifiers that you could borrow directly from the core set, but you'd have to alternate blanks + printed keys. So that's a no go.

My main concern is mismatching key profiles. If I purchase blank sets of 10 SA keys direct from Signature Plastic, I imagine they'll all be one profile.

Is there a better solution? What have you done to fill your Ergodox keyboards with properly sculpted keycaps? I know my best bet is finding it in a BST or MechMarket but hypothetically, if I had to, what's my best bet?

Thanks!
Bryan
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 09:48:02 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Lobosmoose

Re: Converting SA Base Keycap Set To: Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:27:38 »
You can either get into a group buy that offers an ergodox kit when buying the alphas or you can get blanks from signature plastic. Signature Plastic offer different profiles for what row you want, the only thing is that sometimes they are sold out of certain color or profile. Also they only sell them packs of 10 for 1u, 4 for 1.5u, and 4 for 2u.

SA 1u:

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-1-space-pack-of-10/

SA 1.50u:

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-1-5-space-pack-of-4/

SA 2u:

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-2-space-pack-of-4/

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:34:13 »
You can buy multiple row profiles from PMK, but only in certain key sizes and colors.  It's a bit hit-or-miss.

That said, I was able to put together a respectable Ergodox kit from their blank stock.  I used Row 2 for the 1.5u keys -- SA Row 2 and 4 are literally the same key mold.  Since they're blank you can just flip them for the lower rows.  For the 2u keys I'd try to get Row 3 if you can find it in your color.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 14:41:07 »
You can buy multiple row profiles from PMK, but only in certain key sizes and colors.  It's a bit hit-or-miss.

That said, I was able to put together a respectable Ergodox kit from their blank stock.  I used Row 2 for the 1.5u keys -- SA Row 2 and 4 are literally the same key mold.  Since they're blank you can just flip them for the lower rows.  For the 2u keys I'd try to get Row 3 if you can find it in your color.

I'm considering to buy myself some SA blanks - do you perhaps have a picture of your board, perhaps?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 14:47:13 »
AFAIK It would be way easier and less of a cluster mess if you don't mind dcs or dsa. Unless you buy a set made for Ergodox chances are slim that you'll get the profile just right. Could get DSA dye-sub alphas, but I know that the profile is non-existent.

I could swear that I saw PBT colors in the SA blank key selection. That makes me wonder if PMK/SP will ever have a keyset run of dye-sub SA :)