Author Topic: Dyeing double shot keys? Double shot material?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline turbocharged

Dyeing double shot keys? Double shot material?
« on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 08:57:37 »
Has anyone ever tried to dye double shot keys with any success? I'm wanting to get a set of black cherry double shots (white letters) and dye them so that I have black keys with a different color letter.

I'm assuming they are made of ABS?? http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Key+Reference+-+Pics+and+specifications+for+various+manufacturers+keys#Cherry+Corp+H+series
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 09:03:48 »
I think ricercar has, and it works somewhat well.  I think he had a set of Cherry black double-shots that he dyed red resulting in pinkish-red letters.

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 09:24:29 »
Quote from: itlnstln;430084
I think ricercar has, and it works somewhat well.  I think he had a set of Cherry black double-shots that he dyed red resulting in pinkish-red letters.

Hmmm...I will probably just bail on the idea. If I can't get the letters as vibrant as the keys on 11900 (see picture), it won't be worth it and I'll just be disappointed.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28520[/ATTACH]
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 00:06:51 »
There was a guy in iMav's RIT dye thread that dyed doubleshots.  The black-on-white ones turned out pretty amazing.  The Escape key in this post was a white-on-black, and also looks fantastic.  No idea how well other colors would take.

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 09:21:00 »
Quote from: hashbaz;432103
There was a guy in iMav's RIT dye thread that dyed doubleshots.  The black-on-white ones turned out pretty amazing.  The Escape key in this post was a white-on-black, and also looks fantastic.  No idea how well other colors would take.

Interesting. He said "2-shot molded keys are a dream to work with."

ABS is just scary in general. However, this Dell AT101W (A keyboard that people have very limited success dyeing) that I did for a friend turned out well and has actually lasted the past year of daily abuse (which I didn't really expect). The left CTRL key is starting to show through the dye though....not bad though for a keyboard that is "undyeable".

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28750[/ATTACH]

Maybe I'll give it a go after all. I've got the key dyeing pretty much down to a science and I did just pick up a G80-11900HRMUS yesterday :).
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2011, 09:29:53 by turbocharged »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]