Author Topic: Measuring typing speed  (Read 2400 times)

Offline pushcx

Measuring typing speed
« on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:02:17 »
I'm going to be making a big jump from standard qwerty to the matrix layout of an ErgoDox, and I'm curious to measure my typing speed before and after. What software/websites do folks like for that?

I'd like to see normal sentences rather than random words (most games) or sentences heavy in punctuation and numbers (most typing teachers), and results with character count, time, accuracy, wpm, and wpm adjusted for accuracy. I can't seem to find something that reports on all of those.

Prefer something that works on Linux or in the browser, but I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
WTB a set of black-on-black, white-on-white, or gold side-printed cherry mx keycaps for the ErgoDox I'm building, please PM

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: Measuring typing speed
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:04:56 »
Typeracer or gnutypist :)

Offline vasouv

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:05:32 »
I used this a couple of times. It definitely shows words per minute and accuracy, can't recall anything else.

Offline pyro

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:09:02 »
Maybe http://type.trmnl.org does some of what you want, but it has no tracking mechanisms und always adjusts wpm for accuracy.

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 21:54:40 »
http://hi-games.net/typing/

This site has a nice feature of replaying your best speed, plus it has different test times for you.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:58:53 »
Don't expect miracles.  Get your before typing speed, but wait until you've adapted to the new layout before trying to measure your typing speed.  It's important to focus on accuracy first.  It might only take a day or two...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 16:21:00 »
Typeracer

Typeracer is absolutely horrible. There is no accuracy adjustment, no record for statistics or anything.
I think a good site with lots of information is keyhero, and then Stamino 3.0 for many full sentences if you don't mind ignoring of errors.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 19:50:58 »
For offline applications, I recommend Amphetype and Typing Tutor 7
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm