Author Topic: My summary of Keycon plus KEYBOARD COLLAGE  (Read 139583 times)

Offline mikekuehn

• mikekuehn.ca
My summary of Keycon plus KEYBOARD COLLAGE
« on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:59:05 »
Keycon looked amazing and I really wish I could have been there.  I watched all the live streams and presentations and wrote this summary:

"What you (and I) missed at Keycon 2014"

I work for Keyboardio and post code on GitHub

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: My summary of Keycon plus KEYBOARD COLLAGE
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:00:35 »
That's amazing! :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:02:11 »
Was waiting for this! Wonderful post :)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:02:33 »
Gonna have to give this a read through when I get a chance. :thumb:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:08:34 »
This thing is wireless and it's blowing my mind  And I can't find the damn backspace on this thing. It's impossibleasdfadjjdjdjdjd

haahh  :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:10:19 »
Mike made me look so smart. :3 Thanks Mike, it makes me feel better that I was helpful to at least one person. I didn't feel like I gave a good presentation. And this writeup is great, thanks for sharing. Plus that collage is wonderful!

This thing is wireless and it's blowing my mind  And I can't find the damn backspace on this thing. It's impossibleasdfadjjdjdjdjd

HHKB backspace too hard for me :(

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:13:11 »
Mike made me look so smart. :3 Thanks Mike, it makes me feel better that I was helpful to at least one person. I didn't feel like I gave a good presentation. And this writeup is great, thanks for sharing. Plus that collage is wonderful!

HHKB backspace too hard for me :(

Yeah I map the top right key to Backspace haha  :p

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:16:54 »
This would be a great way for someone interested in different kind of switches to actually sit down with a keyboard and try it out. Usually, the only way to do that is a lot of buying and selling (or, alternatively, gathering a collection of unused keyboards and spending an incredible amount of cash).
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:54:40 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:18:37 »
This would be a great way for someone interested in different kind of switches to actually sit down with a keyboard and try it out.

That's how I figured out what I liked so fast. I went to a few meetups soon after I joined Geekhack.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:24:56 »
This would be a great way for someone interested in different kind of switches to actually sit down with a keyboard and try it out.

That's how I figured out what I liked so fast. I went to a few meetups soon after I joined Geekhack.

Then you find out you like beam springs... :'(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:26:37 »
That totally happened....dorkvader visted me last year around Christmas time and bought a beamspring for me to ruin my taste in many other keyboards try out :(

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:29:22 »
Nice writeup! Very nicely presented.  :)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:56:17 »
That totally happened....dorkvader visted me last year around Christmas time and bought a beamspring for me to ruin my taste in many other keyboards try out :(

This is always the risk when trying something new. Personally I am not afraid that I won't like it. I am afraid that I will love it. When that happens you can bet that slowly but surely I will try to replace every keyboard I have. It already happened once with Topre, and I think it is better for everyone if that does not happen again.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline mikekuehn

• mikekuehn.ca
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:05:31 »
Nice writeup! Very nicely presented.  :)

Thanks, all!  There'd be nothing there if not for the great presentations and photos, so hats off to all involved.

By the way, have you checked out the full-size image?  A veritable orgy of keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:12:35 »
Fantastic writeup.

Summarises everything nicely :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 03:33:53 »
Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 23:07:33 »
Just so everyone knows, the keyboard right under where it says "acoustic" is my hall effect keyboard. The actual acoustic one is the one below that Samwisekoi(I think?) is typing on: (from a typewriter! A smith corona ultrasonic that HaaTa got, if I recall correctly.)

Full set of images:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/72157639444527936/

The keyboard pictured is my hall effect which does have a lifespan of 30 billion keystrokes, but it uses magnets not acoustics.

HaaTa has the telex KB: I think the one he had at keycon was from a TI unit. Though lots of hall KBs use a second "dummy" switch as a stabilizer.

Also, the matrix sample I presented was a modern idea to achieve diode-less NKRO for these switches, I don't think I've seen it implemented in practice (most are just wired up as normal 2kro types, since they are mainly for terminal sue I doubt they send upcodes)

I am very grateful for making me seem less boring though :) You could use my talk as an insomnia cure.
---
That KB everyone signed is en route to the GH'er!

Thanks so much for the post!
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 August 2014, 23:20:11 by dorkvader »

Offline mikekuehn

• mikekuehn.ca
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:38:47 »
Thanks so much for the clarifications, Sam!  I've changed the picture now.

I'll update my post with the other corrections for your talk, changing "Sam’s Telex keyboard" to "many hall effect keyboards" and clarifying about the NKRO matrix thing.  Didn't realize that was your idea... I hope you try it!  NKRO analog keyboard - yes please.  (midi/osc controller?)

So, the 30 billion keystrokes stat is for your hall effect KB?  How the hell did they even come up with that?

-Mike

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 14:08:01 »
Thanks so much for the clarifications, Sam!  I've changed the picture now.

I'll update my post with the other corrections for your talk, changing "Sam’s Telex keyboard" to "many hall effect keyboards" and clarifying about the NKRO matrix thing.  Didn't realize that was your idea... I hope you try it!  NKRO analog keyboard - yes please.  (midi/osc controller?)

So, the 30 billion keystrokes stat is for your hall effect KB?  How the hell did they even come up with that?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for updating! First of all: credit where it's due, I got the new NKRO matrix idea from HaaTa.

Sadly, the hall effect switches are schmitt triggered and can't really be analog: you'd have to replace all the hall sensors with modern ones for that. My first plan is to replace the PCB (since a PCB is required) with a new one allowing for NKRO. First I have to learn PCB-making software though :P

The 30-billion number is from a "hall effect sensing and application" document published by Honeywell that I found. It focuses on non-keyboard applications of Hall Effect sensors, but when quoting for reliability, they do specifically mention that it was measured on a keyboard. You can see the PDF here. (1541 Kb, PDF)
Long life (30 billion operations in a continuing keyboard module test program)
(page 7)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 August 2014, 14:11:42 by dorkvader »

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 16:51:02 »
Ha! This is awesome!
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter