Author Topic: Satan GH60  (Read 131147 times)

Offline sonwalker

Re: Satan GH60
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 20:11:20 »
I mean when reflash the file,  my keyboard doesnt accept the new one.  I dont know why,  2 weeks ago its still work for me,  but now i cant change the layer again with tkg tool kit and eep file download from tkg website,  even though i finish all the step correctly

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:31:00 »
Just got a Satan in the post. Damn white PCBs look good. Just waiting on some switches any day then I will get it all set up and give report back on how the flashing goes! Plan is ISO with all the split keys.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:18:00 »
I am without stabilizers, but am still trying to put together a Satan board right now. I'll remove some switches if necessary to install the stabs, I just wanted to be able to test the firmware.

The firmware is clearly TMK, and indeed when you first plug it in it works just fine, but has neither an FN key or any advanced features - just basic 60%. In fact you can't even get the F-keys!

Using software found here I've been able to dump and reflash firmware, or at least it appears to work.

Using a fork of TMK found here, made by the same github user, I've been able to compile a hex file which the other software appears to approve of and flash.

However, the keymap is the same afterwards! Even if I try an azerty keymap there's no change.

That's how it stood last night when I went to bed. Will continue testing tonight. I don't need many changes, but an fn layer is kind of important :|

Also, I ordered through Bhiner. Went off without a hitch, and their 50% DHL rebate was very handy. Cost me just over 22 USD to ship to Norway, and it took something like 4 days after paying on a weekend, most of which was apparently spent waiting for something to happen. As soon as DHL had it updates started coming in several times a day, and I had it within 36 hours.
Boards were 31 USD each, and I'm happy to say Bhiner is so happy to cheat the customs services that they have a specific field for it on their ordering form :)

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:54:32 »
I've used Kai Ryu's TMK fork on the RS60 I had before, and ran into the same problem (keymap wouldn't change if the firmware is updated). Looking at the sources, I realised that he's storing the current keymap in EEPROM, so even if you update the actual firmware, the keymap stays as it was before (because EEPROM is not normally updated along with the firmware). The solution I found (which worked for me) was to use the bootmagic key combo at power up that clears eeprom (it should be space+backspace by default).

Offline Ryu

• GitHub
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:19:29 »
I've used Kai Ryu's TMK fork on the RS60 I had before, and ran into the same problem (keymap wouldn't change if the firmware is updated). Looking at the sources, I realised that he's storing the current keymap in EEPROM, so even if you update the actual firmware, the keymap stays as it was before (because EEPROM is not normally updated along with the firmware). The solution I found (which worked for me) was to use the bootmagic key combo at power up that clears eeprom (it should be space+backspace by default).

I apology for the lack of document on my fork. You can find my comment about this feature here: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/pull/113#issuecomment-48425977
But this time I think it's not my bad :(

Offline Ryu

• GitHub
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:23:19 »
I am without stabilizers, but am still trying to put together a Satan board right now. I'll remove some switches if necessary to install the stabs, I just wanted to be able to test the firmware.

The firmware is clearly TMK, and indeed when you first plug it in it works just fine, but has neither an FN key or any advanced features - just basic 60%. In fact you can't even get the F-keys!

Using software found here I've been able to dump and reflash firmware, or at least it appears to work.

Using a fork of TMK found here, made by the same github user, I've been able to compile a hex file which the other software appears to approve of and flash.

However, the keymap is the same afterwards! Even if I try an azerty keymap there's no change.

That's how it stood last night when I went to bed. Will continue testing tonight. I don't need many changes, but an fn layer is kind of important :|

Also, I ordered through Bhiner. Went off without a hitch, and their 50% DHL rebate was very handy. Cost me just over 22 USD to ship to Norway, and it took something like 4 days after paying on a weekend, most of which was apparently spent waiting for something to happen. As soon as DHL had it updates started coming in several times a day, and I had it within 36 hours.
Boards were 31 USD each, and I'm happy to say Bhiner is so happy to cheat the customs services that they have a specific field for it on their ordering form :)

Please try TKG  ;)

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:15:40 »
I apology for the lack of document on my fork. You can find my comment about this feature here: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/pull/113#issuecomment-48425977
I didn't mean to imply that there's any problem with your work - it was just a bit unexpected ;) It might be good in the long run to main some kind of "changelog" to explain the changes from the standard TMK, to make it easier for the people coming from there :) Nice work, by the way ;)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 08:40:05 »

That's probably it. I set that variable and copied those functions from a blog, believing that it was in order to enable REVCHN-support. But I guess it's optional, so I'll try it without the variable set and see what happens.
I'll try TKG as well, but first I need some sleep - it's very much friday afternoon, and I've had a hell of a week :)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:34:01 »
Yep, clearing EEPROM was the trick. I'll try to write up a quick little guide with what you need to do, it should be about 6 steps not including installing all the dependencies for compiling TMK or writing your own keymap, which is covered elsewhere.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:14:31 »
Yep, clearing EEPROM was the trick. I'll try to write up a quick little guide with what you need to do, it should be about 6 steps not including installing all the dependencies for compiling TMK or writing your own keymap, which is covered elsewhere.

It would be appreciated  :) I'm sat waiting on stabs to arrive so I've done nothing more with my PCB than power it up and test it works.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 06:32:48 »
Here's my tiny guide:
Guide
Note that I might have forgotten a step or two, so let me know and I'll update the guide as needed.

Edit: Fixed the link. This forum hates my username!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:58:02 by tofgerl »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 14:44:37 »
Holy crap, it's been almost two months!

Well, I've now used this PCB for a few weeks, after finally getting all the parts and building two keyboards. The third is in the wings, I just need more stabilizers.
Quick verdict: Absolutely no reason to not get this. The only thing it doesn't have is good documentation and support for RGB LEDs, and both things are for newbs ;)

I quickly disabled the 'store keymap in EEPROM' thing, as it was tedious to first flash the keymap, then clear EEPROM, then test the keymap, then repeat. I might make a quick zipfile with the changes I made in Makefile and config.h. The additions to your keymap is no longer needed without the EEPROM thing.

Anyway, if people ask me to, I will update my gist to remove the EEPROM thing, thus making the process a little simpler. But this thread has died, so for all I know I'm the only person who will ever use this PCB :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 14:51:46 »
Holy crap, it's been almost two months!

Well, I've now used this PCB for a few weeks, after finally getting all the parts and building two keyboards. The third is in the wings, I just need more stabilizers.
Quick verdict: Absolutely no reason to not get this. The only thing it doesn't have is good documentation and support for RGB LEDs, and both things are for newbs ;)

I quickly disabled the 'store keymap in EEPROM' thing, as it was tedious to first flash the keymap, then clear EEPROM, then test the keymap, then repeat. I might make a quick zipfile with the changes I made in Makefile and config.h. The additions to your keymap is no longer needed without the EEPROM thing.

Anyway, if people ask me to, I will update my gist to remove the EEPROM thing, thus making the process a little simpler. But this thread has died, so for all I know I'm the only person who will ever use this PCB :)

I'd appreciate the udpate  :)

Glad to hear the pcb has worked out well for you. I'm still waiting on my stabilizers... seems like only people who hate themselves decied to use 7u pcb mount stabs  :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 14:53:04 »
One day I will build my Satan board.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Aqoush

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 19:44:13 »
Good to hear about the Satan GH60 -- I've ordered 2 of these and will be trying them out by the end of January hopefully. Seems like it was a bit of work to figure out how to get custom keymappings. I'll test out your guide and return feedback soon  :thumb:

Offline Connly33

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 19:55:43 »
I have one on the way for my first build, it should be here in about a week, so i'm glad there are a few of these threads talking about the satan GH60. I was going to go with a Sprit 60% for $60 but they sold out right before i had the money, so i got one of these on ebay from a vietnamese seller for $43. Along with stabilizers.  I'm a complete newb when it comes to firmware and programming layout's so i'm glad there are a few guides out there.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:09:22 »
OK.  So.

I got one of these boards and have it assembled, it works fine, except one thing that gives me pause is I can't use dfu-programmer to dump the GH60's original firmware.  This is using my laptop with Ubuntu 15.04.

Code: [Select]
jeffj@jeffj-MacBookPro:~$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 dump
Failed to read 28672 bytes from device.
jeffj@jeffj-MacBookPro:~$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 dump-eeprom
Failed to read 1024 bytes from device.

Interestingly, I can get other info using dfu-programmer and issue a reset/start.

jeffj@jeffj-MacBookPro:~$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 get family
Family Code: 0x1e (30)
jeffj@jeffj-MacBookPro:~$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 get product-name
Product Name: 0x95 (149)
jeffj@jeffj-MacBookPro:~$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 get bootloader-version
Bootloader Version: 0x00 (0)

any ideas?

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:06:13 »
Got impatient, went ahead and flashed using to***erl's tutorial, it surprisingly worked but I can't erase EEPROM in linux using the windows util.bat obviously.  dfu-programmer still has no idea how to dump or flash anything, so I am left hanging in terms of how to erase the EEPROM.

root@jeffj-MacBookPro:~# dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash-eeprom empty.eep
Error while programming eeprom.

root@jeffj-MacBookPro:~# dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash-eeprom empty.eep --debug 5
     target: atmega32u4
    chip_id: 0x2ff4
  vendor_id: 0x03eb
    command: flash-eeprom
      quiet: false
      debug: 5
device_type: AVR
------ command specific below ------
   validate: true
   hex file: empty.eep

Error while programming eeprom.

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:27:22 »
OK, I figured out what I was doing.  Here is my simplified guide for how to reprogram the GH60-RevCHN (AKA the GH60 'Satan Intention to do').

It is quite simple really.  Go to the TKG keymap generator, http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/ input the raw data of your layers from the keyboard layout editor tool, download your keymap.eep for the RevCHN, download Kai's tkg-toolkit, do setup.sh accordingly, then do "./reflash.sh keymap.eep" in the 'linux' folder...  Done.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 23:10:55 »
OK, I figured out what I was doing.  Here is my simplified guide for how to reprogram the GH60-RevCHN (AKA the GH60 'Satan Intention to do').

It is quite simple really.  Go to the TKG keymap generator, http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/ input the raw data of your layers from the keyboard layout editor tool, download your keymap.eep for the RevCHN, download Kai's tkg-toolkit, do setup.sh accordingly, then do "./reflash.sh keymap.eep" in the 'linux' folder...  Done.

I cant wait untill the PCB gets here so i can put it together and play around with the keymapping. This makes it seem a lot more simple and , well doable for someone like me that doesnt have much experience with keyboard firmware.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:17:54 »

New URL for the tool: http://keyboard.fans/tkg/
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:38:29 »
For people who don't want to deal with taobao

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272032784852

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:40:23 »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 06:26:41 »
I'm going to add that tkg url to the new simplified howto once I get the time.
The new howto will skip the whole eeprom thing.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 07:33:14 »
For people who don't want to deal with taobao

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272032784852

That's who i went through. Should be here in a few days

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:14:28 »
got mine from ebay a month ago

never posted on geekhack about it but i really like the board, price not too bad, easy to program, backlighting works fine

Offline Connly33

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:56:32 »

never posted on geekhack about it but i really like the board, price not too bad, easy to program, backlighting works fine

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks pretty good. It's making me regret not getting LED's initially, i can always get some later and add them then though.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:02:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool post, these can be some of the easier 60% pcbs to get a hold of at times, so its nice to know they are actually pretty good!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:28:53 »
Using TKG toolkit I cannot seem to reflash the board. Pressing the button on the PCB when running reflash seems to turn off the board, but the script doesn't seem to connect to it  :confused:   Anyone had this experience?

EDIT: for whatever reason, the button on the pcb didn't seem to work properly but the 'magic' button and 'pause' managed to bump it correctly into bootloader :D I now have a nice split backspace ISO keyboard set up in Canadian Multilingual  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 23:27:01 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:33:37 »
Using TKG toolkit I cannot seem to reflash the board. Pressing the button on the PCB when running reflash seems to turn off the board, but the script doesn't seem to connect to it  :confused:   Anyone had this experience?
Me. For some reason it worked with the backside button for a good two weeks then it suddenly stopped.

EDIT: for whatever reason, the button on the pcb didn't seem to work properly but the 'magic' button and 'pause' managed to bump it correctly into bootloader :D I now have a nice split backspace ISO keyboard set up in Canadian Multilingual  :thumb:
What's the magic button? Both shifts?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 05:17:31 »
Ironically I could never get the magic button to work, but the little hardware-button works fine. *shrug*

Oh, and I should REALLY update that gist. Think I'll do that now...

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 06:09:49 »
Yep, both shifts and pause (which is in the function layer) did it for me... Funnily enough, I flashed a layout which didn't have the pause key on it, but the PCB button started to work after that :/

Tofgerl: the steps for deleting 'tmk_core*' folders, I think you just need to do 'git submodule update'.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:43:05 »
I got confused and actually worked on my work-stuff instead...

nathan: That is true now, but wasn't then. I'll fix it, though. You know, in that fantastical period of time where things actually get done.

Edit: I saved the gist in a somewhat unstable state. DO NOT USE AS IS.
Use this old version instead: https://gist.github.com/to***erl/7182f2c6dd803a68b952/50600b177c32f22add6d1341b11babcf3bf19de8
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:47:23 by tofgerl »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:37:03 »

nathan: That is true now, but wasn't then. I'll fix it, though. You know, in that fantastical period of time where things actually get done.

Use this old version instead: https://gist.github.com/to***erl/7182f2c6dd803a68b952/50600b177c32f22add6d1341b11babcf3bf19de8

Yea, that makes sense. Some of the links are broken too (as I'm sure you noticed).

Just want to say thanks for taking the time to make the walk through in the first place! I was in a position where I had re-installed my OS, so even though I've flashed some pcbs before, I had to start from scratch and your guide was priceless.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:10:44 »

There are two 404'd links in your tutorial here https://gist.github.com/to***erl/7182f2c6dd803a68b952.

I really dont know what i'm doing  :'( :'( :'(

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:58:21 »

There are two 404'd links in your tutorial here https://gist.github.com/to***erl/7182f2c6dd803a68b952.

It's because TMK switch branch names:

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/core/doc/build.md
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/core/doc/keymap.md

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:06:18 »
I had good luck programming the KC60 keyboard (purchased from Massdrop). Is it possible to get the KC60 PCB as a separate item?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:22:05 »
Are these pcbs pretty reliable? I just need a pcb to replace my broken poker 2 pcb and I don't care for programmability.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:26:50 »

It's because TMK switch branch names:

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/core/doc/build.md
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/core/doc/keymap.md

Thank you kind stranger <3

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 12:20:30 »
Fixed URLs and made some small corrections. I'm going to run through the entire process as if I was following the tutorial later tonight just to doublecheck, but it should be OK now. I might be missing some editing, though - I feel like I edited at least SOME files...

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:00:21 »
Fixed URLs and made some small corrections. I'm going to run through the entire process as if I was following the tutorial later tonight just to doublecheck, but it should be OK now. I might be missing some editing, though - I feel like I edited at least SOME files...

Thank you for your commitment to this specific PCB. If you werent doing this, I would have a much more difficult time

Offline wockytocky

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:41:29 »
I had good luck programming the KC60 keyboard (purchased from Massdrop). Is it possible to get the KC60 PCB as a separate item?

I don't think so, it only comes pre-assembled from massdrop. You might have to do what I did, which is buy a KC60 and harvest the pcb for yourself

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 18:59:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What a weird colour for a PCB.  I thought using the "SATAN" theme at least the pcb would be done in total Black with a metal plate in Red.

You're confusing me with the usage of "white" when I know all Satan worshipers love Black and Red  ;)   .

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 06:41:39 »
That's not exclusive to Satan-worshippers.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 09:56:59 »
The color doesn't matter, what really matters is that it depends on what your intention to do is.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 23:25:33 »
The color doesn't matter, what really matters is that it depends on what your intention to do is.

Thought that would be self evident, summon the Dark One before you once this keyboard is made  8) .

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 12:09:13 »
The work on the revised guide has been slightly delayed by the fact that I don't actually have a Satan board at home right now. I broke one, one is at work, and the third lacks stabilizers, so it's not yet been built.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:33:57 »
The work on the revised guide has been slightly delayed by the fact that I don't actually have a Satan board at home right now. I broke one, one is at work, and the third lacks stabilizers, so it's not yet been built.

Nice! hopefully you throw it together soon.
Howd you break the one??

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:35:40 »
Soldering gun, inexperience and a switch that wouldn't be desoldered 😂

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:38:24 »
I still need to solder mine   :'( Now i'm scared