Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 457016 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

Offline jbondeson

Group buy is live?

Zeal was saying in irc that he's not quite ready.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Offline mattyIce

Just ordered 65g tactiles for my neutrino!  $15 DHL 1 day express shipping was my only option, however.
I was a little surprised by the $15 shipping as well. If there is a cheaper option I don't mind waiting.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
Group buy is live?

Zeal was saying in irc that he's not quite ready.

My order went through and I received my confirmation email.  Don't forget to click the option to enter the Bingcap raffle.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Show Image

Oh holy ****.

* HoffmanMyster bribes everyone

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
To everyone asking for a cheaper USA shipping method: There's only Canada Post Tracked Packet USA (4-10 business days), and it costs a mere $1-2 less. Canada Post doesn't have the low prices you guys have in the states. Good thing is overnight shipping is well worth it, trust me. ;)

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
To everyone asking for a cheaper USA shipping method: There's only Canada Post Tracked Packet USA (4-10 business days), and it costs a mere $1-2 less. Canada Post doesn't have the low prices you guys have in the states. Good thing is overnight shipping is well worth it, trust me. ;)

Yea, that's why I had no issue with paying the $15.  Well worth the money and they get into my hands even faster.  Too bad I'll still be waiting on a Carbon set to complete this build.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
ahh holy.. how much do you expect to sell them for in your store after the gb? Thinking of only getting a tkl amount of switches as I can't think of spending 100+ on switches that I won't use relatively quickly
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
Show Image

When does this raffle end? :3
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline KaminKevCrew

Made my order!!! Really excited to get my first custom board built!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
Purchased.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline KaminKevCrew

I just hope I'm within the first batch of orders to be shipped out also, 1 day shipping is sweet! (I've been shipping headphones through FedEx, and I've been paying about the same price for shipping as these switches were, but it takes a week,  so for me, this is relatively cheap!)

Offline 3K

Now all we need is an EU proxy...  :-X

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
Ordered!! Woo this is so exciting

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
that price though.

Hmm...

I'll probably get a set, but not sure if i'm willing to pay for two >.>

Offline KaminKevCrew

@zeal, I just realized I was an idiot and ordered 65! And that's definitely NOT a multiple of ten! Can I change my order to five more switches, or do you mind that I made that mistake? My apologies for my idiocy.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
@zeal, I just realized I was an idiot and ordered 65! And that's definitely NOT a multiple of ten! Can I change my order to five more switches, or do you mind that I made that mistake? My apologies for my idiocy.

Up to you if you want to re-order. I can count 5 more switches, but if everyone does this, I'll be a sad panda. :(

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
ahh holy.. how much do you expect to sell them for in your store after the gb? Thinking of only getting a tkl amount of switches as I can't think of spending 100+ on switches that I won't use relatively quickly

They will be more expensive after the GB.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
jumping in for my Mira switches, glws Zeal!  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Bucky

I was planning on doing the same with the Mira, should be a sweet combination.

Offline KaminKevCrew

Up to you if you want to re-order. I can count 5 more switches, but if everyone does this, I'll be a sad panda. :(
I don't think they will. It was totally my fault (it's very clearly written on the order page, and I read it too. I was going to order 60, as it's a multiple of ten, but I thought "oh, well it might be nice to have some extra switches" and immediately forgot about your request for multiples of ten. I bet I'll be the only one, and if there are more, I couldn't imagine more than a handful of the orders would be like this. Especially considering that it sounds like a lot of people will be ordering a few hundred... Again, my apologies.

Offline Uhmkevinkev

So I'm just confirming in the review on keychatter it says the 67g purple has a little click sound is this true?
If not I am still going to buy them.

Also how much will they cost after the GB?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:58:12 by Uhmkevinkev »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
So I'm just confirming in the review on keychatter it says the 67g purple has a little click sound is this true?
If not I am still going to buy them.

Also how much will they cost after the GB?

No, they don't click like clicky switches. I think what he meant was it removed a bit of the "top-out" sound when the stem bounces back due to the lube.

Price after GB will depend on how many I'll have to order to cover MOQ, or if MOQ gets reached, how many extras I decide on order. So there's no set price yet.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
I'm used to Topre 55g and buckling springs. Which Purple would be best for me? 65g or 67g? Deciding which to get for my Jane.

Also, never used linear before on a board, but thinking of putting some in my Mira, when that happens. Since I like heavier switches, would 67g be too heavy or should I opt for 65g?
First-world decisions, decisions...!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I'm used to Topre 55g and buckling springs. Which Purple would be best for me? 65g or 67g? Deciding which to get for my Jane.

Also, never used linear before on a board, but thinking of putting some in my Mira, when that happens. Since I like heavier switches, would 67g be too heavy or should I opt for 65g?

I'm not you, so I really can't make that decision D: It does sound like you like heavier switches though.

67g Clear Zealio is still lighter than MX Blacks. Keep that in mind!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

I'm not you, so I really can't make that decision D: It does sound like you like heavier switches though.

67g Clear Zealio is still lighter than MX Blacks. Keep that in mind!

Ah, okay. Thanks! Looks like I'll opt for the 67g for my Mira. The Jane will be my first MX board, and so I've never used Ergo Clears, but have decided that those will be my first switch. May go for Purple 65g since that so far seems to be the most favorable after all three reviews are averaged.

Offline zvans18

did the clears/linears get any special attention other than the springs and 4pin compatible, transparent housing? (specifically looking for a butter linear)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2015, 15:11:44 by zvans18 »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
did the clears/linears get any special attention other than the springs and 4pin compatible, transparent housing? (specifically looking for a butter linear)

Yep! Please refer to this image (clear & black stems are the same mould) Black just happens to be easier to take a macro pic of.

Offline zvans18

Yep! Please refer to this image (clear & black stems are the same mould) Black just happens to be easier to take a macro pic of.
Show Image

Ooh, never seen that comparison, very nice. A couple follow-up questions though: 1- I guess closer to my actual original question is do your linears differ from standard gaterons, which are already better than cherry, by more than what i mentioned or could I get away with standard gat linears and custom springs if i wanted new weight? (if I didn't want RGB support) 2- I keep hearing you refer to the weights as 62 being around brown territory and your 67 being lighter than blacks, but ripster's tests seem to disagree, maybe I'm just not understanding something?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Show Image

Ooh, never seen that comparison, very nice. A couple follow-up questions though: 1- I guess closer to my actual original question is do your linears differ from standard gaterons, which are already better than cherry, by more than what i mentioned or could I get away with standard gat linears and custom springs if i wanted new weight? (if I didn't want RGB support) 2- I keep hearing you refer to the weights as 62 being around brown territory and your 67 being lighter than blacks, but ripster's tests seem to disagree, maybe I'm just not understanding something?

Happy to answer those questions.

1: The RGB switch top further enhances the smoothness of the Gateron / Zealio switches as the guiding rails have been tweaked slightly. From my brief testing, the "catching issue" some people have reported using regular clear tops / milky Gateron tops with thicker keycaps are not present on the RGB switch tops.

2: The 62g, 65g and 67g spring weights you see me referencing are "Korean spring weights", which measure the bottom out force of the switch instead of the actuation force, like Cherry. It's confusing at first, but once you feel it, you'll be able to relate.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder

Show Image

Is it me or there is a different in density in the plastic between the gateron sliding (I don't know how to call it, the thing on top left of the switch) part and the cherry one?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Show Image

Is it me or there is a different in density in the plastic between the gateron sliding (I don't know how to call it, the thing on top left of the switch) part and the cherry one?

Are you referring that the Gateron has a bit more plastic on the rear leg in the back? If so, it does appear that the leg is more "filled in". Though it wouldn't make much of a difference in the feeling. :P The point of the pic was to show off the smoothness & roughness of the slider legs.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder

Show Image

Are you referring that the Gateron has a bit more plastic on the rear leg in the back? If so, it does appear that the leg is more "filled in". Though it wouldn't make much of a difference in the feeling. The point of the pic was to show off the smoothness & roughness of the slider legs.
That's what i tried to explain in my own terms.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
Re: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #687 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:13:12 »
I was going to purchase a small batch of these for a college project, but the shipping is just so much :(

Offline dohbot

Re: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #688 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 18:06:26 »
Pretty sure this has been asked before but I just want to triple check before I send in my purchase, the springs are done in the korean weighting and the 62g is just a bit heavier than normal browns? Or is it a bit heavier than blues? I know 65g is suggested, and do they come factory lubed and if so what would be the advantages of lubing them ourselves?

Thanks so much!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline ika

« Reply #689 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 18:16:26 »
I was going to purchase a small batch of these for a college project, but the shipping is just so much :(

Depending on when your project is due and where you live, you can ask for someone to tack on a few more switches for you and ship them out after they receive it in whatever country you live in (guessing US).

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #690 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 18:27:53 »
Pretty sure this has been asked before but I just want to triple check before I send in my purchase, the springs are done in the korean weighting and the 62g is just a bit heavier than normal browns? Or is it a bit heavier than blues? I know 65g is suggested, and do they come factory lubed and if so what would be the advantages of lubing them ourselves?

Thanks so much!

Yes, the springs are measured by Korean weighting system, and 62g is a bit heavier than stock Cherry MX brown/blue/red switches -- they all share the same spring.

The legs are factory lubed on Zealios. Purchasing Krytox lube is so that the end user has more control on what points they want lubed, as lubing is subjective to each person's taste.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #691 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 19:36:05 »

Thanks so much!

Yes, the springs are measured by Korean weighting system, and 62g is a bit heavier than stock Cherry MX brown/blue/red switches -- they all share the same spring.

The legs are factory lubed on Zealios. Purchasing Krytox lube is so that the end user has more control on what points they want lubed, as lubing is subjective to each person's taste.

Great!! I'll go in for 80 62g and some lube for when things should be getting  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2015, 19:38:37 by dohbot »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #692 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:48:06 »
Can anyone compare this to Matias quiet switch?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #693 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:13:24 »

Once they ship, I'll try.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #694 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:51:03 »

Once they ship, I'll try.
Great! Thanks!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #695 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:59:14 »

In addition to this post, I'll add some of my thoughts here.

I really like the Zealio switch but I prefer the Matias Quiet switch. I like the higher actuation point. I REALLY like the bottom out feeling you get in the Matias Quiets because of the rubber inserts. It's a little cushiony. I think that the tactile bump is sharper feeling and not as rounded as anything MX-mount. To me, Alps tactile switches > MX-mount.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #696 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 15:23:53 »

I really like the Zealio switch but I prefer the Matias Quiet switch. I like the higher actuation point. I REALLY like the bottom out feeling you get in the Matias Quiets because of the rubber inserts. It's a little cushiony. I think that the tactile bump is sharper feeling and not as rounded as anything MX-mount. To me, Alps tactile switches > MX-mount.

You got me curious, but aren't ALPS keycaps set really hard to find?

Offline KaminKevCrew

Matias makes switches that are essentially the same, afaik

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder

Matias makes switches that are essentially the same, afaik

I meant Alps in general not particularly for the Matias switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #699 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 15:31:09 »
Modern Alps keysets in fun colors are hard to find but starting to become more common. Tai Hao sets and SP sets are starting to gain headway.

Vintage Alps keysets are common and easy to find on eBay and other places. And cheap. I've picked up Alps compatible rubber dome keyboards for $2.