Author Topic: Modding keyboard layouts with minimum pain  (Read 1070 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Modding keyboard layouts with minimum pain
« on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:30:53 »
This is just Gutz's personal experience. It won't apply to everyone or every board. But I think the insight from my little experience may help everyone.

Problem:
I have a PLU board that I modded and generally am quite happy with.
What I hated about my board was that the stock PLU layout has changed the right windows key into an anti windows key, and the apps key got changed into a trigger key for PLU's function layer which I don't use.

Intention:
I wanted to mod the keys back to a stock function as painlessly and unintrusively as possible. When I say unintrusive, it means I don't want to do anything irreversible such as cutting traces and scraping solder mask.

I posted on this forum but can't find my original post. Suicidal orange was nice enough to note that there are jumpers. 107026-0

As you can see from my pix, jumpers 12 are shorted for both pads on both keys. That's a total of four jumper pads.

I removed all the solder using solder wick. I found the solder sucker poor for this task, since these pads are not through hole.

107028-1

Then I tried shorting jumpers 23 instead, on the suspicion that this PCB was manufactured with alternative layouts in mind. 107030-2

My guess proved correct, and now I have my happily-stock layout modded PLU keyboard!

At various times in my experience I have come across non standard layout keyboards. Next time you are burdened with such a board, why not check to see if there are jumpers that you can short on the PCB?

Special thanks to suicidal_orange. I did use flux cleaner and cleaned up my PCB after taking the photo.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:33:29 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
Re: Modding keyboard layouts with minimum pain
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:22:30 »
If GH had a reputation points system, I would give you one for that post. :thumb:
Jesus loves you.