Author Topic: PCB Eyelet repair  (Read 2833 times)

Offline blcksqrrl

• I'm afraid that I just blue myself
PCB Eyelet repair
« on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:35:13 »
I was removing some solder from an Apple Keyboard (M0116) and when I went back to solder on the wires for the converter I notice that the silver eyelets where no longer there. Is there anything that I can do to fix it?

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Apple Extended Keyboard II

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: PCB Eyelet repair
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:57:41 »
You need to connect the converter pin to somewhere the "eyelet" should be connected to - probably a switch pin or a diode.

A picture would be very useful, preferably one from an angle where the traces on the PCB are visible :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:10:33 »
If you see the trace, you can gently scrape off the clear protective layer to expose bare copper.

If you can solder a short thin piece of wire to it, and to the leg of the switch, you will have a connection.

There are "paint pens" that lay down conductive material, but the wire is (potentially) easier and cheaper.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline blcksqrrl

• I'm afraid that I just blue myself
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 23:56:47 »
If you see the trace, you can gently scrape off the clear protective layer to expose bare copper.

If you can solder a short thin piece of wire to it, and to the leg of the switch, you will have a connection.

There are "paint pens" that lay down conductive material, but the wire is (potentially) easier and cheaper.

I thought about the scrap-n-solder method, but decided that I would prefer to repair it as best I could. I know that I will probably one of the only people here to see the inside of this particular keyboard, but just knowing it is there will still annoy me. How difficult do you think that it would be to use one of the conductive pens that you're talking about? That was another thought that I had and I just wanted to hear from someone else that this was a viable option. I had also seen something like this, but I am unsure about it due to the fact that I am only seeing information from one company.

You need to connect the converter pin to somewhere the "eyelet" should be connected to - probably a switch pin or a diode.

A picture would be very useful, preferably one from an angle where the traces on the PCB are visible :)

Thanks for taking a look, I've attached a picture.

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Apple Extended Keyboard II

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 03:12:05 »
There are products to repair these sort of things...

That PCB looks like it's only one-sided. You probably only would need some round pad of replacement copper. Don't ask me any further about it though. I never used anything like that. I would just put in a jumper to where that pin was going =)