Author Topic: Keycaps standing out  (Read 2018 times)

Offline amigastar

Keycaps standing out
« on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:10:33 »
Hello,

i hope this is the right section for this kind of question.
i bought the "WASD" Cherry MX Keycap Set  from WASD Keyboards site and installed them on my Ducky Zero, the thing is they are higher than the stock keycaps. is this normal or is there some trick or something?

sorry i'm a noob with this things

thanks

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Keycaps standing out
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:12:18 »
Think the profiles are mismatched. You're sure you've pushed them in all the way? If so, the WASD caps are not the same height as the Ducky caps. They're molded to be a different profile and taller.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:15:04 »
It's a matter of profile, your ducky Zero stock caps are OEM while WASD is DCS, maybe the other way around i'm not sure.

Keycaps profile : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550.0
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline amigastar

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:21:13 »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:24:43 »
This page : http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1366948-keycap-compatibility
seems to indicate that Wasd caps are OEM so should be of the same profile that a Ducky.

Are the key fully pushed down?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline amigastar

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:27:19 »
This page : http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1366948-keycap-compatibility
seems to indicate that Wasd caps are OEM so should be of the same profile that a Ducky.

Are the key fully pushed down?

Yes i suppose so the red keycaps that came with the ducky are also higher than stock. maybe i'm doing it wrong but i mean i pressed them down. the difference is that the stock keycaps snap in at a certain point, the others don't  :(
When i compare the WASD keys withe the stock keys the look basically the same although the snap in hole may be different cant tell.
But if you look at this picture (not mine) you can see also the wasd keys being higher than the others.
http://i.imgur.com/tOFl3YO.jpg
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:01:37 by amigastar »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:27:38 »
Looks like two different profiles on the caps.

I think OEM is a bit of a misnomer. Caps on the Cherry MX 3.0 Board could technically be called OEM profile but they're even shorter than DSA. And obviously here, you see that WASD OEM =/= Ducky OEM. To me, OEM seems like a catch all phrase when we can't put it into the DCS or Cherry profile camps.

Offline amigastar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:10:33 »
Thats true the MX  3.0 keyboard is even flatter.
I wrote to the WASD Service, will see what advice they can give me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:14:39 by amigastar »

Offline amigastar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:13:50 »
Ok Guys,
time for some news. i used my thumb to press the wasd caps in and it seems they are pretty level with the other keys right now.
I didn't think there has to be such big force to get them in place.

Thanks for all your help, people.

Mods, feel free to close this thread.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 19:02:20 by amigastar »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 20:13:10 »
You can close the thread yourself, by clicking the "lock" button in the bottom left corner of the page.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ