Author Topic: My first Dvorak Experience  (Read 5716 times)

Offline domsch1988

My first Dvorak Experience
« on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 04:48:33 »
Hello everyone,
for the longest time i have said, that the ergonomic benefit of Dvorak is not worth the hassle of learning a new layout. Since then i received my atreus. Since the default qwerty layout is far from optimal for my needs, i started to shuffle things around. I soon realised, that it is not that easy... So i thought, since the atreus comes with a hardware Dvorak mode, i would give it a fair shot this time. Since no OS changes are needed, it is convenient to do. I just flashed the layout, put the key map on my second monitor and started typing.
After one hour of typing tests, i could remember nearly all keys. I went down from my usual 80 wpm to around 8 wpm :eek: Today, one day later i start to see improvements. Im back up to 20 wpm. I feel like i gain speed much faster than i did with qwerty back than  :thumb:

Right now i feel like i might have not done this layout justice in the past... I hope to get back to 40 wpm by the end of the week  ;) I will report back in this thread on reaching further milestones  :thumb:
It took me around 50 minutes to write this up. So let me know how your switch to a new layout went and how long it took you to gain reasonable speed again  ;)

Offline Altis

Re: My first Dvorak Experience
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:22:49 »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've often considered changing layouts, but haven't for the same reasons most other people haven't.

I think the biggest thing is that I use so many computers all the time that I don't have control over the layout. I suppose it isn't that difficult to change it on the fly... having a Dvorak-specific keyboard would certainly help!

I have enough trouble switching between the HHKB backspace and the regular one  :-X
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:32:59 »
So, after two days of practice i just hit 30 wpm  :D
Ive used Dvorak exclusively at work with a mix of normal work and typing tests. At home i still use qwerty, but i don't feel like thats a problem so much. Now on to the hunt for that 40 wpm  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:34:39 by domsch1988 »

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 04:57:10 »
Great! Do you type in German, English or other language? Dvorak is great for German.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 10:45:47 by PieterGen »

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 10:55:57 »
Great! Do you type in German, English or other language? Dvorak is great for German.
Mainly German. Although in forums like gh its mainly english. So id say 75/25 for German  :thumb:

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 00:02:15 »
Ok, i just thought i had reached a plateau... All weak i was hovering around 30 WPM. I feel like the new layout isn't getting in the way of getting my job done anymore. Im now able to do my daily writing fluently enough to keep up with my work.
I just reached 40 WPM and am rather happy about it  :thumb:
129516-0
It took me a total of 8 days to reach half of my previous speed, but i feel like its not getting easier from now on  :))

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 13:04:02 »
Hm I'm always so tempted to try an alternative keyboard layout, but I need to be able to type to complete my school work so it just doesn't seem feasible :( Congrats on taking the risk and it seems to be going well for you!
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline studentben

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:42:15 »
How much did you end up paying for the Atreus? :o