Author Topic: Loose stabs on SP keycaps? Best replacement stabs?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Sakeb

Loose stabs on SP keycaps? Best replacement stabs?
« on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 14:36:51 »
Hi all - apologies if this has been covered before.
**alert - keyboard noob**
I have a WASD v2 and have just received my first keyset from SP - Jukebox. It looks and feels lovely (although the high profile is taking some getting used to) but I am having a problem with the stabilisers.
The plastic inserts for the costar stabs are so loose they just drop out. It's especially bad on the spacebar (which, as an aside, is not particularly well colour matched). I have used a couple of other keysets on this board and haven't had this problem.
I found this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2jl1dj/help_signature_plastics_stabilizer_mounts_on_dsa/ which addresses the issue in a number of jury rigged ways but I'd like something a bit more permanent than sticky tape or blu tac.
Would/can you recommend:
a) a new set of plastic inserts to go with the Costar stabs in the WASD keyboard that would fit the SA keys?
b) moving to Cherry stabs?
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2016, 14:45:05 by Sakeb »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Loose stabs on SP keycaps? Best replacement stabs?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 14:44:26 »
Neither of your options is possible.

If you take small squares of plastic bag and put between them when you put it together it'll hold better.

Edit: left a word out
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2016, 15:00:18 by SpAmRaY »

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 14:56:51 »
If take small squares of plastic bag and put between them when you put it together it'll hold better.

This is what I do with the SP keycaps that I put on all my boards with Costar stabilizers. Works like a charm.

Offline Sakeb

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 15:14:55 »
If take small squares of plastic bag and put between them when you put it together it'll hold better.

This is what I do with the SP keycaps that I put on all my boards with Costar stabilizers. Works like a charm.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go tonight.
I guess I was just hoping that there would be a better solution for my now ~$300AUD keyboard than a bit of plastic bag.  :rolleyes:
AH WELL
THIS IS THE LIFE I NOW LEAD

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 15:28:21 »
The upside to such a low-tech solution is that it is inexpensive and easy to undo (or redo) as necessary.

Offline Sakeb

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 00:39:15 »
Worked perfectly for the record. Thanks for your assistance guys  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 19:56:29 »
Better to have the keycaps slightly too loose than too tight - it is so much easier to put a little bit of plastic on than to replace a switch when you accidentally rip the stem out because the keycaps are too tight!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SusanSoRandom

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 17:00:04 »
Worked perfectly for the record. Thanks for your assistance guys  :thumb:

So happy I found this post! I was having this very issue on my WASD. Picked up SA Abyss and loved everything about my first SA set except the spacebar was a nightmare to use.

Thanks for the insight!