Author Topic: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS (Complete)  (Read 868296 times)

Offline Atredl

Re: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #1850 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 11:28:16 »
Put together my own M65-A build guide. Hope you enjoy!  ;D

http://imgur.com/a/XpQOS

Offline mattijs

« Reply #1851 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 11:36:33 »

Great build guide with lots of detail, thanks for posting it :)

Offline delivery

« Reply #1852 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 12:40:58 »
Packed with details!

Offline robbles

« Reply #1853 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 13:35:49 »
These pics look great and all but none feature that sweet underglow? Came someone deliver?
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline kitchenace13

« Reply #1854 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 13:46:07 »
Anyone have any tips/recommendations on what I need to do for LEDs? Maybe SIP sockets for now and decide later?  Not sure what everyone else is planning!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1855 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:04:20 »
Anyone have any tips/recommendations on what I need to do for LEDs? Maybe SIP sockets for now and decide later?  Not sure what everyone else is planning!
I plan on installing SIPs on mine eventually. Unless you're doing hotlites, SIPs are the way to go.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #1856 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:06:43 »
Holtites don't fit on this PC iirc.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1857 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:13:59 »
TIL I guess SIPs really are the way to go on this board then.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #1858 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 15:31:24 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:17:31 by Arallu »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #1859 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:12:04 »
Did I miss extras being posted?

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #1860 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:12:41 »
Did I miss extras being posted?

Don't believe so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1861 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:16:35 »
We just have to be patient.  Not only are there people wanting extras of this board, but we still haven't seen extras of the XDA keycaps.  I have a feeling jchan is busy and the website will pop up with all of the extras soon enough. 

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #1862 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:36:42 »
Nice pics everyone! I'm wondering, Mr. Chan, if those of us who opted-out of stabs are getting ours shipped out? I was hoping that by opting-out it would expedite the process, however I haven't seen an update since I started following the shipping progress.

Q: Can I get stabs later?
A: Unfortunately, I'll have to say no. I don't like shipping partial orders. That's a lot of upkeep for me.

Doesn't look like it, I opted out but have some waiting for it already.
Edit: Ah thought you were asking if the stabs were being shipped after, dunno if the m65's are expedited or not.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:39:32 by Rumblehotep »

Offline kimusan

• Mechkeys Tech
    • Mechkeys Tech
« Reply #1863 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:00:59 »
So what are the chances of getting my hands on one of these amazing keebs?

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #1864 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:11:46 »
So what are the chances of getting my hands on one of these amazing keebs?

If you read the op, you will know those chances.

Offline kimusan

• Mechkeys Tech
    • Mechkeys Tech
« Reply #1865 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:13:39 »
might just be me but I did not see anything mentioning this in the OP :-S

Edit: nevermind. See it now (completely overlooked it at first).
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:29:04 by kimusan »

Offline evrydayzawrkday

« Reply #1866 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 09:56:53 »

I love the guide.. and it even reminded me to screw in the sides (which took away my tiny wobble problem with the steel base).

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #1867 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 13:32:29 »
Hey jchan, could you add a “more” button for all/all but a few of the pics in the first post when you get a chance? No rush. It eats all the datas everytime I check the first page for shipping updates. Don’t see an option tohide them, someone correct me if I am doing it wrong please!

« Reply #1868 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 14:17:23 »
Hey jchan, could you add a “more” button for all/all but a few of the pics in the first post when you get a chance? No rush. It eats all the datas everytime I check the first page for shipping updates. Don’t see an option tohide them, someone correct me if I am doing it wrong please!

Would be nice to hide them for more efficient F5'ing to check for shipping updates.

Offline KINGPIN

« Reply #1869 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 15:12:06 »
I am being slightly upset because I filled the no stab form buy my keeb still haven't been shipped yet, I may as well not fill the form if that's what happend
Levia Makes

Offline Atredl

[GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #1870 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 16:08:56 »

I love the guide.. and it even reminded me to screw in the sides (which took away my tiny wobble problem with the steel base).
Glad I could help  :)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #1871 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 16:53:15 »
Just send an email to jchan's support email.

I finally had a chance to open the box and I noticed I am missing the PCB as well.

I look everywhere, took out the foam piece, and it is not there.

Hopefully jchan can resolve this problem for me.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #1872 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 19:23:27 »
So I got the QMK PCB, and I've been making good progress with the programming.. but a few of my RGBs won't cooperate. Sometimes they join the others in color and mode, other times they just get stuck on a color. Anyone have this problem or know of a solution?

edit: So I'm now seeing that if I play with hue or value while the color is stuck, it doesn't do anything. But if I mess with saturation, they will sometimes sync up with the rest.

Also note, if the colors are syncing when I toggle the RGB off, the stuck ones don't go off either.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 19:28:52 by imprevade »

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #1873 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 10:20:05 »
I really wish I didn't need those damn stabs.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #1874 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 10:33:46 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:16:45 by Arallu »

Offline imprevade

« Reply #1875 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 13:56:33 »
Worth the wait.

175715-0

175717-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 14:21:20 by imprevade »

Offline yokken

« Reply #1876 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 14:22:39 »
Wow, that is stunning. Excellent work.

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #1877 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 15:13:21 »
Worth the wait.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Beautiful! 
Do you think there is enough room/screw thread to add a small washer between the plate/case mount point so that the keycaps sit slightly below level to the case top?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1878 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 15:53:59 »
Worth the wait.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Beautiful! 
Do you think there is enough room/screw thread to add a small washer between the plate/case mount point so that the keycaps sit slightly below level to the case top?

That's a good idea but I'm pretty sure that you would have to have a significantly thick washer and then the bottom section would not meet up with the top.  I really prefer to have the keycaps below the top of the case (one of the reasons I like the Fjell so much), but this design was chosen purposefully, and still looks nice.   I'm guessing people like this look so that they can see the switch housings?  Especially when they are clear and have leds

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #1879 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 17:59:36 »
Worth the wait.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Beautiful! 

That's a good idea but I'm pretty sure that you would have to have a significantly thick washer and then the bottom section would not meet up with the top.  I really prefer to have the keycaps below the top of the case (one of the reasons I like the Fjell so much), but this design was chosen purposefully, and still looks nice.   I'm guessing people like this look so that they can see the switch housings?  Especially when they are clear and have leds

Good point, it's hard to tell how big the gap is from pictures, will take a look once stabs arrive and mine ships out :)

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #1880 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 21:02:38 »
Worth the wait.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Beautiful! 

Finally. I'm not the only one. You probably could slightly lower the plate/pcb with washers but then I imagine the usb port will not line up properly with the hole anymore.

It looks as though the bottom of keycaps may indeed sit flush with the top surface of the case but it's that inner chamfer causing that gap. For me personally the idea of a solid thick case looks so good with absolutely no gap from the bottom of keycaps to the top of the case. The complete opposite of 'floating' design would be nice. Oh well. (that was all just my silly opinion)
Still love everything else about this!.

Btw jchan, I love waiting. You can ship mine last!

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #1881 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 21:56:50 »
anybody else running into any issues with the PCB?
My arrow key cluster appears to be dead. I checked to make sure I didn't bridge any other contacts (I've also assembled at least 15-20 other keyboards before, so I'm pretty sure its not sloppy work on my end.)

I hope its not a bad PCB. Ideas of things to try? Every other key is recognized in the bootmapper client. It just the arrow cluster.

Offline delivery

« Reply #1882 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 22:09:47 »
My arrow key cluster appears to be dead. I checked to make sure I didn't bridge any other contacts (I've also assembled at least 15-20 other keyboards before, so I'm pretty sure its not sloppy work on my end.)

I hope its not a bad PCB. Ideas of things to try? Every other key is recognized in the bootmapper client. It just the arrow cluster.
Arrows not functioning outside of bootmapper as well or just witin bootmapper?

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #1883 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 22:18:40 »

arrow keys are not working at all. up arrow is working, but left, right, down are not.
pressing those keys in bootmapper is like no keys are pressed. nothing is recognized by the application.

Offline delivery

« Reply #1884 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 22:36:56 »

arrow keys are not working at all. up arrow is working, but left, right, down are not.
pressing those keys in bootmapper is like no keys are pressed. nothing is recognized by the application.
I used to have those problems in bootmapper, only up arrow is working and some other keys wont recognized at all,  so i reset it to default, and never tried reprogramming them again.

If you found out how to fix, plz share!

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #1885 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 22:41:51 »

I used to have those problems in bootmapper, only up arrow is working and some other keys wont recognized at all,  so i reset it to default, and never tried reprogramming them again.

I got it working!

In case anyone else runs into this issue in the future...
I noticed the diodes near those keys did not have as much solder on them as all the other keys.
CAREFULLY adding a little bit more solder to the pads, and making sure everything was connected resolved the issue.

Beautiful board. Thanks Rama and Jchan for making this a reality.

Offline drgonzo

« Reply #1886 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 05:14:23 »
Did anyone try to modify the existing underlight modes yet? I'd like to tie certain colours to various key presses. The only reference I found so far was the backlighting matrix for the infinity60.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #1887 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 05:36:00 »
Worth the wait.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ugh, looking so good. Can't wait for my champagne to come rolling through :-* :-*

Offline frobrox

« Reply #1888 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 08:26:44 »
I opted for the QMK version, even though I've never used it before, and I'm having some troubles with setting up the build environment.
It keeps failing when adding the driver Microsoft PnP Utility saying: Adding the driver package failed : Invalid INF passed as parameter.

Anything I can or should do about this?

Offline yokken

« Reply #1889 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 10:04:06 »
I opted for the QMK version, even though I've never used it before, and I'm having some troubles with setting up the build environment.
It keeps failing when adding the driver Microsoft PnP Utility saying: Adding the driver package failed : Invalid INF passed as parameter.

Well, the INF file is part of the driver. I would try re-downloading it (possible it became corrupted) or try to let Windows decide which driver it wants to use, without you specifying the files/folders with the drivers. Short of that... I would try removing the device through Device Manager, then plug it into a different USB port. Then try the re-downloaded drivers. Any problems beyond this would require more troubleshooting that is tough to do on a forum, but you might as well give it a shot!

Offline kolashnikov

by
« Reply #1890 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 12:56:26 »

Setting up the build environment? As in, you intend to modify and/or build the firmware from source? Does the PCB not come with a default map already flashed?

I have personally been frustrated with Windows as a development environment so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd set up the build environment in Linux if that's what you're trying to do. You could install Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and work off of that.

Offline fine_italian_leather

Re: by
« Reply #1891 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 13:12:56 »
You could install Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and work off of that.

Or use virtualbox.

Offline drgonzo

« Reply #1892 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 13:45:30 »
Or install the Linux subsystem for windows.

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #1893 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 17:31:10 »

Setting up the build environment? As in, you intend to modify and/or build the firmware from source? Does the PCB not come with a default map already flashed?

I have personally been frustrated with Windows as a development environment so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd set up the build environment in Linux if that's what you're trying to do. You could install Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and work off of that.

If you have Win 10 this seems to work pretty well (lxrun /install bash or the Ubuntu app if you are on insider build): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide

Offline frobrox

« Reply #1894 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 19:05:49 »

It had worked the first night I had built, with it already being preflashed. And then the next morning, I went to go use it, and no keystroke registered. All I had done in the interim was weigh it on a kitchen scale.

So right now I'm just trying to get it reflashed and working. I had flashed it with a set up TADA 68 hex, but that only has Esc, 1-9 working correctly, and the QWERTY row is all off one key.

I'll see if using a VM will help. Otherwise, I've got an expensive paperweight on my hands.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1895 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 20:33:04 »

It had worked the first night I had built, with it already being preflashed. And then the next morning, I went to go use it, and no keystroke registered. All I had done in the interim was weigh it on a kitchen scale.

So right now I'm just trying to get it reflashed and working. I had flashed it with a set up TADA 68 hex, but that only has Esc, 1-9 working correctly, and the QWERTY row is all off one key.

I'll see if using a VM will help. Otherwise, I've got an expensive paperweight on my hands.

Do you mean you actually flashed it with a Hex generated by the TADA online keymapper (or generated using QMK's TADA68 repository)? Because I don't think the two PCBs are compatible in terms of row and column layout
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #1896 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 22:38:54 »
Finishing up the customs clearance. It should be here Monday  :thumb:

Hey Jchan, so if one opted out of stabs for quicker shipping, and stabs are there tomorrow but order hasn't shipped yet, will one be receiving stabs?

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #1897 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 23:16:21 »
i made the mistake of not having a keycap set on hand...
cant use it at all :(

Offline frobrox

« Reply #1898 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 08:28:45 »

Do you mean you actually flashed it with a Hex generated by the TADA online keymapper (or generated using QMK's TADA68 repository)? Because I don't think the two PCBs are compatible in terms of row and column layout

Oh, I definitely realized that after I flashed it. I guess I've gotta just keep at it, or see if there's anyone out there with the same layout of M65-A, and see if I can get their hex file.

Offline lordzebu

« Reply #1899 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 08:43:53 »

Oh, I definitely realized that after I flashed it. I guess I've gotta just keep at it, or see if there's anyone out there with the same layout of M65-A, and see if I can get their hex file.

I followed these instructions to set up the build environment on win 10 and had no problems at all. In the jc65 repository you'll find 2 ready to use keymaps. From there you can compile the hex file for flashing using either one or make your own keymap. This one here helped as well.