Author Topic: [PO] R5 Zealios / Zealencios / Transparent Screw-in Stabs / Zeal60 Rev2  (Read 101363 times)

Offline johnthedong

Re: [PO] R5 Zealios / Zealencios / Transparent Screw-in Stabs / Zeal60 Rev2
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:26:08 »
What lube do you recommend for zeal stabs and switches?  Should I use the same for both stabs and switches or different for each?
I'd like to know this, too.
Just for stabs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I personally use thin Krytox for switches and thicker krytox mixes for the stabs as per the recommendations online

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 16:12:42 »
What lube do you recommend for zeal stabs and switches?  Should I use the same for both stabs and switches or different for each?
Just for stabs.

I personally use thin Krytox for switches and thicker krytox mixes for the stabs as per the recommendations online
I have some Mechlube 2 from elite keyboards. Would that be ok?

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 16:52:46 »
Got my order #7698 with stabilizers. Put the authentic Cherry stabilizers in, and my board is finally not a rattly mess. Thank you, Zeal!!

Offline lzrdwzrd

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:58:39 »

I just got done lubing my new switches with the thick formula Krytox Switch Lubricant from techkeys. They feel fantastic, it lowers the sound profile a bit and makes them so smooth. You do lose the slightest amount of snap in the bump (on 67g switches anyway). I would recommend only lubing the side rails and springs a bit.

I found the EK Mechlube 2 too be a little bit too thick and really changes the feel too much for me. This would be better on stabs.
SteelSeriesLeopoldZowie
6gV2 (mx black)FC660C/EGFK1

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 23:28:50 »
Just for stabs.

I use the GH V4 Thick lube on switches, stabs and springs. Works great all around. :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline flipanda

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 18:55:27 »
My wallet hurts now.

From just a look at these switches I've since

• ordered a winkeyless b.face x2 and acrylic case
  • orderd these switches in 78g
  • ordered keycaps from aliexpress and also browsing the classifieds here and on /r/mechmarket

$200 for the pcb and case and some holtites, $90 for switches and stabs, $40 and counting for keycaps.

And all I was going to do was order a pok3r with mx clears, white backlit and white case. But nope, out of stock. Oh well.

Offline Sythe

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 22:16:15 »
So my order is switches+lube. Can I expect them to be shipped today/tomorrow?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 10:54:17 »
So my order is switches+lube. Can I expect them to be shipped today/tomorrow?

You can expect your order to ship out tomorrow, as we have to pack the remaining orders first once lube arrives today.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 11:09:45 »
My wallet hurts now.

• ordered keycaps from aliexpress and also browsing the classifieds here and on /r/mechmarket

$200 for the pcb and case and some holtites, $90 for switches and stabs, $40 and counting for keycaps.

And all I was going to do was order a pok3r with mx clears, white backlit and white case. But nope, out of stock. Oh well.
Welcome to the amazingly expensive world of keyboards.

Offline lzrdwzrd

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 14:57:34 »
My wallet hurts now.

Ordered the same case for my 67g switches  :thumb:

Was going to go with GoN but he never answered any of my emails.

Also grabbed those pixelated galaxy keycaps from massdrop
SteelSeriesLeopoldZowie
6gV2 (mx black)FC660C/EGFK1

Offline flipanda

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 18:36:45 »
My wallet hurts now.

Welcome to the amazingly expensive world of keyboards.

When I think about it, after having spent so much money on building my pc and other things like 144hz monitors and stuff, a $300+ keyboard that I have to have in order to use my pc is not too bad.

My wallet hurts now.

Ordered the same case for my 67g switches  :thumb:

Was going to go with GoN but he never answered any of my emails.

Also grabbed those pixelated galaxy keycaps from massdrop

I was looking at GoN Nerd60 but after reading about some of the stories regarding that, I decided not to. I think as far as keysets is going, that GB for the GMK Adventure Night over on originative seems right up my ally.

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 08:01:12 »

I was looking at GoN Nerd60 but after reading about some of the stories regarding that, I decided not to. I think as far as keysets is going, that GB for the GMK Adventure Night over on originative seems right up my ally.

I picked up two GoN Nerd60 PCBs through LeandreN/Mekanisk's most recent group buy, and the PCBs are great. I converted one to QMK, and am loving the programmability. If you're interested in one of the Nerd60 PCBs, definitely keep an eye out for LeandreN's next group buy - it's a solid route to go.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 11:14:55 »
Just wondering how long would it take for my stab order that I placed yesterday to ship, thanks again!  :D

Offline flipanda

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:49:26 »
Just wondering how long would it take for my stab order that I placed yesterday to ship, thanks again!  :D

just to give you a rough idea on how fast this was (which blew my mind)

I placed my order on 4/10 and received it today 4/12. this was to the southwest united states.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 15:29:10 »

just to give you a rough idea on how fast this was (which blew my mind)

I placed my order on 4/10 and received it today 4/12. this was to the southwest united states.

Sounds great - did you get a shipping notification? That's awesome!

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 00:33:18 »
How do people figure out what kind of Zealios they like? I kind of want to try them but it's hard to take a leap and do a whole keyboard in them :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 00:51:21 »
Hi Zeal,

I thought you are sending out the packages on Wednesday and Thursday?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 01:25:53 »
How do people figure out what kind of Zealios they like? I kind of want to try them but it's hard to take a leap and do a whole keyboard in them :(

65g/67g are always safe bets. Most popular weights as well. 78g if you're a bit heavier handed, and want something lighter than MX Clears.

Hi Zeal,

I've been shipping orders out daily. All non-PCB GB orders should already be out/printed now. Received Zeal60 PCBs today, currently flashing & testing every single one, then will work on packing them out.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 01:27:28 by Zeal »

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 01:30:44 »
That's exciting news about the PCBs! Put my preorder in Feb 1st, and I'm super excited that the day is getting closer and closer. Thanks for the hard work on this, Zeal!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 02:47:49 »

65g/67g are always safe bets. Most popular weights as well. 78g if you're a bit heavier handed, and want something lighter than MX Clears.

Hi Zeal,

I've been shipping orders out daily. All non-PCB GB orders should already be out/printed now. Received Zeal60 PCBs today, currently flashing & testing every single one, then will work on packing them out.

Yay super excited for the package, when will R6 starts? Need some more switches and holtites for up comming The Moon

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:54:08 »
Ok, I am leaning toward jumping on the 67g. I am a fan of brown and wouldn't mind slightly more tactility. I also like the sound of increasing resistance as you get closer to bottoming out.

Are the 2x3x4 "Fast" RGB LEDs you sell compatible with the Zealios? And do you think I should order the R5s or are the issues people are talking about with keycaps pulling it through something a first time keyboard builder (and solderer) should avoid and maybe wait for R6?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:02:03 »
Ok, I am leaning toward jumping on the 67g. I am a fan of brown and wouldn't mind slightly more tactility. I also like the sound of increasing resistance as you get closer to bottoming out.

Are the 2x3x4 "Fast" RGB LEDs you sell compatible with the Zealios? And do you think I should order the R5s or are the issues people are talking about with keycaps pulling it through something a first time keyboard builder (and solderer) should avoid and maybe wait for R6?

Auto changing RGB LEDs are a bit more picky and may not be compatible with all PCBs. They work with Zealios no problem, as they're just like all other 2 pin LEDs. You won't be able to select the colours and they'll just flash a preset cycle every time.
There haven't been any changes to the Zealio switch since R4, it's been refined to my satisfaction now. So not sure what issues you're referring to. If you're a first time builder/solderer though, I would recommend the 65g plate mount variant as the bottom is more resistant to heat to prevent overheating.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 14:12:43 »

Auto changing RGB LEDs are a bit more picky and may not be compatible with all PCBs. They work with Zealios no problem, as they're just like all other 2 pin LEDs. You won't be able to select the colours and they'll just flash a preset cycle every time.
There haven't been any changes to the Zealio switch since R4, it's been refined to my satisfaction now. So not sure what issues you're referring to. If you're a first time builder/solderer though, I would recommend the 65g plate mount variant as the bottom is more resistant to heat to prevent overheating.

I see. Well, the only reason I want RGB is because I'm after a particular shade of green. I definitely don't want rainbow LEDs :p Is color selection possible?

I will most likely be making them on a RAMA PCB if that is of any info.

And the issue I'm talking about was being discussed here, I know nothing more than what I read on this page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84248.850
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 14:15:33 by TelFiRE »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:08:10 »

I see. Well, the only reason I want RGB is because I'm after a particular shade of green. I definitely don't want rainbow LEDs :p Is color selection possible?

I will most likely be making them on a RAMA PCB if that is of any info.

And the issue I'm talking about was being discussed here, I know nothing more than what I read on this page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84248.850

Currently, the only aftermarket PCB that can let you choose any shade of color is the Zeal60 RGB PCB on our site. All other PCBs are single color only and are limited by LED color.

Those posts are referring to the stabilizer wire sometimes popping out when keycaps are pulled from stabilized keys. There's an easy fix to reduce the tightness of the stabilizers, and that's to squeeze the horizontal stem on the insert with pliers once or twice, each side. We're currently working with the manufacturer to address the tightness.

Offline TelFiRE

[PO] R5 Zealios / Zealencios / Transparent Screw-in Stabs / Zeal60 Rev2
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:29:01 »
Oh wow. That boggles my mind. Guess I won't be building a keyboard after all (at least until someone comes out with a TKL PCB that does color selection). Thank you for the info, appreciate it!

Edit: I've just been informed that diffusers don't require the PCB to have key RGB support. Plus, someone pointed out the Zeal65 you've teased which looks pretty dope! So I think I'm on the hook for the project after all haha. I would love a Zeal75 or Zeal TKL :p

Edit2: Just found and bought a Zealios tester from https://www.novelkeys.xyz so I can try them out and be a little more sure!

Edit3: you make some really sexy PCBs btw :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 03:56:20 by TelFiRE »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 11:25:50 »
Out of curiosity, is there any pics that show how the light looks passing through the clear zealio versus a frosted bottom zealio?

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 03:48:28 »
Happy Easter Zeal

Hope you will send out orders with Zeal60 by this week!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 18:30:44 »
Out of curiosity, is there any pics that show how the light looks passing through the clear zealio versus a frosted bottom zealio?

Not quite the same, but similar (for frosted switch): https://imgur.com/a/e9akf
For pics of regular Zealios on the Zeal60, they're posted on the listing.

Happy Easter Zeal

About that...Unfortunately there's some bad news with regards to Zeal60 order fulfillment time.

Spent my whole Easter break flashing/inspecting/QCing each Zeal60. A large majority of Zeal60 orders had to be put aside due to them failing my personal "QC" standards. They are all fully functional boards and nothing is wrong electronically, but many didn't meet my aesthetics QC (ie: any PCB with a visible scratch on the surface will fail). This was a surprise for me because the first round was spotless. Not sure what happened the second time around during handling. They were all packed the same, so it wasn't shipping damage. I have contacted the fab and have asked them to remake all the boards that had any aesthetic defects. The Zeal60 is a premium board and the quality, design & aesthetics should reflect it. I will send out as many boards as I can that meet my criteria, but the majority of participants will have to wait a bit while we resolve this issue with the PCB fab. Apologies for the delay.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 21:46:10 »
I know I speak for myself here... but no worries from me on the Zeal60's. Thanks for doing such stringent QC on the boards. Appreciate the commitment to quality!

Besides, I ordered Feb 1st. What's a few more weeks in the grand scheme?

Offline Robotical

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 07:24:11 »

Not quite the same, but similar (for frosted switch): https://imgur.com/a/e9akf
For pics of regular Zealios on the Zeal60, they're posted on the listing.

Happy Easter Zeal

About that...Unfortunately there's some bad news with regards to Zeal60 order fulfillment time.

Spent my whole Easter break flashing/inspecting/QCing each Zeal60. A large majority of Zeal60 orders had to be put aside due to them failing my personal "QC" standards. They are all fully functional boards and nothing is wrong electronically, but many didn't meet my aesthetics QC (ie: any PCB with a visible scratch on the surface will fail). This was a surprise for me because the first round was spotless. Not sure what happened the second time around during handling. They were all packed the same, so it wasn't shipping damage. I have contacted the fab and have asked them to remake all the boards that had any aesthetic defects. The Zeal60 is a premium board and the quality, design & aesthetics should reflect it. I will send out as many boards as I can that meet my criteria, but the majority of participants will have to wait a bit while we resolve this issue with the PCB fab. Apologies for the delay.

I'm glad that you want it to meet your quality standards instead of just shipping them out. Makes me excited to receive my PCB. I am going to PM you though with questions regarding my order.

[Edit] Thanks Zeal for taking care of me so quickly!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:21:33 by Robotical »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 11:22:54 »
Is it possible to add on to our orders if they haven't shipped yet?

I'm regretting not picking up a 7u stab with my 6.25u stab :(
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 01:55:35 »

Send me an email with what you want added and I can send over a custom cart link. :)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 07:51:36 »

Send me an email with what you want added and I can send over a custom cart link. :)

yay

email sent :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 April 2017, 07:55:44 by Skuloth »
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:13:49 »
Just got my pre-order in for some Zealios switches. I got a switch tester and I really like the feel of 65g. I think I'm going to love it!

Any chance the Zeal 65 or a TKL or 75 is anywhere near being available?

Offline shortsyoungster

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 21:24:01 »
Any idea when R6 will start, really interested in 62g?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 22:18:43 »
R6 will start around May or so. Need to finalize some details first.

Zeal65 pcb & kit may be pushed back to end of May/early June.

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 00:28:56 »

Zeal65 pcb & kit may be pushed back to end of May/early June.

Hope its so you can send me a prototype =)

Offline dohmain

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:44:13 »

Does this not apply for the Massdrop units?
I just received my PCB from Massdrop and I'm seeing some minor scratches and discolorations in the soldermask.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be bothered with it if I didn't see your post. It got me all excited to get a pristine PCB, but now I'm just a little sad.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:58:09 »

I just received my PCB from Massdrop and I'm seeing some minor scratches and discolorations in the soldermask.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be bothered with it if I didn't see your post. It got me all excited to get a pristine PCB, but now I'm just a little sad.

Massdrop PCBs were also checked for scratches. There shouldn't be any major scratches, unless I had accidentally missed it during hand review. :(
If by discoloration, you mean by a bit of extra purple "rings" surrounding the holes, those are unfortunately part of all PCBs and will happen during the soldermask & drying process. 

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 07:18:20 »
I placed order #7935 for PCB, Zealios, zealstabs and some hot swap sockets.

When do you think it will get shipped?

Offline dohmain

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:46:38 »

Massdrop PCBs were also checked for scratches. There shouldn't be any major scratches, unless I had accidentally missed it during hand review. :(
If by discoloration, you mean by a bit of extra purple "rings" surrounding the holes, those are unfortunately part of all PCBs and will happen during the soldermask & drying process.

PM'd

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:14:35 »
I placed order #7935 for PCB, Zealios, zealstabs and some hot swap sockets.

When do you think it will get shipped?

Currently waiting to hear back from the PCB fab regarding replacement timeline. The LEDs used with the Zeal60s are custom produced as well, so will have to coordinate the two pieces simultaneously. Realistically, I'm expecting the replacements to arrive by late May or early June. Will update everyone with any new updates as I receive them.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:17:33 »
Hey noticed you said you'd send out all of the ones that passed inspection. Just wondering if all of those have been sent out already. Keeping hope alive for order #6825.

Offline eldonw

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:34:51 »
Any chance those PCBs that didn't pass your QC will be sold as B Stock?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:37:58 »

No.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:38:51 »
Hey noticed you said you'd send out all of the ones that passed inspection. Just wondering if all of those have been sent out already. Keeping hope alive for order #6825.
Unfortunately not many went out. Will be waiting on the replacement batch.

No, we don't sell any b-stock products on our site.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 00:39:54 »
So all orders with zeal60 will be ship out around late May or early June? :'(

Offline CYFX

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 13:04:39 »
Hey, I ordered some Zealio R5 78g under order 7936. I was wondering if you might have an idea of when these might ship out?

Thank you

CYFX

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:48:08 »
Hey, I ordered some Zealio R5 78g under order 7936. I was wondering if you might have an idea of when these might ship out?

Thank you

CYFX

You can expect a shipping notification over the weekend. We're catching up on fulfilling the orders while we received during our short business trip.

Offline CYFX

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:45:50 »
Nice! Thank you very much for the update. Im excited to hear that they will be shipped out that soon. Now hopefully my Planck Will be here by then  ;D