Author Topic: [IC] Resin Casted 60% cases  (Read 20787 times)

Offline busgamer7394

[IC] Resin Casted 60% cases
« on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:22:46 »
Currently waiting on Feng to see if he will allow me to use this design.

If anyone here designed a case they would want to make resin versions of, let me know.
If you guys want to see more of my work, check my post history on reddit /u/busgamer7394

162301-0162303-1

162798-2162800-3
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 March 2017, 23:35:26 by busgamer7394 »

Offline badchad

Re: [IC] Resin Casted 60% cases
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:26:25 »
This is awesome Juan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:26:50 »
This is quite awesome.

Are screws threading without a problem? That'd be my biggest worry.

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:32:10 »
This is quite awesome.

Are screws threading without a problem? That'd be my biggest worry.

Yeah, if I ever ran a group buy I would get a bigger pressure pot so that the silicon will go all the way into the screw holes. Right now only shorter screws work. I am also not sure how long they will last of the plate is removed often. If I get permition to use the design I will cast a couple more and try other mounts.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:41:38 »
Damn, this looks great.

Offline unoab

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:46:23 »
Yeah, if I ever ran a group buy I would get a bigger pressure pot so that the silicon will go all the way into the screw holes. Right now only shorter screws work. I am also not sure how long they will last of the plate is removed often. If I get permition to use the design I will cast a couple more and try other mounts.

Why not fill them on the master and then drill and tap them afterwards?  Or put screws into the posts (unscrewed about 1/4" or so) when making the master and then put brass inserts onto them so they cast into the resin?  Or make the screw holes large enough to fit the brass inserts in and then just secure them with epoxy afterwards?

I think there are a few different ways to approach this problem, the inserts would make for the most secure and durable mount on opaque and dark resins, on clear resins the lack of a brass blob of metal in the cast may be more appealing so drill and tap might be a better option.

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:51:28 »

Why not fill them on the master and then drill and tap them afterwards?  Or put screws into the posts (unscrewed about 1/4" or so) when making the master and then put brass inserts onto them so they cast into the resin?  Or make the screw holes large enough to fit the brass inserts in and then just secure them with epoxy afterwards?

I think there are a few different ways to approach this problem, the inserts would make for the most secure and durable mount on opaque and dark resins, on clear resins the lack of a brass blob of metal in the cast may be more appealing so drill and tap might be a better option.

I think having the treading go down as much as possible would help with drilling. Brass inserts sounds good, I really want to add on in the middle since this case doesn't have any there.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:05:21 »
wow.. looks sharp  :thumb:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline unoab

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:17:02 »
I think having the treading go down as much as possible would help with drilling. Brass inserts sounds good, I really want to add on in the middle since this case doesn't have any there.

True, and I guess the drilling and tapping can be used to clean up any imperfections in the thread holes after casting anyways (and to make sure they are dimensionally correct as well).

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:05:18 »
Currently waiting on Feng to see if he will allow me to use this design.

If anyone here designed a case they would want to make resin versions of, let me know.
If you guys want to see more of my work, check my post history on reddit /u/busgamer7394

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

This is great innovation for the hobby lifestyle, man! I hope he gives you permission. Any Idea on round about prices?

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:30:18 »
Sounds good and should get pretty cheap in the end, right?

I think Jellykey is attempting something similar

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:57:21 »
This should be super dampening, I imagine.  Quite an interesting concept!  Are the sides of the case quite flexible or on the firm side?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:16:59 »
Seems pretty cool. Might be good with a b.face.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:26:43 »
Sounds good and should get pretty cheap in the end, right?

I think Jellykey is attempting something similar

I set the prices of my last sale at half of what jellykey charges, so yeah they will be affordable :-)

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:50:13 »
This should be super dampening, I imagine.  Quite an interesting concept!  Are the sides of the case quite flexible or on the firm side?

They felt flimsy the first day but have since hardened.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 15:09:56 »
interested for sure

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 16:06:30 »

These inserts are typically called heat-sets as they are inserted with heat. I've used them on plastic, they are common when 3D printing. You make a slightly small hole, put the heatset on the tip of a soldering iron(at it's lowest setting) and it will melt nicely into the plastic and the barbs or knurls on the insert will grab. Example: https://i.imgur.com/0ZvUKRI.jpg

I think that would be the best way to go for longevity but I have no idea how well those work with resin.

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 17:43:21 »
Make a HHKB style case and I'll buy for sure! ;D

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 18:11:54 »

need to buy one first

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 18:24:50 »
whoa, nice! please let us know if you ever do a 2-piece HHKB case :O i'd love a sparkly space case, or maybe something pink/purple.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 18:33:36 »
This is pretty dope. These resin cast cases could get pretty interesting!

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:20:25 »
I would be very interested in this. I think that if you could have the inserts as those brass pieces that are just friction fit in the holes would be nice. This would allow for some pretty cool and unique designs.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:40:06 »
Very impressive! Would love to play around with one in person

Offline gaiden

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:56:06 »
Very interested! What would be the ballpark price these and will there be different color?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:28:08 »
Would this type of case be durable? I'm worried resin might be brittle
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Tally810

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 01:23:17 »
Is this real life? I want one...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 01:32:30 »
i think this is cool and all but durability would definitely be an issue as resin is very brittle. Maybe adding a lot of metal powder would help?
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 01:55:58 »
i think this is cool and all but durability would definitely be an issue as resin is very brittle. Maybe adding a lot of metal powder would help?

Metal powder would not enhance durability.  If anything, it would probably make things worse.  And resins are highly variable in durability.  Some are very brittle, some are much more durable.

Offline Trente

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 02:34:03 »
OMG this is something I always hope someone can do and it seems here it some. But another similar thing I was expecting is if someone will make a kit with metal bottom case a resin top face plate.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 06:11:32 »
Stellar idea. Can't wait to see how this evolves. +1 for the hhkb case

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 07:14:39 »
Want so bad

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 07:58:37 »
Very interested! What would be the ballpark price these and will there be different color?

Can definitely make them in a bunch of diffrent colors and styles, could even make it in layers using diffrent colors.

For price i'm not sure. Thinking about 80-120 depending on how many people would like one and in what style.

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:00:16 »

Really depends on the resin. The clear one I use is more likely to bend under heavy loads than break/crack. I know the spacebars I make from it are insanely hard to break in half.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:05:37 »

Can definitely make them in a bunch of diffrent colors and styles, could even make it in layers using diffrent colors.

For price i'm not sure. Thinking about 80-120 depending on how many people would like one and in what style.
Hopefully within $100.. But that prototype looks awesome already! Was thinking if something like a purple, blue, orange, green can be made that would be great too. Really dig the glitters! It really looks perfect the way the prototype is now

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:25:05 »

Hopefully within $100.. But that prototype looks awesome already! Was thinking if something like a purple, blue, orange, green can be made that would be great too. Really dig the glitters! It really looks perfect the way the prototype is now

https://goo.gl/photos/n1VBEuJQHxuLtPZD9

These are some of the caps I have made. I would be able to make the cases in these styles, and a bunch of others.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:02:50 »

https://goo.gl/photos/n1VBEuJQHxuLtPZD9

These are some of the caps I have made. I would be able to make the cases in these styles, and a bunch of others.

saw your caps on reddit, those are works of art. but now that i looked around i think this black translucent case is just about as perfect as i could have asked for.  :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:09:49 »

need to buy one first

I feel like this really could be a GREAT option for you. There are no HHKB cases on the market at this time. I know that I would for sure be in for one.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:26:49 »
These cases look pretty damn good! For the screw holes I would highly suggest making the holes large enough to accommodate standard threaded inserts, then once the case is casted, you can simply epoxy the inserts in place, it will for sure hold more securely than tapping directly into the resin (I wouldn't recommend that at all, unless you're only gonna use nylon screws or something, I can't imagine the resin holding the thread for very long if you use actual machine screws)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline cribbit

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:32:49 »
Would love to hear how the process turns out. I think you'll definitely find the brass fittings as your best bet for the screws.

If you're not moving it much resin should be fine for a case.

Would love to see some of the crazier things this lets you do - inlaid fiber optics for funky underglow, setting things in the resin, etc.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 18:37:21 »
Would love to hear how the process turns out. I think you'll definitely find the brass fittings as your best bet for the screws.

If you're not moving it much resin should be fine for a case.

Would love to see some of the crazier things this lets you do - inlaid fiber optics for funky underglow, setting things in the resin, etc.

Hadn't even thought of inlaid fiber optics. That'd be *really* cool  :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 19:19:34 »
I bought a ton of standoffs for a 3D print case I was planning. IF you are interested in trying those let me know and I can send them to you? You could epoxy or glue them in the bottom then screw the PCB to them. It may take some modification of each case.

Anyway.. if you are interested in trying them, PM me and I will send them to you. I have probably 30-50ish. 

Offline robbles

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 11:51:33 »
I'm definitely in for an HHKB2 case and a HHKB style MX compatible case. :thumb:
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:00:04 »
Oh damn, these are cool.  Also gives me hope as it's something that I planned on tryin to pull off at some point.  Funny, first the Jelly ones come out, and then these.  Seems like it's really hard these days to have and "original" idea when the internet is there to connect everyone and give them ideas.  As of last month, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to try such a large scale cast but clearly I've been proven wrong haha.

Love to see what you come up with, your caps are always quite amazing.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:08:12 »
Ooooh, Red with Black sparkles for me please!  (Or Purple with black sparkles). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline cribbit

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:11:07 »

As long as there's sparkles
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:19:37 »

As long as there's sparkles

Pretty much.

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 23:02:04 »
Hey, man. I shipped those stand-off/extenders. I sent them cheap so I didn't do tracking. I am in Oklahoma so usually everything ships pretty quick. I would expect them Tuesday or Wednesday.

Offline busgamer7394

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:09:37 »
Hey, man. I shipped those stand-off/extenders. I sent them cheap so I didn't do tracking. I am in Oklahoma so usually everything ships pretty quick. I would expect them Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks I actually just made another case

162585-0

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:14:57 »

(Attachment Link)

That looks great! How heavy are they?

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:25:11 »

(Attachment Link)