Author Topic: Google Project Fi  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Tactile

Google Project Fi
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 00:35:31 »
I just signed up for Project Fi. Is anyone here using it? Does anyone have any tips or experience stories?
REΛLFORCE

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Google Project Fi
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 00:45:52 »
Interesting. Google is starting its take over.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 00:49:17 »
I've been on Fi for around 4 months now, It's okay, same dead spots as most carriers, but alas it's actually quite great (I'm in the Bay Area so our coverage for any provider is nice), internet is decently fast, but it really depends on how much data you use, if you use over 2gb of data there's better options.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 00:59:29 »
when i visited america earlier this year, i saw ads from a couple of providers offering unlimited data. this price of data with Fi looks pretty expensive if you want a decent amount. i'm paying $21 AUD/m for 10gb, in comparison

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:06:33 »
Can you only use Google's phones with this?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:07:38 »
The data price is what caught my attention. I use very little mobile data. In fact looking over my billing history I see I've used zero for the last three months but, of course, I was paying for it every month. I like the idea of not paying for it unless I use it. And I'm intrigued by the switching between carriers and WiFi, too. I just want to see what this is like.
REΛLFORCE

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:32:42 »
The data price is what caught my attention. I use very little mobile data. In fact looking over my billing history I see I've used zero for the last three months but, of course, I was paying for it every month. I like the idea of not paying for it unless I use it. And I'm intrigued by the switching between carriers and WiFi, too. I just want to see what this is like.

I didn't exactly find the information straightforward, but the basic rate is $20 for unlimited talk and text?  And then $10 per GB of data?   The talk and text sounds great, but that data rate is killer.

Offline skitty

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:52:23 »

I didn't exactly find the information straightforward, but the basic rate is $20 for unlimited talk and text?  And then $10 per GB of data?   The talk and text sounds great, but that data rate is killer.

Yeah, that's about right. My bill is usually between $30-$40 a month. It's a good deal if you don't use much data.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 20:02:38 »

Yep, just these phones.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:54:47 »
We don't have zone improvement plan (ZIP) codes here, so I put my postcode instead (kinda equivalent).

Google said if was invalid.

I don't exist any more :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:20:33 »

Yep, just these phones.

Meh, that's a buzzkill, seems very Apple-like.  But it seems like the point of this project is to push the cellular market in a certain direction.  I wonder what their endgame is here.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 17:26:44 »
Reminds me of Zelda Fi

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 10:00:00 »
I know of a few friends using it and I plan on switching as soon as my current contract runs out