Author Topic: NIB IBM Model F XT - $60 + Shipping  (Read 5064 times)

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ekeppel

Re: NIB IBM Model F XT - $60 + Shipping
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:53:38 »
I bought one last week and the seller hasn't shipped yet.  Says they've 'been in the hospital this week'.  Zero FB and a new account created last week.  Seller just told me that they have 40 of them which doesn't jive with the 8 they told you they had.

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:57:56 »
I would not have posted this but I now suspect something fishy is going on here. This seller has a duplicate account with 0 feedback.

christophedelaver_0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ibm-5160-xt-keyboard-/152593369724?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=kQix1E8bcDpNwX55c7i%252F%252F8XtBQc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 11:02:52 »
...I also noted that the first time they listed one of these, it received an immediate bid, which they cancelled, giving the reason 'item was sold'.  It was then relisted at $60.  That's the one I bought last week.

They have also sold the same Apple IIc a couple of times, and I doubt they have a bunch of those NIB as well.  Try a Google reverse image search on the Apple IIx and you'll find some of their other listings elsewhere on the web.   :))

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 11:04:41 »
Yea, seriously seems to good to be true. If I had this on eBay, I would be asking like $200. I bought one before I posted this :(

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 11:12:41 »
Pretty much looks like they just copied another sellers auctions as you said, and are hoping to make a quick bit of money.  The last message I sent the seller was asking why the discrepancy in the quantity of keyboards mentioned and though they replied within minutes to my previous questions, there has been no response from them this time, lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 00:40:44 »
Really, you think someone who's been on eBay since 2012, and has a 100% positive rating, would do something like that?

Pretty much looks like they just copied another [seller's auction]...

Why do you say that? I did a Google Images search for that photo but didn't find any instances of it elsewhere.

People do sometimes list things without realizing their true value.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 June 2017, 00:48:15 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 04:13:05 »
Really, you think someone who's been on eBay since 2012, and has a 100% positive rating, would do something like that?

Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I'm referring to the doppleganger's auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/christophedelaver_0/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

The account was created last week.

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 06:46:38 »
I don't want anything to do with either sellers or any seller in that zip code. I don't care if they are selling a dozen kishsavers. I cancelled my order from the doppleganger so I will see how that goes.

Offline SaltyMcSushi

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 11:15:49 »
I got one of the XTs almost a week ago, no word on it yet.

I did notice that they're listed as coming from Binghamton NY which used to have an IBM location. I did do a search on the guy's name and there is a person with that name living in the Binghamton area. Apart from that, it does seem fishy.

Seller also has listed a ton of bigfoots so that may account for the 40 number.

Oh well. I'll give it a few more days before I request a refund. A NIB model F would be sick. I have one that I got for the same price that arrived smelling like smoke and filled with rust.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 June 2017, 14:12:22 by SaltyMcSushi »

Offline JP

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 13:54:46 »
Seller just randomly refunded mine.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 01:00:43 »
I don't want anything to do with either sellers or any seller in that zip code...

Wow, is that, like, a neighbourhood where a bunch of creepy, dishonest people just happen to live? Maybe it's not even their real Zip Code—they could be lying about that, too, couldn't they? They could actually be... anywhere!!  :?O

(To experience the full Creepy Zip Code effect, feel free to read this post again while playing the short creepy MP3 I've attached here.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 14:44:31 »

Take a look at this (this must make close to 40 of the same keyboard sold):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage5160xt-keyboard-/282539054156?hash=item41c8a3d44c%3Ag%3A5l8AAOSwd%7ERZQrev&nma=true&si=3GsxEJOA2XJfdI93zXTF9h5Gv0s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

BTW eBay refunded my never delivered Bigfoot from this seller.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 15:54:24 »
Has anyone received a board from him? I had several interactions and there were a lot of things that were on the verge of scammy, but nothing that proved it in my mind. It was enough to make me can out though, and when I told him that he sherry polite and we interacted a couple times after that. I'm very curious, I want him to be legit, I just really couldn't tell...

I can go into detail later one I'm home, but here's where I decided it was too suspicious :
He wanted to do a friend's and family payment which is an immediate red flag, but his reason was his seller limit was reached (we were talking bulk purchase). He also mentioned in an offhand comment that he had opened a separate account on ebay, which explained the 2nd account brought up in this thread. Another thing he mentioned was that people kept asking him why he kept using the pictures, and he seemed generally frustrated because "they're the same, why would I take more pictures?"

So it kept making sense while seeming shady. So the day he was at his 'storage unit', I asked him to send me a picture of some of the boards he had there.  About 30 minutes later he sends 3 pictured which a reverse image search confirmed were posted on the internet years ago( and of course all were high value)

So I called PayPal and left them know (about both eBay account as well) and then told him I'm canceling. It was odd through and through... So, anyone get their boards yet?

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 16:02:26 »
Same thing he told me, though I never saw his storage unit or anything.  No board received as of yet.

Offline rtc975

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 22:09:16 »

I did notice that they're listed as coming from Binghamton NY which used to have an IBM location. I did do a search on the guy's name and there is a person with that name living in the Binghamton area. Apart from that, it does seem fishy.

Oh well. I'll give it a few more days before I request a refund. A NIB model F would be sick. I have one that I got for the same price that arrived smelling like smoke and filled with rust.

Binghamton is right next to Endicott, which was the Birthplace of IBM.  I worked there, my dad did, my grandparents did and my great grandparents have all been IBM'ers.  Remember IBM christmas parties at the country club where every kid got a present, IBM field days.  All of the buildings still stand, BAE occupies maybe 1/10th of the old facilities.

I still have my 5150, 5155, CGA / EGA displays with the swivel bases, proprinters and of course a few used keyboards from my family's PC's growing up.  I'll keep the stuff till the day I die.   

Shame about the ad, hoping someone around here still had a stockpile of M's, SSK's and F's.

Offline JP

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 22:18:55 »

Binghamton is right next to Endicott, which was the Birthplace of IBM.  I worked there, my dad did, my grandparents did and my great grandparents have all been IBM'ers.  Remember IBM christmas parties at the country club where every kid got a present, IBM field days.  All of the buildings still stand, BAE occupies maybe 1/10th of the old facilities.

I still have my 5150, 5155, CGA / EGA displays with the swivel bases, proprinters and of course a few used keyboards from my family's PC's growing up.  I'll keep the stuff till the day I die.   

Shame about the ad, hoping someone around here still had a stockpile of M's, SSK's and F's.

Thanks for that neat piece of history. I never realized Binghamton was close to Endicott. One can always hope for more great finds. I am sure there are still some out there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2017, 15:39:12 by JP »

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:00:12 »
The negative seller ratings are starting. I've bought a fair amount of stuff from eBay and have only two bad buying experiences. Both involved attempting to purchase a Bigfoot. Maybe it's just not meant to be ... oh well.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:30:51 »
...I've bought a fair amount of stuff from eBay and have only two bad buying experiences. Both involved attempting to purchase a Bigfoot...

Maybe Bigfoot really is a myth.