Author Topic: [IC] GMK Pristine (BoW Black on White, L9 runs first, WS1 soon^tm)  (Read 54535 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] GMK BLACK on WHITE (Poll results revealed! 07/30)
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 13:50:56 »
o ****, this set is going to have R5 icons? brb selling stormtrooper... (sorry manifex)

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 14:13:22 »
Im all for L9, but can we rename the set? BoW doesn't really fit L9 imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 16:39:31 »
WS1 (WS2!!!)

In all serious though, why is the choice between the top 2 options and the last option? L9 got less than 1/4th the votes. I get there is a group of die hard fans who really want black on beige, but I want a black on white set to use on a black and white keyboard.

Glad text only modifiers are dead tho.

I'm fine with either of the remaining options for legends (though i like the idea of yuri mods).

Offline kimbles

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 17:54:59 »
Pls lock indicator keys, PLS
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 18:17:16 »
Are we gunna do a new pole?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 18:23:30 »
Is it possible to do both ends of the spectrum? One super vintage BoW and one clean/modern BoW.. just simplify each to a good-sized base kit so the MoQ will be plausible for each..

(Just a suggestion, I have no experience with GB’s and how to make them work)

You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 23:36:56 »

I get there is a group of die hard fans who really want black on beige, but I want a black on white set to use on a black and white keyboard.

This 1000000% Couldn't have said it better.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 00:19:43 »
This set gonna look najs with the no face foogs coming out

Offline BerserkZz

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 22:35:38 »
Any update? When will this group buy be live?

Offline fishpod

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 23:54:01 »
Any update? When will this group buy be live?

Updates will be up soon :thumb:

Offline fishpod

Re: [IC] GMK BLACK on WHITE (big update 08/18)
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 09:30:26 »
Please vote for your favorite BoW
LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:21:17 by fishpod »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 20:01:50 »
https://goo.gl/forms/MsujtCdPZIPX2R4T2

So no 1.5u Code or anykey beside alt/ctrl? Really need that key because this keyset will looks great in front of my iMac ;)

Offline ullr

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 14:28:19 »
So text mods win if they get a plurality but the two icon mods options combined get 60% plus? I don’t think it makes sense to poll arbitrary combinations of colors and mod paradigms.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 03:56:54 »

So no 1.5u Code or anykey beside alt/ctrl? Really need that key because this keyset will looks great in front of my iMac ;)

Am planning to add a pair of 1.5u R4 OS keys :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 04:20:37 »

Whoa finally! I just playing with keyset configuration and seems like only macOS using 1.5u OSkey. So if the other size using Winkey, the 1.5u can use Command key. But since you probably will use icon, maybe use Meta (diamond) icon on all size of OSkey will be better.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 09:23:32 »

Whoa finally! I just playing with keyset configuration and seems like only macOS using 1.5u OSkey. So if the other size using Winkey, the 1.5u can use Command key. But since you probably will use icon, maybe use Meta (diamond) icon on all size of OSkey will be better.

someone on reddit mentioned that HHKB needs 1.5u os keys so i am thinking to add those in. Probably will go with diamond or code for the legends depending on the final result of the poll. if its CP/WS1, we will have diamond, but if L9 wins, we will have code.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 09:48:22 »

any good suggestions for the name if L9 makes it? ;)

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 09:53:44 »

GMK Antique? Or maybe GMK Candlelit. Both are names of Beige shades/tones.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 12:23:10 »
I do not see any reason why the L9 base set cannot go well with the new Icons, it would be like GMK Beige Reloaded.

Offline basically_i_suck

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:14:36 »

someone on reddit mentioned that HHKB needs 1.5u os keys so i am thinking to add those in. Probably will go with diamond or code for the legends depending on the final result of the poll. if its CP/WS1, we will have diamond, but if L9 wins, we will have code.

For WS1 and CP, the Yuri icons will cover all the modifiers (including ctrl, alt), right? For that case, I agree that diamond is a suitable legend.

Looking forward to the poll results!  :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:46:24 »
I do not see any reason why the L9 base set cannot go well with the new Icons, it would be like GMK Beige Reloaded.

Anyone have a link to a picture of these new smaller icons?
I can't recall if I've noticed them before.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline basically_i_suck

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 05:28:15 »

Here they are: https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-x-t0mb3ry-gmk-yuri-custom-keycap-set/Icon_Mods_20170517120653.jpg
No Yuri sets have been delivered I think these are the only renders - hopefully we will see full renders for this drop.

Offline avid

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 05:36:45 »
yuri icon mods is not so nice. The GMK Burgundy is much better (for example caps lock). Also, ctrl & alt is rather ugly as icon mods. Usually those are left as is.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 05:54:49 »

Here they are: https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-x-t0mb3ry-gmk-yuri-custom-keycap-set/Icon_Mods_20170517120653.jpg
No Yuri sets have been delivered I think these are the only renders - hopefully we will see full renders for this drop.

T0mb3ry has stated that there are Icons to cover a full size keyboard, therefore, those in the render are just a subset of the full.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 06:58:50 »

T0mb3ry has stated that there are Icons to cover a full size keyboard, therefore, those in the render are just a subset of the full.

still wondering if I should just do the icons on the renders or do all those icons, personally i think the Icons for the pg up/dn and home/end delete/insert are kinda confusing. conscience tells me to do them all, but i dont really like them TBO.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 07:35:28 »

still wondering if I should just do the icons on the renders or do all those icons, personally i think the Icons for the pg up/dn and home/end delete/insert are kinda confusing. conscience tells me to do them all, but i dont really like them TBO.

I suggest you to check with T0mb3ry on the other icons, he has proved to be a great designer, thus his selection for navigation icons should be a very good one. I have seen a few old keyboards with icons for navigation and I do not think they may cause any confusion, also, some other contemporary sets that carries them, for example the Matt30's Granite ones that are also self explanatory; besides, most MK users are touch typists, so legends are just another visual feature and not really something to be read in order to type.

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 August 2017, 07:44:09 by ideus »

Offline crtexcnndrm99

[IC] GMK BLACK on WHITE (big update 08/18)
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 08:49:33 »
Personally I think the all-icon mods look cheap and nasty (from what I've seen in pictures).. stick with something classic IMO - it is after all potentially a rather classic colourway

Offline basically_i_suck

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 03:02:01 »

When it comes to icons for this set I think that full icon modifiers are not suitable because they will be in the same colour as alphas which will look quite sparse.

Icon only modifiers for the middle 3 rows (as is traditional) I think will look the best. For the bottom row and ESC I think text modifiers are fine (including OS/Super key [or windows key is good too ;)]).

Also I'd like to see the cute padlock caps lock legend :D.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 19:23:56 »
damn the results are close! The poll will be active for another 15 hours! For anyone who haven't voted, please participate in this poll if you want to see this coming! :thumb: :thumb:

I will, again, count all votes from the China and the international poll :))

Offline neralo

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 00:11:07 »
Unfortunately the way the colourway + icon/text mod choice has gone on this set has made this a solid no go for me. Hopefully someone else will pick up a proper BoW set with text mods in the future.

Best of luck to those in this GB.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 00:17:44 »
damn the results are close! The poll will be active for another 15 hours! For anyone who haven't voted, please participate in this poll if you want to see this coming! :thumb: :thumb:

The Poll says that for L9 it will be text + "new small icons?

Can you please post a link with pictures of exactly what your referring to (new small icons)?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline fishpod

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 02:28:03 »

Can you please post a link with pictures of exactly what your referring to (new small icons)?

I believe there's no "new" before small. The mods for L9 will be text with small icons just as shown in the renders, I put small icon there just to make it clear that it was not "text only" because we had a choice of text only mods in the previous polls

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 03:10:05 »

I believe there's no "new" before small. The mods for L9 will be text with small icons just as shown in the renders, I put small icon there just to make it clear that it was not "text only" because we had a choice of text only mods in the previous polls
Ah, okay.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 07:41:47 »

Ah, okay.

An L9 set with classic legends for modifiers plus a set of the new Tomb3ry's Icons would rock.

Offline fishpod

Re: [IC] GMK BLACK on WHITE (Final Result, a draw LUL)
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:06:36 »
So..... here are the final results

176838-0

Sorry, CP is gone :( which is also my favorite

But the question is...

L9 or WS1??? they got the same votes lol.

I am only going to run 1 set at the moment, and maybe leave the other choice for a future run

What do you guys think? I will be asking around :) and decision will be made ASAP

Offline fishpod

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:12:30 »
I am more inclined to go with L9 first according to the numbers from both the Chinese poll and international poll

if its L9 we will need a rename tho :) Thinking of GMK PRISTINE

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:35:35 by fishpod »

Offline avid

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:37:59 »
WHY the yuri icon mods? theyre not nice.

Use the 9009 Icon mods. (ctrl, alt as text). Its 100% the best look.

But id say L9 with icon mods (9009 version)-

Offline crtexcnndrm99

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 10:32:54 »
Great to the results! Hmm what about GMK IVORY?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 11:06:06 »
I say run whatever you want to run, which seems to be L9.  However, we already have GMK sets with L9 (9009, classic beige), so it really doesn't make sense to me.  9009 R2 will be here soon enough.  But like I said, run what you want to run.  'Tis YOUR group buy :)

Maybe call it 9010  :))

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 11:29:40 »
I am more inclined to go with L9 first according to the numbers from both the Chinese poll and international poll

I really hope L9 ISN'T the choice as it is of literally no interest to me at all, though I would understand why if it did. That said I'm not quite sure why WS1 is an option if you have no interest in it though. It won R1 and it would have won R2 had CP not been included. (CP and WS1 are both "white" L9 is not). It's also much more unique IMO as I'm not aware of any other white set but stormtrooper and there have been a few recent white case GB like the E8-V1/E6-V2 and the Revo case that could really show off white caps.

Have you considered running both, just not at once? Do one, then a month or two later do the other?

Offline fishpod

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 12:07:19 »

I really hope L9 ISN'T the choice as it is of literally no interest to me at all, though I would understand why if it did. That said I'm not quite sure why WS1 is an option if you have no interest in it though. It won R1 and it would have won R2 had CP not been included. (CP and WS1 are both "white" L9 is not). It's also much more unique IMO as I'm not aware of any other white set but stormtrooper and there have been a few recent white case GB like the E8-V1/E6-V2 and the Revo case that could really show off white caps.

Have you considered running both, just not at once? Do one, then a month or two later do the other?

Probably will do both, for i cannot make a choice between WS1 and L9, but just not at once. maybe sometime later, maybe after the first sets GB's done. and for the next set, i will probably make more adjustments from the community feed back and throw in a "waster" novelty keycap ;)

everyone has their definition of white, and i consider L9 a white :)
I would say that i DO think WS1 is a good choice, cause it will go well with my current GMK collections.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 12:11:21 »
Works for me. I don't mind waiting at all. I'm just super excited about a WS1 set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 13:04:37 »
So going by the poll, the L9 set is going to be text & icons, correct?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 16:30:34 »
@fishpot

An image is better than one hundred words: A render of the WS1 with T0mb3ry's Icons  may help to reach a final consensus on this, there is no previous references on how this combination may look, so anyone is inventing its very own mental render of the final set, which does not help, because it biased the decision.

Offline avid

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 16:37:51 »
Stormtrooper white (CP) is beautiful. Actually it might be better than the L9 because ALL beige sets use that as alphas.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 18:33:46 »

correct

Offline fishpod

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 18:40:44 »
@fishpot

An image is better than one hundred words: A render of the WS1 with T0mb3ry's Icons  may help to reach a final consensus on this, there is no previous references on how this combination may look, so anyone is inventing its very own mental render of the final set, which does not help, because it biased the decision.

you are right, should also get the renders ready. will do L9 and WS1 both just not at the same time, so they all need renders

Offline ullr

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 19:49:13 »
Well even though beige and white tied, icon mods clearly won...just putting that out there

— resident icon mods shill

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 21:40:49 »
correct

Alright  :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 21:55:56 »
Would really love those WS1 boys.