Author Topic: How many of you Console Gamerz have gone back to PC?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
How many of you Console Gamerz have gone back to PC?
« on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 13:46:27 »
??

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: How many of you Console Gamerz have gone back to PC?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 17:51:24 »
I thought console gamers were console gamers because they couldn't afford a PC? So basically that would never be the case, then :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline slyce0flife

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 17:53:59 »
I don't discriminate when it comes to gaming, I will play on console, PC.. flash games on my phone lol. Currently playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 18:07:55 »
I do play games on my phone actually, come to think of it. Mostly pinball games, and Z.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 18:45:32 »
Im a pineapple

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 02:36:52 »
Pineapples are cool. They're the only fruit that eats you back.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 05:20:45 »
Pineapples are cool. They're the only fruit that eats you back.
Fun fact: pineapples were a status symbol for a long time; people would actually rent them, place them on the table during parties to show off, and then return them.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 07:25:24 »
I thought console gamers were console gamers because they couldn't afford a PC? So basically that would never be the case, then :p .

If you are a hardcore / pro gamer then i agree with you. If you are a casual gamer like me: not really. In the few rare occasions i actually do play a game i prefer doing it for relaxation reasons and thereby on a couch in front of a tv and with surround sound, more as an alternative to watching tv to bring more diversity to my nightly entertainment. For this reason i prefer console, allthough i could afford playing on a pc.

For me console games give a completely different feeling than pc games. For me it's easier to play casual on a console. With PC it always is more competitive, less relaxing and a greater urge to play more .. and more .. and more ..  (But maybe that's only me, because i played 24/7 or as much as humanly possible on pc and neglected important stuff, like school, other people etc until around 10 years ago)
Since playing video games is basically a waste of time, because it does nothing for your life, that's not what i want. Nowadays i only play singleplayer, and with just that the joy of playing vanishes after a few hours of continuous playing anyway, making room for emptiness and getting lost in another world, so why do it. All the accomplishments one has the burning urge to achieve in a game are in reality meaningless. A fact which you will realize at the latest when you lost interest in the particular game.

So yeah i prefer casual gaming on console and spending my time on better things than pc gaming .. like keyboards, learning stuff, software dev .. whatever currently interests me

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 07:49:36 »
In the few rare occasions i actually do play a game i prefer doing it for relaxation reasons and thereby on a couch in front of a tv and with surround sound, more as an alternative to watching tv to bring more diversity to my nightly entertainment. For this reason i prefer console, allthough i could afford playing on a pc.
What's stopping you from connecting the TV and controller to a desktop? What's stopping you from running some 'media center' UI on the desktop?

Modern consoles are crippled desktops anyway.

Since playing video games is basically a waste of time, because it does nothing for your life, that's not what i want. Nowadays i only play singleplayer, and with just that the joy of playing vanishes after a few hours of continuous playing anyway, making room for emptiness and getting lost in another world, so why do it. All the accomplishments one has the burning urge to achieve in a game are in reality meaningless. A fact which you will realize at the latest when you lost interest in the particular game.
That's about as dumb as the classic argument "when I was a kid, I didn't stare at screens, but built things with friends"… what's Minecraft then? "Building things with friends."

Games are a medium, that can be used for learning things, improving skills etc. just like anything else. It's all about attitude and choice of titles.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:20:35 »

If you are a hardcore / pro gamer then i agree with you. If you are a casual gamer like me: not really. In the few rare occasions i actually do play a game i prefer doing it for relaxation reasons and thereby on a couch in front of a tv and with surround sound, more as an alternative to watching tv to bring more diversity to my nightly entertainment. For this reason i prefer console, allthough i could afford playing on a pc.

For me console games give a completely different feeling than pc games. For me it's easier to play casual on a console. With PC it always is more competitive, less relaxing and a greater urge to play more .. and more .. and more ..  (But maybe that's only me, because i played 24/7 or as much as humanly possible on pc and neglected important stuff, like school, other people etc until around 10 years ago)

So yeah i prefer casual gaming on console and spending my time on better things than pc gaming .. like keyboards, learning stuff, software dev .. whatever currently interests me
That's a fair point tbh. I've been gaming since I was four years old, and I game at least a bit almost every day, so I'm pretty deeply into it.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:53:05 »
In the few rare occasions i actually do play a game i prefer doing it for relaxation reasons and thereby on a couch in front of a tv and with surround sound, more as an alternative to watching tv to bring more diversity to my nightly entertainment. For this reason i prefer console, allthough i could afford playing on a pc.
What's stopping you from connecting the TV and controller to a desktop? What's stopping you from running some 'media center' UI on the desktop?
Modern consoles are crippled desktops anyway.

Sure, could do that. But i believe that would be a) unneccesarily more expensive than just using a console and b) more time consuming to maintain and configure. A console and it's games just work without any real problems, without having to fiddle out the best settings etc ... For my purposes using a pc brings no real benefits.

That's about as dumb as the classic argument "when I was a kid, I didn't stare at screens, but built things with friends"… what's Minecraft then? "Building things with friends."
Games are a medium, that can be used for learning things, improving skills etc. just like anything else. It's all about attitude and choice of titles.

Yeah of course, there are games that are meaningful. But these are another category and i think not the type of games played by the most people and not the type of games i meant with this statement.
If you have friends that like gaming there is also no problem to do that with them. Doying fun stuff with friends is always good no matter what. (But the life doesn't consist of just fun activites..so again, it shouldn't cost most of the days time)
But the people i know are no big gamers. I would've to play online with strangers which i can't really call my "friends" and will likely never meet IRL. That diminishes the value of playing a "meaningless" game a bit..

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:09:45 »

That's a fair point tbh. I've been gaming since I was four years old, and I game at least a bit almost every day, so I'm pretty deeply into it.

Yeah i started with 5 years in around 1999 with a win 98 laptop, directly followed by gameboy/n64/gamecube/PC. I played a lot, especially later with PC. Until i reached a maximum with MMORPGs. Grades falling etc .. from second best in class to last place, barely passing the school year. That day about 10 years ago i stopped completely, playing absolutely nothing for the years to come. Few years later and now i'm ok again with casual gaming and no interest in doing more than that. For that a console is absolutely fine. I don't have games on my Laptop (XPS 15), except for the Dolphin Emulator which i use extremly rarely. (sometimes Super Smash Bros Melee / Mario Kart during wait times in university with a colleague)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 10:18:32 »
Yeah of course, there are games that are meaningful. But these are another category and i think not the type of games played by the most people and not the type of games i meant with this statement.
Plenty of people read poorly written, dumb self-help books or romance novels. That, however, has no bearing on existence of books with literary merit or useful information; it doesn't say anything about possible improvements in language skills (incl. learning a foreign language) etc.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:28:49 »
I recently moved to computer from Console, and there are things I prefer consoles for; ease of access, and simplicity of use are big pros for consoles, and the investment and complexity of computers, comparatively, aren't merits.
I consider myself a serious gamer, and I think both platforms have strengths and weaknesses regardless of whether game play is casual or serious. There are some hardcore games that play better on console than they do on PC, and some games that even on PC I will use a controller for, a console peripheral.

Someone up above said that consoles are for people that can't afford computers and while I imagine it was a joke, I still think it's incredibly ignorant and short sighted, and perpetuates this 'PC gamers are better than console gamers' mentality that I think is really toxic. Moving from a console to nice computer I still don't understand why console gamers get such a hard time from PCMR fanboys who can't see past their own bias.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:14:29 »
The Playstation Store money system is pretty lame. You have to add money to your Playstation "wallet" in increments of $5, that's just about the worst thing ever.

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 10:03:11 »
The Playstation Store money system is pretty lame. You have to add money to your Playstation "wallet" in increments of $5, that's just about the worst thing ever.

Steam does a similar thing I just learned. Frustrating.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 11:17:11 »

Who the **** adds money to their Steam wallet?! I have some that I get off of selling cards and that's about it, why would you put money on there yourself? Oo

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 17:28:09 »
Natalie Portman.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 18:08:58 »

Who the **** adds money to their Steam wallet?! I have some that I get off of selling cards and that's about it, why would you put money on there yourself? Oo

Because some purchase require you to use your steam wallet and it's easier to do that then to try and work out an item sale mid game and wait for it to sell to buy whatever it is you are trying to buy. That and I don't know what cards are.