Author Topic: Now or then?  (Read 10729 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Now or then?
« on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 23:16:46 »
Would you prefer to live in the olden days (i.e .some period in the past, say the late 1800s, or a historical period of your choosing), or the present day?  Or even the future?  And why?

Now has internet and keyboards and soft drink, but also has terrorists, cancer and political correctness.

The past had respect for others, lots of jobs and clean air, but also had much less medical knowledge and less ability to travel the planet.

The future might be rosy with Star Trek-like technology, space ships and AI, or it might be a nuclear winter wasteland with the few survivors struggling to live.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gnmar2723

Re: Now or then?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 23:27:35 »
60s/70s no contest.
Back with all that analog tech.... oh yeahhhhhhh

Also, stuff was built to last back then. Now all we have is cheap crap designed to break.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 00:10:07 »
60s/70s no contest.
Back with all that analog tech.... oh yeahhhhhhh

Also, stuff was built to last back then. Now all we have is cheap crap designed to break.

That's true.

Even houses - houses from that period are still standing strong, but new houses are developing more and more faults.  A guy at work had a house built only a couple of years ago, and it has already developed large water leaks and part of the ceiling collapsed.

Also things back then were built to be repairable - these days they are disposable instead.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 04:42:47 »
If it hadn't been for medical advances, I would not have been alive today.
But apart from that, I believe that back in the '80s, especially before and also more in the '90s than now, people had more hope for the future. The economy was mostly on the rise. The only looming threat that people really were afraid of was the thread of a nuclear war between the USA and the USSR.

Even houses - houses from that period are still standing strong, but new houses are developing more and more faults.
There were new cheaper building methods in the '60s and '70s and even '80s that were later deemed really bad. For example new types of paints that flaked easily, highrises of prefab elements that fell apart like a house of cards, insulation materials that burned easily and caused nasty fumes that killed 80 people in a fire in 2017...
But yes, the methods were still new and the majority of houses were older and better.
I think now, though, that people are more wiser about which methods to avoid... but you would have to go through the effort of selecting good materials and methods and be ready to pay for it.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:39:10 »
Fibro houses Rowdy, is that what you want FIBRO HOUSES!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:56:47 »

I believe that back in the '80s, especially before and also more in the '90s than now, people had more hope for the future.

I was born in 1952 into an era of what I recognize, now, in retrospect, was extraordinary optimism for the future.
Advances in science, medicine, and technology promised a beautiful and peaceful world for us, and we never imagined that it would not happen that way.

The space program was the crown jewel of the age, and although the often pejorative term "the sixties" today conjures images of drug-saturated stupor and hedonism, it was also a time of an intense quest for social reform, philosophical liberation, and existential enlightenment.

Why did that momentum collapse at the end of the decade? For the US, the simplistic answer is probably that backlash from the Vietnam War triggered the implosion.

Why did human society fork with the overwhelming majority turning around and moving backwards? The simplistic answers are probably that western religion promised a happy afterlife and that "enlightenment" did not promise anything beyond the here and now, and that people felt validated when somebody told them that their "greed is good" emotion was ethically acceptable.

In my opinion, it might be summed up in the 3 words "Freedom is Frightening" and that most people are more comfortable with the simplicity of what they have known in the past, and that they desperately fear change.

My personal disappointment is that the last 2/3 of my life have been lived in a world so different from the one that the first 1/3 of my life promised.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
Now or then?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:29:49 »
The past had respect for others

How do you mean?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 09:52:27 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 17:29:01 »
The past had respect for others...

Sure, as long as you were white.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:51:10 »
NOW..

They got a new Dewalt cordless impact wrench with 700 Ft pound torque..

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-34-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-retention-pin-anvil-bare/dcf897b

Some serious wrist-breaking torque there my boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:54:50 »
i want to live in 2011 so i can buy clacks at retail

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 22:00:56 »
The past had respect for others

How do you mean?

The past had respect for others...

Sure, as long as you were white.

In the past people respected each other far more, even in little ways.  Walking along the footpath with head raised, smiling a greeting at everyone you pass and moving out of the way of those in your path.  These days most people seem to walk around looking angry with heads down focussing on their mobile devices and not watching where they are walking.  Don't bump into one - if you make him drop his precious device he's likely to go ballistic on you.

People also tended to add small, inconsequential things to speech, like "please" and "thank you", instead of just assuming they are entitled to be the first to get whatever.  Probably for free too.

Yes there were racial prejudices back then - there still are today.  But the masses are less tolerant of such behaviour, so although there are far more foreigners in any given country these days, people (both foreign and national) tend to be less tolerant of prejudice towards them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 22:13:01 »

I believe that back in the '80s, especially before and also more in the '90s than now, people had more hope for the future.

I was born in 1952 into an era of what I recognize, now, in retrospect, was extraordinary optimism for the future.
Advances in science, medicine, and technology promised a beautiful and peaceful world for us, and we never imagined that it would not happen that way.

The space program was the crown jewel of the age, and although the often pejorative term "the sixties" today conjures images of drug-saturated stupor and hedonism, it was also a time of an intense quest for social reform, philosophical liberation, and existential enlightenment.

Why did that momentum collapse at the end of the decade? For the US, the simplistic answer is probably that backlash from the Vietnam War triggered the implosion.

Why did human society fork with the overwhelming majority turning around and moving backwards? The simplistic answers are probably that western religion promised a happy afterlife and that "enlightenment" did not promise anything beyond the here and now, and that people felt validated when somebody told them that their "greed is good" emotion was ethically acceptable.

In my opinion, it might be summed up in the 3 words "Freedom is Frightening" and that most people are more comfortable with the simplicity of what they have known in the past, and that they desperately fear change.

My personal disappointment is that the last 2/3 of my life have been lived in a world so different from the one that the first 1/3 of my life promised.

I keep thinking that this is not the future I was promised, and wondered what that was all about.

Recently I found a bunch of old TV adverts from yesteryear on YouTube and watched a few.  They brought back a lot of memories.

And reminded me that as a child I kinda expected adulting to be like in those pictures.

In reality life is nothing like that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 23:14:39 »
NOW..

They got a new Dewalt cordless impact wrench with 700 Ft pound torque..

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-34-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-retention-pin-anvil-bare/dcf897b

Some serious wrist-breaking torque there my boy.

I only own their previous Brushed version which only haz 400ftlb torque.. sigh..... Saving up for the new version..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 08:59:06 »
Now...**** was going on back in the day, probably worse than now..you just didn't know about most of it due to mobile devices, social media etc.

Our life expectancy is going to be through the roof during our generation as long as we listen to the sound advice of our fearless leader, TP4.

And of course, DeWalt > All.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 09:33:34 »
Now...**** was going on back in the day, probably worse than now..you just didn't know about most of it due to mobile devices, social media etc.

Our life expectancy is going to be through the roof during our generation as long as we listen to the sound advice of our fearless leader, TP4.

100% Veggie,   10% Fats..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 09:57:44 »
Content with now. Sure I'll bring up some of my experiences from my 'then' when I empathize on occasion but overall I enjoy now. I think that people are superficially accountable for their actions now. Not perfect but it's a start in the right direction.

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:05:57 »
How about never?  Or at least before sentience became a thing? [or is that a paradox?]

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:16:38 »
We have basically all the stuff they had in the past, or the ability to recreate it.. without having to die from polio, the plague, etc.
keyboards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:19:41 »
We have basically all the stuff they had in the past, or the ability to recreate it.. without having to die from polio, the plague, etc.

But.. Heart disease !!!!

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:21:42 »

Smart phones are a plague.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:24:12 »

I believe smartphones and screen-addiction is the natural process prior to wetware cybernetics.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 13:48:33 »
I would prefer to live through the '80s and '90s in perpetuity. Computer technology was primitive enough that it wasn't quite ubiquitous or useful for everything, but it was advanced and common enough for lay people to use. I was too young in the '80s to remember it, but I grew up with the my older brothers' stuff (toys, shows, etc.), and I enjoyed the '90s quite a bit. I'd like to experience '80s music and movies when they were new.

The last really good year I can remember was probably 2007. I can't really think of much since then that I'd want to re-live.

Plus it just weirds me out that people born in the '90s are approaching 30 and people born in the '00s are approaching adulthood. I can't wrap my head around that; it stuns me on a daily basis.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 17:16:24 »
I would prefer to live through the '80s and '90s in perpetuity. Computer technology was primitive enough that it wasn't quite ubiquitous or useful for everything, but it was advanced and common enough for lay people to use. I was too young in the '80s to remember it, but I grew up with the my older brothers' stuff (toys, shows, etc.), and I enjoyed the '90s quite a bit. I'd like to experience '80s music and movies when they were new.

The last really good year I can remember was probably 2007. I can't really think of much since then that I'd want to re-live.

Plus it just weirds me out that people born in the '90s are approaching 30 and people born in the '00s are approaching adulthood. I can't wrap my head around that; it stuns me on a daily basis.

Hahaha Kavik you gettin' old

The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Kavik

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:59:00 »

Hahaha Kavik you gettin' old

I know, man, and I'm not even 30 yet myself. After about age 22 or so, time speeds up so much that it catches you by surprise that everything you know is so old and there are adults who aren't old enough to remember things you take for granted.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:09:23 »

The problem is that there are too many old people in some countries and not enough young people to look after them.

Not suggesting we should turn people into soylent green or anything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:10:09 »
Content with now. Sure I'll bring up some of my experiences from my 'then' when I empathize on occasion but overall I enjoy now. I think that people are superficially accountable for their actions now. Not perfect but it's a start in the right direction.

Superficially accountable, perhaps, but most people don't seem to care one way or another.

So those of us who do care either have to turn a blind eye 90% of the time or just get really angry but not be able to do anything about it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:11:30 »

What about the optimism?

Are people optimistic today?

Doesn't seem like it much of the time - threat of nuclear war, over population, political correctness, obesity in half the world, famine in the other half, extreme weather, skin caner, air pollution - most of that we didn't have in the past.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:12:39 »

Yeah.  Before smartphones people were much more communicative.

175666-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:13:22 »

70s TV series were good, 80s movies were good, 90s?  Down hill from there?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:16:39 »
I know, man, and I'm not even 30 yet myself. After about age 22 or so, time speeds up so much that it catches you by surprise that everything you know is so old and there are adults who aren't old enough to remember things you take for granted.

Technology today is so very far advanced from what was around in the 70s and even 80s.  And that was only 30 something years ago.

I'm wondering what will be around in another 30 years or so, when most of us will still be here to see it.

Will we embrace it?  Or will we stick with what we know?  Are young people today more accepting of new technologies and more likely to embrace them as they are invented?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:40:12 »
People didn't walk down the street holding a newspaper in one hand while carrying a small child on their shoulders. A child that is only the second-most thing that the parent is afraid of dropping.
A child that will not build a good connection with their parents in their most formative years, and which will not be taught how to interact well with others at an early age -- because the parent preferred to read the newspaper instead.

People did not stand in doorways of police stations, train cars and shops blocking other people with their newspapers ... getting into an argument with you if you ask them to stand aside to let you through.

I have never had to prevent a woman from being run over by a train because she was distracted reading a newspaper.

Smartphones are active communication devices that request that the user interacts with it using a (sometimes) very clunky and (always) imprecise interface in real time. They can be stressing and they can be addictive.
Newspapers are passive: they don't demand that you use them right meow - they can be picked up whenever the user wants to, and then put down.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:48:27 by Findecanor »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:26:48 »
I've always wondered what it'd be like to live in the 1890's.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:47:24 »
People didn't walk down the street holding a newspaper in one hand while carrying a small child on their shoulders. A child that is only the second-most thing that the parent is afraid of dropping.
A child that will not build a good connection with their parents in their most formative years, and which will not be taught how to interact well with others at an early age -- because the parent preferred to read the newspaper instead.

People did not stand in doorways of police stations, train cars and shops blocking other people with their newspapers ... getting into an argument with you if you ask them to stand aside to let you through.

I have never had to prevent a woman from being run over by a train because she was distracted reading a newspaper.

Smartphones are active communication devices that request that the user interacts with it using a (sometimes) very clunky and (always) imprecise interface in real time. They can be stressing and they can be addictive.
Newspapers are passive: they don't demand that you use them right meow - they can be picked up whenever the user wants to, and then put down.

While I agree with you for the most part, I did just see an article the other day where a man caused an auto collision because he was reading the newspaper while driving, injured himself and killed another driver.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 06:53:49 »

Superficially accountable, perhaps, but most people don't seem to care one way or another.

So those of us who do care either have to turn a blind eye 90% of the time or just get really angry but not be able to do anything about it.

I think having the knowledge to make a conscious decision makes a big difference. Before I had access to public facing servers no one took me aside and said, "Hey kid, this is how it goes, so pay attention." Plus, my siblings and I are of the first to legally avoid military service after generations of service--I'd rather not tempt 'fate' by going back to the past. Because I am a wuss haha

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 09:49:27 »

I'm wondering what will be around in another 30 years or so,

Will we embrace it?

I feel like I came along just at the cusp of the big change. My grandparents told me the stories of their first encounters with electricity, automobiles, and airplanes (my grandfather took one ride in an open biplane just after WW1 which terrified him, and my grandmother never got on an airplane in her life). My father had heard his grandfather's first-hand accounts of the Civil War, and our family's oral history goes back in a continuous line to the Revolutionary War.

I consider myself as clearly having been born into the bucolic, pre-technology age [I remember our first color TV, the coming of "tapes" (in the various audio and video forms), I remember Sputnik going up, getting our first cars that had seat belts, A/C, electric windows, etc], but I also feel that I have done a pretty good job of embracing the technologies that have grown up around me.

The things that bother me the  most, and that have been brought to the forefront of our attention recently, are the incredible rise of deception and ignorance spewing out of the internet as "alternative facts" and the near-complete loss of privacy and individuality.

Man's greatest discovery/invention was certainly fire, the second was surely electricity, and "the interwebs" must be the third.
Instantaneous immediate continuous global communication has changed the human race forever, for better and also for worse.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 16:08:32 »

I'm wondering what will be around in another 30 years or so,

Will we embrace it?

I feel like I came along just at the cusp of the big change. My grandparents told me the stories of their first encounters with electricity, automobiles, and airplanes (my grandfather took one ride in an open biplane just after WW1 which terrified him, and my grandmother never got on an airplane in her life). My father had heard his grandfather's first-hand accounts of the Civil War, and our family's oral history goes back in a continuous line to the Revolutionary War.

I consider myself as clearly having been born into the bucolic, pre-technology age [I remember our first color TV, the coming of "tapes" (in the various audio and video forms), I remember Sputnik going up, getting our first cars that had seat belts, A/C, electric windows, etc], but I also feel that I have done a pretty good job of embracing the technologies that have grown up around me.

The things that bother me the  most, and that have been brought to the forefront of our attention recently, are the incredible rise of deception and ignorance spewing out of the internet as "alternative facts" and the near-complete loss of privacy and individuality.

Man's greatest discovery/invention was certainly fire, the second was surely electricity, and "the interwebs" must be the third.
Instantaneous immediate continuous global communication has changed the human race forever, for better and also for worse.

What are you 63 ?

If you start 100% Veggie 10% Fat ,  you'll get to see pretty much everything..

Don't give up..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 16:13:07 »

That's really straight forward,   work from home + stop going outside..

Eventually ,  Cybernetic implants + Robots + telepresence..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:01:50 »

You'll always get things that distract people - newspapers, Rubik's Cubes, smart phones, fidget spinners - people of yore just seemed to have more common sense and awareness of what went on around them in general.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:03:15 »
I've always wondered what it'd be like to live in the 1890's.

Although today we can duplicate the clothes, the buildings, the cars, even what passed for the latest technology at the time, we cannot duplicate the people and their ideals.

The closest I can get to this is reading a book, Sherlock Holmes is a favourite as Sir ACD was focussing on telling detective stories, and his descriptions of ordinary people and events ancillary to the stories are pretty much spot on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:05:10 »

I think having the knowledge to make a conscious decision makes a big difference. Before I had access to public facing servers no one took me aside and said, "Hey kid, this is how it goes, so pay attention." Plus, my siblings and I are of the first to legally avoid military service after generations of service--I'd rather not tempt 'fate' by going back to the past. Because I am a wuss haha

Back then you'd do your service, and so would everyone else.  NOT doing it would be an exception that would draw attention to yourself.

If you were lucky you'd be out in 6 months or however long it was, and get on with your life.

Perhaps we're fortunate that there are less wars these days and so military conscription is a thing of the past in many countries where it was once common.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:07:46 »

All good points - there are always some who embrace new technologies.  The simple fact that you are posting on an internet-based keyboard forum says a lot about your acceptance of new technologies.

The majority of kids these days just accept new technology every few months as normal.  My daughter mostly worked out for herself how to use an iPad (although we do try to limit the time she spends on it).  She is likely to just pickup something new, play with it for a few minutes, and work it out.  Me too, although I've always had a fascination with technical gadgets.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 09:54:11 »

Back then you'd do your service, and so would everyone else.  NOT doing it would be an exception that would draw attention to yourself.

If you were lucky you'd be out in 6 months or however long it was, and get on with your life.

Perhaps we're fortunate that there are less wars these days and so military conscription is a thing of the past in many countries where it was once common.

Exactly. Even before any military draft, it was still mandatory to serve due to social obligation. Not serving would have affected job prospects and friendships to the point of isolation which probably led to crime etc. On one side of the family, it started after they paid a steam boat captain (Prussia) during the 1880's and on the other side well before that. If I back pedaled in time I know what my obligations would be. I'm not a Soldier or a Seaman, or an Airman, unfortunately.

Offline iri

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 03:58:28 »
I certainly wouldn't want to be born in the USSR in 1923.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fleischverpackung

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 11:58:01 »
Being born after a big war always rocks.
Booming economy, and jobs jobs jobs

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 12:34:00 »

That's an interesting perspective, did you have a personal hope for the future? You know how like some people wanted flying cars etc..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 16:22:24 »
idk why anyone would choose to live in a less convenient time period, if anything I'd want to go way into the future

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 19:07:15 »

did you have a personal hope for the future?

I expected a world of peace and health, where the problems of humanity were being systematically solved and eliminated.

It took many years for me to understand how and why the human race has fallen into such complete disrepair.

To reduce my theory to its bottom-most simplicity: when the people ("people" being defined as: individuals to families to groups to nations) are governed by forces of emotion, that society is all but certain to become dysfunctional.

When people follow reason, compassion, information, logic, and the rule of law, peace and prosperity follow.

The United States, at times during its history the foremost bastion of the latter, has, during the last half century, fallen increasingly into the ranks of the former.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 22:01:31 »
idk why anyone would choose to live in a less convenient time period, if anything I'd want to go way into the future

Soylent green.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 22:36:03 »

did you have a personal hope for the future?

I expected a world of peace and health, where the problems of humanity were being systematically solved and eliminated.

It took many years for me to understand how and why the human race has fallen into such complete disrepair.

To reduce my theory to its bottom-most simplicity: when the people ("people" being defined as: individuals to families to groups to nations) are governed by forces of emotion, that society is all but certain to become dysfunctional.

When people follow reason, compassion, information, logic, and the rule of law, peace and prosperity follow.

The United States, at times during its history the foremost bastion of the latter, has, during the last half century, fallen increasingly into the ranks of the former.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your delineations are broad, undefined, and useless

I can't believe you're this old and this naive..

None of those nouns you speak of are concrete ideas..

They are complex extensions as means to an end.

What end.

The human system of desire is very simple.

It is a ruler that when used, always gets shorter.

Drink enough wine,   one needs more wine

Smoke enough cigarettes,  one needs more cigarettes

Have sex enough with the wife,   one seeks the company of enterprise women.

As with drugs, as with wealth, as with happiness, as with all desires.

True damnation is not big-brother, and salvation is far from ideological law..

We have and always will be up against a very biological evolutionary barrier as enforced by the hedonistic response system of the human limbic system..