Author Topic: Anyone know what this is? (Payphone Keyboard)  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Anyone know what this is? (Payphone Keyboard)
« on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:37:39 »
I recently went on a trip and we passed by Port Hardy in British Columbia on the west coast (Canada).

Then I come by this telephone with keyboard on it, anyone know what it is for?

P.S:  Looks like Cherry double shot and I wish I had my keycap puller with me.

175571-0 175573-1

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Anyone know what this is? (Payphone Keyboard)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:40:50 »
It's a payphone keyboard. Says right there in your title.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:48:18 »
For TTY

www.ultratec.com/ttys/non-printing/minicom.php

www.abouttty.com/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:49:52 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:26:04 »
For TTY

www.ultratec.com/ttys/non-printing/minicom.php

www.abouttty.com/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ahhhh this explains a lot.  Though this is the first time I've seen one around, interesting.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:27:11 »
Vintage Cherry Blacks or Alps...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49639.0
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline macguy80

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 03:03:56 »
Having typed on one regularly (my best friend is deaf) although I never removed a keycap to check, I can say with relative confidence they are Cherry blacks, and a TDD/TTY/TT that old would put them FIRMLY in the vintage category.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 03:44:27 »
Having typed on one regularly (my best friend is deaf) although I never removed a keycap to check, I can say with relative confidence they are Cherry blacks, and a TDD/TTY/TT that old would put them FIRMLY in the vintage category.

it says on the what is a tty website that the service is free..  is it free ?  how could they possibly cover costs,   well i guess it's a small percentage of people who's deaf.. hrrrm..

how does this work.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 12:29:25 »
Vintage Cherry Blacks or Alps...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49639.0

From the pictures it looks like ALPS with Cherry stems, so that was already a thing back then eh?  I wonder why they couldn't replicate that today.  >_____>

Then the ALPS fans will have more keycap options, but it does look rather tall (maybe wobble issue).

it says on the what is a tty website that the service is free..  is it free ?  how could they possibly cover costs,   well i guess it's a small percentage of people who's deaf.. hrrrm..

how does this work.

I think back then like you said maybe only a small percentage was needed so they just factor in the regular cost.

But at this day and age when everyone has cellphone it actually cost quite a bit to maintain payphone (low usage, low income).

Offline macguy80

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 01:54:30 »
I meant to reply sooner, but life got in the way. :)

This post seems to confirm that some (probably older) Minicom IV's (which were the low end of the Ultratec line) used MX blacks rather than Alps.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=30816.msg584475#msg584475

As to the cost, if we're talking a TTY-to-TTY call, the cost would be no different than a regular payphone call. The call would be placed like any other call. The only additional cost involved would be if it's a relay call (TTY-to-voice). In that case, in the old days, the TTY user would pick up the receiver, dial the Relay Service number (toll free) on the phone keypad, and then when the operator answers, type the number the user wishes to call on the TTY keyboard. Nowdays 711 is the standard number to reach the Relay Service in the US and Canada. When it comes to payphone, local relay calls are free. Long distance calls, however, require either a calling card or a collect call. The relay service is generally paid for by a small surcharge (TRS) on your phone bill. Sometimes it's passed on to the customer, and some companies do not. I can't find the line item on my bill, though I know I've seen it when I had a different carrier. Nowadays, the Deaf community rely more on text messaging, IP Relay, or even a video phone. Depending on codec of course, TTY does not always work with VOIP. In the US and Canada, at least, TTY's generally used Baudot code at 45.5 baud.

What surprises me most about the photo you posted is that it's a standard home model TTY. The payphone TTY's that I have seen have (without exception) been reinforced steel models with chiclet keys, to reduce vandalism. They are generally sealed in a motorized case mounted under the payphone that opens in response to TTY signals, and retracts when the receiver is replaced at the end of the call.

They look like this:

http://www.thehightechstore.com/payphonetdd.html

In the following video, you can see how the Relay service works, and you can also hear typing sounds (they sure sound like Cherry MX) as well as hear what the Baudot code sounds like as it's transmitted over the phone line.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 20:58:26 »
Man that's really useful information thank you!  :D

The town I pass by is a very small town so maybe they have lower crime rate so doesn't need the steel box???  (Also it's inside an airport)

Though after I watch the video I'm like damn that relay lady type fast, I can't even pronounce Levoxyl let alone typing it on the spot.

But yes the one I come across does feel like MX Black (didn't have keycap puller with me), but it's definitely a linear switch.  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 21:02:55 by Hyde »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 21:28:29 »
You're welcome!

Though after I watch the video I'm like damn that relay lady type fast, I can't even pronounce Levoxyl let alone typing it on the spot.

If you think that's complex, when we were in high school my friend and I once collaboratively wrote programs in BASIC over the phone. I've no idea how many operators we went through, but one night we spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone! It took extremely careful phrasing. ;)

In reality, the operators will ask you to spell anything they're not sure of, and if you speak too fast, they WILL ask you to slow down.

Incidentally, they will also do their best to convey your mood and any background noise they hear, ie., (SOUNDS HAPPY), (DOG BARKING), (TOILET FLUSHING)

as you can imagine, that sometimes led to unintentionally funny calls over the years. Eventually, I was able to get my own TTY, and we no longer had to use Relay.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 03:25:48 »
You're welcome!

If you think that's complex, when we were in high school my friend and I once collaboratively wrote programs in BASIC over the phone. I've no idea how many operators we went through, but one night we spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone! It took extremely careful phrasing. ;)

In reality, the operators will ask you to spell anything they're not sure of, and if you speak too fast, they WILL ask you to slow down.

Incidentally, they will also do their best to convey your mood and any background noise they hear, ie., (SOUNDS HAPPY), (DOG BARKING), (TOILET FLUSHING)

as you can imagine, that sometimes led to unintentionally funny calls over the years. Eventually, I was able to get my own TTY, and we no longer had to use Relay.

TTY is so kewl..

what's the max bitrate on tty

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 05:04:23 »
Isn't that like what we're doing now? Except it's faster?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 1391406

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 06:27:42 »
One of the longest goodbyes in telephone history. Go ahead. Signing off.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 20:58:25 »
That 'go ahead' bit, had to learn to say that when relaying with a former deaf coworker.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.