Author Topic: [SOLD] ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables  (Read 2460 times)

Offline ed_avis

[SOLD] ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables
« on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 08:08:44 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232439417729

The fact that they had detachable cables is a good sign -- it means they are likely to be earlier models.  They have two-colour keys, which is also positive, and the second one has the older (and nicer looking IMHO) black and white racetrack logo.  You can see from the shiny keycaps that it has had some use.

These would go well with a couple of the USB converter cables you can also buy on ebay.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 August 2017, 07:54:08 by ed_avis »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 02:00:52 »
Sold, mate. (BTW, "racetrack logo"?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ed_avis

Re: ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 05:16:20 »
The 'racetrack' is the rounded badge with the letters IBM printed at an angle.  Earlier keyboards had a square badge.

I believe that the earlier version of the racetrack badge was black writing on a beige background.  In my limited understanding and experience these keyboards are a bit more desirable than ones with the newer blue-on-grey colours.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: [SOLD] ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 09:02:47 »
The 'racetrack' is the rounded badge with the letters IBM printed at an angle.  Earlier keyboards had a square badge.

I believe that the earlier version of the racetrack badge was black writing on a beige background.  In my limited understanding and experience these keyboards are a bit more desirable than ones with the newer blue-on-grey colours.

Aren't "square metal badge" and "oval plastic label" the common terms for these?

I think that the label color switched to blue about 1992 when IBM spun off the manufacturing to Lexmark.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ed_avis

Re: [SOLD] ebay.co.uk: two model Ms without cables
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 10:47:24 »
I thought that racetrack was the IBMish term for that logo but the reference I can find now is from the PS/2 Usenet group where I used to hang out:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware/racetrack%7Csort:relevance/comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware/2Nmnxe5RkIg/OKUyI6xNpmMJ

So it may have been an invention of one individual.  I thought that oval meant an ellipse -- a squashed circle -- but it seems that it can also mean a rectangle with rounded corners, as here.  Merriam-Webster's definition of oval refers to a racetrack shape...

So yes, I should have said oval label.