Author Topic: GMK Eclipse  (Read 53922 times)

Offline avid

Re: GMK Eclipse
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 07:20:06 »
Maybe massdrop could make this GB more successful?

Possibly, if they don't screw up the fulfillment.

Massdrop is terrible for europe, takes a long time and almost always gets caught in customs, making the set really expensive... Via Candykeys' store would be great, and there was a US proxy for the American/Canadian folks if I'm not mistaken.

The GB just ran at a bad time and with little promotion. Hope it runs again

Massdrop is fantastic (for europe).
1. takes a long time? What is it that takes a long time? Since when was a GMK set delayed from them?
2. Caught in customs, you mean paying VAT which you ought to do. If euro proxy, you will still pay VAT.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 07:22:32 by avid »

Offline andysun

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 04:18:25 »
Maybe massdrop could make this GB more successful?

Possibly, if they don't screw up the fulfillment.

Massdrop is terrible for europe, takes a long time and almost always gets caught in customs, making the set really expensive... Via Candykeys' store would be great, and there was a US proxy for the American/Canadian folks if I'm not mistaken.

The GB just ran at a bad time and with little promotion. Hope it runs again

Massdrop is fantastic (for europe).
1. takes a long time? What is it that takes a long time? Since when was a GMK set delayed from them?
2. Caught in customs, you mean paying VAT which you ought to do. If euro proxy, you will still pay VAT.

I'm not opposed to paying VAT. Customs just don't work the same in all EU countries. Shipping from massdrop takes usually 2-3 weeks to my country (usually relayed from germany), and if customs decide to inspect the package and require payment info besides the one included, the process is horrid and takes easily 3+ weeks. Also, they charge you for doing that inspection, besides the VAT you should pay (which is also fun, since I already pay taxes for customs to work...), and that makes the set more expensive than having a EU proxy with the VAT cost already accounted for. They also have 0 care when inspecting packages, so if a worker is having a bad day, you might just get a damaged one.

In Germany, IIRC customs took a few days to clear the package and charge for VAT, for instance. I think the UK had a pretty decent wait time too, but I haven't spoken to anyone from there in a while.

So I'm sorry if generalized for the whole of Europe, but for Portugal it is way worse to receive packages from overseas than from other European countries.

Why do you think Massdrop is fantastic for Europe comparing to EU proxies?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:15:56 »
It would have been better to get Eclipse keycaps from Massdrop   than no keycaps at all   :eek:

Offline befbef

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 16:20:36 »
@T0mb3ry: Any chance this set gets a new try?
Still like it so much.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 17:33:22 »
+1 this set looks awesome

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 02:57:20 »
@T0mb3ry: Any chance this set gets a new try?
Still like it so much.

I'll look if i can rerun this set in 2019.

Offline theseusanime

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 03:01:59 »
Just make a deal with massdrop and sell the blue modifiers. White on black sets are being sold on massdrop for 99 usd, before discounts.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 10:02:16 »
Just make a deal with massdrop and sell the blue modifiers. White on black sets are being sold on massdrop for 99 usd, before discounts.

It's not that easy.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 14:16:52 »
Just remembered this set. I love pretty much everything about it. I bet it could sell enough kits if a second attempt was tried.

I'm willing to be a US Proxy if you need help :)

Offline mik1

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 22:54:01 »
GMK Eclipse is the most beautiful key cap design I have seen.

I would crave to get it in a more generic form made of *all white on black*, also please do

* NorDe

* all-blank Windows button variant.

Can this be possible?

I'd use it with a Filco or WASD keyboard. There are many good mechanical keyboards out there, but their key cap sets are despicable. I think this Eclipse design in white on black (also black on white can be totally relevant) can be a constant sell, there is no need to just massdrop it rarely.

(Wider NorDe conversation here and praise for Eclipse, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97874 .)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2018, 00:50:37 by mik1 »

Offline darthzero

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 01:21:47 »
GMK Eclipse is the most beautiful key cap design I have seen.

I would crave to get it in a more generic form made of *all white on black*, also please do

* NorDe

* all-blank Windows button variant.

Can this be possible?

I'd use it with a Filco or WASD keyboard. There are many good mechanical keyboards out there, but their key cap sets are despicable. I think this Eclipse design in white on black (also black on white can be totally relevant) can be a constant sell, there is no need to just massdrop it rarely.

(Wider NorDe conversation here and praise for Eclipse, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97874 .)
This ran last year about the same time (although hit by other sets that went live around the same time) and it sadly didn't hit moq. The NorDe kit had abysmal numbers iirc so i doubt that those would get another chance outside of md. To the black and with idea, there was a set that just ran with black mods/white alphas (gmk monochrome) and it needed a prolonged gb period to barely hit moq. 
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline mik1

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 10:53:46 »
(Also following darthzero's kind response,)

I would still really love to buy a key cap set something like this, in white on black, NorDe, with blank windows keys, so +1 for any such initiative.

@t0mb3ry may we ever see Eclipse in WoB + NorDe??

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 11:03:46 »
I'm just going to throw this out there - but could this set be done as an SA profile? Looking at the aftermarket values of popular SA sets and the saturation of GMK sets makes me wonder if SA might not garner more favor, especially for a classic and timeless piece like this.