Author Topic: Are people modding their IBM Model Ms???  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Are people modding their IBM Model Ms???
« on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 06:59:16 »
Hello keyboards geeks!

I recently got my first IBM model M (1391401) and already looking for an industrial IBM Model M. I had my fair share of mechanical keyboards in the past and modified a few as well, the electronics or some and the cosmetics on others.

180234-0

I was wondering if people are modifying their IBM Model Ms and if yes, is it restricted to just keycaps?

Final question, does only Unicomp makes keycaps for model Ms. I do not seem to be able to find many options from vendors on Model M keycaps, even though those are hugely popular boards.

Any help and/or info is greatly appreciated!

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: Are people modding their IBM Model Ms???
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 07:27:57 »
No, you cannot.  It is anathema.  If you mod your Legendary Model M, you will be forever shunned.  SHUNNNNNNNNNNUH!!

Eh, on second thought, go right ahead.

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things..."

Offline Thereminz

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 07:40:58 »
Yes some people mod them

Some mods I've seen:

Bolt mod, fixes the problem of the plastic rivets falling off

Floss mod, dampens the click

Painting the case

Some have modded /made it smaller but it's rare

Keycaps/keysets from unicomp and click keys...or clickykeys can't remember  but the only thing different from unicomp they offer is a clear key ...their colors might be more pastel

There are a few rare artisan keycaps as well

Also converters, but not sure if that counts as a mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 08:35:16 »
The floss mod -- if done right -- does not dampen the click but rather the reverberation of the spring. Instead of it twanging, it will sound more similar to a Cherry MX Blue or Alps blue or white but with the feel unchanged.
Too short floss will not make much difference. A too long floss will dampen the click -- both in sound and feel.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 08:45:52 »

I was wondering if people are modifying their IBM Model Ms

There is not a lot to do, but there are the "secret" keys that can be brought out - most of the 2u keys can be divided and by doing it there at least 3-4 additional keys that can be had if you want them. Look at the membranes and you can see which locations have traces going to them.

You would have to do a bolt mod to add pivot plates and springs.

edit:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42546.msg858456#msg858456
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 08:48:22 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 10:08:06 »
Up to now, I have bolt modded mine, since half the plastic rivets were already gone and ordered the red Panic key from Unicomp to use as the Esc key, since it was originally missing on my board.

180242-0

In the future I am only thinking of replacing the springs with new ones, but I have to do some testing or get a very cheap, in bad condition Model M of ebay or recycling centre and refurbish/built from scratch, since the springs on the current one I have are in very good condition.

Finally I am not interested at all in making the Model M quieter as I bought it equally for the clickines/tactile feel as well as its sound when typing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 10:09:42 by Azmodan »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 12:41:46 »
Final question, does only Unicomp makes keycaps for model Ms. I do not seem to be able to find many options from vendors on Model M keycaps, even though those are hugely popular boards.

They don't seem to talk about it but Signature Plastics make caps, at least for the two piece. I have gotten some in a grab bag and I have a blank red and two blank white on the Model F I'm typing on right now. It might be worth contacting them for more info.
REΛLFORCE

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:23:18 »
The most common "mod" (it's more of a repair imo) is to bolt mod it; replace the old rotting plastic rivets on the plate with screws or bolts. This will improve the typing feel and possibly restore functionality to any keys that have been acting up. It also gives you a chance to clean or replace the membrane.

Otherwise you could dental-floss mod it which will reduce the "ping" sound of a Model M but why would you want to do that?

I would like to see Unicomp sell their Ultra Classic case separately so you could can have a real Model M that isn't so hugh-mungus.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 21:58:27 »
Another common mod is an ANSI mod - I'm in the middle of that with my M122.

Also some people put LEDs in strategic places, such as this novel mod.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 22:48:29 »
You could also morph it into a Model F with a quite large amount of effort.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:59:00 »

Change the internal mechanism, change the controller, probably change the case to suit, and you'd be able to convert an M into an F.

But would it be the same keyboard?!?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:23:56 »
These are a the ones I've done. The red one on request from a family member (yes it's crazy red) and the "steampunk" one from a beat up terminal M102.

185720-0

185722-1

Generally apart from cleaning and a screw mod, if needed, I don't mess too much with my Model M's.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:29:09 by OldIsNew »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:19:47 »
These are a the ones I've done. The red one on request from a family member (yes it's crazy red) and the "steampunk" one from a beat up terminal M102.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Generally apart from cleaning and a screw mod, if needed, I don't mess too much with my Model M's.

That steampunk one is brilliant! :D

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 21:11:14 »
There might be something in Phosphorglow's albums that interests you.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 19:16:01 »

Change the internal mechanism, change the controller, probably change the case to suit, and you'd be able to convert an M into an F.

But would it be the same keyboard?!?

I was thinking about that. The Keyboard of Theseus. What makes a keyboard a keyboard? It is the controller? Or the sensing mechanism? Maybe the case. Surely, it's a combination of these, though, since the replacement of only one doesn't make it a new keyboard. At a minimum, the only original parts would be (1) the backplate, (2) the barrel plate, (3) the keys, (4) the keycaps, and (5) the case. I think at that point, one could argue that it is the same keyboard. I'd be one to argue that once you pass below 50% original parts, you're entering new keyboard territory. So with (1) the membrane, (2) the flippers, and (3) the controller replaced to accomplish the Model F mod, it is still clinging onto its original identity.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 19:40:35 »
I'd say mod an M however the heck you want.  Have some fun with this stuff!  At the end of the day, it's just a keyboard, and not an irreplaceable Rembrandt.  And as far as what's possible, the sky is the limit!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:28:52 »
At the end of the day, it's just a keyboard, and not an irreplaceable Rembrandt.

Try telling that to someone with a NOS F Unsaver :p

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:50:41 »
Try telling that to someone with a NOS F Unsaver :p

I wouldn't do anything crazy to one of those because they're so rare.  But there are so many Model Ms out there that the world won't end if someone paints one magenta or BeDazzles it.

(That wouldn't be my design choice.  Though I do have some relatives that would probably love a BeDazzled keyboard.)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 23:23:19 »
I'm doing my first bolt-mod model-m. I think i will also be adding a promicro or teensy to its internals and have a detachable cable port.
-Dana

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 14:07:25 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.