Author Topic: 62g Ergoclear Fan: Closest Gateron Linear Spring when Lubed?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
62g Ergoclear Fan: Closest Gateron Linear Spring when Lubed?
« on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 19:08:14 »
Hello GH,

I have been a 62g Ergoclear fan for some time now. I was going to pick up some Tealios and be done with it, but after seeing the price tag, I had second thoughts.

I recently built a KBD75 with lubed 62g Kalih Speed Switches and I got the sweet, sweet taste of linear switches. Sadly, the shorter throw and high actuation point are not to my liking. Even with the spring being more compressed, 62g in a linear setting feels much lighter than 62g in Ergoclear form.

TLDR: I am trying to replicate the force throughout the key press of my SPRiT 24k 62g Lubed MX Clear, but within a Gateron Switch. Do you think I should go with 65g or 68g springs? With my current board, I didn't take into consideration the tactile bump adding a bit of resistance to each press. Also, the Gateron housing is notoriously looser than a Cherry MX.

I can't decide if I should go substantially heavier 68g or 65g.

Thanks!

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: 62g Ergoclear Fan: Closest Gateron Linear Spring when Lubed?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:53:17 »
I tend to feel like you need to go lighter with linears for the same weight feel as a tactile because the bump kind of release all the built up force and bottoms out the switch where as linears you have to essentially keep pressing harder until you get to the end. Kailh speed silvers arent a great comparison for what a gateron or cherry linear will be like. I also dont think you will see much difference between 68g and 65g springs in the exact same switch.
-Dana

Offline mike-y

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 16:16:36 »
You are looking for Gateron Yellows, my friend.  Gat Yellows are rated at 50g actuation, and are a bit heavier than the browns (45g).  According to my tests, the 62g aftermarket springs actuate between 50-53g, and bottom out at 62g, so they are close. 

I also built a board with 62g MX Clears, and before I did so, I tried the gateron yellows (I have 10 of them) in the mx clear switch.  I actually liked the yellow springs a little better than the 62g.  The yellows spring is more linear and has a slightly different feel than the 62's.  They just have a really nice feel and weight for a linear spring.  If I hadn't already purchased a few bags of the aftermarket springs (62g and 67g),  I would have gotten a set of yellow switches instead and taken the springs for the clears.  I found the 67g too stiff for me, fwiw.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:28:50 »
^ blacks are also 50g just with a slightly different force curve.
-Dana

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 14:22:06 »
Thanks again for the input here. I'm still up in the air. I ordered, received and took apart 100 Gateron Blacks. I have a bag of unused 65g Sprits and 68g Sprits. What do!

I wish someone with experience with both springs could answer more clearly.s

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline mike-y

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:22:21 »
I would try the 65g first.  Just put together 10-15 switches in a plate and see how they feel.  don't build all 100 switches until you've tried both options.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:19:13 »
I would try the 65g first.  Just put together 10-15 switches in a plate and see how they feel.  don't build all 100 switches until you've tried both options.

I really wish I could accurately assess how it'll be.  It usually takes a good hour or two of work before I can determine how I like it.

I'll give this a shot though. Obvious answer but I wasn't planning on doing it :P

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:07:49 »
i like mx black springs in my mx clears, but if you can score some of zeal's new 67g springs those are good as well
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 20:32:35 »
I would recommend looking into Kalih Box Blacks. There was a thread where Quakemz reviewed tealios and compared them to other linear switches. I believe he said that the kalih box blacks had the least wobble and the second best stock smoothness only losing out to the tealios. If you care about LED's though, they are only SMD compatible.