Author Topic: Demount Pro-Micro  (Read 2313 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Demount Pro-Micro
« on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:08:42 »
Hive mind, I put together a gherkin board for ****s and giggles, and I now find one key doesn't work. With the cable on the right, it's the second key from the right, middle row.

I have a feeling it's some careless dremelling cutting through a trace, the problem is it's under the ProMicro which is of course soldered onto the board. I have ordered a 24 pin socket to help debug and fix the trace (if needed) however I have no idea how to take the ProMicro off without going doing more dremmelling. Any advices?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: Demount Pro-Micro
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:35:46 »
You could always do this:
t=6s

I built a macro pad and all but one switch worked and this easily corrected my problem and is pretty easy to do.

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:57:16 »
I think the problem is that the promicro is mounted over the solder points for that key/switch, so it's not possible to get to those traces/points to solder to, without removing the controller first.   Sounds like a lot of desoldering ahead :(

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:13:49 »
I think the problem is that the promicro is mounted over the solder points for that key/switch, so it's not possible to get to those traces/points to solder to, without removing the controller first.   Sounds like a lot of desoldering ahead :(

^this^

EDIT: the only thing I can think of is to cut through the headers with a dremel and hope I don't destroy the board or the controller before I rebuild, and the board can be fixed in its current state. Or just offer it to the gods of failed tinkering and be done.

EDIT2: I get the neatness of placing the controller over the switch but goddamn is it a fragile solution. I've now learned to always use sockets in cases like this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:25:36 by emenelopee »