Author Topic: Doubleshot DSA profile backlight compatible key caps. (in search of)  (Read 6123 times)

Offline MarcWWolfe

• MarcWWolfe twitter
I've googled the **** out of it and can't find any. Please drop a link if you find some.

Offline cdn-mini

Re: Doubleshot DSA profile backlight compatible key caps. (in search of)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 14:59:47 »
MOD EDIT:  Removed insult
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:33:53 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline MarcWWolfe

• MarcWWolfe twitter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 15:30:13 »
MOD EDIT:  Removed insult
Piss off; I type in the dark a lot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:34:03 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:27:44 »
I've never seen/heard of DSA keys with a translucent shot (backlit compatible), only OEM profile: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329 https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1330

I *think* Signature Plastics could manufacturer ones w/ a transparent inner-shot, but I don't know of anyone who has done it yet.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:38:14 »
I own double shot dsa caps that are windowed, but I don't think that is what you want.

183988-0

The 1u caps are double shot gray+transparent. The letters are pad printed.

The multicolored keys are double shot printed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:43:35 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 19:05:08 »
have never actually seen backlit dsa before

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 19:19:47 »
Shine through DSA keycaps.. Maybe if you know someone with a dual extrusion 3d printer and lots of patience; then perhaps shine through dsa could be a thing. The opacity wouldn't be as clear as double shot injection though. Not to my knowledge.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 19:50:50 »
back lighting if pretty g@y unless your 15.
This is what downvotes were invented for

Offline MarcWWolfe

• MarcWWolfe twitter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 21:53:27 »
I've never seen/heard of DSA keys with a translucent shot (backlit compatible), only OEM profile: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329 https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1330

I *think* Signature Plastics could manufacturer ones w/ a transparent inner-shot, but I don't know of anyone who has done it yet.

Well apparently the font is centered so even if they did it, only half the font would be lit well.

Offline MarcWWolfe

• MarcWWolfe twitter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 21:55:14 »
I own double shot dsa caps that are windowed, but I don't think that is what you want.

You're right it's not unfortunately :/

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 22:02:50 »
Shine through DSA keycaps.. Maybe if you know someone with a dual extrusion 3d printer and lots of patience; then perhaps shine through dsa could be a thing. The opacity wouldn't be as clear as double shot injection though. Not to my knowledge.

I have tried 3d printing caps... it is not a good result.

It is fine if you are using it as a mold, but the issue is that the caps are too brittle along the seam lines. Printing them at an angle to stagger the seam lines helps, but produces artifacts and a generally ugly appearance on the top without a lot of sanding. It's not as easy as pressing a button and waiting, get ready for some work.

However, if you are using a stereolithography or DLP 3d printer, your results would be much better. As it is, traditional 3d printers aren't really optimal for the job. However, I did print a set of low profile DSA caps to see if I could, and it worked well enough for me to realize how they actually feel to use, but they turned out to be far too bittle at the stem, and nearly all of them eventually broke.  The solution isn't really to beef anything up either, there are tolerances you have to stay between, so you only can make it so thick in places and still function as intended. I suppose if you used a REALLY fine print nozzle, printed VERY slow, and printed hot, you could better fuse the layers while minimizing warp and sag. However, you would still have a lot of sanding to do regardless.

Basically what I am saying is, it is possible, but the results would be fragile and require a lot of post processing work. It probably isn't worth it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 22:07:22 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 22:26:32 »

I have tried 3d printing caps... it is not a good result.

It is fine if you are using it as a mold, but the issue is that the caps are too brittle along the seam lines. Printing them at an angle to stagger the seam lines helps, but produces artifacts and a generally ugly appearance on the top without a lot of sanding. It's not as easy as pressing a button and waiting, get ready for some work.

However, if you are using a stereolithography or DLP 3d printer, your results would be much better. As it is, traditional 3d printers aren't really optimal for the job. However, I did print a set of low profile DSA caps to see if I could, and it worked well enough for me to realize how they actually feel to use, but they turned out to be far too bittle at the stem, and nearly all of them eventually broke.  The solution isn't really to beef anything up either, there are tolerances you have to stay between, so you only can make it so thick in places and still function as intended. I suppose if you used a REALLY fine print nozzle, printed VERY slow, and printed hot, you could better fuse the layers while minimizing warp and sag. However, you would still have a lot of sanding to do regardless.

Basically what I am saying is, it is possible, but the results would be fragile and require a lot of post processing work. It probably isn't worth it.

I tend to over simplify massive undertakings with words like patience. *shrugs*

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 02:49:19 »

Is that why people want backlighted boards. I always thought it was because they liked to disco dance while they typed.

[singing] Uh-uh, uh-uh / Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

Seriously, though: If you take a little time to get used to typing without looking at your fingers, you can go a lot faster. Then it doesn't matter if you're in the dark, either. And as a bonus, you wouldn't have to track down these (apparently) hard-to-find keys. I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline MarcWWolfe

• MarcWWolfe twitter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 11:15:49 »

Is that why people want backlighted boards. I always thought it was because they liked to disco dance while they typed.

[singing] Uh-uh, uh-uh / Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

Seriously, though: If you take a little time to get used to typing without looking at your fingers, you can go a lot faster. Then it doesn't matter if you're in the dark, either. And as a bonus, you wouldn't have to track down these (apparently) hard-to-find keys. I'm just saying.

You have any idea how long that can take? I've only owned a PC for about 2 years now. The most typing I do is social media posts. I have gotten into the non standard typing habit of resting/hiding my left thumb on the front of the keyboard which is improving my muscle memory. I am working on that.
The problem is, I eventually plan to make more to sell, and want it to be easy for the customer to swap key caps when they remap the keys. I don't expect everybody to be touch typist like OLKB does with most of their preonics and plancks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:33:53 »
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/keycaps-101/#12

FAQ number 12.  Wouldn't hurt to ask.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ