Author Topic: Oobly builds an ergo board!  (Read 65645 times)

Offline plainbriny

Re: Oobly builds an ergo board!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 21:33:19 »
Such craftsmanship is beyond my ability right now, but I think I might follow this and build my own ergo keyboard someday...

Offline banditsf

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 19:14:29 »
Totally rockin!
Cheers

Offline philpirj

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 06:05:19 »
I'm periodically polling this topic for news. How is it going with your keyboard?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 02:25:29 »
I'm periodically polling this topic for news. How is it going with your keyboard?

Development is on hold for the moment, I'm afraid. Lots of "real life" keeping me busy, so not much project time. The keyboard is in daily use on my home PC and does the job very well. I do still plan to build a "Mark II" version (either from curved acrylic or with flat steel plates like the first one and wooden cases) with a controller in each side, but it has to wait a little until I get more time for keyboard projects.

The reason for having a controller in each side is that either can be used on its own as a game controller or one-handed keyboard. At startup the firmware checks if the USB bus has been configured (that there is a host present) and if not, goes into I2C (master) mode. If there is a USB host it goes into "combined" mode (I2C slave mode + scanning local key matrix + handling USB). So either side can be connected to the PC and then simply linked to the other via 4-core cable (RJ11).

I think steel is the best plate material, although aluminium could work for plates this size if it's the right alloy and acrylic / perspex works well enough, too, but the thicknes requires the switches to be glued in place.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bearcat

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 02:52:13 »
I should totally have used RJ11 connectors.  Glad to hear you're still alive!

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 14:46:48 »

Development is on hold for the moment, I'm afraid. Lots of "real life" keeping me busy, so not much project time. The keyboard is in daily use on my home PC and does the job very well. I do still plan to build a "Mark II" version (either from curved acrylic or with flat steel plates like the first one and wooden cases) with a controller in each side, but it has to wait a little until I get more time for keyboard projects.

The reason for having a controller in each side is that either can be used on its own as a game controller or one-handed keyboard. At startup the firmware checks if the USB bus has been configured (that there is a host present) and if not, goes into I2C (master) mode. If there is a USB host it goes into "combined" mode (I2C slave mode + scanning local key matrix + handling USB). So either side can be connected to the PC and then simply linked to the other via 4-core cable (RJ11).

I think steel is the best plate material, although aluminium could work for plates this size if it's the right alloy and acrylic / perspex works well enough, too, but the thicknes requires the switches to be glued in place.

I'm curious, why do you have the USB side going into slave mode?

Also, as bearcat said it's good to see you're still around :D

Offline PrepFast17

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:10:26 »
that is a sweet board, i had something like that in mind. i know nothing about putting that together or where to start! someday you have to add joystick to it and make a gaming version

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 05:27:37 »

I'm curious, why do you have the USB side going into slave mode?

Also, as bearcat said it's good to see you're still around :D

Just thought I'd post a heads-up. The design of prototype number 2 is progressing (slowly). It'll use acrylic for the main structure and plate. I'm experimenting with bending methods and a novel "minimalist" design and assembly method. I am also trying out built-in wrist rests and seeing how much it affects the portability. I'll be getting PCB's made for it, too.

The USB side goes into i2c slave mode to "listen" to the signals from the side in master mode sending the key down/up events. I still need to experiment with this to see if the processor can handle everything it needs to be doing and still have fast enough response. I'd like to keep the time from actuation of the switch to sending the USB packet to under 2ms, depending on how I implement debounce. Initially the next prototype controller will only use 6KRO, but I may extend it to NKRO if there is enough processing capability remaining to support it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:36:48 »
sweet

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:04:31 »
Unlurking just to commend you on your project. It's simply.. amazing.
How difficult would it be to make such a keyboard, for someone who has little to no clue as to the programming/electronics side of things?
Would definitely love instructions/kit to make something similar.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:59:17 »
Hi, may i know what did u use to make the metal casing for the ergo?

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:45:38 »
I think I'm inspired enough by this that I won't rest easy until I've tailor made my own, lmao.
What do you guys think of mounting the keypads on some movable arms that you can lock into place? With the option to easily remove them of course.

Offline nacitar

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:26:05 »
I'm curious what angles/rotation you ultimately arrived at for the thumb cluster relative to the main board... how far down, how rotated on each axis, etc...

Offline krazyderek

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:08:10 »
I'm curious what angles/rotation you ultimately arrived at for the thumb cluster relative to the main board... how far down, how rotated on each axis, etc...

dido, any details would be good to compare with
(Building) Dactyl 5x6 (pro purple)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent reds)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent browns)
Truly Ergonomic 207/209 (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Contour Classic (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Maxim

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 14:33:04 »
forgot to ask you, what did you use to cut the Ducky plate? That seems like pretty accurate cutting; something I haven't yet done with my own dremel and cutting wheels.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline mikedpitt420

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 02:01:30 »
Would it be possible to 3d scan this so it could be more easily reproduced? I'm in love! Nice work dude!

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 18:19:28 »
absolutely epic build! oobly keep up the good work!
|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline Phenix

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 04:52:24 »
just awesome. Is it possible to buy one from you?
Winter is coming.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:24:35 »
this is extremely cool Oobly!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline timofonic

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 00:01:33 »
This is interesting!

I'm a ModelM lover, not sure if mechanical switches would be for me :(

I'll open a thread of find a suitable one, but writing it to not forget it: I want to buy a big comfortable and robust armchair for computing, studying and electronics stuff (going to ask when I have the money). The main issue would be if I would adapt to a splitted keyboard like that IBM one, plus having it in a stable way and my CST L-TrackX there too.