Author Topic: Identify a keyboard/keyboard manufacturer American Research Corporation  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Azrael

Hi everyone,

Im sort of new here, Im a guy from Germany and collect keyboards. Heard this is a great place to meet other ones who are into this topic, so here I am :)

My latest acquisition is giving me a few problems currently. This may sound stupid, but I cannot even identify who the manufacturer is/was, I hope you can help me out on this one:

Logo:
http://s05.trixum.de/upload2/n/h/nhlvAy75VNBR130729235752P1546.jpg

Full view:
http://s04.trixum.de/upload2/2/Y/2YQXjfuTbPEM130729253351P1546.jpg

The name of the Company is American Research Corporation.
Usually even when the company is out of business for decades its not that hard to find the manufacturer, but in this case Im a little lost, hope anyone can tell me somthing about this beautiful keyboard or the company that made it.

Take care,
Azrael

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Identify a keyboard/keyboard manufacturer American Research Corporation
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 12:46:45 »
It's likely some small PC builder who slapped their logo sticker on a board bought elsewhere.  If you can find a FCC ID number on the board anywhere, that can often be further researched.  You may also be able to narrow it downn by looking for markings on the PCB or switches.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 08:36:45 »
Thanks for the answers guys.
Ripster, I'm currently not at home but I can tell you that its blue alps keys if it helps you, had a look yesterday after I wrote this.

Hak Foo, thanks, I will look for the FCC ID number and let you know

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 08:44:44 »
Reminds me of this

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/bios_exp.html

Maybe not exactly the same. If there's any sort of FCC ID, that would help to determine what exactly it is. Also, try taking the thing apart, often the OEMs printed details on the PCB.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 08:53:35 »
Ripster, I flew over the thread, and think I could build something like it if necessary. I just dont see how this could help me in this case?!

ch_123, thanks for letting me know. I remember I saw some kind of serial number, didnt thought it would be helpful, but I will let you guys know when I get home again in a few hours.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 08:56:00 »
It depends on what markings are on the back. It may just have a serial number, which isn't any help. If it has "FCC" followed by a number, then that number can determine who made it.

Opening it up is arguably a  more useful indicator.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 09:02:39 »
I thought about Hak Foo's words again. I already thought that there is a chance this might be some kind of sticker. But it did look so original. If I could remove the label with a knife, it might be able to see the original logo...or find out that I damaged a unique keyboard :/

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 09:05:15 »
That's very unlikely, OEMs would make them without any branding, and whoever bought them would put their logos on them.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 09:28:38 »
thanks for pointing it out. I will look for that number, and/or see how I can open the keyboard from the back. Im not in much mood of taking all the keys off for this though. I will let yoau guys know what I find out and post pics if useful.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 12:02:39 »
okay, I got it, although Im pretty much positive that my gf will kill me if she sees all the screws on the floor ^^

http://s03.trixum.de/upload2/P/n/Pnj6bF0kAQZE130737927926P1546.jpg
http://s05.trixum.de/upload2/W/s/WsqDjSy3zEIF130737928111P1546.jpg

Interesting enough, on the upper left corner of the first pic, you can see the logo on the inside of the plastic. Notice that this is not a shining-thru logo from the outside (wrong side). If you look at it from the outside you only see sleek plastic.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 June 2011, 12:19:29 »
Ah, Focus. They're a well regarded Taiwanese (I think) manufacturer of Alps boards. Most well known for their FK-2001 and FK-5001 keyboards.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 03:13:49 »
thanks for your thoughts guys, next time I want to know a brand, I will simply open the keyboard :)
Still, I haven't understood why this keyboard is labeled with American Research Corporation. Is that the company that ordered a stack of keyboards with own branding from Focus?