Author Topic: Post your GH60!  (Read 120346 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Post your GH60!
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:40:56 »
Finished my prototype build today. Ordered a 1.5-mod stainless steel plate from The_Beast, sanded it, and painted it satin black. Installed it with Cherry plate mount stabs and PCB mount browns in a jdcarpurple treble318 alu case. Added Cherry black on beige keycaps. Here is the end result.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Post your GH60!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:45:43 »
Show off :P

Nice tho.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:46:20 »
Love that purple color

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:54:43 »
Nice keyboard!!!! I WANT ONE TOO :(
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:23:08 »
I like... I like. Looks nice JDCarpe. Is your favorite color purple?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:27:52 »
The hates

I haz them
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:30:54 »
Pretty rad! Nice work jdcarpe :)

Surprised you didn't go for the short right shift you've mentioned a couple times, I'm assuming this is because no plates with that layout are available yet?

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
Post your GH60!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:34:02 »
Awesome job! I really like that purple case! With this case and the toxic set it would be unstoppable. Good work!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:00:20 »
Pretty rad! Nice work jdcarpe :)

Surprised you didn't go for the short right shift you've mentioned a couple times, I'm assuming this is because no plates with that layout are available yet?

Once the production boards are made, I'll be using the HHKB layout, most likely. I just wanted to get a quick and dirty plate on this, so I didn't have to deal with PCB flex anymore. The plate design is not perfect for this prototype board, but it works well enough for its intended purpose. There are 11 switches in this layout that are rotated 90 degrees. The switches fit into the holes in the plate, and mount to the PCB just fine, but the holes for the switch housing pins which allow you to open the switch without desoldering it are on the wrong sides of the switch. I don't often need to open my switches to swap springs/stems, so it's not a big deal to me for this prototype board.

Bottom line: it looks good, and the PCB flex is eliminated.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Viz

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:56:11 »
Damn JD, that looks sweet as hell.
Great to see what komar and the rest of the crew has accomplished!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:19:00 »
Want this soooooo bad.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:20:07 »
Want this soooooo bad.

Agreed. I'm thinking more and more that this will be my first 60% board and my first foray DIY boards.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:20:46 »
Want this soooooo bad.

Agreed. I'm thinking more and more that this will be my first 60% board and my first foray DIY boards.

You'll love both bro

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:27:32 »
Want this soooooo bad.

You'll love both bro

It's the beginning of the end isn't it? First the GH60, then I'm elbow deep in a KMAC, then I become Profosist-esque. Just a beast at soldering and assembling boards.  :p

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:28:26 »
Want this soooooo bad.

You'll love both bro

It's the beginning of the end isn't it? First the GH60, then I'm elbow deep in a KMAC, then I become Profosist-esque. Just a beast at soldering and assembling boards.  :p

Depends, you may like the GH60 so much, you may stop looking for boards all together

or run out of money

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:30:07 »
Does anyone know if a price has been mentioned for the GH60? I'm eagerly awaiting the Phantom round 2 and this is looking might fine and extremely tempting :P
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Post your GH60!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:35:00 »
The GB will probably begin in a few weeks. Price should be comparable to Phantom.

in memoriam

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:36:06 »
Ahhh cool. Might just grab the PCB and controller when I can and try to save my wallet for now by gettin the rest later.
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:38:21 »
Yeah, understandable. FWIW, the controller and SMD diodes/components will be pre-soldered to the board at the fab, so no need to worry on that front. Just need some PCB mount switches and someone's spare stock Poker case, and you're GTG.

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:34:10 »
GH60 with plate and case? so jealous of that.

though i may end up loving the ergodox more, my poker is my favorite keyboard now, even more than the HHKB, i don't use anything else. I just wish i had a plate and case; might as well wait til GH60.

i want to make a MX-HHKB, maybe even we can get a HHKB plate made :D perfect travel board for my extended trips.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Post your GH60!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:36:35 »

though i may end up loving the ergodox more, my poker is my favorite keyboard now, even more than the HHKB, i don't use anything else. I just wish i had a plate and case; might as well wait til GH60.

i want to make a MX-HHKB, maybe even we can get a HHKB plate made :D perfect travel board for my extended trips.

Have you seen WFD's alu case and integrated plate? HHKB layout will be an option with that case.

in memoriam

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:48:15 »
Yeah, understandable. FWIW, the controller and SMD diodes/components will be pre-soldered to the board at the fab, so no need to worry on that front. Just need some PCB mount switches and someone's spare stock Poker case, and you're GTG.

Oh even better! I really need to read through more of the GH60 threads hahaha

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:57:50 »

Have you seen WFD's alu case and integrated plate? HHKB layout will be an option with that case.

i saw, my wallet is ready :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 02:02:14 »
I love how nobody else has posted their GH60's

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:21:38 »
I still neet to assemble mine...
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 11:47:08 »
dirge should post his!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 11:51:03 »
^ Agree. dirge built a GH60 with ISO layout that looks really nice. He used some handmade blocks to cover the winkey positions, which to me is a cool idea.

in memoriam

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 12:09:21 »
I love how nobody else has posted their GH60's

This thread will just be a discussion thread for a while. Very few have a GH60 prototype right now. Only a handful of people  ^-^
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 12:12:44 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline dirge

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:14:10 »
Just seen this thread, love the gh60, MASSIVE thanks to komar.  Mate you're a ****ing legend.  Owe you a drink!

Used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180724932018 leather spray to colour the case.  Dries in 15mins, I'm quite happy with the stuff.  Can't say how durable etc but its made for spraying on leather shoes to change their colour, so must be a little durable.

The windows keys were made by taking two pcb mount switches and removing the tops, the gold contacts and using some flush cutters to remove the plastic from around the top.  Then some squares of acrylic also sprayed.

Cherry sticker to finish off and it doesn't look too bad.  It's got blue switches with o-rings and switch stickers.

Also thanks to mm87 for the new case, I'll be using it when the groupbuy board drops in :) also the The_Beast who's been real helpful!

jdcarpe, very nice! no unicorn vomit! classy :) (we need to get you a shift mind bud)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:16:34 »
What did I do again? lol

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:43:35 »
Great mod dirge! 1.5x Winkeyless ISO is very unique.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:47:16 »
What did I do again? lol

You did the dishes... er, plates!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:29:56 »
Oh wow, amazing mod dirge. That has to be the first 60% ISO board, let alone Winkeyless! Classy as hell.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:29:40 »
Apple beat dirge by almost 30 years lol as there are some versions of the Mac 128k keyboard in ISO. Definitely a nice build though dirge, top notch.

Though I am not sure if that was the first either, but certainly much before.

I can't wait to get my GH60 finished, as soon as WFD finishes up all those pesky diodes for me.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:33:59 »
Apple beat dirge by almost 30 years lol as there are some versions of the Mac 128k keyboard in ISO. Definitely a nice build though dirge, top notch.

Show Image

Though I am not sure if that was the first either, but certainly much before.

I can't wait to get my GH60 finished, as soon as WFD finishes up all those pesky diodes for me.

That's a cute little keyboard. Well dirge's can be the first modern 60% ISO WKL board :)

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline dirge

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 05:28:41 »
Thanks very much guys :)
I've had an eBay watch on those apple boards for ages now. They don't come up often and are expensive...
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 05:33:30 »
Just seen this thread, love the gh60, MASSIVE thanks to komar.  Mate you're a ****ing legend.  Owe you a drink!

Used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180724932018 leather spray to colour the case.  Dries in 15mins, I'm quite happy with the stuff.  Can't say how durable etc but its made for spraying on leather shoes to change their colour, so must be a little durable.

The windows keys were made by taking two pcb mount switches and removing the tops, the gold contacts and using some flush cutters to remove the plastic from around the top.  Then some squares of acrylic also sprayed.

Cherry sticker to finish off and it doesn't look too bad.  It's got blue switches with o-rings and switch stickers.

Also thanks to mm87 for the new case, I'll be using it when the groupbuy board drops in :) also the The_Beast who's been real helpful!

jdcarpe, very nice! no unicorn vomit! classy :) (we need to get you a shift mind bud)

Looks great! :)
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:55:44 »
Teaser!

It took me 5 days, two donor boards, and three soldering irons. But all this mess, was for something!!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:58:11 »
Dirge...I think that's the first ISO layout board I've really like. That's real sharp. Is that a WYSE keycap set?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:23:02 »
I've always thought ISO looked dumb, but damn that one looks great. Would there be a way to have ISO but a longer left shift like a ANSI board?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:34:09 »
K done with pics, I shall call it.... The Das60

Yes the GH60 is sitting ontop of my Das in the first pic :))

also, DEM GHETTO KEYS. Someone used plate mount switches without a plate :x

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:34:40 »
for those that have no windows key ... how do you navigate to the 2nd layer?  How is your 2nd layer set up?

CapsLock key!!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:49:05 »
I've always thought ISO looked dumb, but damn that one looks great. Would there be a way to have ISO but a longer left shift like a ANSI board?
You mean like Cherry POS boards?

I don't see why not, the pcb mount options are possible.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 22:23:51 »
K done with pics, I shall call it.... The Das60

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Yes the GH60 is sitting ontop of my Das in the first pic :))

also, DEM GHETTO KEYS. Someone used plate mount switches without a plate :x

Cant be that bad, can it?

Nice Das btw.
SmallFry! <3

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 22:25:34 »
You mean like Cherry POS boards?
Show Image

I don't see why not, the pcb mount options are possible.

That would be perfect. I almost never use the \| key

Offline dirge

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 03:24:53 »
Dirge...I think that's the first ISO layout board I've really like. That's real sharp. Is that a WYSE keycap set?

Authentic Cherry set mate.  Doubleshot, didn't break the dyesubs out yet  :cool:

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 05:42:35 »
No fancy stuff here (except for imsto's thick PBTs, of course). I can't prove its not a poker. You have to believe it's GH60 next to a prototype of the upcoming GHPad;)

12702-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2013, 05:50:06 by komar007 »
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 05:52:10 »
No fancy stuff here (except for imsto's thick PBTs, of course). I can't prove its not a poker. You have to believe it's GH60 next to a prototype of the upcoming GHPad;)

(Attachment Link)
wow. i love the color scheme and the layout.. i mean it :)

where did you get that set ?
( btw nice board )
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 06:01:16 »

(Attachment Link)
wow. i love the color scheme and the layout.. i mean it :)

where did you get that set ?
( btw nice board )

Looks like imsto. :p
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 06:02:03 »
Thanks, I bought it from imsto.

EDIT: too late.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard