Author Topic: TextBlade Portable Keyboard  (Read 53075 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: TextBlade Portable Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:04:22 »
What if I don't have small fingers?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:23:57 »
They’ve filed a bunch of patents if someone wants to go do the research to figure out how these things work.

metalliqaz has the right idea though. The separate parts obviously have little gold contacts that get snapped into alignment with magnets.

Here's the clearest picture I can find of the edges of the parts where they connect:
Show Image

Looks like only 2 contacts per side that connect to the "spacebar" and another 2 between the sides, unless I'm missing something. That makes it possible (just) to use single wire signalling to communicate between each side and the main unit (2 power connections to main unit, 2 power connections between units, 1 communication line to each unit).

Power could run as a loop with (+) from space unit to left unit, then to right unit, then back to space unit to (-).

That leaves more pins for signaling, but they probably need one-way serial lines anyway. Left unit to space unit (1 pin) and right unit to space unit (1 pin). In this case, only one contact from left unit to right unit would be needed (power), so there's maybe something more, or one of the magnets to attach the left unit to the right unit is not used for signaling, it's just there for better stability.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:55:28 »
If sby wants to organize a 6-pack, I'd be in.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:23:05 »
Hardly seems worth it.  Savings of $16.5 but then you have to pay for extra shipping.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:35:56 »
I raise you guys, the 4 key keyboard!

http://kee4.com/

Offline smferris

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 20:21:16 »
I've been debating getting a bluetooth keyboard for a while and the TextBlade was intriguing enough that I was finally willing to pull the trigger on buying one.

It'll also get me something new to play with while I'm waiting for the Axios and keyboard.io to go into production.  :)

Offline ypsilon.takai

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 07:04:38 »
They’ve filed a bunch of patents if someone wants to go do the research to figure out how these things work.

metalliqaz has the right idea though. The separate parts obviously have little gold contacts that get snapped into alignment with magnets.

Here's the clearest picture I can find of the edges of the parts where they connect:
Show Image

Looks like only 2 contacts per side that connect to the "spacebar" and another 2 between the sides, unless I'm missing something. That makes it possible (just) to use single wire signalling to communicate between each side and the main unit (2 power connections to main unit, 2 power connections between units, 1 communication line to each unit).

Power could run as a loop with (+) from space unit to left unit, then to right unit, then back to space unit to (-).

That leaves more pins for signaling, but they probably need one-way serial lines anyway. Left unit to space unit (1 pin) and right unit to space unit (1 pin). In this case, only one contact from left unit to right unit would be needed (power), so there's maybe something more, or one of the magnets to attach the left unit to the right unit is not used for signaling, it's just there for better stability.

In one of their patent document (US patent 8,896,539) which we can view on their site, we can see the description about communication between a spacebar blade and two keyboard blades.

"In addition to forming the power path, the magnetic interconnection also forms the signaling path by which data is passed from each key array to the spacebar 106 for transmission to a recipient device. By electronically disconnecting power, the same path may momentarily be used to transmit data back and forth, without additional connections. This data may include keyboard array data, such as key press events and the values associated therewith for interpretation by a processor (not shown in this figure) within the spacebar. "

The two cotacts on the battery blade (106) and one keyboard blade are used for both power supply and signaling. But not like telephone line, they time-share the connection. Charge a capacitor in tha keyborad blade at first period, then transfer uplink and downlink data at following two periods, according to following descriptino on the patent document.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 01:50:16 »

Show Image

In one of their patent document (US patent 8,896,539) which we can view on their site, we can see the description about communication between a spacebar blade and two keyboard blades.

"In addition to forming the power path, the magnetic interconnection also forms the signaling path by which data is passed from each key array to the spacebar 106 for transmission to a recipient device. By electronically disconnecting power, the same path may momentarily be used to transmit data back and forth, without additional connections. This data may include keyboard array data, such as key press events and the values associated therewith for interpretation by a processor (not shown in this figure) within the spacebar. "

The two cotacts on the battery blade (106) and one keyboard blade are used for both power supply and signaling. But not like telephone line, they time-share the connection. Charge a capacitor in tha keyborad blade at first period, then transfer uplink and downlink data at following two periods, according to following descriptino on the patent document.

OK... Why not. They must have a really good reason to do that, because it increases the complexity of the electronics just to save one electrical contact per side.

Or they don't have any good reason to do it, but they have figured out that nobody has ever got a patent on using the power path for signaling. As mobile devices become increasingly dominant, they know that somebody will need to do this some day. This is typically a patent you would expect to be owned, or at least used, by Apple. By patenting this AND using it in their devices, they create a potential source of royalties down the road.

I guess it's not too far fetched to imagine that Apple could use the technology for a smart cover that doubles as a keyboard. The iPad's smart cover already uses magnets to attach to the iPad, and having just two contacts to manage both power and signaling could be advantageous.

Maybe I'm going too far, but we see so many strange tactics in the technology sector... :)

Thanks for digging out the info. That's interesting.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 21:38:06 »
Microsoft's new portable keyboard:  http://blogs.microsoft.com/firehose/2015/03/02/get-more-done-anywhere-anytime-on-virtually-any-device-with-the-new-universal-foldable-keyboard/

Not really in the same size class but they have done a good job with their surface keyboards so this will probably be a superior typing experience for the same price.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2015, 21:40:56 by metalliqaz »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 22:26:15 »
Microsoft's new portable keyboard: [...]
There’s a thread over here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69498

Offline BurgerBum

• Location: Portland, where we're a mixture of the 60's 90's pie... mm... pie.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 23:30:48 »
they're people who believe an ipad is a good item a student can use for education............

*staring blankly, dumbfounded*

im not saying ipads are dumb. they have their place.
that place is not school. school is the place for super cheap laptops/notebooks with linux distros on them. (also the chromebook already has a keyboard.... *shrug* )

i have an issue with most chicklet keys, software controlled multi-key=1key kinda setups and the whole idea of a keybaord in your pocket NOT getting screwed up eventually. (also, magnets... dont want that neer my phone, so now if i had this 3 of my two pockets are taken up, i dont wanna need to carry around my purse anymore. T^T )

anyway, looks cool, i wouldnt buy it just because i have this gut feeling its gonna crash and burn like alot of kickstarter projects. *shrugs* oh well.
neat idea tho. :D

Offline ThatRusty

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:02:25 »
I'd definitely be interested in this! I love how small it is, yet still seems totally useable. I'll be eagerly awaiting you early adopters reviews!
Current Build - ErgoMini

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 06:27:27 »
This could be a winner or a complete scam.   No open reviews prior to Sale is a bit concerning as is the lack of pre-planning for keys and configurations.   The 3 year warranty and promises of upgrades are only good if they survive the first year.

That said,  if this is a quality build then it is a must have for any geek on the planet.   The concept is brilliant.   Execution to be determined.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:08:16 »
they're people who believe an ipad is a good item a student can use for education............

*staring blankly, dumbfounded*

im not saying ipads are dumb. they have their place.
that place is not school. school is the place for super cheap laptops/notebooks with linux distros on them. (also the chromebook already has a keyboard.... *shrug* )

i have an issue with most chicklet keys, software controlled multi-key=1key kinda setups and the whole idea of a keybaord in your pocket NOT getting screwed up eventually. (also, magnets... dont want that neer my phone, so now if i had this 3 of my two pockets are taken up, i dont wanna need to carry around my purse anymore. T^T )

anyway, looks cool, i wouldnt buy it just because i have this gut feeling its gonna crash and burn like alot of kickstarter projects. *shrugs* oh well.
neat idea tho. :D

What is the rational reason for not wanting a magnet near your phone? You fear it will erase its internal DOS 3.2 boot floppy disk?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 10:22:59 »
Phones haven't used any kind of magnetic storage medium since... well.... um..... never?

Offline pnutster

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 10:30:52 »
I am pretty sure there were magnets in the rotary phones!!   :p
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 18:14:18 »
Phones haven't used any kind of magnetic storage medium since... well.... um..... never?

Yes and get this: there are sometimes several strong magnets inside the phone itself! :)

I think this is still related to this fear of erasing a hard drive with a magnet, which is actually impossible (or you would have to use a magnet so powerful it would actually be dangerous for you as well).

A good reason for not putting the phone and the TextBlade in the same pocket is that you could scratch the back of the phone with the folded keyboard. Maybe you could not even scratch the screen itself, but the back of the phone, certainly.

For this reason I put my phone in a front pocket where it is alone. My other front pocket is for my wallet, coins, and a very small (foldable) ball pen. I can see the TextBlade going to the wallet's pocket. Or maybe in my shirt's pocket.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 04:36:35 »
Actually, a number of phone covers / accessories use quite powerful magnets.

The only components I can see being affected / damaged by magnets would be any sensors that use Hall effect (definitely compass sensor, possibly some accelerometer or gyroscope sensors) or use magnetism for detecting if a cover is open / closed or stylus is docked, etc.

A moving magnet can induce current / interference, but probably not enough to damage anything. I would still be just a little wary of really strong magnets right up close to my phone, purely due to possible compass sensor errors / calibration.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:21:40 »
Can't escape the fact that the keyboard and its magnets are not tied or hooked up to your phone. The phone will be sitting in a cradle far from the magnets...
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:35:48 »
Not only that, but even if the magnets are fairly strong, the range of the field is probably pretty short. So I can't imagine it really having any kind of conflict during actual use.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 21:29:18 »
I have just noticed that the shipping date has been delayed again. By 5 days this time.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 00:09:54 »
I just noticed on their forum that paranoia seems to be building up in both the customers and... Waytools or at least in someone at Waytools.

I don't see the malicious intent in the first post in this thread:
  https://forum.waytools.com/t/order-delayed-four-times-now-no-explanation-provided-on-blog-twitter-etc/295

I just see a frustrated customer with a little bit of exaggeration on his/her part. Not a post that deserves to be treated as they did.

I'm cross-posting from here to there and back so the WayTool employee posting in the forum can check that I am real and that I am a genuine keyboard enthusiast with no agenda, just in case.

It must be very stressing for them at this time, and it shows.

I trust they are doing their best anyway and that the product will be great.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 02:23:36 »
Sometimes good engineering is paired with poor communication. A lot of engineers are just like that. Which is why a company should employ someone who's good at communication and understands the engineering side for customer relations (to create a useful link between the customer and production / engineering team). It's easy enough to find someone with either of those skills, but not so easy to find someone with both.

While I find this product interesting, I won't be purchasing one, at least until I've seen some GHer reviews :) It just doesn't fit my own use cases that well (mostly I need a portable keyboard when traveling and using my lap for a surface).

They do seem to have really put some thought into the layout and design, though and I wish them best of luck with it. It's rare that a company puts so much thought into a keyboard design.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 06:32:00 »
I just noticed on their forum that paranoia seems to be building up in both the customers and... Waytools or at least in someone at Waytools.

https://forum.waytools.com/t/order-delayed-four-times-now-no-explanation-provided-on-blog-twitter-etc/295

I just see a frustrated customer with a little bit of exaggeration on his/her part. Not a post that deserves to be treated as they did.

I'm cross-posting from here to there and back so the WayTool employee posting in the forum can check that I am real and that I am a genuine keyboard enthusiast with no agenda, just in case.

I think they are being overly defensive because they seem to think everyone questioning what is going on is some shill for what I can only assume is another product out there? I haven't read much in their forums lately but maybe they have a competitor who they are trying to beat to the punch.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:56:57 »
Yeah, I was thinking about buying one of these when I get my keyboard allowance next month (yes, my wife and I have allowances for my hobbies and her home decorating).  However, seeing how that forum is going, it really makes you wonder if they will be around long enough to even deliver the product!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:19:06 »

I think they are being overly defensive because they seem to think everyone questioning what is going on is some shill for what I can only assume is another product out there? I haven't read much in their forums lately but maybe they have a competitor who they are trying to beat to the punch.

As far as I know, no, there isn't any competition for the TextBlade.

From the thread where I have posted, the guy seems to imagine that a keyboard manufacturer or reseller with lots of stock is afraid of the TextBlade and would try to FUD away WayTools customers.

I think this guy has paranoid tendencies, only made worse by the stress.

Depending on who he is, in the hierarchy, this can mean serious issues going forward for the company. This is why I'm trying to learn who he is.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:45:53 »
I suspect their company probably has between 3 and 8 employees.  The guy taking care of the forums is probably just the same guy that they hired to run the website.  Honestly, that would explain his bizarre communication style.  The company is going through it's most difficult phase right now and he's probably really feeling the stress.  The business climate is very harsh and full of dirty tricks, back-stabbing, and corruption.  All small businesses go through a period where it seems like everyone is against them.

Wait until the users have them in hand and start complaining about breakage, connectivity problems, and the like.  Given its size and the software integration that has to happen for it to work right, there's plenty that can go wrong.  Imagine the mood in the forums then!  If they find any success they will probably very quickly realize that they need a dedicated community manager.

My prediction?  The product will ship a few months late, the first batch will work but have issues, and they will really get things settled around August.  The product probably won't make the splash they hope it will, and will be mostly forgotten like those cool-looking-but-not-practical projection keyboards.

I truly hope I'm wrong.  It really looks like a cool little gadget.  However, the way that they featured the product in macrumors, and will take orders on the website without making it clear that it's a preorder really worries me. I'm not holding my breath.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:02:23 »
My prediction?  The product will ship a few months late, the first batch will work but have issues, and they will really get things settled around August.  The product probably won't make the splash they hope it will, and will be mostly forgotten like those cool-looking-but-not-practical projection keyboards.
Luckily, this prediction works for every new non-standard keyboard design, without even knowing anything about the specifics. Even the “successful” ones like the Fingerworks Touchstream or the DataHand basically fit this pattern if you look back at them from a decade or two later.

Still, I think the TextBlade could be a nice little device for many people who otherwise would be stuck typing on a phone screen, because it’s small enough they can carry it without noticing the extra size/weight.

I suspect their company probably has between 3 and 8 employees.  The guy taking care of the forums is probably just the same guy that they hired to run the website.  Honestly, that would explain his bizarre communication style.  The company is going through it's most difficult phase right now and he's probably really feeling the stress.
I’m guessing the guy is a hardware engineer. And yeah, he’s probably under crazy stress with too many things to do every day.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:05:35 by jacobolus »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:24:15 »
Looks cool, but probably the typing feeling is no better than regular laptop keyboards.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Yearl75

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:17:28 »
Show Image

got a few more weeks to go

My estimated delivery date is March 16, but I would not be surprised that you receive yours first due to spotty postal service here.

But who knows... This internet page could be totally fake, and nothing is actually being built! :)

I too have placed an order for a TextBlade, only for the delivery date to shift month on month since my original order was placed back in February. It is not the end of March and I was expecting my TextBlade to be delivered on the 5th April. I recently checked my order status only to find that my delivery date has been shifted to the end of May.

I just wondered if yours arrived on the 24th March as per your posted screen shot.

If you could let me know I would be much obliged.   
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:33:49 by Yearl75 »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:37:32 »
Show Image

got a few more weeks to go

My estimated delivery date is March 16, but I would not be surprised that you receive yours first due to spotty postal service here.

But who knows... This internet page could be totally fake, and nothing is actually being built! :)

I too have placed an order for a TextBlade, only for the delivery date to shift month on month since my original order was placed back in February. It is not the end of March and I was expecting my TextBlade to be delivered on the 5th April. I recently checked my order status only to find that my delivery date has been shifted to the end of May.

I just wondered if yours arrived on the 24th March as per your posted screen shot.

If you could let me know I would be much obliged.

They are still building their production line, so no TextBlade has been shipped yet.

They have shown prototypes to the public, that were probably hand-built, and the event has been taped. You can find it on their site:
  https://waytools.com/hands-on

From what I can see, the TextBlade is real and has been in test for a long time (it looks that they have started prototyping it 3 years ago).

There is an explanation on their web site about the delay, which comes from the fact that they have adopted a new robotic manufacturing process for a key mechanical part:
  https://waytools.com/threads/blog/robotic-butterfly-mold

My order shipping date has been pushed back to April 30th.

I expect more delays and would be surprised to receive my units (I have ordered 2) before June.

Don't hold your breath, do something else, enjoy life. My bet is that this will be a very interesting product anyway.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:44:20 by spiceBar »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 13:32:30 »
TBH, I keep forgetting I ordered this thing. Which means when it finally shows up it'll probably be a pleasant surprise.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:57:46 »
I'm waiting for some reviews.  That it can do anything/everything and it will arrive any day now response when combined with the asberger type responses on their forum don't create huge chunks of confidence in their ability to deliver.   The ideas seem super cool but the responses and behavoiurs are borderline autistic.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 17:02:35 »
I'm waiting for some reviews.  That it can do anything/everything and it will arrive any day now response when combined with the asberger type responses on their forum don't create huge chunks of confidence in their ability to deliver.   The ideas seem super cool but the responses and behavoiurs are borderline autistic.

Autistic conveys the idea on the difficulty they have to answer; but, it may be offensive for the people that have someone with the illness at home.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:13:10 »
I think my use of the description of the condition is appropriate in this case.   I really mean the individual responding to peoples questions in the textblade forum is exhibiting very strong characteristics of Asbergers syndrome.   I know a few highly functioning folk that have children with Asberger's and are quite symptomatic themselves.   

The thing could be revolutionary.    That said the datahand could have been revolutionary.     This is far more approachable from a price perspective than the datahand but it does have the potential to change peoples perspectives.   Steno is a better solution but than colemak or dvorak but the idea of the textblade is approachable, relatively low learning curve and has a couple of compelling use cases in a currently hot market.

At some point I will make the transition to steno and give up on half measures but till then this seems very interesting.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:22:19 »
If you mean “socially clueless, paranoid, and antagonistic”, you should just say that, not “borderline autistic”. I know folks with Aspergers who don’t act like this, and I also know folks who are “neurotypical” but also happen to be paranoid jerks. The way people constantly conflate the two things is stigmatizing for people who are somewhere on the “autism spectrum”.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:27:04 »
I meant what I wrote.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:50:58 »
Trying to diagnose something like that through internet comments on a support forum is not possible.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 20:35:02 »
Another derailed thread at GH.

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 20:41:55 »

Fkn magnets, how do they work?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 01:20:30 »
Totally forgot about my order until tonight. Just checked it an it's supposed to ship in the next week or so, sweet

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 09:25:21 »
Totally forgot about my order until tonight. Just checked it an it's supposed to ship in the next week or so, sweet

Don't hold your breath.  They've had delays, due to retooling production and QA issues.  The accuracy of their estimate tool is in question.  You should be getting an email from them before your order is ready to ship, asking you to confirm layout (they are offering Colemak now) and possibly answer more questions which I cannot recall at this time.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:44:06 »
Yeah, I realized that after some forum browsing after I posted. But still, I'd rather them get it right then rush it out. It seems like a very ambitious product, I'd hate for them to blow it before it even gets a chance.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:52:09 »
Agreed.  Aside from the multiple delays and the sometimes horrendous customer relations on the Waytools forums, I'm still hopeful and kind of excited about the Textblade.

Offline ___

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:54:32 »
> sometimes horrendous customer relations on the Waytools forums

Care to elaborate? I frequent the forums over there and I've never encountered anything but stellar customer relations. He may be a little blunt for some people's likings, but to be fair he's trying to deal with trolls without having to ban them. I find that admirable.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:05:45 »
> sometimes horrendous customer relations on the Waytools forums

Care to elaborate? I frequent the forums over there and I've never encountered anything but stellar customer relations. He may be a little blunt for some people's likings, but to be fair he's trying to deal with trolls without having to ban them. I find that admirable.

For a while anyone who questioned anything was accused of being a shill, when all people wanted was a straight answer.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:23:09 »
I was going to post about this at the WayTools forum, but seeing how the incident was back in late March, I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to resurrect the topic and get it all stirred up again. But I can certainly comment about it here.

Before the bizarre paranoid behavior started, I actually really liked that WayTools rep. He (very likely a he, based on the way he writes) wrote some very intelligent and well-written posts that I enjoyed reading. When he first began accusing people of being corporate shills, I thought, "Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe." But once he started accusing every person who posted negative comments of the same thing, it became worrying, to the point that I wondered about his mental stability (early signs of schizophrenia, maybe?).

Over the years, I've seen many examples of tiny indie developers where the person who did the design, coding, and business operations, was also the same person who acts as the face of the company and communicates with customers in online forums. Some did it really well and actually had personalities that were likable and could remain cool under pressure. Some acted like complete a-holes and couldn't withstand any kind of negative criticism, and would cuss out customers, throw tantrums, threaten to end development, and other bizarre behavior that did irreversible damage to the company and its products. In all those cases, if they simply had let someone else handle public relations and customer service--someone who was actually suited for the task, they would have prevented those problems. But unfortunately, for really tiny developers, they often couldn't afford to hire someone and it's just a one-man bedroom operation.

In WayTools' case, I think they probably can find someone else to take over as the public face of the company, but I suspect the person who's been doing it is likely one of the central personnel in the company--likely the founder, the designer, or engineer, thus feeling like he "should" be the public face because he can field questions from customers with the highest level of authority and expertise. This also explains why there doesn't seem to be a higher authority monitoring his actions and stopping him--he likely IS the higher authority (or at least one of them). But unfortunately, despite being highly intelligent and knowledgeable and passionate, he sucks at handing negative criticism, is overly paranoid, and lacks emotional intelligence in some circumstances.

The fact that he cannot fathom why anyone can be passionate about keyboards, buy and own many keyboards, and would write thousands of words on forums about keyboards unless they are corporate shills, is telling of his lack of emotional intuition about people and about the nature of obsessive hobbies. He knows about communities like GeekHack and Deskthority, and he himself is passionate about keyboards, so why was it so hard for him to understand that for some people, it is simply a passionate hobby and people writing long rants about anything related to keyboard products is perfectly normal. By accusing passionate and vocal customers of being corporate shills, he's alienating the same type of people who are the most passionate about his company's product.

BTW, SpiceBar, did you end up doing that Skype chat with WayTools? If so, what came out of that conversation?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:27:28 by Lunatique »

Offline ___

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:56:46 »
For a while anyone who questioned anything was accused of being a shill, when all people wanted was a straight answer.

He did give straight answers. A lot of the time, the straight answers were: "we don't know. We'll let you know when we do." The response from a startling number of people at that point was to heap abuse onto him for not knowing. I can understand why they would feel that way, but I wouldn't have tolerated half the abuse he did.

I used to believe a company should be completely transparent about their development and manufacturing processes, especially if they're taking pre-orders. After observing the way the waytools pre-orders have gone, I have changed my mind about that completely.

The fact that he cannot fathom why anyone can be passionate about keyboards

That's obviously, demonstrably not true.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:16:51 »

He did give straight answers. A lot of the time, the straight answers were: "we don't know. We'll let you know when we do." The response from a startling number of people at that point was to heap abuse onto him for not knowing. I can understand why they would feel that way, but I wouldn't have tolerated half the abuse he did.

I used to believe a company should be completely transparent about their development and manufacturing processes, especially if they're taking pre-orders. After observing the way the waytools pre-orders have gone, I have changed my mind about that completely.

The key to being a company's public face, is to never get your feathers ruffled, no matter what. That is how a professional public relations person would handle it. While I enjoy seeing the "real" personality behind a company rep instead of someone who is so cool in the face of negativity to almost seem like a well-programmed robot pretending to be human, it doesn't really help the company when he starts to accuse frustrated customers of being corporate shills. Sure, defend the company and the product and explain what's going on, but don't go beyond that and start turning your customers against you.

As for transparency, I think it's a very fine line to walk, and it's a double-edged sword. You have to accept the bad that comes with the good. Lack of transparency has its own pros and cons. Striking the perfect balance is very hard to do, and very few companies do it well, let alone a new company without ample experience behind it and lack the funding needed to have a dedicated public relations/marketing department.

The fact that he cannot fathom why anyone can be passionate about keyboards

That's obviously, demonstrably not true.

Did you read his reply to one of SpiceBar's posts, where he questioned why someone would buy and own many keyboards, and used that as part of the evidence to suggest SpiceBar was a corporate shill planted in his forum to create harm to his company? I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:28:38 »
Not to mention the fact that he autonomously canceled customers' orders because those customers expressed dissatisfaction with the way the company provides information and manages customer expectations on the forums that WayTools provided ostensibly for that very purpose.  That reminded me of a child throwing a tantrum because another kid said something that he didn't have a good response for so he took his toys and went home.  I have no ill will against the company.  I really hope the TextBlade is everything they promised and I hope that, once they have the opportunity, they hire someone more skilled at customer relations than that particular WayTool rep.