Author Topic: KBParadise V80MTS (Alps TKL) // Matias Switches Review  (Read 64636 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
KBParadise V80MTS (Alps TKL) // Matias Switches Review
« on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 21:43:23 »

You know it's an engineering sample when...

Soundtrack
Every review should have music to listen to when you read right? This is what I’m jamming to lately:

Angel Du$t at Rainfest (Shoutouts to Sunny)

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

Iron Maiden – En Vivo Concert

De La Soul x Nas – God It

Intro

KBParadise V80MTS (picture from KBParadise’s Facebook page)

Yup, I’m back with a review talking about Alps again :)). This time I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an engineering sample courtesy of dante and KBParadise. They have previously released the V60 (60% with MX switches), V60MTS (60% Matias Alps switches), and V80 (TKL with MX switches). Now they’re gauging interest for a modern TKL Alps board. Hopefully everyone is excited about this news because as we may or may not know, there are very few modern Alps options out there right now.

This V80MTS has four types of Alps mount switches in it:
  • Matias Quiet in the alphas
  • Matias Clicky in the function row
  • Matias Linear in the navpad and arrows (pgup/pgdn)
  • Fukka or Simplified White Alps (Clicky) on Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Pause

Fortunately for this review, I also have a Filco Zero on hand which will serve as a direct comparison. Unfortunately it has complicated linear Green Alps and Matias Click so I don’t have a good comparison board for the Matias Quiets. I will also say I can’t disassemble the board since I don’t own it.

Background
Not sure if I ever mentioned this before but any and all mistakes in me digging up info are mine and mine only. I obviously don’t work for the following companies, I don’t represent them, I’m not getting paid by them to review their stuff, and I wasn’t asked to review the boards by these companies. Just a huge nerd who enjoys writing reviews and keyboards :).

KBParadise is a Taiwanese keyboard company, based in Taipei. I’ve only done a little digging but it seems that the company is very new and focused on many keyboards and keyboard accessories.  Previously in an interview from Zeal, Daniel from KBParadise had suggested that he and Tex worked at a different company previously; Daniel in an unspecified role and one engineer from Tex being in engineering.  This information seems to be removed so I’m speculating at this point. KBParadise was at Computex so it seems they have a decently sized company. And it was one of the companies that made mechanicalkeyboards.com (MK.com) act very excited. I know I was stoked when I heard about a stock 60% alps board (V60MTS). I’ve had the chance to try it at MK.com and was pleased with their product. They post fairly regularly to Facebook and you can pick up their boards in the USA at mechanicalkeyboards.com.

Matias (say it with me kids, “Muh-tai-us”) is something that’s near and dear to my heart. As one of the few, if not only, current manufacturers of Alps mount switches I’m very into them. I think I might be obligated to as an Alps-head. Plus Matias makes two switches that I’m *extremely* into: Matias Click and Quiet. Matias is based out of Toronto, Canada and headed up by Edgar Matias. Turns out he’s done a *TON* of research on the topics of keyboards and in particular, one handed keyboards. He’s also developed a switch in his namesake. It’s based on the Apple AEK II Orange Alps and is now called the Matias Quiet. A thread on the development of the Quiet switch can be found here. The Matias website can be found here. And yes, Edgar Matias is on Geekhack and goes by the handle Matias. And if you’re a lucky Geekhacker, you might even find yourself in Toronto at the right time to tour Matias’ headquarters.

Aesthetics
I was packing up for Keycon and going over some pictures of my collection to make sure I had everything. I seriously got confused when I saw pictures of the V80MTS. Thought I had two Filco Zeros! Even the font on the caps is very similar. I think that the Filco font is the same as this font but in italics. I mean look at this shot below.

Filco Zero with stock caps and case

KBParadise V80MTS (picture from KBParadise’s Facebook page)

Comparison between the V80 and V60 (picture from KBParadise’s Facebook page)

As I said, the V80 and Zero look a lot alike. That includes the bezel, the sides, the feet, and the bottom. However, the major difference is the USB cable. The Zero has a hardwired cable that comes out the back of the keyboard. The V80 has the cutout on the bottom and it allows for detachable cables. I personally prefer a detachable cable so I definitely like that on the V80 more than the cable on the Zero. But other than that, the bottoms are a lot the same. There are four rubber feet and two fold out feet with rubber tips. Both types of feet hold the keyboards stable and the feet are very solid when they’re folded out.

Overall I really like the simple clean look of the V80. Definitely not a bad look at all. And I think it’s well made. Like I said it’s the doppleganger of the Filco Zero which I think is a very high quality stock board. This is in contrast of the Ducky 1087XM which looks ok, but is extremely cheap and low quality in my opinion. That board doesn’t even have a top half to the case, just a cheap little cover to hide the PCB.

There are two LED indications for the lock switches and again they look very close to the Filco Zero’s. I believe they had blue LEDs.

The bottom of the V80MTS keyboard

Typing Experience

This is the layout of the engineering sample’s switches (picture from KBParadise’s Facebook page)

As the picture shows, this keyboard has multiple switch types in it. In case you don’t want to scroll up again, here’s the breakdown of what goes where:
  • Matias Quiet in the alphas
  • Matias Clicky in the function row
  • Matias Linear in the navpad and arrows (pgup/pgdn)
  • Fukka or Simplified White Alps (Clicky) on Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Pause

Matias Quiet: I’m not sure why I slept on these. I liked them before but they’re amazing and I didn’t acknowledge that before. They’re reminiscent of complicated Orange Alps and even complicated Brown Alps. Quiets are tactile and feel like a wonderful variant of ergo-clears or modified MX Clears. Or maybe like Kailh Browns…but more tactile and a higher actuation point as all Alps and Alps-mount switches have. They are midweight (think 62g or 65g), tactile, extremely quiet, and smooth. I love how they feel. I think if you had to describe a tactile switch to someone, these should be the poster child, not MX Browns. If you can’t get a hold of complicated Brown Alps, I would recommend these. They’re easily found, relatively affordable, and feel good. Plus they look nice with backlighting or LEDs behind them.

Matias Click: I’ve been recommending these for a long time. They don’t feel as smooth as complicated Blue Alps and are a bit stiffer, but I really like them. They are in fact, a clicky switch. If you can’t stomach the current prices of complicated Blue Alps, get these. They’re a touch heavier than MX Blues in my opinion and the Alps-mount wobble means no matter what your typing style is, you get the same wonderful click. It’s a bit tactile but mostly clicky. When you tap these really fast, you can get the click to sort of disappear. Like you’re hovering right at the actuation point and leaf spring press and it won’t click anymore. Which is why I say it sort of leans toward tactility in terms of feeling. It’s not an issue (this was the best way I could figure out how to describe the switch) but I didn’t notice this phenomenon with the simplified White Alps.

Matias Linear: I wasn’t a huge fan of these. For the first week, I could feel the actuation point and click of the leaf. It was a really odd feeling knowing that I was typing on a linear switch but there’d be a slight click at the bottom. The bottom out distance or throw on the switch was also very short; much shorter than I was expecting. It felt shorter than both the Quiet and Click switches. Even after I broke the switches in, the bottom out was jarring. They were also very light; too light for my tastes.

Fukka/Simplified White Alps: They were very similar in feeling to the Matias Click switches but I felt that they didn’t have the same balance of tactility. They always clicked even if you hovered and tapped at the actuation point. Not bad really but I have a slight bias towards Matias if you haven’t noticed by now.

Keyboard itself: I used it with the feet down but was a little taller than the Filco Zero. I never felt like I needed to add any modifications to the board since I enjoyed the stable, solid construction and the typing experience it created.

Conclusions

V80MTS and V60MTS (picture from KBParadise’s Facebook page)

I wish I had the chance to take the board apart but I will say that I found a review from Hardcoreware that does a disassembly. The internals of that board remind me a lot of the CM QFR which isn’t ideal. The QFR wasn’t my favorite keyboard to mod and work on. But it’s hard to tell what the PCB situation is like.

Assuming that the internals aren’t garbage, which they don’t look, I would really recommend this board. Actually I recommend this board; period. If I were to get one, I’d pick Matias Quiets and just rock it stock. I think it’s the replacement for the discontinued and hard to find Filco Zero. If you couldn’t tell, I fanboy hard for Matias so the stock switch options from KBParadise are already good. And if you don’t like those options, there are a ton of Alps and Alps mount switches for you to pick from to swap in.

And guess what? According to KBParadise’s Facebook page, MK.com will be carrying some V80MTS sometime in July. If you want a modern TKL board with good stock switch options and decent caps, get this board. Or tell KBParadise that they should be making more of these.

I’m also curious to know if these V80MTS were made in the same factory as the Filco Zeros. Or if anyone on the team worked on the Zero. Seriously, the two boards are uncannily similar.

* CPTBadAss turns of MatiasFanboy.exe
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:50:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
Re: KBParadise V80MTS (Alps TKL) // Matias Switches Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 02:58:22 »
I'm definitely getting one once they hit the market. With Matias Quiet Clicks I think it'll be the pinnacle for a TKL keyboard... at least in my opinion. If the PCB ends up being crap, maybe I would be able to buy an Orion v3 to replace it  :p. Thanks for the review, it was very helpful!

Offline Hzza

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 03:24:17 »
Nice review CBA. I really liked the individual Matias switches I got from 7bit but wasn't really sure about them when I tried them on a board...it was only a loaner board though so an ISO version of this would let me give them a proper chance :D.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 09:12:40 »
Great review CPT! You're going to convert everyone to Alps  ;D

Thanks for taking the time to bring this info to us!
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 10:15:18 »
Oops forgot to mention something about the caps. They're thin ABS. Then pad printed with a coating over top.

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:48:40 »
The Matias Red switches are really crappy.  Travel distance is too short, too light, and they feel/sound very weird.  It's hard for me to believe they came up with 4 or 5 potential variants and this was the best of the bunch!  :-\

These are crying out for removal of the dampening material and swapping in stiffer springs; and even then as an Alps fan I'd still say Gaterons (particularly Blacks) would be a better option.

I think these were designed for stenographers - and maybe they will be the ones to love them - but in this context it didn't do it for me.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 02:48:39 »
The Matias Red switches are really crappy.  Travel distance is too short, too light, and they feel/sound very weird.  It's hard for me to believe they came up with 4 or 5 potential variants and this was the best of the bunch!  :-\

These are crying out for removal of the dampening material and swapping in stiffer springs; and even then as an Alps fan I'd still say Gaterons (particularly Blacks) would be a better option.

I think these were designed for stenographers - and maybe they will be the ones to love them - but in this context it didn't do it for me.

Have you tried any other Matias switches? what do you think of those?

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 08:58:05 »

Have you tried any other Matias switches? what do you think of those?

I know Matias is going to put me on the BAN list but ...

...  :-X :-[

His switches feel better on KBParadise keyboards than they do on his.  :eek:

I love the Quiet-Click / Clicky / Fukka equally - very very good.  I go back and forth between the clicky and fukka and honestly it's too close to call.  I promise you your MX Blues/Greens will feel like dung after trying these.

It's my hope that KBP can't keep up with the demand to such a degree that companies like Ducky/Leopold take notice and will come out with Matias variants of their own.

How cool would it be to have a FC750R w/ Matias Alps??

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 12:45:58 »
Ducky already made an Alps-alike board... the 1008XM and 1087XM, now long discontinued.  It was the worst of early-generation Ducky products-- crappy case that self-destructs if you open it, thin plate and PCB, and crappy XM clone switches.  However, I'd suspect they would be further along, already having engineering drawings and a PCB spec they could use... just adapted to thicker steel and PCB.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline hammelgammler

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:44:08 »
Does anyone know when it's possible to buy the V80MTS?
And am i correct that you can desolder the switches and put, let's say Blue Alps in it?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:48:06 »
1) Does anyone know when it's possible to buy the V80MTS?
2) And am i correct that you can desolder the switches and put, let's say Blue Alps in it?

1) MK.com had a few in. I think they're waiting on more. You can see what's coming soon at MK.com with this link.

2) Yes

Offline hammelgammler

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:51:27 »
Thanks CPT for letting me know! I really appreciate this review.
Sorry if that's offtopic, but this seems to be the only (and rather "cheap") way, of getting a TKL ALPS keyboard right? :)
Hopefully they have some in stock in a few days, because i will order some stuff from a fellow user.

You seem to be very happy with your Blue Alps TKL. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:53:14 »
Currently this is the best way to get an Alps TKL board. Really hoping it gets restocked soon so more people can grab some. The V60 is also an option if you're cool with 60% layouts.

I'm very happy with my Kingsaver and the other Alps stuff I have left :D.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:13:27 »
Finally got my v80mts home and setup, and after my first day with it I'm finding the stabs a bit clangy and loose. Seems weird to me as the stabs should be the same as on the Matias Quiet Pro, and that has the smoothest stabs ever. Maybe I need to lube it? Any suggestions for what lube to use (and not too hard to find or overpriced in UK / EU!)

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:20:09 »
You seem to be very happy with your Blue Alps TKL. ;)
I'm very happy with my Kingsaver and the other Alps stuff I have left :D.

brb, breaking into CPTBadAss's house and stealing those sweet sweet blue alps...

:-*

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:22:30 »
WASD and others such as The_Beast have used Super Lube to lube stabilizers. I think any generic PTFE grease will work though. But I've also heard it's only good for stabilizers and not switches. I haven't tried it myself.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:39:50 »
WASD and others such as The_Beast have used Super Lube to lube stabilizers. I think any generic PTFE grease will work though. But I've also heard it's only good for stabilizers and not switches. I haven't tried it myself.

Thx Cap'n!
Amzn is weird - I clicked your link on mobile and it went to the USA amazon site, so then I searched for same product on amzn uk and it's like £30 for same thing!!! Then I opened GH on laptop and clicked you link again and it takes me to amzn uk, and it's only $4.
Will report back on whether it fixes the clanky hollow feeling from this keyboard.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 23:27:51 »
They had one of each in stock for non-preorders and I grabbed the Matias quiet click version. So, sorry anyone that would have potentially bought it. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you want a keyboard with amazing tactile feedback all inside a sleek case.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 23:30:24 by sean »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:15:42 »
What does a guy have to do to get a TKL Alps keyboard these days? Damn, let me buy one already!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:51:23 »
What does a guy have to do to get a TKL Alps keyboard these days? Damn, let me buy one already!

Patience.  The TaoHao doubleshots haven't been delivered to KBP yet.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:52:31 »

But, MK.com had some??  :confused:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:54:07 »

MK.com sold the non-doubleshot version.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:56:58 »

Yeah, I don't even care about the caps. I just want the keyboard, but apparently I can't get one.

in memoriam

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:59:07 »

Yeah, I don't even care about the caps. I just want the keyboard, but apparently I can't get one.

Not to sound like a **** but preorders were open for several days; you could have gotten one if you really wanted it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:00:56 »

Not to sound like a **** but preorders were open for several days; you could have gotten one if you really wanted it.

I guess, but I don't remember seeing anything about preorders for them. :'(

in memoriam

Offline dante

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:03:17 »
Preorders are up for incoming V80MTS: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:28:52 »
Glad you like the KBP boards and both Matias Click and Matias Quiet switches.

Matias Click and Matias Quiet are among my all-time favorite switches. I rank them close to IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F) and Topre 45 and 55g switches. I haven't tried the new KBP V80MTS, but I have the KBP V60MTS in both Matias Quiet and Matias Click switches. The only drawback is the relative paucity of key caps for Matias/Alps-mount switches. I was lucky to find some IBM 5140 computers, which have Alps-mount dye-sub PBT key caps that fit the alphas on the V60MTS perfectly. Thus far, I am using Matias ABS blanks for mods.

I agree with you about the Matias linears. One of my KBP V60MTS boards has Matias linear switches. They are too light for me, and I miss the tactility of the MTS Quiet and Click switches and the joyful noise of the Matias Click variant.

Let's hope that someone will produce some nice dye-sub PBT caps for these excellent keyboards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:33:10 »
Hypersphere, I think there's a lot of options for keycaps if you're willing to salvage caps. And there's starting to be a lot more new caps available.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:35:49 »

Preorders are up for incoming V80MTS: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Dolch is available for preorder, but either Olivetti is already preordered out or it hasn't started yet. With the stock caps only being $10 less it makes sense to get Olivetti or Dolch if you can.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:57:24 »
Thanks for the link, dante. I got a preorder in this time.

in memoriam

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 20:17:06 »
Great Review ;D. I'll be seriously considering the clicks for my future build.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:58:35 »
Thanks for the link, dante. I got a preorder in this time.

Same here, just put down a lowly amount (for a keyboard) on a KBParadise TKL V80 Dolch Mechanical - Matias Quiet Switch version.

Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives  :thumb: .

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:42:40 »
That's excellent news about the Dolch and Olivette keycaps. I wonder if they will make keycap sets available separate from the keyboards? I already have 3 V60 boards (one of each type of Matias switch).

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 20:03:08 »
That's excellent news about the Dolch and Olivette keycaps. I wonder if they will make keycap sets available separate from the keyboards? I already have 3 V60 boards (one of each type of Matias switch).

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php They are selling the Dolch and Olivette keycap sets on their own. $34
Poker II

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 01:55:06 »
I noticed the v60 and v80 boards with these are listed as "multi keycap" - I wonder if they're sending them out with the original black keycaps on, and the doubleshots bundled together in a separate package. I also wonder if they include the full doubleshot keyset, or just enough keys to cover the keyboard they're shipped with.

Edit (instead of doublepost): wow! Senior members like jdcarpe and elrick scrabbling to get a keyboard that I already have -makes me feel special!   :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 03:13:47 by zombimuncha »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 18:39:33 »
How much do Matias switches wobble by ALPS-style switch standards? Are they on the wobblier side of the ALPS-style range, or the less wobbly side?

I'm interested in these, but also afraid-- in the past, I've had ALPS-style switches that I really liked, and ones that I'd rank below pretty much any rubber dome (let alone a proper mech switch). Unfortunately, since everyone's preferences are different, it's hard to think of a good way to guess which these will be for me, and shipping costs add up fast when buying things and then RMAing. :-(
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 18:52:12 »
How much do Matias switches wobble by ALPS-style switch standards? Are they on the wobblier side of the ALPS-style range, or the less wobbly side?

I'm interested in these, but also afraid-- in the past, I've had ALPS-style switches that I really liked, and ones that I'd rank below pretty much any rubber dome (let alone a proper mech switch). Unfortunately, since everyone's preferences are different, it's hard to think of a good way to guess which these will be for me, and shipping costs add up fast when buying things and then RMAing. :-(

I don't think they're anything different in terms of wobble versus say complicated Alps

You can always order a handful of switches for cheap from say MK.com to try out.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 21:52:46 »
I've found that the wobble for Matias compared to ALPS salmon is a lot less. There's still more wobble compared to cherry though, but it's negligible.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 20:12:54 »
What does a guy have to do to get a TKL Alps keyboard these days?

Ha Ha Ha.

You shouldn't have sold me that Ducky without a case top. (By the way, did you ever find it?)

I have it populated with orange Alps switches and Apple keys (the 75% or so that work) and it is a sweet little board.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 14:25:57 »
What does a guy have to do to get a TKL Alps keyboard these days?

Ha Ha Ha.

You shouldn't have sold me that Ducky without a case top. (By the way, did you ever find it?)

I have it populated with orange Alps switches and Apple keys (the 75% or so that work) and it is a sweet little board.

He said a TKL Alps keyboard. Not a pile of garbage ;)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 16:39:40 »
Finally got around to reading this review.  Thanks for the review.

I have to agree the Matias Quiet are a great switch.  They are as quiet as advertised and Matias really maximized them for typists, above all.  The higher actuation point also is appreciated.

As a mainly buckling spring and beam spring man these days, every other clicky switch feels like a cheap plastic piece of garbage.  So I don't have the highest opinion of the click switch.  Perhaps I am being unfair by comparing it to the royalty of clickyness.  Blue Alps, though, those might be the best of the cheap plastic pieces of garbage.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 02:59:52 »
As a mainly buckling spring and beam spring man these days, every other clicky switch feels like a cheap plastic piece of garbage.  So I don't have the highest opinion of the click switch.  Perhaps I am being unfair by comparing it to the royalty of clickyness.

"Royalty of Clickyness" you gotta love that, you sound quite familiar with such acute observations that we need more such rapierlike wit here on GH.

Always keep the faith and burn all non believers, with extreme prejudice  8) .

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 09:38:39 »
Look inside any ALPS style clicky switch and be amazed at the little metal piece that gives a feel comparable to the almighty buckling spring!
Interestingly enough, you can modify that metal piece to make it more clicky, or less clicky to the point where you can modify your switch to be linear. I just found this out yesterday when I was inspecting the switches on my aekii and it's just one more of the many reasons I quickly fell to ALPS after spending a brief time on MX and buckling spring. But of course you're preaching to the choir when you say buckling spring is the best kind of clicky switch because in most cases it is. But if you're looking for the best tactile switch with the best feel of any other switches without waking up your neighbors in the process, then in my opinion ALPS cream and Matias Quiet Click are easily the winners.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:44:13 »

Thx Cap'n!
Amzn is weird - I clicked your link on mobile and it went to the USA amazon site, so then I searched for same product on amzn uk and it's like £30 for same thing!!! Then I opened GH on laptop and clicked you link again and it takes me to amzn uk, and it's only $4.
Will report back on whether it fixes the clanky hollow feeling from this keyboard.

Well some of the clankiness went away by itself with using the keyboard for a few days. The SuperLube arrived (shipped from USA, took ages) so I put some on my right shift key. I like it much better with than without. The bottom-out clack is now deeper and more sonorous, and the rattle went away entirely. I'll do the rest of the stabilizers as soon as I get a chance. Epic win!!

FYI, the V80 came with lube on the spacebar stabs but not on any of the others.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 13:06:42 »
Look inside any ALPS style clicky switch and be amazed at the little metal piece that gives a feel comparable to the almighty buckling spring!
Interestingly enough, you can modify that metal piece to make it more clicky, or less clicky to the point where you can modify your switch to be linear. I just found this out yesterday when I was inspecting the switches on my aekii and it's just one more of the many reasons I quickly fell to ALPS after spending a brief time on MX and buckling spring. But of course you're preaching to the choir when you say buckling spring is the best kind of clicky switch because in most cases it is. But if you're looking for the best tactile switch with the best feel of any other switches without waking up your neighbors in the process, then in my opinion ALPS cream and Matias Quiet Click are easily the winners.

Interesting. I have opened many an Alps switch and was aware of the metal insides, but my Alps modding knowledge is clearly infantile. 
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:19:25 »
I gotta say, I'm digging these Matias Click switches a lot. Even more than I thought I would.

The Quiet switches for me were about equal with MX Clears, I could use either and be happy. I kinda don't like the dampening on the downstroke because it feels a little bit like mushy rubberdomes, but this is not an issue on the Click switches.
After using the V80MTS-c for a couple of weeks my Clears feel nasty cheap and scratchy, and the tactile bump feels like nothing but mush compared to the v80.

About the only fault I can find with it is that I get a slight amount of ringing sound on the upstroke of the "H" key, but this is very minor, and I already have a remedy planned for it...

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:21:30 by zombimuncha »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:38:17 »
I gotta say, I'm digging these Matias Click switches a lot. Even more than I thought I would.

The Quiet switches for me were about equal with MX Clears, I could use either and be happy. I kinda don't like the dampening on the downstroke because it feels a little bit like mushy rubberdomes, but this is not an issue on the Click switches.
After using the V80MTS-c for a couple of weeks my Clears feel nasty cheap and scratchy, and the tactile bump feels like nothing but mush compared to the v80.

About the only fault I can find with it is that I get a slight amount of ringing sound on the upstroke of the "H" key, but this is very minor, and I already have a remedy planned for it...

I really want to try the clicky version.  I now have 2 boards with quiet touches, which I really enjoy (my new daily).  I am considering trading my Infinity with quiets for one with clicks so that I can give them a run.  I am one of the minority that really like clicky whites, so I would love to try the Matias switches. 

As to the mushy feeling, I don't really get that.  I am the type of typist that bottoms out every key-press with authority, so these quiets are actually really nice. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 13:24:26 »

I really want to try the clicky version.  I now have 2 boards with quiet touches, which I really enjoy (my new daily).  I am considering trading my Infinity with quiets for one with clicks so that I can give them a run.  I am one of the minority that really like clicky whites, so I would love to try the Matias switches. 

As to the mushy feeling, I don't really get that.  I am the type of typist that bottoms out every key-press with authority, so these quiets are actually really nice.

You might want to try the quiet switch with the click leaf from the clicky switch. Or the clicky switch with the dampened slider from the quiet switch.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 13:31:11 »
You might want to try the quiet switch with the click leaf from the clicky switch. Or the clicky switch with the dampened slider from the quiet switch.

Hmm aren't the switches identical other than the little rubber dampeners on the quiet switches?

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 14:23:24 »

Hmm aren't the switches identical other than the little rubber dampeners on the quiet switches?

Click leaf / tactile leaf / leaf spring is different (the click leaf clicks!) I'm told the coil springs also are different. I think the coil spring from the tactile switch is lighter.