Author Topic: LCD editor for Infinity Ergodox  (Read 13858 times)

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
LCD editor for Infinity Ergodox
« on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 07:43:16 »
After getting my ergodox infinity I wasn't that excited with the default images and colors on the LCD screen. I realized modding them by directly manipulating the flashing files was really easy and doesn't require special compilers and such... I also saw people asking for such a software, so I made a quick and simple program that does just that, but after a day and zero downloads from I:C forums it's obvious no one will find it there, so I'll post about it here as well. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

===================================================================

(EXE/DATA files: * IED LCD Editor 0.9.zip (8760.4 kB - downloaded 435 times.)) OR dowload >>HERE<<
(Source (.py): * IEDLCDE Sauce.zip (6.45 kB - downloaded 213 times.))
> > > Check out the GitHub if you want to help develop the editor: https://github.com/chuckdee68/IEDLCDEditor < < <

===================================================================

Next you need the .dfu.bin files from the configurator: https://input.club/configurator-ergodox and drop them in the folder

I haven't been able to test it on other than Windows, but theoretically it might work cross-platform. If something doesn't work I can try to fix it, or upload the source so someone on a different platform can try and port it or add fuctionalities.

Some images:
As you can see I've put Func4 to be backlights off, this way I can easily turn off the lights during the night.
Ironically I haven't yet figured out how to change the default layer led color directly, which was what I originally wanted to do, so you'll be stuck with the default. Everything else works.
140133-2
140135-3
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 04:12:38 by LuX »

Offline Data

Re: LCD editor for Infinity Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 11:18:55 »
Nice.  Bookmarking this for August build.  :thumb:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 11:29:39 »
Very cool!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 11:34:18 »

You too?  :)

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:28:06 »

You too?  :)

Of course!  I have to have a Dox for work.  One is never enough!   :p

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 03:40:02 »
Thanks. I realize you have to register to download from 4shared which is kinda crappy, so I re-uploaded to a new site.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 08:23:57 »
Thank you so much for this; the screens have so much potential. Bookmarking as well :)

Offline louiscarter88

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 19:43:34 »
Heya,

Not able to download, it's saying the file is no longer available.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 20:11:04 »
Maybe it's down for debugging?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 21:47:00 »
Did anyone download it? I was waiting for my kit to be delivered before I did.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 05:33:13 »
Heya,

Not able to download, it's saying the file is no longer available.
Maybe it's down for debugging?
Did anyone download it? I was waiting for my kit to be delivered before I did.

I've had bad luck with those file sharing websites. 4shared requires signing up, but you can download it there: http://www.4shared.com/zip/yGwgRW1Lce/IED_LCD_Editor_09.html
zippyfile (or something like that) deleted my file without notice, and now dropbox refuses to share the file  :mad:

If anyone knows of a reliable file sharing website, please tell.

I'll update the OP with sauce link later, dropbox banned my links for causing too much traffic so I can't upload there :)) I'll have to find yet a new place.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 05:46:06 »
Actually I just put the source in the OP as downloadable file since it's so small, written in Python. I'm fairly new to Python so ignore if I made something funny and don't hesitate to ask for help or clarifications. It's not too well commented...
I probably won't be working on the project for some time now, so feel free to modify it and please let me know and share when you do so.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:19:59 »
Thank you for the link!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 11:16:49 »
Actually I just put the source in the OP as downloadable file since it's so small, written in Python. I'm fairly new to Python so ignore if I made something funny and don't hesitate to ask for help or clarifications. It's not too well commented...
I probably won't be working on the project for some time now, so feel free to modify it and please let me know and share when you do so.

I'd suggest putting the binary and the source in a github archive.  If you're ok with me doing so, I can do it for you.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 11:54:43 »

I'd suggest putting the binary and the source in a github archive.  If you're ok with me doing so, I can do it for you.

That sounds like a great idea.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 11:56:45 »

That sounds like a great idea.

I thought so. :)  I'll just wait to hear from the OP.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:16:13 »

You have my permission to go ahead. I'm working on another (unrelated) project that I want to finish before the end of summer so I won't have too much time for the editor.

It would be great to have people contribute to the editor. Ideally the main purpose of it is to give users an easy way to edit the screen without having to mess around with the kiibohd/controller. Sadly python doesn't offer a neat .exe that would be so much easier to share than those python pre-compiles. I suppose it's still easier to just compile a single .py than the other way around.

Offline louiscarter88

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:26:29 »
Managed to download - I'm able to change the image of the LCD but for some reason it's showing only default colours? Maybe I messed up somehow.

EDIT: Ok turns out it's only the main layer that isn't changing - all other layers are fine with custom colours.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:35:28 by louiscarter88 »

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:41:20 »
Managed to download - I'm able to change the image of the LCD but for some reason it's showing only default colours? Maybe I messed up somehow.

If you mean the default image color, ie. the gray logo color, then yes that's unchangeable in the current state of the editor. If the function layer colors don't change, it is possible that either you clicked on the default colors button, or that the bit segment before the colors is different for you, although in the limited tests I made it seemed to work. Maybe your custom layout is different... When you save the file does a message appear reading "An error may have occurred while saving..."? If it just says "Saved successfully!..." it should have worked.

EDIT: Ok turns out it's only the main layer that isn't changing - all other layers are fine with custom colours.

I figured that was the case. I couldn't find where the default layer color is stored so that feature is still missing.

EDIT: Also I uploaded the original exe and data files to GH in the OP. Looks like it's barely below the size limit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:50:30 by LuX »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 01:46:39 »
Github link: https://github.com/chuckdee68/IEDLCDEditor

I added an issue for the default layer, in case someone wants to take it on.  I also need to add a license; I'd go with MS-PL (https://tldrlegal.com/license/microsoft-public-license-(ms-pl)), but I wanted to check with LuX first.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 04:17:46 »
Github link: https://github.com/chuckdee68/IEDLCDEditor

I added an issue for the default layer, in case someone wants to take it on.  I also need to add a license; I'd go with MS-PL (https://tldrlegal.com/license/microsoft-public-license-(ms-pl)), but I wanted to check with LuX first.

Thanks, I added the link in the OP. I don't really care what people make of the code as long as they don't hold me responsible for any problems, legally nor emotionally. You have free hands to maintain the page and do as you best see fit without my confirmation.

Offline LukStarkiller

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 12:47:34 »
Thanks, finally I had time to build the Infinity Ergodox and is great to find tools like that to update the firmware a little bit more customized.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 17:45:30 »
really awesome tool!!

i used it and managed to change the LCD display of the right hand side's half by flashing the right.dfu.bin, however the left side has kept its default LCD images. does this mean i didn't do something correctly? or do i need to do something else to change the left side?

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 05:22:02 »
You have to write it on both halves bin file and flash both sides individually. Changing only one side will only implement the change on the given side. That way you can also use different images or colors for the same layer on each side.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 05:31:08 »
You have to write it on both halves bin file and flash both sides individually. Changing only one side will only implement the change on the given side. That way you can also use different images or colors for the same layer on each side.

ahh okay thanks dude, i'll try that

now i can use another face on the left side

Offline MRod

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 09:38:28 »
Works great.  Thanks for putting this together.

Offline vafan

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 08:44:54 »
Does it still work with newest IC Ergodox?

Offline Mansen

• Tweak.dk
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:29:32 »
Looks like it still doesn't support colour changes on the main layer? :)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 08:07:08 »

You are welcome to fix it and request that this be incorporated.  The OP has made no indications that he's going to support it, and I made the github repository so others could contribute.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 13:45:47 »

Yeah, I've tried to tackle that issue a couple of times, but it seems like it's nothing as easily doable as the rest. I'd need someone to make two identical copies of the settings files, with the exception of the background color, using the build method provided at I:C. That way I can compare how and where the data appears in the file, and perhaps get it working. I couldn't get the building method to work on my windows and never bothered to go any further as it required too much disk space to set up.

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:14:11 »
Dude, I just wanted to say thank you so much for sorting this out, that's really amazing work!

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:56:28 »
It seems to able to easily preview the colors and the logo, but after it's saved successfully, if I do anything on the keyboard (i.e. change to layer 1 or 2 or disconnect it etc) - it removes the change and reverts back to the normal configuration?

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 18:10:00 »
It seems to able to easily preview the colors and the logo, but after it's saved successfully, if I do anything on the keyboard (i.e. change to layer 1 or 2 or disconnect it etc) - it removes the change and reverts back to the normal configuration?

The preview is just a preview. You need to save the files and then flash the keyboard using the new files following flashing instructions on I:C.

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 08:56:33 »
Ok I think I get it now. Do you mind if I expand on the guide for noobs like myself?

I'll include how to amend the logos etc as well. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.