Author Topic: What's the worst android phone you've ever had?  (Read 22233 times)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
What's the worst android phone you've ever had?
« on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 12:11:16 »
I never owned it but the htc wildfire no dbout.
hi.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: What's the worst android phone you've ever had?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 08:54:27 »
The very first one.
The screen was so tiny and so were the buttons it was a nightmare to use.
I don't remember make or model though, so yeah. :p

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 09:26:37 »
g1?
hi.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:20:46 »
Vodafone 845. It was one of the cheapest smartphones in the market at the time, made by Huawei, and it used some atrocious parts (e.g., terrible, insensitive touchscreen w/ poor resolution; horrible mic, A/D and D/A converters and hp output).

Offline notbrain

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 19:02:19 »
atrix 4g(?) I think it was called. Motorola was ahead of its time with the dock and large display. As if it had enough power to get any work done.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 22:33:37 »
I had a samsung stratosphere I think it was. I got it because I wanted a physical keyboard on my phone but then I realized that it had absolute zero support and that it was going to go the way of the dodo in like 2 months, so I dropped it for an S3. In the time that I had it, it was a pain. There was only one custom rom and it was pitiful, everyone else was onto I think ICS at least, maybe JB and it was stuck on GB with no updates whatsoever, not even any Cyanogen support.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:16:01 »
My current one, a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. The last phone at least had a good screen resolution ( moto e ).
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 16:21:33 »
I've got a HTC Desire at the moment and it's pretty awful. When you take a photo there's a lag of a full second or more before it snaps. The battery life is also appalling.

The worst phone I've used was some Galaxy Mini junker from years ago I borrowed. The worst feature is the garbage touch screen.. are they called capacitive touchscreens or something? Trying to hit anything on the screen was a 50/50 chance.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:14:23 »
I had an Android phone that I thought would be a great Android phone, but it actually did not meet expectations.  Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.  The battery life got ****ty quick, the camera was not as good as advertised, things started going wrong about two years after I bought it (of course), and the software was bloated and buggy.  For a premium price, I got a midrange experience.   And some idiot bought the thing off me for $90.  I hope he likes it, at least.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:23:24 »
And this is the reason that I'm hesitant about moving from the iPhone.  With that phone, you can be assured of what you're getting.  With Android, not so much.  And being potentially stuck with a dud for a couple of years is worrying.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 08:45:13 »
HTC Thunderbolt. First phone with 4G LTE, but battery was atrocious and Sense UI was hot garbage.
I liek keyboards

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 09:29:11 »
And this is the reason that I'm hesitant about moving from the iPhone.  With that phone, you can be assured of what you're getting.  With Android, not so much.  And being potentially stuck with a dud for a couple of years is worrying.
If you don't walk in blind then you won't get a dud, I started doing research after my first blunder and it got a lot better. Don't buy Samsung because TouchWiz is hot garbage. I currently have a nexus 5x and it's really great, I don't know how the pixel fares but I'm not in the market for one either.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 10:10:11 »
I've got a HTC Desire at the moment and it's pretty awful. When you take a photo there's a lag of a full second or more before it snaps. The battery life is also appalling.

The worst phone I've used was some Galaxy Mini junker from years ago I borrowed. The worst feature is the garbage touch screen.. are they called capacitive touchscreens or something? Trying to hit anything on the screen was a 50/50 chance.

Ha!  That was my second android and by far the worst.  Battery life made the phone useless.  1-2 hours of calls and texts, less if you actually wanted to watch a video.  Pair this with many hours to charge it back up and it basically had to be plugged in all the time.  It was also super slow and laggy.  I went through 3 of them under warranty and on the 4th finally got a different phone on my providers dime. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 10:14:05 »
If you don't walk in blind then you won't get a dud, I started doing research after my first blunder and it got a lot better. Don't buy Samsung because TouchWiz is hot garbage. I currently have a nexus 5x and it's really great, I don't know how the pixel fares but I'm not in the market for one either.

I actually have two Samsung tablets, and I like the interface.  Which really means that, as with a lot of things, it really depends on the buyer's us case.  But those were inexpensive on specials from Barnes and Noble, related to turning in my old Nook.  With a phone, without the ability to use it for a while and see what it's like, you are depending on others' views, which might not work with your own.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 10:26:47 »
My Moto G 3rd Gen. So this phone is actually really good IF you don't do the stupid thing I did and thought oh, 1 GB of ram and 8GB internal memory? that should be fine for 2015/16  :confused: boy was I wrong it lags, I can barely have my basic apps on the phone that I was used to using on my Nexus 4 (which by the way was an amazing phone) the camera on this is mediocre at best, sometimes producing a decent photo but most of the time its an utter potato. Luckily I bought this phone with the intent of updating within 2yrs so now I am looking the Pixel or the iPhone 7, just want to wait it out a bit longer to see how the pixel holds up for the first few months of release to see if there is any issues.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 13:35:44 »

The nice part about Apple is you know they will support the device with OS updates for at least a few years.  Android updates are dependent upon the phone manufacturer.  With my Sony, I was stuck with 5.1.1 and they did not plan on offering further upgrades on the OS.  And this phone was less than three years old.

I'm not sure what the other Android manufacturers are doing, but I was not impressed with Sony.  Too much bloatware, stopped pushing OS upgrades too soon, felt like the phone was built to last only through a contract term. 

People like their Nexus, though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2016, 14:08:29 by vivalarevolución »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 13:44:39 »

The nice part about Apple is you know they will support the device with OS updates for at least a few years.  Android updates are dependent upon the phone manufacturer.  With my Sony, I was stuck with 5.1.1 and they did not plan on offering further upgrades on the OS.  And this phone was less than three years old.

I'm not sure what the other Android manufacturers are doing, butI was not impressed with Sony.  People like their Nexus, though.
I think an important part of getting an Android phone is getting a "Pure" Android OS, some manufacturers bloat their phones so much, I remember using my friends sony which was nice and I heard it had a great camera. After using it to take a few shots the phone was like heating up and lagging, he told me all the bloatware camera features make the camera so slow and dysfunctional although it takes nice photos :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 16:20:44 »
I'm not sure what the other Android manufacturers are doing, but I was not impressed with Sony.  Too much bloatware, stopped pushing OS upgrades too soon, felt like the phone was built to last only through a contract term. 
Wasn't Sony [Ericsson] actually one of the first vendors to enable unlocking the bootloader through an official channel? I hope it still holds.

Thanks to that, CyanogenMod and legacyXperia, my 2011 xperias are running fairly fresh Android builds.

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 20:35:42 »
Maybe, I'm just lucky but so far I have Samsung and Asus but both are still working and  do have a great performance. I have both for more than 2 years already. I just hope, it could not be worst in due time.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 21:34:56 »
HTC Incredible or HTC Desire 626

Incredible I had when it was new. It got too hot and everything about it was miserable. The ROMs were all terrible. The wifi disconnection problem was never fixed and that was just one of many bugs.

The HTC 626 is when I threw my phone onto a bed and missed and it went crack. Missed the day to return it to Verizon by a day and sold it on craigslist to some kid.

Man I would even take Blackberry's Android support over either HTC. I love my current Android more than any phone I've had thus far though.

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 22:11:22 »
Xperia play, made for games: barely handles an emulator.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Offline Gajible

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 23:47:15 »
My current phone. Sony Xperia.

The touch sensor is all sorts of ****ed. Registers touches wrong, doesn't register touches, registers non-existent touches.

All around crap.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 04:26:11 »
I think it's xperia

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 00:44:48 »
Take your pick. They've all sucked for me

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 07:23:24 »
We should all buy Sidekicks and be happy again.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 07:51:32 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 08:41:16 »

The touch sensor is all sorts of ****ed. Registers touches wrong, doesn't register touches, registers non-existent touches.

All around crap.

I thought japan made the best electronics ?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:15:14 »

All around crap.

Have had 2 Xperias, and both were very najs

Offline FlipJanson

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:52:11 »
Droid 2. My mom got it for me as a replacement phone because my old broke. Ended up having that phone for 4 years before I finally got an S6. Worst 4 years of my life.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:51:26 »
Honestly, all the Android phones I've had were ****e. I think they were all HTC, though. Maybe that's why. Can't remember the models since the names are amazingly dumb. HTC Pro Premium Edge Pro or something. And then the Diamond Edge Premium Limited. Or something. Inspire? I can't recall.

I had a Nexus 7 tablet, too. It was okay, I guess. Android just always leaves me wanting functionality over customization. The hardware was okay, but the OS always leaved me not feeling like I was able to get anything I wanted done. There were always comprises in comparison to iOS at the time.

The OS I loved the most was WebOS. Don't get me wrong, the Palm Pre was horrible hardware (I had five of them, four of which I had in the course of like... a month?), but the OS was really innovative at the time. Shame HP ****ed it all up.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 12:20:13 »
Couple things.  Verizon exclusives, and verizon branded phones, including the Pixel are notorious for not providing OS updates.  I think in the entire time I have been using smart phones on Verizon network, first one was a Motorola Droid Maxx about a week before the Droid Maxx HD came out, I have gotten a total of 1 update per phone.  This is not an issue with Android, but an issue with Verizon.  I have heard that Verizon is one of the worst for that.  The reason is because all OS updates have to go through the provider, and that costs money. 

If you outright buy a non carrier locked phone, your updates come direct from Android.  That being said, I have used Motorola Droids since I went to smartphones, and have yet to get a bad phone.  My only regret is not having the cash to outright buy a phone not carrier locked.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 12:43:02 »

All around crap.

Have had 2 Xperias, and both were very najs

I was on the fence about getting an XZ..

But I wanted to get spied on by the NSA so went with something with the fingerprint scanner..

I heard the Jpn version that has the scanner won't let you turn off the camera sound like other japanese fones.... so you don't want that....

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 14:59:35 »
We're back on this?

For the record, I am happy with my OnePlus Three experience so far.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:18:32 »
I still honestly preferred the polished feel of Windows Phone 8.  I begrudgingly switched back to Android because I do webdev and was fed up having to borrow co-workers' devices to test rendering issues in mobile browsers.  Honestly, the right answer would be to buy a dead iPhone and random $60 Android handset and leave them in the office, but we're not that organized.

I had a Samsung Skyrocket-- a Galaxy SII with LTE when that was a novelty.  It got virtually no long-term support and putting it on Cyanogenmod just made it less stable.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 18:17:56 »
This might anger some, but the Nexus 5 had horrendous battery life. Definitely couldn't make it through an average day on a single charge, and I got in some inconvenient situations because of that.

For instance: car trouble, and no way to call family or AAA. Had to run inside a pizza restaurant and beg them to use their landline! I've since jumped ship to the 7 plus and it's like day and night with regard to battery life.

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:38:12 »
I can't remember the exact model but it was a Sony Ericsson. The RAM was just a measly 256MB and I had to root it to get rid of the bloatware.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:21:02 »
HTC wildfire, still using it...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:51:11 »
This might anger some, but the Nexus 5 had horrendous battery life. Definitely couldn't make it through an average day on a single charge, and I got in some inconvenient situations because of that.

For instance: car trouble, and no way to call family or AAA. Had to run inside a pizza restaurant and beg them to use their landline! I've since jumped ship to the 7 plus and it's like day and night with regard to battery life.

Android went bonkers after 4.0 to 5 transition on many phones..   it has to do with the wifi services being ran in loops..

I heard that clearing the cache helped some phones but not others..

But the only thing that worked for me, was an auto wifi disabler, which FULLY disabled wifi services on android 5.0 when the phone is locked.. I had no more battery problems after that..  The difference was huge..   

Same symptom as you had, couldn't get through the day,  then after I installed the wifi disabler, battery went back to original

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:52:11 »

Nobody denies the ****ty batter life, and camera, of the Nexus 5.  For me, the 5 was my favorite device mainly because of its design.  The perfect size and design made up for its obvious downfalls for me.

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:54:24 »

Android went bonkers after 4.0 to 5 transition on many phones..   it has to do with the wifi services being ran in loops..

But the only thing that worked for me, was an auto wifi disabler, which FULLY disabled wifi services on android 5.0 when the phone is locked.. I had no more battery problems after that..  The difference is huge..

Yeah I experimented with similar jury rig fixes, but with the 7+ I can leave wifi and Bluetooth on all day, along with streaming music and movies, without a second thought. By the time I plug in for the night, I've still got 50% battery left! It's completely spoiled me and I'd need a lot of convincing to go back

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 10:10:34 »

But the only thing that worked for me, was an auto wifi disabler, which FULLY disabled wifi services on android 5.0 when the phone is locked.. I had no more battery problems after that..  The difference is huge..

Yeah I experimented with similar jury rig fixes, but with the 7+ I can leave wifi and Bluetooth on all day, along with streaming music and movies, without a second thought. By the time I plug in for the night, I've still got 50% battery left! It's completely spoiled me and I'd need a lot of convincing to go back

/Tp4 can't fords ipho..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 10:26:08 »
Original iPhone. It was the worst Android phone imho

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 05:15:56 »
The G1. That thing was a turd.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline krumbprone

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 17:14:34 »
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.  Loved the speed and the size.  Bought it for being compact and WATERPROOF.  Splashed some water on it while cleaning and it died.  Sony you lied!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 17:45:12 »
EASILY the BlackBerry Storm ... I went through 8 of them in 1 years time

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:56:57 »

Wow, tigersharkdude,  you either haz too many side girls to call or you rip too many people off on drug deals.

hahahahahahahahaha

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:06:40 »

Wow, tigersharkdude,  you either haz too many side girls to call or you rip too many people off on drug deals.

hahahahahahahahaha

Those things couldn't stay connected to the Verizon network fir anything

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 14:46:56 »

hahahahahahahahaha

Those things couldn't stay connected to the Verizon network fir anything

One day.. Tp4 will haz as many females as tigersharkdude, hopefully utilizing the power of At&t ??

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:26:48 »
LG G4 was the worst Android phone I've ever owned because I went through 4 of them in about 3 months.