Author Topic: Microsoft Surface the only tablet that is a reasonable laptop replacement?  (Read 14538 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Microsoft Surface the only tablet that is a reasonable laptop replacement?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 17:14:26 »
When I had a problem with my dell, it took less than a day.  That's the kind of service contract that I buy.  Overnight, to the location.  I've worked as an A+ Certified tech, so I know how it works.  And using it is worst case.  I haven't had to use most of them.  And if I buy it for 4 years, then I've sold it before it even runs out in every case.  And the release mechanism for the connector also deals with the hinge.  Look at the location.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a Book right now- it's first iteration.  That's the reason I hadn't even looked at the Surface before now.  But I have it, and it's been rock solid.

I get it.  You don't like it.  There's no real need to continue- opinions are personal, and it seems that you have your mind made up, which is cool, and I'm not trying to convince you.  I could point you to the fact that in all of the cases I have contact with people, they've had no problems around the hinge (power, OS stability, sure... patched and better in both cases).  But it is a great feat in engineering, and I look forward to the future iterations.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 17:57:47 »
To the future!  And Happy Thanksgiving!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 08:30:38 »
Well, for better or worse, I got a 2-in-1 rather than a high-powered tablet/laptop replacement.  I figured that if I ever wanted to do something like typing while on the couch or any situation in which I don't have a solid surface for resting the device, it would be nice to have the attached keyboard for balance.  Then I could fold back the keyboard to get it out of the way and use a fancy external keyboard when I am at home.  And then I have the touchscreen and pen for whatever.  I hear a 2-in-1 is the worst of both worlds, but I always have been intrigued, so we'll see how this works out.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 10:33:41 »
Which 2-in-1 did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Offline hurst

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 10:54:03 »
My Surface keeps losing Wifi.

Very annoying.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 12:25:33 »
My Surface keeps losing Wifi.

Very annoying.

That's what you get for Micro$py...

Nawh..hahahahahahha. check if the cable is good,  and it's possible the wifi chip has heat damage..

Make a small partition of 30gb.. and reinstall the whole system on that partition,  and if it works from there,  then it's software,   If not,   probably wifi chip heat damage, or loose antenna, or other board damage.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:05:26 »
Which 2-in-1 did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I decided on a Thinkpad Yoga 260, it seemed like a good combo of price, connections, portability, quality, and user upgradeability.  Plus the Trackpoint, keyboard, and stylus are nice to have.  Although I completely expect Lenovo to track my usage.  :mad:

I was hesitant because Lenovo is going to announce some new Kaby Lake Thinkpad laptops in a couple weeks, although I imagine the availability of those will be even further off and the prices will be twice what I paid here.  I'm only looking for a decent 2-in-1 to browse the web, do some office work, listen to music, watch videos, and play around with a stylus.  So this Yoga 260 should work until I get restless again.

Other devices that I strongly considered were the Vaio Z Canvas (beefy quad-core tablet), Dell XPS, and Surface Pro/Book.  All those were too pricey and overkill for my intended usage, which does not require a super awesome screen.  Plus, I am addicted to the Thinkpad keyboard with Trackpoint.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:25:32 »
Yes, I'm posting in an old thread, but I tried these out yesterday.

I noticed that the most recent Type Cover for the recent Surface tablet had a very slippery key surface, as if the keys had been made of untextured POM or as if they had been coated with lube.
The full-size standalone chiclet "Microsoft Surface Keyboard" did have the same slippery feeling.

I have yet not tried the "Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard", but I don't have my hopes up.
The "Surface Book"'s keyboard wasn't slippery despite looking the same.
Anyway, Microsoft hardware Surface and Surface Book has a very poor reliability record.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 04:38:04 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 20:44:40 »

I noticed that the most recent Type Cover for the recent Surface tablet had a very slippery key surface, as if the keys had been made of untextured POM or as if they had been coated with lube.
The full-size standalone chiclet "Microsoft Surface Keyboard" did have the same slippery feeling.

I have yet not tried the "Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard", but I don't have my hopes up.
Anyway, Microsoft hardware has a very poor reliability record.

I have some old Microsoft mouses that are still going strong some 10+ years later.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 04:37:27 »
I have some old Microsoft mouses that are still going strong some 10+ years later.
Yeah, but I was referring specifically to the recent Surface tablet and Surface Book, not good olde hardware.
Excuse me for being unspecific in my wording.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 09:53:14 »

Anyway, Microsoft hardware Surface and Surface Book has a very poor reliability record.

Good comment:

The real story here is that an organization that does professional reviews is unwilling to give a product an opportunity to convince them their preconceived notions regarding it are wrong.

An honest reviewer must always be willing to dismiss their preconceived notions regarding a product should the real thing either exceed or fail to live up to them. They need to be able to set aside their petty tribalism, their personal preferences, and any rumors they may have heard about the product, instead judging it based purely on what it actually is.

Pre-announcing your decision before you even have the product in your hands is a way of indicating that you're unwilling to do that. That you won't allow yourself to be convinced. That you're being intellectually dishonest with yourself. Why would anyone trust that reviewer?