Author Topic: Matias Tactile Pro 4 review (Matias Clicky switch)  (Read 13857 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Matias Tactile Pro 4 review (Matias Clicky switch)
« on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 10:43:08 »
Today, we finally have a look at a Matias keyboard! Hope you enjoy the video! :)

We're almost at the end of a whole year of weekly keyboard reviews... Well technically I had done reviews before that as well, but a review a week was my plan for this year. I should have enough keyboards to last until the end of the year, too. That said, I might be able to continue on for a while as long as I keep finding keyboards to review... and if you guys still enjoy the videos, of course! So the plans for the future aren't set in stone yet, I'm still thinking of what to do next year, but for the rest of this year at least, I'll keep doing weekly videos :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Tempest790

Re: Matias Tactile Pro 4 review (Matias Clicky switch)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 00:52:08 »
Great review!

I really want to get a Matias keyboard, but I read they keep having quality control problems.  One reviewer on YouTube had his board quit after 20 months and also another friend as well.  Squeaky switches also occur at random on brand new keyboards.  If they ever iron out the issues, I'll give them a try.

That said, I just ordered my first Topre board so I'll see how that is.  I'm mostly a Cherry MX Brown and Red user.

Offline s0nia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 11:21:04 »
How has it held up so far? Heard similar things about the QC.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 19:29:13 »
It looks like this product was discontinued - at least for the ANSI version on the main Matias site.

However it looks like they introducing a new Dvorak QC model https://matias.store/collections/mechanical-keyboards/products/dvorak-pro-keyboard

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:51:58 »
It looks like this product was discontinued - at least for the ANSI version on the main Matias site.

I see no evidence of any discontinuation. What are you seeing?

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:00:16 »

I see no evidence of any discontinuation. What are you seeing?

It used to be on this page : http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

It is no longer there.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:06:43 »

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:16:02 »
Ok I think I was not specific enough - my fault.

Chyros was reviewing the PC version, yes the Mac version still exists but it looks like the PC version was pulled.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 08:04:16 by dante »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:21:23 »
Ah, I see. I wonder why they'd do that? Surely the market isn't THAT small. Curious...

I thought the black case was quite stylish.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:50:26 »
I'm still using the Matias Quiet switch after two years. No QC issue, honestly.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:34:00 »
@Tempest790,

If it's the switches you want to try, another option for you would be the KBParadise V60 or V80, which are offered in Matias Click and Quiet Click.

I have one, and have ZERO complaints about Quality Control. No squeaking at all in my V80 with Click switches.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 21:21:14 »
@Tempest790,

If it's the switches you want to try, another option for you would be the KBParadise V60 or V80, which are offered in Matias Click and Quiet Click.

I have one, and have ZERO complaints about Quality Control. No squeaking at all in my V80 with Click switches.

Well the V80 with Quiet Clicks, has a cheap squeak on the Enter and Back space keys.

The Matias Quiet Clicks are all decent and working, with no cheap or tinny squeaks when pressed hundreds of times.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 10:37:41 »
have the mac matias click, no issues here, 2years also

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:45:58 »
I just received my Matias Mini Tactile Pro in the mail this morning.  First impressions are highly positive.

I'm a little surprised that Matias keyboards and switches don't generate more buzz.  I did some searches on the forums and didn't find much beyond a couple of comments about crummy Matias build quality, with one comparing it to Unicomp.  Looking at this keyboard, I don't see it.  The fit and finish are clean and attractive to me, much nicer than my old Unicomp Spacesaver M.  The lasered legends are not the most lovely that I've ever seen, but they're OK, and the plastic molding looks clean.

I'm new around here and don't have a lot of KB experience compared with most of you, but I do have three mechanical keyboards: the Unicomp, a CyberpowerPC with Outemu blue switches, and now this Matias.  All three are fundamentally good, but I have to rate the Matias as my new favorite.  The key action feels excellent to me, not stiff and clunky like the Unicomp; the spring force is perfect.  The sound is clicky but not super-loud like the Outemus.  I found myself immediately typing faster on the Matias.  (My fingers fumble for the arrow keys, but I'm sure I'll learn quickly!)

Apparently the Windows version of this was discontinued?  Well, I use mostly Mac and Linux here, and I find that Mac layout keyboards work very well for me on Linux.  I just go into the configuration and swap the Control and Command keys, then it's all good.  Windows keyboards are more awkward to me.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 16:38:05 »
I was hesitant to say it, and in a way it was out of balance, and to preserve an impartial judgment, but I honestly think these are possibly the best clicky switches that are still being made today. No, they're certainly not the best switches ever, and Matias could've done better if they had wanted, but really, compared to the opposition, I think these are a VERY competitive choice. Just a shame that the boards tend to be quite expensive.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 17:26:43 »
I was hesitant to say it, and in a way it was out of balance, and to preserve an impartial judgment, but I honestly think these are possibly the best clicky switches that are still being made today. No, they're certainly not the best switches ever, and Matias could've done better if they had wanted, but really, compared to the opposition, I think these are a VERY competitive choice. Just a shame that the boards tend to be quite expensive.
I agree, but what about Unicomp? They still make Membrane buckling springs  :thumb:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 17:31:09 »
I agree, but what about Unicomp? They still make Membrane buckling springs  :thumb:
It's only major competitor, it's precisely why I held back a bit on the Matias. The Matias switches work quite well, but the Unicomp is still a Model M, and it's less expensive.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 17:46:51 »
It's only major competitor [...]

Granted, they're the only current competitor, but let's not forget the new Model F capacitative buckling spring keyboards, once those begin to ship.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 18:48:48 »

I agree with both of your points. They're probably the best new clicky switches out there, and Matias could make them even better. The big problem I have is the quality of case plastic that Matias uses on their KBs. The sound reverberates and there's a hollowness that makes it unnecessarily noisy. I'd love to hear them in a case with better plastics or even a metal one. It's too bad there aren't many Alps DIY kits. The Clueboard PCB can handle Matias switches but the switch plate is made for Cherry/clones.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:44:17 »
It's only major competitor, it's precisely why I held back a bit on the Matias. The Matias switches work quite well, but the Unicomp is still a Model M, and it's less expensive.

Based purely on my experience of today, I'd choose the Matias over the Unicomp hands down.  However...  That's today.  My Unicomp is already five years old and still going strong.  (I did have to send it in for service once when the controller failed, BTW.)  I can't say how I'll feel about the Matias in another five years, or even five months.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 13:28:58 »
I'd also say the Matias are more versatile than buckling springs. You can just remove the switches and put them in another PCB or Plate, more extensive modification, repairs, etc. With a buckling spring board the entire keyboard is sort of its own "mechanism".