Author Topic: [IC] SA ASTRO | Small Update | 10/22/2017  (Read 36983 times)

Offline OCloudNine

[IC] SA ASTRO | Small Update | 10/22/2017
« on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 23:50:34 »
SA ASTRO ᵛᵉʳʸ ˢᵐᵃᶫᶫ update

What's up guys! Gatsby here,
Many of you have asked us when an update is coming on SA NASA, we're not yet indulging on what will come in the set and how special It will be,
but I can tell you this set will be a space geeks fantasy come true! To get you started though we can give you the new name of the set, SA ASTRO.

To address the main question regarding NASA, "Are you still working on it?!?"

Yes, though it has been side tracked by other sets in the making within the group, ASTRO is still the first priority. ASTRO has grown to more than
just a keycap set now, having involved many more community members for when it releases allowing you to pick up the unique cables, artisans and
cases that will go along with the set. @__ is revisiting and simplifying some of the novelties to make production easier, and we're reconnecting
MaxKeys to get on board with the novelties they were struggling with in the beginning. Cases, Cables, Artisans, etc.... Will most likely come before
the set allowing your wallets to rest easy for when the main set drops. ASTRO is still an active project that we're not giving up on,
so keep an eye out for more news. Thanks!

If anyone has anymore questions about ASTRO I would be happy to answer them the best I can without spoiling what's to come!

Sincerely, Gatsby & Cartel.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 14:24:30 by OCloudNine »

Offline e_l_tang

Re: [IC] SA NASA | Feedback
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 00:45:20 »
I find the theme to be a little too similar to that of Godspeed.

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 00:59:39 »

Though godspeed is similar, it in sense would be because his set is based off of NASA as well. I just have a slightly different theme with novitiates of that of the cooperating nations for space exploration.

Thanks for the comment :)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:49:57 »

Not an issue IMO. At the end of the day it's about the colors. Else you could argue Godspeed == Yuri

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 10:59:58 »
I wouldn't put the worm logo in a theme based around the pre1976 logo. They represent two different eras of NASA in both the public mind and the visual aesthetic.

I've been rolling around the idea of ICing a worm based keyset myself for SA - exciting to see an interest from someone else in a set based on the first meatball era!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:47:36 »
Btw your Novelties will mostly not work. ABS Doubleshot keys can only have one color for the legends, so only the NASA enter key and the Atomic symbol will work. The others you might be able to pull off as Dye Subbed PBT keys if you optimize the logos for them.

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 02:43:18 »
Not an issue IMO. At the end of the day it's about the colors. Else you could argue Godspeed == Yuri

Just curious, what godspeed has to do with yuri? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, godspeed was conceived almost one year prior to the carbon/yuri guy registration at geekhack. So if there's any ressemblance (they dont even look similar) it's safe to say that yuri (which never became a group buy to begin with) is the "copycat" (sarcasm). If you're gonna make comparisons at least get your facts together, and I'm saying this because I love godspeed and it's the set that started things for me. Best set ever created and one & only original to the theme.

Godspeed original thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62327.msg1455562#msg1455562

yuri creator's profile  - https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=49352

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 05:08:59 »

Just curious, what godspeed has to do with yuri? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, godspeed was conceived almost one year prior to the carbon/yuri guy registration at geekhack. So if there's any ressemblance (they dont even look similar) it's safe to say that yuri (which never became a group buy to begin with) is the "copycat" (sarcasm). If you're gonna make comparisons at least get your facts together, and I'm saying this because I love godspeed and it's the set that started things for me. Best set ever created and one & only original to the theme.

Godspeed original thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62327.msg1455562#msg1455562

It appears you didn't bother to analyze what I wrote and went straight into rant mode.

You are saying what is essentially the point I was making.

This is what I replied to. The only thing I can see the two sets (SA NASA and SA Godspeed) to have in common is american spaceflight. I found it absurd to shoot down an idea simply because of a shared theme, so my argument was to take this logic and apply it to Godspeed and Yuri (I wish I could let these two names appear in random order), because both of these are themed: Spaceflight! (Hint: Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space). And I do not care about this fact because the colors of SA NASA and SA Godspeeds are way different, and that is all that matters to me.

Secondly, a logic comparison ('Godspeed == Yuri') does not express chronological order, it simply compares two things to one another.

If you're gonna make a rant at least read what you are replying to a second time and think about it. The key word you missed was 'Else', which clearly indicated that this was not actually my opinion, but what would be for the opinion of anybody who applied the 'Same theme = no good' logic to key sets.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 05:11:47 by Oblotzky »

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:18:09 »
Someone got defensive real quick up there lol.

I love this set! Inb4 the haters saying blue and white was done before so can't be done again. Press onwards, i think it's pretty neat!

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:19:44 »
Nice SA set!  :thumb:

Offline Tally810

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 15:27:05 »
I like it.  Might be because I live in houston and am slightly partial though.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 15:55:17 »

Yikes, things like this make me not want to go on the internet for like a week. How can someone go on a colossal rant of these proportions before first making sure they didn't entirely miss the point as was obviously the case? Yikes.

Cringing asides, the set looks nice albeit not my cup of tea as I'm not a big fan of blue on my boards. Best of luck!

Offline AgilePJ

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 16:57:08 »
Definitely interested, though I might be biased given where I work...

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 21:37:35 »
I like it a lot! Maybe a modifier kit with more red accents?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 22:30:55 »
Nice SA set BUT don't use other Nations flags on any Key-set, other than the United States of America because NASA has and always will be USA.

They get all their funding from the Federal Government, always has been since their creation on July 29, 1958.

To now include lesser nations upon the NASA Logo is anti American and down right nasty to the extreme.  Give credit where credit is due and it's the American people who have largely funded NASA for more than 59 years.

We should be seeing more Stars and Stripes here, so go back to the drawing board and work on it some more before giving righteous credit, to a National Institution known the world over as NASA.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 00:30:48 »

Nice SA set BUT don't use other Nations flags on any Key-set, other than the United States of America because NASA has and always will be USA.

They get all their funding from the Federal Government, always has been since their creation on July 29, 1958.

To now include lesser nations upon the NASA Logo is anti American and down right nasty to the extreme.  Give credit where credit is due and it's the American people who have largely funded NASA for more than 59 years.

We should be seeing more Stars and Stripes here, so go back to the drawing board and work on it some more before giving righteous credit, to a National Institution known the world over as NASA.

NASA has collaborated with foreign agencies such as the ESA and the ASI, so they have included themselves with what you believe to be "lesser nations". Seeing as how you believe that credit should be given where credit is due why are you going to disregard what other countries contributed to space exploration. NASA has no problem acknowledging their contribution, yet here you are stating that acknowledging their collaboration with NASA is somehow un-American.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 00:57:49 »
NASA has collaborated with foreign agencies such as the ESA and the ASI, so they have included themselves with what you believe to be "lesser nations". Seeing as how you believe that credit should be given where credit is due why are you going to disregard what other countries contributed to space exploration. NASA has no problem acknowledging their contribution, yet here you are stating that acknowledging their collaboration with NASA is somehow un-American.

Then don't call it a NASA Key-set because here is the exact funding that keeps NASA working and functioning every year;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

I don't see anywhere any monetary contributions from any other Country on Earth.  Please provide a link if you think they do fund NASA in any way?

Next time if anyone wants to lay claim to designing a key-set for NASA then call it that but NEVER lie about any other country deserving equal credit here.  The only other country that actually deserves any recognition here is Russia (USSR) since it's because of their rise into the heavens that prompted the creation of NASA from day one.

Until any other country devises a specific tax to pay NASA year by year, then the claim it belongs to anywhere else may be true but until that actually happens we have the current realization that NASA still belongs to the people of the United States.  In anyone's logic those who pay up own the business or organization and it proudly belongs to the Citizens of the United States.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2017, 01:03:08 by Elrick »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 05:47:18 »

If you don't like RUS/EU flag keys, don't buy it, simple as that. @OCloudNine, if you like it this way, keep it this way, don't let yourself be bullied into changing a neat looking set design. We don't need to politicize ****in keycaps.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 05:56:01 »

If you don't like RUS/EU flag keys, don't buy it, simple as that. @OCloudNine, if you like it this way, keep it this way, don't let yourself be bullied into changing a neat looking set design. We don't need to politicize ****in keycaps.

I endorse this statement!  :thumb:

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 07:05:14 »
Nice set. Interested!  :D

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 12:17:25 »

Amen! I like the set as it is.

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 14:54:09 »

In collaboration with another member, we have teamed up to make a truly amazing set, once we are ready, i'll give you guys an update.

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 14:54:33 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2017, 14:56:21 by OCloudNine »

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 16:49:38 »

In collaboration with another member, we have teamed up to make a truly amazing set, once we are ready, i'll give you guys an update.

Offline __

• Cartel
Re: [IC] SA NASA (Massive Update!)
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 22:50:31 »
Super excited to see how everyone feels about the updated set!

I'm the idiot behind the presentation and custom key designs, so any criticisms there, feel free to hurl them my way folks!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 03:24:04 »
Nice rework! Good luck with your collaboration  :thumb:

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 06:34:55 »
Really like the combination of white, blue and red  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 06:49:16 »
Nice presentation.  Really top notch.

Not really my cup of tea but I wish you luck.  :thumb:

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 11:02:24 »
Whoa! Massive improvement, this is going to be a huge hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 12:14:15 »
Nice rework! Good luck with your collaboration  :thumb:

Thanks man! Yea __ was a major player in this rework  :thumb:

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 12:15:15 »
Whoa! Massive improvement, this is going to be a huge hit

Glad you like it!

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 12:25:00 »
10/10 on presentation. This looks like a pretty nice set.

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 16:24:40 »

Big Bird! Thanks for the like.

And thanks for those custom sleeves and the cables (this is ________________end_ from reddit). They came here so quick and look amazing. I can't wait to get the rest of the parts and finish the boards those are meant for.

I will probably be circling around to you for some more cables in the nearish future, and definitely for some NASA boards if we can get this kit off the ground!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 16:31:24 »

Perfect, keep it conservative and mature just like the Organisation itself.  This colour-way will endear itself across many desks and workstations around the world but will also celebrate a unique government entity that needs recognition, especially today.

Good work thus far  :thumb: .

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:28:41 »
I was just thinking about a set like this the other day when I saw a mission-control themed 40% build, love that classic red NASA logo.

Are there any issues with getting this made, you know, with the real NASA?

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:31:36 by testplsignore »

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 07:27:08 »

That's a situation I'm prepping for. Mito was able to make Godspeed happen with a simplified but identifiable version of the NASA logo, so my hopes are we won't have any trouble with them either.

If we do though, then I'd like to at least move forward with the colorways. We can drop the logos if necessary. Of course, that depends on where the community interest would be without the Meatball and Worm keys.

Offline ionn

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 21:53:45 »
You can "give away" the Meatball & Worm logo keys with all order at a certain price...  :rolleyes:

Offline caveymon

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 03:01:26 »
Looks good! You've piqued my interest.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 10:51:38 »

That's a situation I'm prepping for. Mito was able to make Godspeed happen with a simplified but identifiable version of the NASA logo, so my hopes are we won't have any trouble with them either.

If we do though, then I'd like to at least move forward with the colorways. We can drop the logos if necessary. Of course, that depends on where the community interest would be without the Meatball and Worm keys.
A little bit of Wikipedia surfing revealed what I thought--that as a work of the U.S. government, the NASA logo is in the public domain. However, its use is restricted by 14 CFR 1221 (here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/1221.110). Paragraph (a)(c)(4) appears to require NASA's permission to use the logo in this way, although I don't know that SP would hold you to that.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 11:01:25 »
(4) Items bearing the NASA Insignia such as souvenirs, novelties, toys, models, clothing, and similar items (including items for sale through the NASA employees' nonappropriated fund activities) may be manufactured and sold only after the NASA Insignia application has been submitted to, and approved by, the Associate Administrator for Public Affairs, or designee, NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC 20546.

So I don't think the logo can be licensed by NASA (meaning they can't ask for a fee), but they need to OK the use of the logo.

I'm hopeful though, a keycap set isn't exactly controversial in any way that they could object to.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2017, 11:04:05 by testplsignore »

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 13:34:40 »
Just to clarify - the Godspeed logo isn't exactly a simplified version of the Nasa logo, like the ones you can find on their design catalogues and stuff. I mean, it sort of makes sense to think that it's a simplified official version of their logo when you simply look at the result, because of the similarities, but the Godspeed logo isn't something from Nasa themselves or anything official - I just wanted to make this clear.

More
Instead, the logo I made is a minimalist/vintage interpretation of the official logo, what I think it would look like if the Apollo program had SA keycaps installed on their terminals. Like a fictional story in which the Apollo program took place in our keyboard universe and every astronaut received a terminal to use during the trip. If you look at the project you can see Ergo von Dox, PhD Planck, etc, "characters" that I "created" (and could have been done much better) to give the project some personality and depth, to make it fun.

I try to insert the keysets I contribute to create to some sort of fictional universe, instead of directly implementing colorschemes from somewhere else into a keyboard layout, so they can have an interesting bit of a backstory behind them, like a lore or something. I'm not very good at doing this yet and never done it even remotely right, but I'm working with actually talented people who are helping me to improve. I hope to experiment with more ideas, characters, illustrations, artisans makers and actual writing a bit more in the near future. This is what I enjoy the most about our hobby, not the finished product itself, or anything else. It's my personal philosophy. I know that others have different opinions and approach what we do from a completely different perspective, to each their own.

Could I face legal charges over the logo? Who knows? But I don't think Nasa would go that far over something that was done on a microscopical scale for the sake of artistic celebration/tribute, and wasn't used to disrespect the agency, it's purposes or the american people in any way.

Apparently what you want to make is a real Nasa keyset, that features licensed american logos and stuff, and that's a bit too much in my opinion. I mean, straight out Nasa stuff. Even the names you're using are real. I don't think they would come after you, cause like I said what you're trying to do (and what I did) is just an unharmful microscopical tribute. But using the real symbols could perhaps get you in trouble, like somebody else mentioned it's in the law and stuff, so what I would recommend is do what I did and develop the idea further taking advantage of the artistic perception of the Nasa organization.

There are no limits for the imagination, you can create something very interesting without the need to use the real logos and names. But if you happen to persist in this idea you currently have going on I strongly advise you to formally approach them and ask for a real document that grants you the license to use the logos (and most importantly - the names). Without such permission this endeavor is far too risky in my humble opinion.

PS: The more section is just an insight that I felt like sharing, it's not exactly related to your project but perhaps it can help you in your journey somehow.   

Offline RainbowBlitz

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 21:42:29 »
any plans for a ErgoDox key set?

I would be in for a set if so.

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 12:25:17 »
Just to clarify - the Godspeed logo isn't exactly a simplified version of the Nasa logo, like the ones you can find on their design catalogues and stuff. I mean, it sort of makes sense to think that it's a simplified official version of their logo when you simply look at the result, because of the similarities, but the Godspeed logo isn't something from Nasa themselves or anything official - I just wanted to make this clear.

Apparently what you want to make is a real Nasa keyset, that features licensed american logos and stuff, and that's a bit too much in my opinion. I mean, straight out Nasa stuff. Even the names you're using are real. I don't think they would come after you, cause like I said what you're trying to do (and what I did) is just an unharmful microscopical tribute. But using the real symbols could perhaps get you in trouble, like somebody else mentioned it's in the law and stuff, so what I would recommend is do what I did and develop the idea further taking advantage of the artistic perception of the Nasa organization.

Thanks for weighing in! Yes, I already have a line out with the man who manages all this at NASA. We're waiting on baited breath basically for him to get off vacation (today), get through his email and eventually come around to ours. I suspect their usage requirements are minimal. I've seen their lawsuit history in regards to using their protected marks (which are only Meatball and Worm logos) and it seems like they are relatively restrained. But there still is that history, so we don't want to risk it if we do move forward with the obvious, direct logos or likeness that falls far enough in the gray zone of "spirit of the original" that can skewer someone if the mark's owner decides to pursue anything.

While we probably wouldn't be touched for much - if anything - the main concern is getting the greenlight from SP, since they do turn profits from this stuff, they'd be much more on the line compared to us.

Things like Apollo, Shuttle Orbiter, Gemini, Mercury and NACA emblems and patches are not covered by their trademark protections. It's a very specific law and NASA has been very specific in its enforcement. Mission/Program patches and similar marks are not protected; so even if NASA turns their nose up on us, we only lose the meatball and the worm.

Though, we've already deeply simplified the meatball too. I took your approach to that when making my own reduction, so honestly, we're probably just in a place where we need to get permission on worm, or I'll iterate a knock off - play the Arial to their Helvetica.

Again, thanks for weighing in - and would love your thoughts in general. Loved Godspeed, and obviously, it lit a little fire for us and formulating something honoring spaceflight in our way.

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 12:27:03 »
any plans for a ErgoDox key set?

I started working on ErgoDox blanks mockups last night. They'll be in the Poll so that ergo users can weigh in and vote up the colors they want those blanks in. If we see enough traction on any particular colors, we'll drag those forward with the rest of the set for MoQ quotes from SP and the GB itself.

Offline mniels

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:43:21 »
Very cool. Would love to build my NASA engineer father a board with these!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:09:55 »
Shoot a tweet at Elon and get us a SpaceX novelty key!

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 11:26:53 »
Shoot a tweet at Elon and get us a SpaceX novelty key!

Fantastic idea! I'll do that right away!

Offline DuckNorris

Re: [IC] SA NASA (Renders Coming Soon!)
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:47:56 »
I am very interested. Those blue/red/yellow/white color combinations could look amazing. Some of the most recent sets are too plain with the usual gray and white and some dead blue combination so this is a good change :) . Colors look more alive lol

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:05:26 »
This looks interesting.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:21:52 »
so... alphas, keypad, and 4 sets of mods all in SA sculpted profile. got it.

Offline ticktwo

• -kbdfan
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:53:35 »
white and blue is good combination , interesting

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HHKB | Leopold FC750R | Mech27 (soon) | TX-75 (soon)

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:33:15 »
so... alphas, keypad, and 4 sets of mods all in SA sculpted profile. got it.

That's what we're going for at the moment, almost certainly we will not have 4 sets of modifiers in the group buy, we will leave you guys the community to decide upon what modifiers you want with the set and the keys you would like to see on them. We picked SA as a profile to try and stay as close as we could to the roots in which this set is based off of.

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:35:21 »
Renders up 1/19/2017

Offline afrokobe

Re: [IC] SA NASA (Renders Out - 1/19/2017)
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:55:22 »
That looks awesome

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
Re: [IC] SA NASA - Renders 1/19/2017
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 00:44:20 »
Renders look amazing.

Is this on reddit?

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:01:24 »
Renders look amazing.

Is this on reddit?

Not yet, I'm managing the reddit side of this IC and will be posting the renders when I post the new kits and the next poll (hopefully fri-sat it will happen)

Offline alps_ftw

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 12:57:56 »
Looks really good. I'm in.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:02:55 »
These look really great. Any plans for any compatibility kits? Tsangan/1800/65%/75%?

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 19:48:15 »
These look really great. Any plans for any compatibility kits? Tsangan/1800/65%/75%?

Update coming out in about an hour, should answer all your questions  :thumb:

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:54:25 »

Update coming out in about an hour, should answer all your questions  :thumb:

Exactly what I wanted to hear ;-)

Offline OCloudNine

Re: [IC] SA NASA Phase II - 1/21/2017
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 22:06:18 »
Phase II Update - 1/21/2017

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 22:52:29 »
Finished the poll

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 10:16:12 »
A bit out of topic: what's the font used for the scribble annotations? The one in blue that looks like handwriting. It's beautiful!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 10:22:26 »
Did you actually talk to SP about creating molds for all those space bars?  I don't know all of the ones don't exist off the top of my head, but for instance I do know that they don't have any 6u SA molds.  Honestly I'd be surprised if they have 5.5u and 6.5u as well.

If you're actually going to get them to create any missing molds then I'll be in just to support that, otherwise you should probably remove those options.

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:35:19 »
I will buy this.

Thank you for including the various Mercury, Gemini and Apollo design keys. I love the Gemini logo and will get that!

Bob

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 14:56:20 »
Did you actually talk to SP about creating molds for all those space bars?  I don't know all of the ones don't exist off the top of my head, but for instance I do know that they don't have any 6u SA molds.  Honestly I'd be surprised if they have 5.5u and 6.5u as well.

If you're actually going to get them to create any missing molds then I'll be in just to support that, otherwise you should probably remove those options.

Yeah, if we have to pull 6u and 5.5u we will - at this point it looks like we'll be pulling them no matter what in fact, they just aren't being represented in a way that suggests they'd reach MOQ, based on the polled feedback so far.

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 15:01:25 »
A bit out of topic: what's the font used for the scribble annotations? The one in blue that looks like handwriting. It's beautiful!

I used three different fonts for that!

All are available on dafont.com and are in the public domain; links are setup with preview text to reflect the text they were used for on SA NASA mockups:

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:14:18 »
well, ****. that is a ton more caps. not sure what i am gonna do about these spacebar/blank kits... too many color options and too many keys. i dont think i would ever use all the keys in one of those kits, but definitely need the shorty spacebars for VE.A

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 14:42:07 »
well, ****. that is a ton more caps. not sure what i am gonna do about these spacebar/blank kits... too many color options and too many keys. i dont think i would ever use all the keys in one of those kits, but definitely need the shorty spacebars for VE.A

Hahaha, I know where you're coming from, the pole can be quite overwhelming, vote for your favorites and we will see how things turn out in Phase III!

Thanks for your support - Cloud

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 15:01:00 »

Hahaha, I know where you're coming from, the pole can be quite overwhelming, vote for your favorites and we will see how things turn out in Phase III!

really, my problem is that i'm a completionist. it would bug me to just buy a tkl kit when there is so much more available here. i mean, some of these colorways are very hard to find in SA, but would look great with parts of other sets also!

january was a big month for GMK, but i'm sure that i will spend just as much on SA this year...

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 18:57:56 »

really, my problem is that i'm a completionist. it would bug me to just buy a tkl kit when there is so much more available here. i mean, some of these colorways are very hard to find in SA, but would look great with parts of other sets also!

january was a big month for GMK, but i'm sure that i will spend just as much on SA this year...

Our goal is to make things more manageable for all kinds of buyers, including completionists (speaking as one). We're going to cut down the sets based on the poll's results. So vote for what you think you'd realistically buy/use. Once we wrap up the poll, we're going to extrapolate the vote count to a realistic-ish number of potential buyers/orders and start dropping everything that wouldn't reach an MOQ based on those numbers. From there, we'll take stock of what survived, show the community in a Phase III set of mockups, and build proper order kits to show SP (and possibly other SA manufacturers) to get MOQ pricing for.

Offline lithopedion

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 10:41:24 »
Renders look wonderful! Count me in.

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 12:46:55 »
This is a really cool looking set.

I would get in touch with Signature Plastics. I asked them about a color way yesterday and looks like the SA tooling is booked up for a very long time.

Offline AgilePJ

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 12:54:08 »
I read that it was at least a year...seeing as we would have to wait that long anyway, how about red JPL logo as one of the modifiers? 

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:50:35 »
I read that it was at least a year...seeing as we would have to wait that long anyway, how about red JPL logo as one of the modifiers?

That may be a possibility for more unfortunate reasons (we may be losing the NASA Meatball and Worm logos due to NASA Legal not feeling what we're doing.). But we cannot modify the keyset while waiting on our SP place in the queue. Once we do the GB and get in that queue, the set is set.

However, we're trying to get NASA to come around, otherwise we will be swapping out those novelties with some new ones to help make up for the loss and keep the strong tie to NASA.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:55:39 »

That may be a possibility for more unfortunate reasons (we may be losing the NASA Meatball and Worm logos due to NASA Legal not feeling what we're doing.). But we cannot modify the keyset while waiting on our SP place in the queue. Once we do the GB and get in that queue, the set is set.

However, we're trying to get NASA to come around, otherwise we will be swapping out those novelties with some new ones to help make up for the loss and keep the strong tie to NASA.

Nooooo! why NASA hope those logos dont fall through...

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:51:45 »

Hey question! Do the white alphas have black legends? If so I'll definitely be in for a set if so since besides SA Round 6b (which has no date) there are no other fully sculpted black on white alphas.

Second thing. Have you thought about propositioning them with a "donation" for the use of the logo? Say each person throws in $10 for every novelty set (don't think that breaks the bank) then that money is donated to NASA. Might get them to come around

Offline poolside

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:40:45 »

Hey question! Do the white alphas have black legends? If so I'll definitely be in for a set if so since besides SA Round 6b (which has no date) there are no other fully sculpted black on white alphas.

Second thing. Have you thought about propositioning them with a "donation" for the use of the logo? Say each person throws in $10 for every novelty set (don't think that breaks the bank) then that money is donated to NASA. Might get them to come around

Or the Mira logo?

Offline Valaris

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:55:21 »
How is the poll coming along?

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 04:22:43 »
Any update?

Im so stoked on this and this is the last bit I need to make my sister's end board!!
Reddit: /u/Komatoz

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:22:47 »
Any update?

Im so stoked on this and this is the last bit I need to make my sister's end board!!

Yea an update is coming along, we have been side tracked by college and work between the two of us, but we hope to have a finalized update out soon!  Stay tuned,

Thanks
- Cloud, End

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:23:11 »
Any update?

Yea an update is coming along, we have been side tracked by college and work between the two of us, but we hope to have a finalized update out soon!  Stay tuned,

Thanks
- Cloud, End

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:29:04 »
Any update?

Thanks
- Cloud, End

Sweet!!!! Looking forward to it!!!

Im gonna drop SOOOO MUCH MONEY on this keyset its gonna be almost stupid LOL

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:31:58 »
Any update?

Thanks
- Cloud, End

Hahaha, I'm in the same boat, the almost finalized sets we have now are beautiful, can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it!

Offline Komatoz

• Click Clackity Away~
    • Komatoz Kaps
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:43:58 »
Any update?

Thanks
- Cloud, End

Hahaha, I'm in the same boat, the almost finalized sets we have now are beautiful, can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it!
'

gaaahhh cant wait! :)

Offline mniels

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 14:02:18 »
This needs to happen, like, I don't know....now?

Offline sungwon

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 09:07:29 »

A little bit of Wikipedia surfing revealed what I thought--that as a work of the U.S. government, the NASA logo is in the public domain. However, its use is restricted by 14 CFR 1221 (here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/1221.110). Paragraph (a)(c)(4) appears to require NASA's permission to use the logo in this way, although I don't know that SP would hold you to that.

Hey, Do you know what is your avatar?
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/yb76PD1.jpg)
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 09:10:47 by sungwon »

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 16:23:44 »

The rising sun flag is still utilized in modern days by both maritime and ground self-defense forces. I'm not sure what you're trying to start here...

Offline sungwon

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 18:11:38 »

The rising sun flag is still utilized in modern days by both maritime and ground self-defense forces. I'm not sure what you're trying to start here...

that is the problem.
Germany banned Hakenkreuz, but Japanese never apologize and still use the flag.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 19:02:56 by sungwon »

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:27:32 »
Edit: let's not get into political discussions. As mentioned, the symbol is used today and there's no ban of either the swastika or the rising sun in the United States, thanks to the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Offline sungwon

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 23:42:39 »

Offline joelfong

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 11:45:33 »
Seems interesting. Looking forward for more updates!

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:02:46 »
That may be a possibility for more unfortunate reasons (we may be losing the NASA Meatball and Worm logos due to NASA Legal not feeling what we're doing.)

Obviously, those of us on the "outside" are not privy to the legal issues. But... As a suggestion, perhaps consider donating a portion of the sales to a NASA-related cause like the Space Shuttle Children's Trust Fund. There have been various charities established to aid the families of fallen astronauts and their dependents. There was talk of disestablishing the fund, which was founded after the deaths of heroes Grissom, White and Chaffee.

Then, Challenger struck.

Then, Columbia.

Even a token gesture along these lines might, just might, open some doors. Just something to think about. Perhaps add a donation link along with the purchase links on Massdrop or wherever. NASA respects it's history. A small thing like this might have an impact.

Thank you for listening.

Bob

Offline myoung34

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 09:48:30 »
Im in as soon as its live!

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:52:41 »

Offline TheHye

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 01:43:31 »
This is an awesome set man.

Offline breckstar

Offline OCloudNine

Re: [IC] SA NASA | Update is coming soon | 7/20/2017
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 14:24:10 »
A short update from the team. Check Main page :)

Offline bciamny

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 15:21:17 »
aw man, i'm so glad to see this moving forward :)

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #100 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:07:30 »
where is the update?

edit: i see it now, but the text is same color as background for me lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:13:22 by afrokobe »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 22:31:47 »
hrm.. maxkeys has backed away from several opportunities already.  I guess they have plenty of business, but seems like the more established companies go the extra mile to make sets happen regardless. 
keyboards.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 22:53:34 »
SA NASA an update is coming:

Show Image

What's up guys! Cloud here.
It's been 48 years since we've landed on the moon and 180 days since we last gave the community an update on SA NASA,
so without further ado here's a small update on what is to come and what has happened so far with SA NASA.

Throughout this year we have been contacting several companies on the making of quality SA Keycaps.
We decided to contact MaxKeys and see if they were up to the challenge of making this beautiful set a reality,
sadly it was a no go with MaxKeys, after weeks of back and forth adjusting the novelty keys to their requests,
they said they wouldn't do them and decided to back away from the set and us all together. We are in contact
with another company right now and are receiving samples of the keys very soon! For the last little update it's
a word from all of us working on SA NASA.

We appreciate the out flow of support that you guys have brought for our set, we are dedicated to making this
set a reality and really giving you guys something special for when it arrives at your doorstep. All I can say for now,
 is that we have a massive update on the horizon. So stay tuned for our next Phase of SA NASA.

Sincerely, OCloudNine & Cartel.

Thanks for the update.  Just a suggestion, don't change the default text color in posts.  I use a light theme for Geekhack, so your message was white on white.  I just happened to select the text by accident and noticed it was there under the image.

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 01:53:24 »
Yea sorry about that, I use the dark theme and totally forgot about the white on white  :thumb:

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:42:38 »
Yea sorry about that, I use the dark theme and totally forgot about the white on white  :thumb:

Any updates since last update? Am interested in this set.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 00:13:29 »
Anything else but SP fully sculptured SA is a no go for me.

Is this satire?

If not, why do you feel this way?

Also, what other company are you using?

I'm quite curious.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:01:24 »
Anything else but SP fully sculptured SA is a no go for me.

Is this satire?

If not, why do you feel this way?

Also, what other company are you using?

I'm quite curious.

Lack of layout support is a valid concern. Also finish is different. Personally I prefer SP's spherical shape over MaxKeys as well. And the limitations due to production workflow would also affect the design (e.g. color distribution), and it would be sad to have such a nice set not be able to show it's true potential due to such limitations.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 08:15:28 »
Lack of layout support is a valid concern. Also finish is different. Personally I prefer SP's spherical shape over MaxKeys as well. And the limitations due to production workflow would also affect the design (e.g. color distribution), and it would be sad to have such a nice set not be able to show it's true potential due to such limitations.

These are all valid concerns. Thanks for shedding some more light on it! :)

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:02:57 »
I am working on collecting most of the Godspeed kits for my build but would sell the lot if this thing ever gets made.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline Slimko

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 11:17:13 »
Any news on this set? I'd buy it in a second if it comes out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline OCloudNine

Re: [IC] SA ASTRO | Update is coming soon | 11/22/2017
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:25:20 »
Update 10/22/2017
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:29:56 by OCloudNine »

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
Re: [IC] SA ASTRO | Small Update | 10/22/2017
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 14:04:01 »
Any update on the layouts etc that will be part of the GB?

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:24:57 »

Yea we will have mostly every layout you could imagine. ErgoDox, plank, basic, etc... It's a pretty massive set  :thumb:

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:26:31 »

Yea we will have mostly every layout you could imagine. ErgoDox, plank, basic, etc... It's a pretty massive set  :thumb:
ISO?

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:19:51 »
Is this thread dead? It has been over a year now since the first announcement. Nothing happened so far, which I find quit frustrating.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:03:54 »
SP SA queue is down to 5-6 months, let's do this properly?  ;)

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:09:59 »

Yeah now would be the time to get on it if this set is ever to be run. I actually didn't know about this set till today, but I'd be willing to support it if it's still on the cards. I love the NASA theme, also I think I could make a few decent combos with this set & my SA Godspeed set. :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:11:59 »
Yes, please.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 07:02:20 »
I buy everything space themed in all my hobbies...

You can count on me to continue the trend with this set.

Another cool "enter" key novelty would be a profile of one of the Saturn rockets.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 12:24:02 »
You've gotta make this happen! I need this set.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 12:40:56 »
:thumb:

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 13:05:06 »
Just seeing this, it must happen!  If only for that awesome enter key!!

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 14:24:24 »
This is the truth right here. I got the feeling that SP is not flooded with work atm, in 2017 there were only 3 groupbuys afaik. I am obviously not an expert with creating keysets, but isn't the majority of the design already done?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 14:48:58 »
i am not an SA guy, but this could be my gateway drug. +1 SP

Offline Valaris

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 15:00:09 »
Please make this happen. I don't have a keyboard for it now but that's just an excuse to buy another one.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 15:32:18 »
Our plan is to revisit this project and update/adjust some things within. Hopefully we can post an update soon.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 16:56:05 »
This with the new Mars Keyboard has me thinking...

Offline Valaris

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:58:30 »
Our plan is to revisit this project and update/adjust some things within. Hopefully we can post an update soon.

I'm a month late, but glad to hear it!

Offline woodrow

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 19:44:49 »
Hello, I made an account just to ask about this potential set of keycaps. I know it is probably a long shot, but has there been any progress on this set? I especially love the red ones.

Thank you

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 07:18:54 »
lmao wow TBT. Cartel is ded, just like this project