Author Topic: Is Signature Plastics worth it? How else to find vintage looking keycaps?  (Read 20920 times)

Offline kc5vdj

Re: Is Signature Plastics worth it? How else to find vintage looking keycaps?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:53:29 »
SP are the only ones with molds fit to do doubleshot sphericals other than the cheap Filco ones.

I have been waiting for over a year now (I don't check every day, should I?) to find a nice SA set with transparent doubleshot for backlit keys.

How long should I wait before I just give up?

I'm about to be building a monster rig once my father's probate clears, and I was hoping that some SA caps that look good and are backlight compatible would be available soon.

Late edit: Well, to be exact, I am looking for a tasteful PBT set with functional (special keys vs alphanumeric vs function)) two-tone or even tri-color with the doubleshot being translucent lettering with MX stems.  I guess that's a more proper way of saying what I want.

Signature/Pimp has some sets that look nice, but they never seem to have the translucent doubleshot lettering.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:10:24 by kc5vdj »

Offline zslane

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:33:49 »
Practically nobody does double-shot PBT because of the difficulty with shrinkage during the second shot stage. SP doesn't do it, and probably never will.

As far as I know, SP only has one vaguely translucent (ABS) plastic for use as the first shot, and it's their "yellow glow" color. But I've never seen it used in a keycap set before, so I don't know how well it performs with backlighting.

Plenty of other companies offer cheap backlit double-shot (ABS) keycaps with their RGB keyboards, but they are all cylindrical, not spherical.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:35:03 »
SP have basically said they will never do a full set of PBT doubleshot keycaps, much less in SA profile, due to the tooling changes required for the different shrink rate of PBT vs ABS.

If you want a double shot PBT set with translucent legends for backlighting, your best bet would be something like these (OEM profile from Vortex): https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

There are a few sets on Amazon, as well, but I'm not sure about the quality.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kc5vdj

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:45:01 »
SP are the only ones with molds fit to do doubleshot sphericals other than the cheap Filco ones.

I have been waiting for over a year now (I don't check every day, should I?) to find a nice SA set with transparent doubleshot for backlit keys.

How long should I wait before I just give up?

I'm about to be building a monster rig once my father's probate clears, and I was hoping that some SA caps that look good and are backlight compatible would be available soon.

Late edit: Well, to be exact, I am looking for a tasteful PBT set with functional (special keys vs alphanumeric vs function)) two-tone or even tri-color with the doubleshot being translucent lettering with MX stems.  I guess that's a more proper way of saying what I want.

Signature/Pimp has some sets that look nice, but they never seem to have the translucent doubleshot lettering.

Just got a note back from Signature Plastics on the question: "On your SA "Dancer" set. Is the doubleshot letter translucent for backlight compatibility?":

Melissa Petersen (Signature Plastics)

Feb 21, 12:37 PST

Thanks for the request! Unfortunately no, our keys are all opaque.

Melissa

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:49:40 »
The only full set that has been made by SP with semi-transparent (polycarbonate) legends was double shot ABS based, in DCS profile, with community-owned Cherry-replica legend font: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50292.0

They have done a few assorted caps with polycarb legends, but no other full sets to my knowledge.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kc5vdj

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:51:12 »
SP have basically said they will never do a full set of PBT doubleshot keycaps, much less in SA profile, due to the tooling changes required for the different shrink rate of PBT vs ABS.

If you want a double shot PBT set with translucent legends for backlighting, your best bet would be something like these (OEM profile from Vortex): https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

There are a few sets on Amazon, as well, but I'm not sure about the quality.

Thanks (and to the others who answered here too).  Interesting on that link.  POM is used in waterblocks, and might actually be worthy for the long term, but well, 20 or 30 years from now is the real test, I guess.

I was wondering why it is so rare to see such caps with translucent lettering.  I know Corsair now has their DCS profile PBT aftermarket cap sets that have translucent doubleshots.  I wonder if they know something that the others don't, or are just taking the risk that people won't care in the long term if they shrink?

Offline zslane

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:07:40 »
All it takes is a custom keyset designer to put translucent legends on every keycap. If you want to know why you don't see it more often, you'll have to ask everyone who has tried their hand at keyset design.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:08:04 »
I was wondering why it is so rare to see such caps with translucent lettering.  I know Corsair now has their DCS profile PBT aftermarket cap sets that have translucent doubleshots.  I wonder if they know something that the others don't, or are just taking the risk that people won't care in the long term if they shrink?

There are a few companies now that are making double shot PBT caps, some with translucent (POM?) legends. Some companies have chosen to take the risk of retooling their production lines to account for the different shrinkage rate of PBT versus ABS, and are now seeing benefit from it. Other companies may already have a full production schedule with the tooling they have, and thus cannot commit to making big changes that might disrupt production or which may see minimal return in relation to capital expenditures investments. For example, SP's SA production line is queued through the end of 2018 at least, and any new designs will probably not be in production for a year or more. They also have a large industrial customer base, although as you can see their attention has been drawn to the enthusiast community in recent years by increased demand for custom keysets.

Backlit keyboards honestly only became a thing within the last few years, so production of compatible keycaps will naturally lag behind a bit. Add to that the fact that most people don't know or care what material their keycaps are made from, or that there even exists a difference in durability, quality, and feel. The enthusiast community is growing, but we are still a drop in the bucket compared to the overall market. Luckily, some of our requests have spilled over into the "gaming" market, so companies like Corsair, Cooler Master, and Logitech have started to fill that niche to meet demand.

in memoriam

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:45:33 »
SP does still do the polycarb legending if you ask, but nobody really wants to  do it because it crosshatches the legend

personally i think that looks good, but to each their own
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90