Author Topic: [IC] DSA Stranger Keys  (Read 4967 times)

Offline mgsickler

[IC] DSA Stranger Keys
« on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:49:50 »
UPDATE - 12/17/2017 - Currently on hold. Need to focus on some other projects first.

Hello all,

I have been making updates to this IC on reddit, but I figure it would be best to have it here as well. I am currently working on a set based on Stranger Things - called Stranger Keys. The profile will be DSA. I am not one to use forums a lot, so I apologize if the formatting isnt very good.

Latest render with no gradient

Old render with gradient.

And here is the KLE render of the original set

And finally the novelties

Pantone Colors
the dark blue - 296C
the dark red - 7627 C
the medium red - 7626 C
the light red - 7625 C

Next steps and things to do
- Figure out a good compatibility kit. I am just looking to have one complete set for this
- Get Pricing from SP
- Group Buy - I would like to get the group buy to launch the same day season 2 airs - October 27th.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 14:12:57 by mgsickler »

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] DSA Stranger Keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 01:22:51 »
sugoi!

Offline mudcakehoney

[IC] DSA Stranger Keys
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 01:36:40 »
I can hear the 80’s synth soundtrack that goes along with this already

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 08:03:28 »
Love the show, liking the concept as well as the profile, not as big on the colourscheme - it's very fitting, no doubt about that, I just am not super sold on the soft gradient (though I understand that without it the set may lose some appeal).

Best of luck, excited to see this develop!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:27:50 »
Love the show, liking the concept as well as the profile, not as big on the colourscheme - it's very fitting, no doubt about that, I just am not super sold on the soft gradient (though I understand that without it the set may lose some appeal).

Thanks! I wanted to get this group buy going by October 27th, but I am not sure if I will be able to.

Appreciate it.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:48:16 »

Thanks! I wanted to get this group buy going by October 27th, but I am not sure if I will be able to.

Appreciate it.

Too many DSA sets coming out!!

How many weeks will the GB run (so I can save even more money since I've already joined 4 DSA keyset groupbuys in October)?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:46:35 »
Came expecting a set based on Dr. Strange.  Leaving disappointed. :(

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:33:57 »
I'm not a huge fan of the gradient tbh.  I think it'd look really cool if you just used the darkest red, would make for a nice low-contrast dark set that captures the spirit of the upside down.  Would also help with taking advantage of DSA's profile i.e. the ability to put keys wherever you want without worrying about the gradient.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 14:39:17 »
I'm not a huge fan of the gradient tbh.  I think it'd look really cool if you just used the darkest red, would make for a nice low-contrast dark set that captures the spirit of the upside down.  Would also help with taking advantage of DSA's profile i.e. the ability to put keys wherever you want without worrying about the gradient.

I'm getting some new renders made with just the dark red. It would make it a lot easier for people to be able to use different layouts if I did that. I have had more requests for that as well. Give me a couple days and I will have a new render made up.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:17:58 »
I remember you mentioning that you thought the set worked better in DSA than GMK, but is there any reason you're going with DSA over something like Maxkeys SA?

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 08:39:31 »
I would be hella keen for an SA profile

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:14:07 »
Hush, DSA is the bee's knees.  No changey!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 11:49:13 »
I remember you mentioning that you thought the set worked better in DSA than GMK, but is there any reason you're going with DSA over something like Maxkeys SA?

SA would be better as far as capturing a retro look, but I assume DSA was chosen for the ease of layout compatibility.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:00:16 »
Ignoring the challenge of supporting the myriad keyboard layouts that are now popular, I really like the colorway and gradient. 

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:24:26 »

SA would be better as far as capturing a retro look, but I assume DSA was chosen for the ease of layout compatibility.

It could done in SA R3...
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 01:01:24 »
There are far to many SA kits out right now and not everyone is a fan of SA. I would go from watching this... to forgetting it exist if it went SA. Thats the sad truth of it! I think DSA is really under popularized standard. Specially when 90% of all kits are GMK ((Cherry)) are SA profile.

As far as the Gradient goes not a huge fan of it either and can't wait to see the renders.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 15:21:06 »

I really want a nice set with lots of compatibility. MaxKeys doesnt have a lot of compatibility just yet.

There are far to many SA kits out right now and not everyone is a fan of SA. I would go from watching this... to forgetting it exist if it went SA. Thats the sad truth of it! I think DSA is really under popularized standard. Specially when 90% of all kits are GMK ((Cherry)) are SA profile.

As far as the Gradient goes not a huge fan of it either and can't wait to see the renders.

Just updated the original post with a new render. I'm currently working on what keys I want included to make a nice and easy all in one kit.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 15:33:25 »
Much better.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 16:15:14 »
Gradient idea was awesome, but this just looks much better.   :thumb: :thumb:

Really digging the gray too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 16:25:56 by reececonrad »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 18:47:23 »
This looks a ton better but can I suggest holding off on doing it? Its looking like half the keyset drops lately are not hitting MOQ and I want this one to hit MOQ. I think the markets just saturated with sets.. and Lazer and Holiday's and group buys etc etc.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 19:21:22 »
It still looks good without the gradient but the blue looks almost black in the new render, and the red looks like a stock SP color now.  Have you changed the colors you plan to use?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 05:59:12 »
It still looks good without the gradient but the blue looks almost black in the new render, and the red looks like a stock SP color now.  Have you changed the colors you plan to use?

Same colors, render was just made using a different lighting I believe.