Author Topic: [IC] 19//96, a Top-Mounted and MX+Alps 96-key Keyboard (Prototype Received)  (Read 25055 times)

Offline ns90

Re: [IC] A 96-Key Keyboard with Alps/MX Support (Now with an IC Survey)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:22:05 »
Now a 96-key with clicky Whites just sounds lovely.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:09:18 »
I'd probably be in on this pending final price and assuming I don't get in on lightsaver which is probably a safe bet.

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:38:01 »
Hello, I am very interested! I have a few questions though. Will there be a brass weight insert and different plate color options? I wanna do a black and gold theme.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:44:27 »
Will there be a brass weight insert and different plate color options? I wanna do a black and gold theme.
Yes, there was a typo in the OP. It should have said 'brass' not 'bronze.' I have corrected it now. All of the final anodization options for the case should be available for the plate as well.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 00:07:17 »
Just as an update, I ordered the Rev2 PCBs and I'm currently having the prototype fabbed. I should have an update by the end of the month.

Offline Radlife

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 00:49:21 »
I'm glad to see a lot of progress happening here, love alps switches  :thumb:

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:03:19 »
Just as an update, I ordered the Rev2 PCBs and I'm currently having the prototype fabbed. I should have an update by the end of the month.

Where will the USB port be located be located on the final PCB design? I have NOS Blue Alps waiting for a new home :p keep up the good work!
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:26:02 »

Where will the USB port be located be located on the final PCB design? I have NOS Blue Alps waiting for a new home keep up the good work!
Probably on the left side where it is now unless there's a lot of backlash around it. Right now it's between the ESC and F1 keys.

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:27:24 »
Will the weight insert be a plate only visible when opening up the board or will it be visible through the bottom like the X60.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:30:35 »
Will the weight insert be a plate only visible when opening up the board or will it be visible through the bottom like the X60.
It's visible on the bottom, the current renders show how it will appear unless things change.

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:46:46 »
Really glad to see a new alps custom layout arise. Only problem I forsee is caps for a short shift and arrow cluster. Depending on the timing and price, I'd be in for one.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:50:28 »
Was wondering will the stabilizer cutouts be compatible with MX type stabs? I think quite a few will be using it with the upcoming DSA Granite and Hyperfuse sets.

Also, will the PCB be compatible with ZZ96 or Lightsaver cases?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:52:08 »
Really glad to see a new alps custom layout arise. Only problem I forsee is caps for a short shift and arrow cluster. Depending on the timing and price, I'd be in for one.
Well... soon we'll have DSA lightcycle and granite... which leads me into:

Was wondering will the stabilizer cutouts be compatible with MX type stabs? I think quite a few will be using it with the upcoming DSA Granite and Hyperfuse sets.
Yes! Of course. That's part of why I'm doing this.

No, it's a new design that isn't compatible with anything else (as far as I know).

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:58:59 »

It would be nice to see the PCB fit in the LightSaver V1/V2 and ZZ96 cases. The new Matias PBT keycaps will be compatible with costar and alps stabilizers so that may be something to consider?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 02:01:44 »
Well... soon we'll have DSA lightcycle and granite... which leads me into:

But.. but :-[ DSA. DSA Lightcycle was pretty pricey for full compatibility, iirc 270 for all the keys.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 02:04:20 »
It would be nice to see the PCB fit in the LightSaver V1/V2 and ZZ96 cases. The new Matias PBT keycaps will be compatible with costar and alps stabilizers so that may be something to consider?
I don't own a Lightsaver or ZZ96 so I have no way to take measurements for them, haha. I'm planning to support all of the stabilizers that I can but since the Matias stabilizers won't be available for a while I don't want to count on them for this.

But.. but :-[ DSA. DSA Lightcycle was pretty pricey for full compatibility, iirc 270 for all the keys.
That's fair. Well, you can always use one of the more standard layouts. Plus, you can mix and match among all of the Alps keysets, IBM 5140s and a number of TaiHao boards have a 1.75u RShift.

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 14:29:01 »
Any chance the PCB can be white to further accentuate the lighting through the acrylic?
I've noticed the lighting are more evenly distributed with an white PCB versus Black one, especially, without an reflective panel.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 15:02:29 »
Any chance the PCB can be white to further accentuate the lighting through the acrylic?
I've noticed the lighting are more evenly distributed with an white PCB versus Black one, especially, without an reflective panel.
The prototype PCBs are, in fact, white. I would be OK with using it for the final color but my only complaints with White PCBs (in general) are that they tend to show soldering marks more clearly.

Here is a picture of the prototype PCB:
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 18:28:04 by Wingpad »

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:43:14 »
I haven't run into the soldering mark issue on an white PCB maybe due to how I solder. Either way, it wouldn't be visible once assembled. BTW PCB looks good! Just prefer the under glow to be more evenly distributed reflecting off the white PCB. An white reflector panel works too if you do choose to go with black. I've recently build an KBD75 with similar underglow design that utilizes white PCB and an reflector panel.

Offline kablekill

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:48:32 »
I could see myself very interested in this board. Any updates on this at the moment?
Poker II(Red), QuickFire TK(Red), DK9008G2(Red), Keycool 84(Red), Race II(Red)
Bro Caps - Star Cluster V2, Interstellar Blue V2, Nebulus V2, Andromeda Skies V2

Offline Data

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 06:45:18 »
Looking good.  :thumb:

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 06:50:17 »
I could see myself very interested in this board. Any updates on this at the moment?
The prototype is being anodized so it should be shipped my way within a week. I'm waiting on it before ordering the next round of test PCBs to physically verify everything first. The PCBs will then take another week or so after that. So it's moving along, just a bit slower than I had hoped. Hopefully I'll have everything put together by the end of the month.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 00:26:24 »
The prototype came in, here is an album with some pictures. Let me know what you guys think :)

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 09:58:13 »
Looks hot, and just my color too!  Can't wait to see it built up.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 12:12:51 »
Very excited for this! Any chance the holes are holtite compatible without drilling?

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 16:17:45 »
The prototype came in, here is an album with some pictures. Let me know what you guys think :)

She's a beauty! Got a name?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 16:20:34 »
Got a name?
Going with 19//96 I think, for a few reasons. The keyboard is a 96-key keyboard. The Xerox Docutech that donated the switches to make my build feasible was built in 1996. The slashes are a reference to the top-row keys of a Xerox Docutech keyboard, since they feature similar slashes. And, finally, I was born in 1996. It fared pretty well in the polls so I think it will work :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Thought I marked my interest for this, but I guess not.

Hoping not to miss out.

Offline kawasaki161

Damn, that prototype is sexy af.

Were you able to get it manufactured in the US or did you have to get it done somewhere else?

Offline hikasaki

Damn, that prototype is sexy af.

Were you able to get it manufactured in the US or did you have to get it done somewhere else?

I'm curious as well

Got a name?
Going with 19//96 I think, for a few reasons. The keyboard is a 96-key keyboard. The Xerox Docutech that donated the switches to make my build feasible was built in 1996. The slashes are a reference to the top-row keys of a Xerox Docutech keyboard, since they feature similar slashes. And, finally, I was born in 1996. It fared pretty well in the polls so I think it will work :)
I can dig that

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Unfortunately, I had to do it elsewhere, prototyping costs in the states are very high. Once/if I get funded (via the Group Buy), I will have prototypes fabbed in the US to test the final design, domestic producer and anodization quality.

Offline kawasaki161

Unfortunately, I had to do it elsewhere, prototyping costs in the states are very high. Once/if I get funded (via the Group Buy), I will have prototypes fabbed in the US to test the final design, domestic producer and anodization quality.

I'll just lean out of the window and guess it was EVE, wasn't it? The finish looks so similar to the Mira Prototypes.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid

I'll just lean out of the window and guess it was EVE, wasn't it? The finish looks so similar to the Mira Prototypes.
I can neither confirm nor deny this statement 😉

Offline Data

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 20:37:39 »

Offline breckstar

Any updates on a GB date?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Any updates on a GB date?
No, still trying to get some things sorted out on my end. Need to get another revision of the PCB, make some final design calls then talk to vendors to get updated quotes. Probably won't happen until mid-August.

Offline ALKAHEST

Amazing work, can't wait to see a fully built prototype.
I'm definitely in on this one, will probably build one with Zealios rocking GMK Laser.  :thumb:
"Doesn't look like anything to me."

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
Just checking the PCB render, it seems there's no support at all for Cherry PCB mounted stabs, is this correct? (This is especially relevant as the new SP Alps Granite kit all uses Cherry stabilisers).

Also, it seems this version of the PCB only support through hole diodes, will you consider using a combined footprint that supports both through hole and SOD123 SMD diodes (like the ones on Hasu Alps64 PCB)? I think SMD diodes are much easier to deal with than through hole.

Glad to see more updates!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Just checking the PCB render, it seems there's no support at all for Cherry PCB mounted stabs, is this correct? (This is especially relevant as the new SP Alps Granite kit all uses Cherry stabilisers).
None of the Rev2 PCBs had Cherry PCB mounted stabs, this was largely because I wanted a quick prototype to test things with. The Rev3's will certain have them, and will likely be in the form of two PCBs, MX-only and Alps-only. This is because it is impossible to simultaneously support all of the layouts for the bottom row and the capslock key all at once. I am still trying to avoid having two PCBs, though.

Also, it seems this version of the PCB only support through hole diodes, will you consider using a combined footprint that supports both through hole and SOD123 SMD diodes (like the ones on Hasu Alps64 PCB)? I think SMD diodes are much easier to deal with than through hole.
The final PCB will likely be SMD-only and will ship with SMD diodes pre-installed. The through-holes were also chosen for prototyping purposes (since I tend to find them easier to deal with, personally).

Offline Techlet

I wish the front of the case didn't have that cutout on the bottom. Makes the keyboard look squashed.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
I wish the front of the case didn't have that cutout on the bottom. Makes the keyboard look squashed.
Sorry to hear that. That being said, I am not even sure which cutout you are referring to, the diffuser?

At this point, the design has been fairly well received so it is pretty much finalized, but I'd like to hear what you are talking about for future designs.

Offline Techlet

This bit here: http://i.imgur.com/fN8mLHq.jpg

The side profile of the top frame isn't a "complete" rectangle and has a wedge of material taken out of it. Makes the case look squashed IMO.

Everything else looks fantastic.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid

The side profile of the top frame isn't a "complete" rectangle and has a wedge of material taken out of it. Makes the case look squashed IMO.

While I see where you're coming from, that is actually one of the things I like about this side profile design so I probably won't be changing it. To get rid of it reduces it to a more standard design that I'm not a really fan of (since you basically have to go to a straight cutout all the way down vs. this angled one). Thanks for your feedback, though.

Offline hikasaki

While I see where you're coming from, that is actually one of the things I like about this side profile design so I probably won't be changing it. To get rid of it reduces it to a more standard design that I'm not a really fan of (since you basically have to go to a straight cutout all the way down vs. this angled one). Thanks for your feedback, though.

I love that design though! Glad it's not being change. Looking forward to the GB. Hopefully I can pick up 2 MX kits.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Yo... What's the status on this?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Yo... What's the status on this?
I have been busy with other things (non-hobby-related life things) recently but I plan to start working on this again soon. I have some minor tweaks to make to the PCB and research on vendors/suppliers to do but once that is all done, I will open the GB and publish my manufacturing plan/timeline. If I were to open the GB now, my focus would be split between it and other things so you guys (the customers) would only suffer for it. As such, I figure waiting until I get all of my ducks in a row is probably the better option and, therefore, the project is temporarily on "hiatus." Sorry for the delays, I was hoping to open this in mid-July but life got in the way and pushed the start date back.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
No worries. I had this bookmarked and forgot about it until cleaning out my bookmarks.

Definitely want in.

Offline mintyfruits

This may be way too late in the process, but a split backspace 96-key would be amazing. I would be extremely interested if that could happen...

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
This may be way too late in the process, but a split backspace 96-key would be amazing. I would be extremely interested if that could happen...
The PCB has support for split backspace, the universal Cherry plate will have it but whether or not it makes it to any of the Alps variations is TBD.

Offline mintyfruits

Then I'll join when/if it happens :)