Author Topic: How to replace a Model F spring?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline zooksman

How to replace a Model F spring?
« on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 19:47:58 »
I got a Model F XT in its original box recently on a pretty good deal. But I noticed that the spring under the 8 key on the numpad is bent. It registers as being pressed continuously or sometimes not at all. The switch doesn't click, feels almost linear. My plan was to just switch the spring with a less consequential key, but I can't seem to remove the thing. The chopstick method doesnt seem to work, it won't grip the spring since it wont go in far enough. Any ideas on how to fix it bar disassembling the whole thing? If thats what it takes I'll do it. Also, any idea on where to get a replacement? Thanks.

Offline OldIsNew

Re: How to replace a Model F spring?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 21:54:25 »
Have you whittled down the end of the chopstick/skewer so that it fits better? I've had no problems replacing F XT springs with Ripster's method once the skewer fits properly. Link: http://imgur.com/a/6bnzW.

Also orihalcon has springs and barrels for sale on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-F-XT-Keyboard-Part-1x-Spring-Hammer-and-Barrel-Set-/272068789903?hash=item3f5890468f:g:hxIAAOSwbdpWZMHt

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 04:27:49 »
It is not Ripster's method, it is Sandy's.  (Sandy55)

When removing, if you give it a bit of a twist it should come out.   I hadn't used a chopstick when removing, just got a grip on the tip of the spring, a slight pull and a twist.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 18:43:32 »
Any ideas on how to fix it bar disassembling the whole thing? If thats what it takes I'll do it. Also, any idea on where to get a replacement? Thanks.

I believe you can still order buckling springs from Unicomp. Just order the Model M "pivot plate and spring assembly", get some extras too.  You never know when you need the springs. (Of course the Model M hammers are useless for a Model F, but the springs are.)
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/PVPLASM
Hope this helps!

Offline zooksman

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 19:13:25 »
Well I managed to get them out by just twisting and pulling, but now I can't get the damn things back in. The skewer just hits the peg when I push in and turn and I can't get the spring to lock in. Nothing seems to work. Also I have a spare model m, are those springs compatible with this board?

Offline zooksman

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 19:22:49 »
Doh. I was turning it the wrong direction, so I managed to get it back in. Still wondering about those model m springs though

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 08:21:17 »
Doh. I was turning it the wrong direction, so I managed to get it back in. Still wondering about those model m springs though
Yes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:11:15 »
Did anyone ever work out what the differences between M and F springs are?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 16:40:54 »
I think the consensus is that they feel about the same, with the F being marginally lighter.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 22:16:23 »
The F spring seems a little longer with more coils (closer together).

The different flipper size might compensate for that - need a tighter spring to flip the F flipper perhaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:27:13 »
The Model F pivot plate does not need to actually "do" anything except rock downwards and momentarily change the capacitance between contacts.

The "foot" of the Model M actually presses down on one membrane to cause it to deflect downwards and make electrical contact with the matching dot below it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 22:12:01 »
The Model F pivot plate does not need to actually "do" anything except rock downwards and momentarily change the capacitance between contacts.

The "foot" of the Model M actually presses down on one membrane to cause it to deflect downwards and make electrical contact with the matching dot below it.

Interesting.

So really you'd need a heavier spring in the M to better move the flipper.