Author Topic: HHKB not recognized by Mac on wake from sleep  (Read 12333 times)

Offline TopreFan333

HHKB not recognized by Mac on wake from sleep
« on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 09:08:47 »
This never used to be the case, but lately when I wake up my iMac, my HHKB is unresponsive until I unplug it and plug it back in. It definitely didn't do this before the past month or so, was always just connected all the time.

The way I'm waking up the computer is to click the mouse, which is wireless, and runs through a little wireless receiver which is plugged into one of the two USB ports on the back of the HHKB. So that tells me that at the very least, the receiver is still connecting to the mouse (and the computer) enough to make it work. But even so, the HHKB stays unresponsive to typing until I unplug that cable and replug it. I'm doing that from the keyboard end, btw, since it's easier to reach.

Also of note: occasionally, the mouse will suddenly stop working right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. The fix is to just unplug and replug that little wireless receiver, then all is well again.

I'm not connecting via a hub of any kind, just one of the iMac's built-in USB ports. I've tried restarting the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit 1/18/18 -- this seems to be the solution to the problem, pasting it in immediately below

Registering just for this post.... :)

I had the same problem with my HHKB Pro2 Type S for months. A thread on reddit from u/cotton100 saved me -

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/65gnvf/hhkb_not_waking_after_sleep_macos_sierra_10124/dmyhzpl/

Quote:
I asked PFU and they replied that I should turn off the switch 6 if there is at least one device connected to the computer/mac that supports "Wake Up" feature. And this is specified somewhere in the document even though I couldn't find yet. So, try turning off the switch 6 and waking up Mac with other device...

I have tested this and it all worked properly. Point to note, you cannot connect your mouse to your HHKB USB in this case.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 14:59:33 by dchadwick »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: HHKB not recognized by Mac on wake from sleep
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:43:44 »
When my HHKB still had the stock controller I never had this issue so I'd guess it has to do with the bluetooth receiver plugged into the board.

Have you tried plugging the receiver into the computer instead of the keyboard?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:04:14 »
Interesting, my SSK with a Teensy controller and Soarers FW can't wakeup my MacBook anymore (which worked for sure), since a few weeks. I have to plug it out an in again. With the Realforce 87U keyboard it works though, my HHKB I haven't used since a while. I'll try that tomorrow at work.
... ...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:33:44 »
Interesting, my SSK with a Teensy controller and Soarers FW can't wakeup my MacBook anymore (which worked for sure), since a few weeks. I have to plug it out an in again. With the Realforce 87U keyboard it works though, my HHKB I haven't used since a while. I'll try that tomorrow at work.

My setup may be different because I'm using a hackintosh but both of my HASU HHKBs can wake up my computer.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 21:52:55 »
This never used to be the case, but lately when I wake up my iMac, my HHKB is unresponsive until I unplug it and plug it back in. It definitely didn't do this before the past month or so, was always just connected all the time.

The way I'm waking up the computer is to click the mouse, which is wireless, and runs through a little wireless receiver which is plugged into one of the two USB ports on the back of the HHKB. So that tells me that at the very least, the receiver is still connecting to the mouse (and the computer) enough to make it work. But even so, the HHKB stays unresponsive to typing until I unplug that cable and replug it. I'm doing that from the keyboard end, btw, since it's easier to reach.

Also of note: occasionally, the mouse will suddenly stop working right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. The fix is to just unplug and replug that little wireless receiver, then all is well again.

I'm not connecting via a hub of any kind, just one of the iMac's built-in USB ports. I've tried restarting the computer.

Hmm, that's weird. I just woke up my hackintosh through the keyboard, but sometimes it isn't responsive for a few seconds, so I just hold down a key until it registers on the password screen.

I also woke up my MBA through the keyboard and it's on whatever the latest update is.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 22:44:09 »
I've experienced a similar issue on Windows which was related to the power settings for USB. Can't recall if there are similar settings for Mac.

The worst are the issues caused by Fast Boot glitches where the machine won't respond to any USB input after waking up (to do with performing a hybrid hybernation or something) and if the drivers are still in memory it will reject any of the 'duplicate' devices trying to connect. During this it's also impossible to enter UEFI on boot. Had to buy a PS/2 keyboard just to get things functioning again recently. The time before last that this occurred I made sure to pair my phone via Bluetooth so I could use its keyboard and touchpad to control Windows, which now allows me to use shutdown /r to perform a full shutdown and reboot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 April 2017, 22:46:34 by Coreda »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 00:24:38 »
When my HHKB still had the stock controller I never had this issue so I'd guess it has to do with the bluetooth receiver plugged into the board.

Unfortunately the metal body of the Mac itself seems to interfere with the receiver (ports are on the back) and it works very very poorly from back there.

What's odd is that I've had this receiver plugged into the HHKB for many months without issue.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 00:25:17 »

Are you on Sierra?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 00:27:52 »

Unfortunately the metal body of the Mac itself seems to interfere with the receiver (ports are on the back) and it works very very poorly from back there.

What's odd is that I've had this receiver plugged into the HHKB for many months without issue.
If that's the case then I don't know what the issue is. Worst case you need to buy as HASU controller, it'll cost $50ish but it'll fix the problem and you'll be able to program the HHKB.

Offline brep

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 07:11:41 »
I experienced same problem after a recent update of Mac OS X Sierra to 10.12.4, HHKB Professional 2 on Mac mini mid 2011.

This problem once crept in about one year ago, but vanished after an update of Mac OS, we could only count on next Mac OS update will fix this annoying bug.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 07:42:35 »

Are you on Sierra?

Yes!
... ...

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:38:43 »

Are you on Sierra?

Yes!

I can't say with 100% certainty, but the time frame since installing Sierra and these new errors does feel like it could correlate. I guess I'll just live with it for now.

I'm definitely not going to start ripping open my keyboard to put in a new controller anytime soon, but I could, maybe at some point down the road, imagine selling it and buying the new Bluetooth one, which would also enable me to use it with my iPhone and whatever else...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 11:32:31 »
https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/hhkb_support/faq_macos_sierra.html

Huh. Anybody using this? I can't tell from the release notes whether this is specifically geared to address the issue I posted or whether it just happens to be an updated version of the (totally irrelevant, in my experience*) driver software.

* The driver install notes say "By installing this driver you can download Eject, Vol_Up etc" but these keys work just fine on OS X (er, MacOS) without the driver. Volume and mute keys all work right out of the box the way they're labelled. Furthermore, FN+O and FN+P keys map to brightness down/up, respectively, because they seem to map to F14 and F15, which the OS assigns by default to brightness.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 11:47:18 by dchadwick »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:24:05 »
mac stands for most advanced computer..  so the keyboard must be at fault here..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:34:43 »

Huh. Anybody using this? I can't tell from the release notes whether this is specifically geared to address the issue I posted or whether it just happens to be an updated version of the (totally irrelevant, in my experience*) driver software.

* The driver install notes say "By installing this driver you can download Eject, Vol_Up etc" but these keys work just fine on OS X (er, MacOS) without the driver. Volume and mute keys all work right out of the box the way they're labelled. Furthermore, FN+O and FN+P keys map to brightness down/up, respectively, because they seem to map to F14 and F15, which the OS assigns by default to brightness.

I saw a blog where someone with a pevious OSX version had issues with wake up and a hhkb, their solution was to install the newest driver from PFU, then I google PFU and sierra and found that page.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 12:34:26 »

I saw a blog where someone with a pevious OSX version had issues with wake up and a hhkb, their solution was to install the newest driver from PFU, then I google PFU and sierra and found that page.

Good to know, thanks much for the info! Oddly, my HHKB has been behaving better the past few days (I guess it took notice when I typed this post on it) -- but if it acts up again I'll give that driver a shot.

Offline Eugene94

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 18:55:30 »

I have a macOS Sierra version 10.12.6, with which my HHKB Pro. 2 Type-S has the same issue. When I press on the link I end up on this page and press "update".

175783-0

Then I end up on this page with various options. Which one should I choose?

175785-1

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 19:03:18 »

I have a macOS Sierra version 10.12.6, with which my HHKB Pro. 2 Type-S has the same issue. When I press on the link I end up on this page and press "update".

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I assume the top one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 19:05:19 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Eugene94

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 15:27:45 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I assume the top one.

Both links lead to the same page, but after installing the software the problem is still present... I uninstalled the software, and received a long message in Japanese. I uninstalled again just in case and received a shorter message. Anyone know what is means?

175951-0

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 15:40:02 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I assume the top one.

Both links lead to the same page, but after installing the software the problem is still present... I uninstalled the software, and received a long message in Japanese. I uninstalled again just in case and received a shorter message. Anyone know what is means?

(Attachment Link)

The dialog says "it is already uninstalled."
no error there.

Offline Eugene94

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 15:51:20 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I assume the top one.

(Attachment Link)

The dialog says "it is already uninstalled."
no error there.

Thanks hasu, do you have any ideas how to solve this issue?

Offline agallery

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 23:04:20 »

I had the same problem with my HHKB Pro2 Type S for months. A thread on reddit from u/cotton100 saved me -

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/65gnvf/hhkb_not_waking_after_sleep_macos_sierra_10124/dmyhzpl/

Quote:
I asked PFU and they replied that I should turn off the switch 6 if there is at least one device connected to the computer/mac that supports "Wake Up" feature. And this is specified somewhere in the document even though I couldn't find yet. So, try turning off the switch 6 and waking up Mac with other device...

I have tested this and it all worked properly. Point to note, you cannot connect your mouse to your HHKB USB in this case.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 23:51:59 »
^ wow, nice. Thanks for relaying that info. Things tend to stay around a bit longer on GH than reddit so glad we could archive that.  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 04:16:22 »
While I am not experiencing this problem (I'm on a Mac, but I don't own an HHKB), I'm always happy when these little bugs are solved. Macs don't always receive some of the love they deserve when it comes to support... case-in-point was the length of time it took Apple and Logitech to work through their issues with Bluetooth connectivity in Sierra.

There was a change in how the BT packets were being recognized in macOS apparently which caused Logitech's mice to lose connectivity randomly when in BT mode. The only fix for the longest time was either use it with the wifi dongle (causing you to lose a USB port which can suck if you're on a laptop) or turning the mouse off until the BT disconnects and then turning it back on and waiting for it to be recognized again. I love my MX Master mouse and wasn't going to give it up, so I ended up buying a USB hub to add to my MacBook Air docking station so I could keep the mouse in wifi mode.

I believe they updated the firmware though and all is good now. I'll actually be picking up an MX Master V2 here soon as it comes in white now and I have the stone version which doesn't match any of my desk accessories haha. Plus, Logi's new Flow feature is dope and will easily come in handy for me.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, but my main point is I'm happy to see a resolution to a Mac-specific problem; a lot of times they get overlooked.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:50:37 »
I can't blame your Mac. When I first saw a HHKB, I didn't recognize it either. I was sure it was some kind of toy.

Then somebody explained it was an actual keyboard, but without the modifier and navigation keys for which we could thank decades of progress in keyboard design, so you had to hold down a lot more keys on it to do anything.

At that point I decided my life was already hard and complicated enough without making it twice as hard to type, too. (I take it the "Happy" part is sarcastic...?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:01:03 »
I can't blame your Mac. When I first saw a HHKB, I didn't recognize it either. I was sure it was some kind of toy.

Then somebody explained it was an actual keyboard, but without the modifier and navigation keys for which we could thank decades of progress in keyboard design, so you had to hold down a lot more keys on it to do anything.

At that point I decided my life was already hard and complicated enough without making it twice as hard to type, too. (I take it the "Happy" part is sarcastic...?)

*sees thread about people trying to solve a specific hardware issue*
*cracks knuckes*
*types "hilarious" response*
*sits back, another great day's work done*
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:00:36 by dchadwick »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:03:51 »

Quote:

This is great, thanks for sharing! I just flipped that DIP switch and will see if it helps.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 14:31:48 »
YOU NEED TO STOP USING THAT MAC RIGHT NOW AND SWITCH TO WINDOWS IMMEDIATELY! YOUR KEYBOARD IS NOT BEING RECOGNISED BECAUSE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM IS FUNDAMENTALLY CRAPPY. YOU NEED TO LOAD A COPY OF WINDOWS 98 TO TRULY UNLOCK YOUR COMPUTER'S POTENTIAL.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 04:34:13 »
YOU NEED TO STOP USING THAT MAC RIGHT NOW AND SWITCH TO WINDOWS IMMEDIATELY! YOUR KEYBOARD IS NOT BEING RECOGNISED BECAUSE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM IS FUNDAMENTALLY CRAPPY. YOU NEED TO LOAD A COPY OF WINDOWS 98 TO TRULY UNLOCK YOUR COMPUTER'S POTENTIAL.

I was legit irked as I started to read this comment, but immediately laughed when I noticed you mentioned Windows '98 and who was posting.

I don't think it's due to a flawed OS, but my money would be that since the HHKB is Japanese and all Apple products are built in China, there is just a continued Asian racism adopted into the two brands. Huge China is probably still mad that they were invaded by little Japan years ago, so each are designing flaws to just be petty and screw with each other  :))

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 12:44:09 »

Quote:

This is great, thanks for sharing! I just flipped that DIP switch and will see if it helps.

So far, so good. Haven't had to unplug/replug my HHKB in several days of wakig up my computer. Looks like flipping DIP switch 6 to off does the trick, at least for me.  :thumb:

edit: several weeks down the road, haven't seen this problem come up again. Seems solved to me. Thanks again, agallery!
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 14:56:07 by dchadwick »