Author Topic: [IC]GMK Gulf  (Read 6468 times)

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
[IC]GMK Gulf
« on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 00:33:02 »
This will be my first real Interest Check, for GMK GULF. I have been working on this set for a long time and finally have it to the point where I am liking it. I want to share, and collect feedback from all of you. Let's discuss :)

Inspired by this livery.

http://www.diecast.org/data/sac_cars/tsm10ac3_8.jpg
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 00:38:34 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline scwoopz

Re: [IC]GMK Gulf
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 00:50:40 »
Looks good. I think the black enters look out of place and the white spacebar does, too. You may run into some trouble because Yuri uses the same colors, but colorways-shmolorways.
ortho or shmortho

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 01:32:32 »
Here is another variation of color that I was exploring while discussing the color options on discord.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Gajible

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 01:48:01 »
Assuming both renders are somewhat colour correct -

both of these things are not like the other!

Looks like Gulf would be much more bright/vivid, as per the actual livery  :thumb:

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 06:18:21 »
Yes, I'll be on it, but please wait a few months, I'm broke with all these caps and keeps gbs at the moment

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 07:12:51 »
Yes, I'll be on it, but please wait a few months, I'm broke with all these caps and keeps gbs at the moment

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

This looks more like a possible 2018 drop. Needs to get the ball rolling I presume before anything really happens. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Means i have to wait for it, but also it means it gives my wallet some time to refill itself.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 00:12:35 »
I think that a blue spacebar would look a little better than the white. I like the reference to the white circle around the number but I feel it just doesn't look as good with the different colored spacebar.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 00:43:00 »
Really really into the idea of a Gulf livery colorway. I'd be absolutely in, it'll look great on my Filco camo.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 04:50:02 »
What do you think of doing F1-F4 and F9-F12 as novelties where the keycaps are still white, but with each F1, F2, etc. legend inside of a circle outlined in black and in a heavier font, like the numbers on the cars?  You definitely need to keep a little bit of white and black in here, and I'd like to see it show up as something that looks more like the number badging in the Gulf Oil livery.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 12:43:11 »
What do you think of doing F1-F4 and F9-F12 as novelties where the keycaps are still white, but with each F1, F2, etc. legend inside of a circle outlined in black and in a heavier font, like the numbers on the cars?  You definitely need to keep a little bit of white and black in here, and I'd like to see it show up as something that looks more like the number badging in the Gulf Oil livery.

I like this idea, but see if it can be done as a separate kit. I like my F-legends too much.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 13:07:33 »
as much as I am a fan of the gulf livery, I am not a huge fan of it on a keyboard.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 14:58:23 »
I'm curious.  Are you going with a custom color for the blue?  GMK's cyan is not tremendously bright and popping when seen in person - I say having Skeletor on my keyboard currently. 

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 15:11:39 »
I'm curious.  Are you going with a custom color for the blue?  GMK's cyan is not tremendously bright and popping when seen in person - I say having Skeletor on my keyboard currently.

Perhaps this mint might suffice, - and I do say that partly in jest. (Not my photo)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 15:21:02 »
Some of those photos make the GMK cyan look brighter than it is.  In person, it's not nearly as bright and popping a cyan.  It's still a nice color but feels like it has a bit more gray in it.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 00:57:51 »
Hey everyone - going to get through all your comments tomorrow after I'm done shipping. Sorry for the delay - have been moving!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 06:16:14 »
PMed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 00:44:14 »
Looks delish man! I like it :)

Got any ideas for novelties yet? Could you do the number logo for one of the bottom row alt/ctrl/win keys and replace number with the word or icon? Interested in what other ideas are floating around. Colours are tight.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 June 2017, 00:46:40 by BAS1C »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 03:20:08 »
Definitely like it!

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 11:23:03 »
Nice!  I'd love to see real caps made in this colorway.  They're very appealing for some odd reason.

I set up a custom one-off set for a friend a few months back for his Gulf-themed casemod he had going at the time:

Good luck on the IC! 
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!