Author Topic: 1978 Harris Smart Terminal Converted to USB and Restoration  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Sangdrax

1978 Harris Smart Terminal Converted to USB and Restoration
« on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:55:13 »
First post here, but I thought I should give a bit of a record of what I did in case someone else wants to fix one of these up, and as thanks for all the resources I found here in various threads.

So this keyboard has a bit of a story to it. The year is 1978. Harris has bought out the Sanders computer manufacturing that very year and they are sharing the same facility used for making them until Sanders is fully folded in. Actual terminal logic PCB's all still read Sanders 1977. Sanders up to this point has been using foam and foil capacitive switches in this line while Harris's older stuff was mostly microswitches.

On the outside the keyboard looks mostly the same as the other earlier Sanders IBM terminal clones. After all, these were advertised to be able to speak with just about any main brand mainframe from the era, including Harris's own.

But what Harris did in 1978 was change the keyboard. Outsourcing to Digitran for their new "tactile feel" capacitive leaf design, later advertised as the tactile butterfly. This keyboard is the earliest example I've found of it with a Digitran PCB date of 11/77. Surviving advertisements for the design are early 80's, like this one from 1982.

So I got this thing on a gamble pretty cheap since it looked like fun. It had seen it's full share of forty years of use and had a carpet of dustbunnies half an inch thick under the keys. The keycaps themselves were yellowed from that lovely original teal to a forest green. But all the important electromechanical parts looked basically new under the dust. Little corrosion and less rust.

First thing I did was remove the keyboard module from the thick ABS plastic case.

Then I got to cleaning and figuring out what I would need to bring it back to life. Luckily, it uses a 8x16 row/column design so an xwhatsit Model F controller was the perfect fit. Unluckily, it had an integrated controller, so every last chip resistor and cap had to be desoldered from the board before that could be hooked up.

Here's what the PCB itself looks like with the leafs and controller, minus the nice 1977 intel chip that they were thoughtful enough to use a socket for.

And here is the plunger plate with the stems and springs.

So after desoldering all the controller parts from the keyboard module, I traced out the pads for each row and column on top and bottom of the 2 layer PCB and marked them for hookup to the Model F controller, plus a couple grounds to that nice huge ground plane on the bottom of the board.

Then I got to hooking it all up.

While all this electronic stuff was going on, I was also working on the keyboard from the physical end, and gave some retrobright a go on the keys which are a lovely thick doubleshot ABS. There's some bloom on some of the caps and I haven't gone and repolished them back to normal yet, but they are definitely teal again and all the white bits are white.

The spacebar as the most yellowed and most stubborn of all, still remains slightly darker than the rest, but I was still very impressed with the results, even if they might not last forever.

And so with everything hooked up, it was time for the moment of truth. Firing up xwhatsit's USB capsense utility, I started manually adjusting the voltage threshold until I could get keypresses. At about 250 I was getting them on bottoming out. Cranking it down even further, I kept raising the actuation point until I got it about where it was originally for the keyboard at 158. No ghosting, full NKRO, I was pretty darn happy everything was working as intended.

I then went ahead and mapped out the base layer, haven't got around to what I want for the first function layer yet. Kept everything mostly the same except I made Clear into escape, turned the exclamation point and backtab into the bracket keys, made Programmable Action 1 into Print Screen and PA 2 into numlock, Reset into Ctrl, Enter into Alt and so on.

Can't wait to fully finish cleaning it up, but it's nice to bring something like this back to fully functional life. I have to say, a pretty cool keyboard and fun to type on. After all, I typed this whole post with it.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: 1978 Harris Smart Terminal Converted to USB and Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 17:06:28 »
Beautiful. Well done.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 17:30:08 »
Such amazingly beautiful sphericals!

Offline Sangdrax

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:50:52 »
Thanks for the compliments. I'm still in the process of polishing away any blotchy bits with 3M Creme Cleanser (basically just benzisulfonic acid to nuetralize any remaining peroxide and 800'ish grit sand) and waiting on some ABS-specific silicone grease to lube the stems.

In the interest of collecting more information on this series, this is the 1977 Sanders with the Keytronic keyboard with foam and foil switches.
https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/key-tronic-pcb065-01614-002b-t3594.html

The most interesting thing is the doubleshot keycaps are identical between both keyboards and are interchangeable.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 00:53:34 »
Beautiful. Well done.
Agreed, this is amazing work!

Offline Chaos_Engine

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 16:50:04 »
Wow looks awesome !!! Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 22:13:01 »
Very nice restoration - good job :thumb: :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sangdrax

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:11:01 »
Thought I would post the final version of everything now that it's lubed and repolished. Not as dramatic a difference as the original work but all the minor blotchiness is gone from the keys now. It's especially noticeable on the the dark keys on the lefthand side of the board. I've been using it as a daily driver and it's getting better in keyfeel the more it's used, probably the silicone grease getting onto all the surfaces it needs to at the right thickness. There's a lot of contact surface area on those cross-shaped stems.

Gonna hook up a solenoid to it soon just for fun. I sourced a modern one that should work according to the specs xwhatsit's expansion board is set for.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:52:13 »
incoming SA GB for that colorway

beautiful board my dude
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 21:58:37 »
Looks better than new!  And works better than new too :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sangdrax

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 21:48:48 »
Now that everything is kind of broken in, I checked out the actuation force for the regular linear keys today using some old calibration lab weights. It's about 50g dead even across the board minus the spacebar and the numpad 0. Pretty comfortable.

Also a heads up that another of these has popped up on ebay, erroneously classed as a 1977 if anyone was looking for one of their own. I thought about snagging it myself but I have to go pick up an old IBM 3278 terminal tomorrow so I'm sure that will be eating up my project time for a bit.